17. Ithaca
18. Stevenson
19. Lynchburg
20. Cortland
remote

Re: Top 20 Ranking D3

Post by remote »

Looks good for preseason poll
I think that W&L is a little high. No too bad maybe switch them and Dickinson.
RIT probably higher than Tufts too. Switch those 2.
But looks good for most part.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

^^ I concur on both suggestions. W&L for Dickinson, and RIT for Tufts (though this one is a tad closer)

And the homer in me likes York over W&L, Dickinson and Cabrini...
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

To be somewhat contrarian, W&L senior A.J. Witherell might be the best attackman in D3 and if all the pieces come together for the Generals, W&L could be a Final Four team (yes, that is a big "if"). Since Daly left for Brown, Tufts just hasn't been as good; yet the Jumbos continue getting the benefit of the doubt in rankings. The NESCAC is a terrific conference, but I just don't see post-Daly Tufts being that good. Still, some NESCAC school seems likely to be playing Memorial Day weekend. Pre-season D3 rankings strike me as very backward-looking, and every year there seems to be at least one surprise team at/near the top come late April.
richard

Post by richard »

I've been thinking that USCG might be top twenty this year. After all they did beat Wesleyan last year and are bringing back a load of players. Well coached too.
Dips_lax

Post by Dips_lax »

Having seen a bunch of these teams last year and in the fall here is my 2c:

W&L is legit -Witherell is a game changer and going to get his points. w&L is a very very good team. Top 10 for sure not top 5 yet.
Dickinson lost their entire starting attack including Maher. 151 g & 52% of the offense. Question is how to replace that. That said, defensively they are very sound with Pellicano in the cage Usich on the wing and they will possess the ball a lot with strong FO. Question if they can score enough or in tight games. I did see them play and beat a very strong Stevens team in the fall.
york and F&M played nearly equally for 3q in the fall before subs. And that was without entire F&M jr class who was studying abroad.
Gettysburg hasn’t lost much and were a goal away from the national championship game. Not sure how they aren’t top 3.

Centennial will be very strong - jump ball for #2 with Dickinson and F&M. Time to get 3 into the NCAA from this conference... F&M out of conf much stronger this year with Amherst, Denison and W&L so hopefully getting an at large becomes a little easier. Ok rant over

I concur, would have been nice to see coast guard.
remote

Post by remote »

Also I do believe ST Lawrence, Springfield, Coast Guard could be on this list as well!
I think a top 25-30 in D3 is a must. Too many teams from 6-35 that are equal in D3. 25 teams is still to 10% of D3. 90% is an A.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

I predict the 2019 D 3 Season will see eleven legit NC contenders in the South Region and four in the North creating a real scramble for the Group C pool and seeding problems like sending YCP North for the playoffs.

North: 3 from NESCAC plus RIT.

South: CAC 3; ODAC 2; NCAC 2; Centennial 2; Mustangs; Cabrini

Throw in a dark horse or two and we have an exciting season coming up.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everybody on this thread.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Who are you leaving out of the 3 ranked ODAC teams?

W&L may be the team to beat but not sold on their midfield and defense... They lose Dardin at attach too who QBed when teams doubled Witheral. He may be the best but without a supporting cast... we’ll see
NOKE.. can’t seem to finish a season.. they lost IV and other multi year starters. Goalie is awesome and attack is too but not sure they have the depth.
Lynchburg returns all starting attack and the starting attackman Thomas,who was lost to injurey in game 2 last year..
Starting LSM and both SSDMs are back. They lose McGuire but return a stable of Strong, big midfielders.
2 starting pokes return And the Goalie Is a senior waiting in the wings. Like NOKE’s HC coach Bill Pilot, Koudelka was a goalie so the 6x6 is always well kept.,
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Who are you leaving out of the 3 ranked ODAC teams?
Greetings Nothinbut,

Initially I had ODAC 3; then 2 or 3; settled on 2 for my post. Given the competition I just don't see more than 2 from ODAC getting invited for the NCAA playoffs. If the conference dropped some of its weaker members, the top four might fare better. What do you think?

Of the two I like W&L and UofL. Agree with your analysis there.

Looking forward to the UofL Salisbury game. Good early test for both teams and should be a barn burner with two very good offenses; a young, inexperienced Gull defense; two great coaches and a hard fought, clean, entertaining game for the fans. Weather.....fingers crossed.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Early polls really mean nothing. ODACs big 4 always battle. HSC can surprise.
All have tough OOC schedules but running tables and getting 3 ODAC teams is unlikely.
I’m a UofL fan so.. by the way, word is Frosh class may be the strongest Eva!!

Salisbury is away and Lynchburg tunes up against UVA and CNU so I’ll go with home team by 2 in a bruiser. Weather is always a fun factor in the earlies...

I enjoy your posts. Keep em coming
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

MrLax2U wrote:I predict the 2019 D 3 Season will see eleven legit NC contenders in the South Region and four in the North creating a real scramble for the Group C pool and seeding problems like sending YCP North for the playoffs.

North: 3 from NESCAC plus RIT.

