W&L 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Scarlet

Re: W&L 2019

Post by Scarlet »

York seniors scored 175 of their 275 goals this year and their faceoff man is a senior. I’m not sure that’s particularly illuminating, however. They graduated a fabulous goalie last year and started a freshman this year. Coach Childs is an excellent recruiter and YCP is a great value in between lacrosse hotbeds in Philadelphia and Baltimore. His kids are tough and play smart, disciplined lacrosse. I wonder how the pending move to the MAC will affect the trajectory of their program.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Scarlet wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:00 pm York seniors scored 175 of their 275 goals this year and their faceoff man is a senior. I’m not sure that’s particularly illuminating, however. They graduated a fabulous goalie last year and started a freshman this year. Coach Childs is an excellent recruiter and YCP is a great value in between lacrosse hotbeds in Philadelphia and Baltimore. His kids are tough and play smart, disciplined lacrosse. I wonder how the pending move to the MAC will affect the trajectory of their program.
Not sure it will change much. Child’s does a good job of loading the schedule with tough OOC opponents like W&L, Gettysburg, RIT, Cabrini, Lynch etc which I don’t expect to change. I don’t take him as a take it easy coach because the top 4 in the MAC currently aren’t as tough as the top 4 in CAC. His coaching methods are built on making his players better young men I believe those high school players will continue to gravitate there...

Hats off to W&L this season. Making it to the playoffs was no easy task after multiple injuries and early season woes. Look forward to the future of the generals squad.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

York matches up well with W&L. That being said the Generals struggled to get their shots on cage. As the game worn on face offs began to tilt in favor of W&L but even the 50/50 ground balls were won by York more often than W&L. I think the loss of Mulholland was felt too, he's a good dodger from the midfield. The D was over agressive early on but did settle in nice.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

“Life without 21,” certainly losing a generational player if 20 years qualifies. W&L should continue to become even more competitive going forward. For those strong academic players the field of candidates within their search is limited. Academia is not producing more W&L’s whereas the number of less academically oriented schools playing lacrosse continues to grow. W&L and it’s counterparts in the league are not recruiting the same student. W&L has a significant advantage at the line of scrimmage in my opinion, especially with the growth of the sport moving south and west. NESCAC has garnered the New England prep schools for years, W&L will be doing the same within their region. Offensively W&L returns everything except AJ and he is irreplaceable. Having said that I still think they are capable of another 16 season win, ODAC title and NCAA run. You return one of the top 3 fogo’s in the country, a 58% goalie and your entire offense, which might be better despite the loss of 21. Callahan, Barnard, Broderick, and to a lesser degree Zander’s and Brown are big voids to fill, Huber and Speed as well. Stevan Kriss returns however and will be your number 1 D man. Cashman shows promise as does Horgan and Thorne. Ssdm May see Hsu and Bentley to support Alison who is outstanding. Midfield offensively will be loaded and 2 starting attackman return Mize, ( outstanding) younger Witherell and Weaver who I thought should have been the third starter ALL year!! The Generals perhaps pick up a transfer again like Greenspon and maybe another impactful freshman. HSC will be interesting as they looked very good at times, just young. Lynchburg not sure if they take a step up or back next year with what they return. Might Noke be a non factor once again, for the sake of the league I hope not.
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:02 pm “Life without 21,” certainly losing a generational player if 20 years qualifies. W&L should continue to become even more competitive going forward. For those strong academic players the field of candidates within their search is limited. Academia is not producing more W&L’s whereas the number of less academically oriented schools playing lacrosse continues to grow. W&L and it’s counterparts in the league are not recruiting the same student. W&L has a significant advantage at the line of scrimmage in my opinion, especially with the growth of the sport moving south and west. NESCAC has garnered the New England prep schools for years, W&L will be doing the same within their region. Offensively W&L returns everything except AJ and he is irreplaceable. Having said that I still think they are capable of another 16 season win, ODAC title and NCAA run. You return one of the top 3 fogo’s in the country, a 58% goalie and your entire offense, which might be better despite the loss of 21. Callahan, Barnard, Broderick, and to a lesser degree Zander’s and Brown are big voids to fill, Huber and Speed as well. Stevan Kriss returns however and will be your number 1 D man. Cashman shows promise as does Horgan and Thorne. Ssdm May see Hsu and Bentley to support Alison who is outstanding. Midfield offensively will be loaded and 2 starting attackman return Mize, ( outstanding) younger Witherell and Weaver who I thought should have been the third starter ALL year!! The Generals perhaps pick up a transfer again like Greenspon and maybe another impactful freshman. HSC will be interesting as they looked very good at times, just young. Lynchburg not sure if they take a step up or back next year with what they return. Might Noke be a non factor once again, for the sake of the league I hope not.
Well Dehunt you may have been onto something. Breaking news in DIII lacrosse free agency. Generals will pick up a transfer from an incredibly well coached Dickinson team. Ian Dardani (yes that Dardani) will be attending school in Lexington come Fall 2019. A righty attackman out of Westminster in CT, he will most certainly throw a wrinkle in the projected starting attack unit comprised of all returners. (Sidebar: is this whole transfer theme becoming a theme?? Dardani, Lanigan, Greenspon, and another Dardani...get me a Connor Locke-esque talent next year!) He was sidelined most of this year with a wrist injury, but for reference Ian has a similar style to his older brother. The primary difference is if you were creating a player on Madden, you'd allocate slightly more of your finite skill points to the ball carrying category and slightly less to the finishing category. Regardless, another talented player on the roster for Coach McCabe and Coach Corrigan to work with. And hey who knows? Maybe this member of the family will make first team ODAC.
Last edited by wheelnd3al on Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:02 pm ...For those strong academic players the field of candidates within their search is limited. Academia is not producing more W&L’s whereas the number of less academically oriented schools playing lacrosse continues to grow. W&L and it’s counterparts in the league are not recruiting the same student...

