W&L 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldlaw

Re: W&L 2019

Post by oldlaw »

I have had an excellent and very helpful email exchange with Coach McCabe and understand completely why he handed the game as he did and think he did the right things for the team, Ferrum and the tradition of lax at W&L.

As others have noted, Coach McCabe has a well deserved reputation for sportsmanship and not running up the score. Due to exams and limitations imposed by the administration on practice, the team had only practiced three times since April 4--and had not played in two weeks. Coach MaCabe was concerning about the team getting in rhythm after the long break (and lots of us remember that more many years the first game after exams was H-SC and that The Generals were frequently pretty rusty in that game). That was the motivating factor for how he handle his players, but as noted below, everyone got lots of playing time.

AJ had not practiced much during this two week break and Coach McCabe wanted to get him back into game shape. At the end of the first half, 31 out of 48 players had played, and everyone played at least a full quarter by the end of the game. Given the shot clock issues, which have been mentioned by others, it seems to me like Coach McCabe, contrary to my earlier comment, handled this situation very well.

I really appreciate the time and thought that Coach McCabe devoted to his explanation to me--as he has always been, very classy.

GO GENERALS!!!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&L and Lynchburg hanging by a thread in the polls, W&L at 18, Lynchburg 20. One goal losses to York#3 gettysburg#9 and Denison #13.....Lynchburg lost to Salisbury#1 by 2 goals , York#3 1 goal , Wesleyan #5 1 goal and beat # 16 F&M.....one goal losses in 5 games to highly ranked teams between these two teams. Don’t know what to make of these two teams from a national perspective. Are either one built for a final 4. Their record would say no, but in looking at the scores one has to wonder if they get hot it’s possible. I think W&L is better built for a run because of #21, Hodgson and company plus Taylor in the cage. Totally confused by W&L offensively. Way too many athletes along with 21 not to be more productive. Their spacing at times is terrible looking like a summer league pickup game. Many times one D man is in a position to cover two. With a player like AJ you’d think they’d be more adept at the 2 man game. They have a number of lefties could they run an Offense like Denver where they play sides. Greenspon is so effective on simply an old school sweep left handed yet I don’t see it enough. Hamil who has all the attributes of an attackman rarely inverts. Some D men hate being brought up top, maybe AJ could initiate from up top more often . The offense with the talent level should be much better.

As this weekend approaches both teams stat lines are pretty even other than face offs where W&L has a decided advantage. That advantage holds so long as W&L doesn’t continue their continual turnovers. Lynchburg has TWENTY percent fewer turnovers than the Generals and the Generals do not have a 20% positive differential in face offs. Just make sound fundamental exchanges in this contest, do the small things well
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Whiskeydog

Post by Whiskeydog »

Lynchburg with 1 goal losses to #3 York and #5 Wesleyan and a 2 goal loss to #1 Salisbury. This should be a heck of a game on Saturday in Lexington.
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

What's with W&L still wearing Cascade R's? The model is a few years outdated in my opinion. Would have thought a well endowed school would prioritize player safety and concussion prevention more...not to mention dope steez...
hustleorcut

Post by hustleorcut »

Still subbing like summer club and everyone's paying. Too late in season for that. Hope that doesn't come back to haunt the Generals against Lynchburg on Saturday.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L has a new career record holder, AJ Witherell just surpassed Dugan’s 18 year record of 290 career points. Great achievement topping Dugan one of W&L’s all time greats. In the third qtr Taylor Witherell scores on an assist from A.J. for the goal.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Great game by both Lynchburg and W&L. If the Generals ever need their A game they needed it today and nailed it. One of their cleanest games against a tough opponent in a long time... only one penalty, 19/19 on clears, 15/23 face offs, great job on gbs and very few turnovers. Finally in a one goal game it went their way. D and goal play was stout. Efficient play across the board. The team that showed up today could make some noise in May if they win the rematch 😊. Rodgers for Lynchburg had his hands free often producing 13 shots but only 3 on cage accounting for 1 goal. Both he and Lombardo were held in check and will have to be again. Overall great focus by the Generals and great job by Hodgson and crew who in the next two games could break the record for most face offs taken in a career and most wins ( running about 70% YTD ranked 8th in the country! ). NCAA’s are a must when you have the best player in 20 years and best fogo unit ever both on the same team
Dehuntshigwa’es