South: CAC 3; ODAC 2; NCAC 2; Centennial 2; Mustangs; Cabrini...
Well, it might be a long shot to say that the NCAC has 2 legit NC contenders. Last season was the first time since the conference got its AQ that both Denison and OWU made it to the NCAAs. While OWU returns its starting attack line and plenty of quality offensive middies, the Bishops lose an excellent goalie, one SSDM who was 1st team AA and D3 specialty player of the year, another very good SSDM and a couple of good starting long poles. I believe OWU loses its starting FOGO, but is bringing in a promising freshman. On paper, it sure looks like Denison has the clear edge in the NCAC. Plus, OWU hasn't made it to the national semi's since 1998. Plantholt has done a good job re-building the program, but the quality of top D3 teams is so good nowadays. OWU opens its schedule at home against RIT; if the Battling Bishops win that one, I'll happily eat my words of doubt.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Plantholt has done a good job re-building the program
Greetings Fann and Merry Christmas.

Agree with your point about Coach Plantholt. Getting RIT and Salisbury to agree to travel to Ohio for a game gets him an A+ for advocacy and certainly boosts the SOS.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hello MrLax, holidays greetings to one and all from Lexington, VA. Although there won't be any games going, I do plan on taking a walk to the W&L lacrosse/football arena. OWU has been playing Salisbury for many, many years. The RIT series resumed in 2017, with OWU losing a home game by one goal. I say "resumed" because the two teams met twice in 1983, once regular season and once in the NCAAs, with the Bishops taking both games. RIT's coach then was Bill Tierney (OWU's was Jay Martin, who still coaches the OWU soccer team).
richard

Post by richard »

Other teams to consider for top 20 based on program strength and other factors.
Springfield
USCG
SLU
RPI
Union
Endicott
WNEU
Hampden Sidney
Colorado College
Middlebury
Williams
Bates
Bowdoin
I'm also thinking that some of the other midwestern teams like Illinois Wesleyan might be making more noise this year. As was said teams from 5-35 are all pretty strong.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The mention of Middlebury, Williams, Bates and Bowdoin makes me wonder about other NESCAC schools: Colby, Conn College and Trinity; such a good conference! If you mention Illinois Wesleyan, then Aurora probably deserves mention. For the past couple of seasons, Messiah has seemed close to a break-through. There are now 248 D3 programs.
lilax

Post by lilax »

FannOLax wrote:Since Daly left for Brown, Tufts just hasn't been as good; yet the Jumbos continue getting the benefit of the doubt in rankings. The NESCAC is a terrific conference, but I just don't see post-Daly Tufts being that good. Still, some NESCAC school seems likely to be playing Memorial Day weekend.
You might want to check their stats from last year. Tufts went 18-2. They beat National Champion Wesleyan twice while losing to them by 1 in the Quarterfinals. They return 7 of their top 10 scorers, 2 starting defenseman their goalie and FOGO. They should be one of the favorites for the #1 seed in the North with RIT, Amherst and Wesleyan.
FannOLax wrote:The mention of Middlebury, Williams, Bates and Bowdoin makes me wonder about other NESCAC schools: Colby, Conn College and Trinity; such a good conference!.
Colby and Trinity are in the middle of substantial rebuilds. Colby I thought was vastly improved last year, I thought they were well coached but lacked athletes. Coach Tarnow had Trinity ready for every game. They were tough, scrappy, and bought into their blue collar mentality.

I don't see Bowdoin as a ranked team. They will take a couple steps back. They graduated 19 seniors with many of them starting. They return a couple pieces, but there are more question marks about them.

Conn is intriguing. They graduated their All American FOGO, but return a solid core of players led by PJ Kelleher, who is the most underrated attackman in the league.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hmmm, okay, yes the Jumbos had a strong year in 2018. Thinking I'll have to be in Middletown this April for Tufts @ Wesleyan. Thanks lilax; I'd be interested in your analysis of Wesleyan, Tufts and Amherst, either here or in the NESCAC thread.
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

FannOLax wrote:Hmmm, okay, yes the Jumbos had a strong year in 2018. Thinking I'll have to be in Middletown this April for Tufts @ Wesleyan. Thanks lilax; I'd be interested in your analysis of Wesleyan, Tufts and Amherst, either here or in the NESCAC thread.
I think that you have solid teams throughout D3, While I realize that York (Very Good Team) was able to go to Amherst and get the win last year..., I got believe that the Mammoth are the team to beat in the NESCAC this year. Loaded with returning talent, new horses, some playoff experience under their belt ... I like JT's boys in 2019, not only to take conference but be there for Memorial Day Weekend for the NC... and joining the brotherhood with Wesleyan, Tufts & Middlebury.

The new shot clock rules play heavily in their favor based upon their run and gun style of play. Great FO, potent Offense & solid goal play.., baring key injuries Amherst is where you want to place you bets on.

Additionally, I think you can't take your eyes off of Williams as well, another team returning talent and experience.....Tuft's is Tufts,... its just about winning, either by 10 or 1, does not matter -their opponent always plays like its their NC Game. Wesleyan, I'm not sure about, lost a lot and could see a "Hangover" in Middletown.

As far at the rest: Other than Hamilton who has struggles over the year. It's any given Sunday, all have the ability to play at extremely level. Little drop back over the years for Bowdoin, Middlebury & Bates, improvements in Colby, CtConn & Trinity make the NESCAC makes them the SEC of D3 Men's Lax. the conference where there is no off days

Favorites Outside the NESCAC,

Salisbury, RIT, York, Gettysburg and WL ( replacing Dickinson)
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Great post and quick overview of the NESCAC; thanks.
Would be interested in your take on the other 5 squads you mentioned.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”