Centennial Conference 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
mdline

Centennial Conference 2019

Post by mdline »

Unless I'm missing the thread, there isn't one yet dedicated to the Centennial Conference. Gettysburg and Dickinson are presumably the class of the group this year and a number of programs are then lumped together more closely in the middle. Hope those two continue to represent well nationally, but surely the conference play gets more interesting if other programs can close the gap on them.
WASHFAN

Re: Centennial Conference 2019

Post by WASHFAN »

Thanks for starting the post mdline. Id think Gettysburg and F&M, with next 2 slots being contested by Swarth,Dickinson, Wash. Haverford had a great year last year, but the coaching change may set them back a little in the short run. Anyway you slice it, the conference schedule is tough. Each of these teams is capable of beating the other on any given day. Last year both Wash, Dickinson, and Ursinus took Gburg to the limit..
richard

Post by richard »

I can't say that I am surprised by the result but Ursinus closed really well vs Stevenson on Saturday. Last year played a bunch of close games. If they are 1 or 2 goals better this year they are very competitive with the big boys.
WAC might be stepping up this year also. They didn't have any trouble scoring goals vs Berry but their defense might need to tighten up a little.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Gburg is best in class with F&M , Dickinson, WAC close behind.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Did you mean F&M rather than York? I'm sure you did, and I agree.
Go Bullets!
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm Gburg is best in class with York, Dickinson, WAC close behind.
People often forget that York has not only never won the Centennial Conference championship, but they have never even made the conference tournament!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

boredatwork wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:41 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:35 pm Gburg is best in class with York, Dickinson, WAC close behind.
People often forget that York has not only never won the Centennial Conference championship, but they have never even made the conference tournament!
That’s because people often forget York is, and has always been, in the Capital Athletic Conference (which they HAVE won, over Salisbury no less). And by often I mean this is the first time I’ve seen it....
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Greetings Pocket,
There have been rumors about the demise of the CAC. Is it possible that YCP is considering joining Centennial?

Maybe Dehunt has inadvertently leaked something.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Now that’s an interesting thought. Yes I hear rumblings when it comes to the CAC. Perhaps he’s on to something...
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

So far my assessment of strength in centennial has been all wrong. Ursinus and Dickinson are leading the way. Ursinus in particular has its stuff together. Nothing against Salisbury (who played wildly dominant) but Gettysburg had no real offensive identity. The kept doing the same thing with the same result. We get to see if F&M learned from the Lynchburg game this weekend vs W&L in the battle if the ampersands. Shoreman have much work to do.
pucksandbones

Post by pucksandbones »

Here is where I would rank the teams at this point in the season

Top Tier
1. Gburg - I'm not sure getting shelled by Salisbury is a reason to count them out...they return their top 8 leading scorers they will figure out. Letting up 17 is the bigger concern, losing two starting poles and goalie has hurt, but I'm sure Coach J will get it shored up.
2. F&M - Close loss to a good Lynchburg team, We'll see how much losing their QB Rogers on offense will hurt them this year
3. Dickinson - hasn't been really tested so far this year, this weekends game vs Cabrini will be telling. Graduated a ton on offense but looks like they have a few guys stepping up and have a little more depth scoring this year.

Middle of the pack
Not a lot to differentiate these teams as of yet
4. Ursinus - seems to have made a nice turn around from last year with two nice wins over Top 20 teams Cortland and Stevenson, tight game with Mary Washington is concerning, but a win is a win.
5. WAC - played a good contest vs a strong W&L team so I guess I'll put them 5...not quite like beating two top 20 teams, but also more than what Swarthmore has done so far this year.
6. Swarthmore - Hasn't been tested this year. Return most of their offense.

Bottom tier
7. Muhlenberg - Close game with a not particularly strong Scranton team
8. McDaniel - Played a decent game with York.
9. Haverford - Getting shelled by Cabrini early in the year followed up by losses to Eastern and a bad loss to Stockton is not a great start to the year. Coaching change seems to have hurt more than WashFan thought. I think they are probably better than this, but can't put them higher with what they've done so far.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Any word on reason for UC Montclair postponed?
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

Very early days but Gettysburg might have found their form this past Saturday. Still not convinced about the goalie situation (Brady was sooo good).
The move of Blake Gray to attack has paid off brilliantly. Ursinus final score was very flattering to the Bears. GB dominated the game.

Not convinced Dickinson (struggled with Wash) or F&M are quite to the level of the Bullets. Tomorrow nights game in Lancaster will tell a good deal!

It would appear that the Centennial may only get the AQ in the NCAA this year. Too many non-conference losses. Thoughts?
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

tdaussie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:19 pm It would appear that the Centennial may only get the AQ in the NCAA this year. Too many non-conference losses. Thoughts?
Huh? I'd characterize this as slightly above average for the Centennial over the past few years. Gettysburg, Dickinson, and Ursinus all have strong Pool C resumes going in to conference play, and the middle-to-bottom of the conference held up well enough that they won't be terrible losses if they pull an upset. Should easily snag at least one Pool C, safely two if F&M wins the AQ.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

No way Centennial garners 2 pool C’s, hate to say it but Nescac is looking like 2 C’s for sure and if everything fell right maybe a third which would be absurd but it’s possible .... Centennial is the second best conference nationally. Very good lacrosse
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Agree with Dehunt ... no way the Centennial gets 2 Pool C bids.
There are only a total of eight such bids available. Cabrini will certainly take one and the NESCAC will take at least 2 more if not 3. (Tufts, Amherst, Wesleyan, Bates maybe even Williams - one gets the AQ and the others take at least 2 bids, probably 3.
The CAC will get one for sure (either Salisbury or York, and possibly 2 if CNU warrants a bid).
ODAC will take another, as likely will the Liberty Conference (RIT, RPI, SLU, Union). So if we give one to the Centennial we are already at or over the limit of 8. That being the case, don’t see how they get a 2nd Pool C bid.
The CAC has cleaned house so far this season against both the ODAC and the Centennial conferences, so I’d think that the CAC would garner a 2nd Pool C bid before either of those conferences?
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

Definitely not a given that ODAC garners a pool C.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

As of today in my opinion
Centennial -AQ only, ODAC-AQ only, CAC-AQ plus 1 unless CNU wins then AQ plus 2, NESCAC AQ plus 3
Lots of lacrosse left to play.
GO BULLETS!
tdaussie

Post by tdaussie »

Great analysis on this thread. Thanks.

Trust me, I want the Centennial to get as many bids as possible but, as has been said, with only 8 Pool C on offer, the numbers get tight. Especially with the strength of the NESCAC.

Possible that loser of NCAC championship (Denison/OWU) don't get a bid as they have in recent years so that might open up one bid.

Early Pool C bids prediction:
Cabrini - 1
NESCAC - 3
ODAC - 1
CAC - 1
Liberty - 1
Centennial/NCAC - 1

Been fun to watch the dominoes fall over the next month!

D3 lax is the best.
D-III

Post by D-III »

Cabrini is in Pool B and can lock up that bid with a win over Salisbury. The only competition to take it is Colorado College, if they win out, which is unlikely.

Beyond Tufts, Amherst, Wes, Williams, Bates, you can add Midd to the list of Pool C contenders (recall they beat Dickinson) from the NESCAC, if they get a couple more wins, including today vs. Union they are heavily in the mix as well. As a whole the conference is 34-3 out of conference right now. It could be an unprecedented year, but we need to see how the circular firing squad fleshes out as some of these teams are going to lose multiple times in the next month.

NESCAC/Centennial/Liberty look poised to absorb most of the Pool C bids, along with the York/Sal loser.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”