Bo Delaney did not play for Lynchburg in the last contest all the faceoffs were taken by Koester going 8 for 23. Next contest I’m betting Lynchburg attempts face offs by comittee. Lynchburg did a great job on AJ for 3/4’s until the 4th when he finally got going. Curious to see what if any changes are made by the coaches. With a disproportionate share of wins on faceoffs one would have hoped it hadn’t gone to OT. Lynchburg D has been plenty tough holding Gulls to 11 and York to 12, rarely has a team gotten to 10. Somehow I think this number needs to be exceeded next time out.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

FO’s in 2nd half was disappointing. I would like to see Bo take a few. Koester seemed to tire..
While LYN defense is good enough to mitigate that to some extent it’s the clearing game that needs to improve for LYN. Credit to W&L who rode very well, particularly between the restraining lines producing key TO’s in 2nd half.
In OT LYN produced the TO after the FO only to give it right back allowing for the game winner..
It seemed like LYN defense ball watched a bit in the 4th Q, maybe got anxious to slide early to AJ or were generally more aware of him with ball.
One goal in 4th seemed to be a blind lob assist from left GLE over the top for a step down goal. Good coaching or just high IQ knowing LYN defense drifted their focus to AJ.

Either that or LYN seemed to play not to lose after they took 6-4 lead in 3rd.. whatever the breakdown I’m sure it’s been coached up after many film sessions😳
It was a great game and all credit to W&L who won it!

I don’t think they will change a thing on D other than work on the double when AJ plays the 2 man game turning the corners. Creating breakdowns in those situations allowed for a couple nice goals. I’d like to see Cornelius come out of goal anticipating that dump from AJ.

I feel bad for Guilford tonight as I suspect LYN will play pissed off..
Having high energy for worthy opponent HSC Saturday helps keep them sharp as well as playing in 1st round as opposed to a bye. They definitely have rematch in back of their minds..

My memory is foggy.. did LYN lose the season game last year and win ODAC.. tough to beat em twice..😜
Dehuntshigwa’es

NBL I thought both W&L and Lynchburg played a great game. The key difference was Hodgson and his crew in the second half. At one point they were 8 for 9 on face offs in the second half. W&L had two poles up top in what seemed like much of the game. Despite that I believe it was Rodgers who got off 12 shots with one goal also got trailed checked several times. Somehow I think his numbers will be better next time out. ( he had 4 against the Gulls , 3 at Cabrini and 3 at York, dangerous player).....W&L played their best game of the year and will have to repeat their performance and then some if they want the AQ ticket to the NCAA’s. Curious to what degree coach Corrigan handles the offensive schemes. Considering his background and if in fact he’s has a lot of input I’m surprised the Generals aren’t more efficient offensively... Should be another great game .
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 pm NBL I thought both W&L and Lynchburg played a great game. The key difference was Hodgson and his crew in the second half. At one point they were 8 for 9 on face offs in the second half. W&L had two poles up top in what seemed like much of the game. Despite that I believe it was Rodgers who got off 12 shots with one goal also got trailed checked several times. Somehow I think his numbers will be better next time out. ( he had 4 against the Gulls , 3 at Cabrini and 3 at York, dangerous player).....W&L played their best game of the year and will have to repeat their performance and then some if they want the AQ ticket to the NCAA’s. Curious to what degree coach Corrigan handles the offensive schemes. Considering his background and if in fact he’s has a lot of input I’m surprised the Generals aren’t more efficient offensively... Should be another great game .
Dehunt you and I are on the same page. Double poling the midfield against LC, although seemingly obvious, doesn't really show up on any tape from the Hornets' earlier games. Forced me to look at some of Rodgers' goals from those big games, and it is notable that he shows is stick for a while after beating his man. I have to imagine the coaches picked up on this and wanted to double their odds of having a pole on Rodgers by mixing Kriss and Callahan with Barnard up top...excellent gameplan and execution. One has to wonder if as Rodgers accumulates more and more hair throughout the season he gets weighed down more and loses speed on his alley dodges...food for thots...
Dehuntshigwa’es

