https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... t-done-yet

Notre Dame had 10 seniors and two graduate stuidents:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... ks-to-2021

Ohlmiller and Kennedy back in 2021:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... ll-be-back
Cletus

Re: Extra year granted

Post by Cletus »

I’m seeing more and more posts on social media where teams are congratulating their seniors. Penn State, High Point, Louisville and Vanderbilt to name some of the more recent posts during the last 24 hours or so. There is an aspect of finality to the posts unless I am misinterpreting, which is entirely possible and likely. Perhaps these players have opted to get on with their life after college rather than hang out for another year to play (and study obviously).
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

I think the uptick in those posts is probably due to graduations over the past couple weeks. Not sure if they can necessarily be interpreted one way or the other.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Syracuse had already brought back Hawryschuk and Goldstock and now 8 more players are joining.

Two of the returning players are R-Sr and two are R-Jr.

Rahal is the only one not coming back.

They are bring in 7 recruits, 2 of which are goalies.

Roster size: 45

https://twitter.com/CuseWLAX/status/1263177941388795904
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

As a parent of a high school player this is absolutely what I feared. Maybe this year will be an anomaly, but if schools are just going to fill rosters with 5th year transfers, they are going to destroy the HS class of 2022.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

spartanslynx wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 pm Syracuse had already brought back Hawryschuk and Goldstock and now 8 more players are joining.

Two of the returning players are R-Sr and two are R-Jr.

Rahal is the only one not coming back.

They are bring in 7 recruits, 2 of which are goalies.

Roster size: 45

https://twitter.com/CuseWLAX/status/1263177941388795904
wow, so guessing no budget cuts for Syracuse wlax - that's a big roster.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

With 10 seniors returning to the same team next year, can we finally agree that this 5th year eligibility issue has officially gotten out of control?
I hate to think what will happen if Syracuse wins the NC next year.
smoova

Post by smoova »

njfanlax wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 pm With 10 seniors returning to the same team next year, can we finally agree that this 5th year eligibility issue has officially gotten out of control?
I hate to think what will happen if Syracuse wins the NC next year.
laxfan22 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 pm As a parent of a high school player this is absolutely what I feared. Maybe this year will be an anomaly, but if schools are just going to fill rosters with 5th year transfers, they are going to destroy the HS class of 2022.
Took one improvident NCAA decision to move lacrosse from "growing the game" to "eating its young" ...
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

4 seniors returning to Virginia Tech for extra year

https://hokiesports.com/news/2020/5/21/ ... ogram.aspx
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

Does anyone have first hand knowledge whether coaches have been encouraging all seniors to stay next year to play or just selective players on the team?
harflax

Post by harflax »

Coaches are asking players they feel are 'impact players and are good teammates." That is direct quote from a conversation I had with a coach from a perennial top 10 ten program. The coach added they will follow this formula with the three remaining classes when they are seniors.
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

The impression I get from this question is that you just want the answer to be the latter so that you can get mad about something
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njfanlax wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 am Does anyone have first hand knowledge whether coaches have been encouraging all seniors to stay next year to play or just selective players on the team?
There are 110 D1 women's lax teams, 100 D2, and 300 D3 teams - 500 teams that carry a conservative average of 30 kids per program. If your daughter is a good student and a good lacrosse player - she will find a place to play if that is the objective. A REALISTIC assessment of academic fit and lax skills will make the process much easier. Good luck!
ETLhmbaba

Post by ETLhmbaba »

The average roster across all 3 divisions is closer to 20 players per team. There is a lot of room in college lacrosse for '21 & '22 graduates.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Unless you assume that kids are just wanting to play lax in college, pointing to 110 D1/300 D3 schools doesn't do all that much - you have to look at the schools that these girls would be interested in attending as well and, no matter how you slice it, there are going to be less opportunities then there would have been absent the NCAA decision (and that's not even taking into account if roster sizes contract, which is certainly possible). The only question is "how many" less opportunities will exist - a kid who would have otherwise have gone to a Centennial Conference program who now may be squeezed, isn't going to attend some random school just for the opportunity to play college lacrosse - she likely will end her career in high school and attend that type of school as a "regular" student.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Inside Lacrosse did a survey about how D1 Mens lacrosse coaches would recruit. Article is up on their web page.

The most interesting, to me at least, comment from these coaches was a comment where the coach asked to be anonymous.

"I think the 2021 class is in trouble,” said one DI coach who asked that his comment be kept anonymous. “If you have a good amount of kids on the current roster that are going to use their extra year at your school, it's going to have a big trickle-down effect. Basically, the 2019 and 2020 classes just potentially combined. A huge 2020 class is going to make for a small 2021 class.”

I believe this coach puts a voice to a concern some have here. This is the men's side but the same would hold true on the women's side as well I would think. It is but one coaches view however.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don’t follow mens and don’t know their recruiting timetables. But on the women’s side, a lot of schools, certainly the big ones, have already filled up their 2021 classes.

So for women’s would this comment, then, be more applicable to the 2022s?
Bart

Post by Bart »

Time line similar. 9/1 Junior year direct contact.

Could impact 2022’s to a greater extent. This particular coach thought it would impact 2021’s. Your guess is as good as any.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm I don’t follow mens and don’t know their recruiting timetables. But on the women’s side, a lot of schools, certainly the big ones, have already filled up their 2021 classes.

So for women’s would this comment, then, be more applicable to the 2022s?
Having a 2021, I would guess that most of the top 80 (just a number I picked) schools have filled their 21 class.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Perhaps it is an issue on only men’s side. Perhaps the coach In the article is wrong. Wont know for certain until the next signing day.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”