Programs on the rise/fall

D1 Womens Lacrosse
shootingspace

Programs on the rise/fall

Post by shootingspace »

I thought it would be interesting to talk about teams that are improving and maybe even surprising people as well as those programs that may be going in the wrong direction. A few off the top of my head would be Liberty and Army .
wlaxnut

Re: Programs on the rise/fall - Michigan Wolverines

Post by wlaxnut »

Good topic! Certainly the Michigan Wolverines are on the rise. Not just because they have won 10 games in a row dating back to last season, but because I think coach Hannah Nielsen's philosophy is beginning to take hold with the players. They ride aggressively and attack the goal aggressively which should help keep them in or near the polls. I believe this year is the first time they have been ranked in the polls (currently #12), and they seem to have put themselves in a good position to qualify for the conference playoffs in May. Many of their key players are juniors and sophomores. They will only be graduating a few seniors this year. As they succeed it will undoubtedly be easier for Nielson to recruit.
Dr. Tact

Re: Programs on the rise/fall

Post by Dr. Tact »

misunderstood the original post deleted
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

I was hoping to get some discussion started about any programs that people have some insights. Also any that may have some red flags (Louisville ) with coaching or toxic environments. I remember laxpower forums gave some insights that help HS parents make decisions also so lets just keep it open for discussions.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

Lets put SBU and possibly Penn State on that declining list
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

shootingspace wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:12 pm Lets put SBU on that declining list.
Fixed it for you. :lol:

Peace, out.

TL
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

shootingspace wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:12 pm Lets put SBU and possibly Penn State on that declining list
The Seawolves again lost a game at the end— this time, holding a four goal lead with a little over 10 minutes left, choked it away and lost by a goal.
AllRob

Post by AllRob »

Is this the type of discussion that we really want to have on this forum? It is one thing to speak about rising programs, but talking about declining ones seems more than a bit negative. Remember please that the participants in these programs are young women 18-22 or so and not professionals.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

I sometimes wonder about this. Do you guys ever hang out on the men's lax forum? There are often highly critical assessments of individual player's play, attitude, effort over there. It is significantly more critical than what we see on this forum. I wonder why that is. Are we more protective of women's players because they're female? As sports fans are we more used to ripping male athletes and less comfortable doing it with female ones? I'm not suggesting we should start writing about how terrible such and such female player played today. I actually prefer a more positive tone. I'm just curious about the difference in tone between the two boards and wonder whether other regular posters on this forum think that they may be more gentle in their criticism of female college players than male college players.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

I was thinking more insights on programs/coaching than specific play of 18-22 y\o. We have some great posters with much more knowledge than the average bear. Teams struggling or rising is just opinions but can be some help to some parents in recruiting years. Yes the mens college forums are brutal naming specific kids and play and we don't need all of that.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

shootingspace wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:24 pm I was thinking more insights on programs/coaching than specific play of 18-22 y\o. We have some great posters with much more knowledge than the average bear. Teams struggling or rising is just opinions but can be some help to some parents in recruiting years. Yes the mens college forums are brutal naming specific kids and play and we don't need all of that.
Well said, shootingspace.
crusader

Post by crusader »

Whats up with Towson 0-6 and ODU with 1 win?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

crusader wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:30 pm Whats up with Towson 0-6 and ODU with 1 win?
Can’t explain 0-6. Towson has played all ranked teams—4 on the road. Gotta give them credit for scheduling tough teams.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Badlands wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:42 pm I sometimes wonder about this. Do you guys ever hang out on the men's lax forum? There are often highly critical assessments of individual player's play, attitude, effort over there. It is significantly more critical than what we see on this forum. I wonder why that is. Are we more protective of women's players because they're female? As sports fans are we more used to ripping male athletes and less comfortable doing it with female ones? I'm not suggesting we should start writing about how terrible such and such female player played today. I actually prefer a more positive tone. I'm just curious about the difference in tone between the two boards and wonder whether other regular posters on this forum think that they may be more gentle in their criticism of female college players than male college players.
Agree with your sentiments here, Bl. IMO, there are a whole lot of people in the wlax world who are overly sensitive about anything other than statements of praise about their wlaxers. These same 18-22 young gals could also be training to be combat infantry soldiers or jet fighter pilots, I don't believe they're as fragile as many would lead you to believe they are. Take a warning from one who has been spanked a couple of times for comments I thought were pretty innocent, be careful, they're not well received in the world of wlax....and whatever you do, NEVER mention anything about legs!!!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

New/Newish Programs on the rise:
Michigan
Colorado
High Point

New/Newish Programs that never took off:
Furman
Campbell
Wofford
Delaware State

New/Newish TBD:
East Carolina
Elon
Marquette
Kennesaw State
Kent State

Oldies on the rise:
Loyola
Virginia Tech

Oldies on the falling behind:
UConn
Oregon
BU

Thoughts?
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

There are a bunch of programs that never make it into the ncaa tourney and just seem to be existing without drawing much attention. And maybe that’s fine for them and the kids who pick those schools. The programs from the more established conferences and bigger athletic programs stand out: Cal, Vandy, Brown, Harvard.

Some of these programs have new coaches and should be viewed with an open mind such as Harvard, Vandy and BU.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

Just thinking about how crucial a good coaching staff can be. Some teams like the Winthrop coach going to VT and turning that program around immediately. Would be nice to get some insights into some other programs.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Shall we add Brown University to programs on the rise?

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... -princeton
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:43 pm Shall we add Brown University to programs on the rise

Bad loss to Bryant -lets see after Fla and UPenn games.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

shootingspace wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:13 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:43 pm Shall we add Brown University to programs on the rise

Bad loss to Bryant -lets see after Fla and UPenn games.
They seem to be making upgrades to the program internally which may begin showing results on the field in the hopefully near future from what I got from the article.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”