Stevenson put an extra pole up top and smoked Lburg 8-4 thru 3 full qtrs, dominated the game. Stevenson lost their composure over one or two plays and imploded, teammates were jawing at each other. First half of the W &L game Lburg calls a time out with 30 secs to go. Don’t know what if it was by design but Lburg knew what the coverage was and had both offensive players who drew the ssdm on the far side. The man carrying had a ssdm on him and the slide was also a ssdm day if it was by design it lead to a goal to end the half. Like to see Hamil( how did no one back up Hamil’s shot with under a minute to play, someone had to be told at the time out that that is your job! ) invert more and Weaver get more time on attack over # 31 ... Mize has been great. I think Greenspon could have a big day, don’t know why they don’t clear out for him and create space for a basic sweep , play to his strength, fast with long strides and arms can get his hands free rather than a COD every 3 steps up top with another offensive mid 5 yds away bringing a double. Notre Dame was in trouble a few years back in the ncaa’s In philly. Finally they went to that Big mid, Perkovic they had back then and he ran about 5 sweeps in a row for goals they couldn’t stop it. Like to see Greenspon get force fed the ball exactly like that. AJ needs to get involved sooner as well can’t wait until the 4th qtr. No more bounce passes unless you are a 4x first team AA.... Heart breaking game for the loser of this coming contest it will be season ending.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Impressive, Hodgson now has the W&L record for most face offs taken at W&L, while Witherell is now number two in career points in the ODAC. Mccabe has done a great job in bringing in some great talent the last few years and developing these guys. Hope he gets the opportunity to take them to the dance
Dehuntshigwa’es

# 11, 18, 42, game balls
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

The team defense on both sides was spectacular. These teams know each other and get after it. Both very good teams and well-coached.
publaxguy

Post by publaxguy »

Big congratulations to the boys in blue. Truly gritty performance on defense covered for our lackluster offense.

An exclamation point on a great odac career for the seniors - 2 rings, and only 2 regular season odac losses in 4 years!

ODAC champions of the world!
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

The defense was dialed in today. Holding Lombardo and Rogers to one goal and one assist between the two of them is a real accomplishment. Here we go Generals!
Dehuntshigwa’es

ctbagataway wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 pm The defense was dialed in today. Holding Lombardo and Rogers to one goal and one assist between the two of them is a real accomplishment. Here we go Generals!
Held those two to 1 goal on 14 shots. One would think that when you win 15 out of 18 faceoffs you better win. Team D was very solid in part due to Lynchburg’s inability to get possession. W&L’s O struggled against what is a tough Lburg D. Greenspon to the attack with Mize and AJ, I thought helped. Also liked seeing AJ up top with the ball, despite #3 shutting him down. I’d like to see more of that against York should they advance. How will they rebalance the mid lines without Mulholland ? #16 didn’t look ready for prime time today. Run Taylor Witherell up top again like today. Huber is a smart capable player who plays within himself maybe he gets more burn ... is Weaver injured very efficient attackman and did not play......Coaches took a shot with Mize might there be another young player we haven’t heard from who’s ready to step up.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Congratulations on a great win. To end that way and hold up trophy on your home field...Sweet!
The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.
Good luck in playoffs!
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

https://www.virginiafirst.com/news/odac ... 1981877580

For those, like myself, who was not able to see the winning score, here is a nice recap of that great shot by #11.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”