... NESCAC has garnered the New England prep schools for years, W&L will be doing the same within their region...
Further narrowing their field of recruits, and probably a large factor in the targeting of prep school talent...(because there are “B” and “C” students in those classes too)...
DeepPocket wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:12 am ...
(All per “US News & World Report”)
Yale tuition -53,430
Notre Dame tuition- 53,391
W&L tuition- 52,455
Harvard tuition- 50,420
Princeton tuition- 47,140
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Skullzrule

Post by Skullzrule »

wheelnd3al wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:02 pm “Life without 21,” certainly losing a generational player if 20 years qualifies. W&L should continue to become even more competitive going forward. For those strong academic players the field of candidates within their search is limited. Academia is not producing more W&L’s whereas the number of less academically oriented schools playing lacrosse continues to grow. W&L and it’s counterparts in the league are not recruiting the same student. W&L has a significant advantage at the line of scrimmage in my opinion, especially with the growth of the sport moving south and west. NESCAC has garnered the New England prep schools for years, W&L will be doing the same within their region. Offensively W&L returns everything except AJ and he is irreplaceable. Having said that I still think they are capable of another 16 season win, ODAC title and NCAA run. You return one of the top 3 fogo’s in the country, a 58% goalie and your entire offense, which might be better despite the loss of 21. Callahan, Barnard, Broderick, and to a lesser degree Zander’s and Brown are big voids to fill, Huber and Speed as well. Stevan Kriss returns however and will be your number 1 D man. Cashman shows promise as does Horgan and Thorne. Ssdm May see Hsu and Bentley to support Alison who is outstanding. Midfield offensively will be loaded and 2 starting attackman return Mize, ( outstanding) younger Witherell and Weaver who I thought should have been the third starter ALL year!! The Generals perhaps pick up a transfer again like Greenspon and maybe another impactful freshman. HSC will be interesting as they looked very good at times, just young. Lynchburg not sure if they take a step up or back next year with what they return. Might Noke be a non factor once again, for the sake of the league I hope not.
Well Dehunt you may have been onto something. Breaking news in DIII lacrosse free agency. Generals will pick up a transfer from an incredibly well coached Dickinson team. Ian Dardani (yes that Dardani) will be attending school in Lexington come Fall 2019. A righty attackman out of Westminster in CT, he will most certainly throw a wrinkle in the projected starting attack unit comprised of all returners. (Sidebar: is this whole transfer theme becoming a theme?? Dardani, Lanigan, Greenspon, and another Dardani...get me a Connor Locke-esque talent next year!) He was sidelined most of this year with a wrist injury, but for reference Ian has a similar style to his older. The primary difference is if you were creating a player on Madden, you'd allocate slightly more of your finite skill points to the call carrying category and slightly less to the finishing category. Regardless, another talented player on the roster for Coach McCabe and Coach Corrigan to work with. And hey who knows? Maybe this member of the family will make first team ODAC.
Wow this is shocking news! One would think the Patriarch of the Dardani family would have raised his children to make the right decision the first time around, but no need to bring families into this. I would like the note that while the youngest Dardani is a comparable player to the elder, many have noted that he is less good looking. I'm interested to see how this factors in come fall ball. As any ODAC scholar would tell you, Sam Dardani was able to play off the fantastically good looking AJ Witherell so well because both the Witherell's saw him as a physical equal while they simply couldn't connect with some of the less attractive players on the team. Lets hope that the youngest Dardani has grown into his bone structure both on his face and wrist by the time he arrives in Lex.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Well Dehunt you may have been onto something. Breaking news in DIII lacrosse free agency. Generals will pick up a transfer from an incredibly well coached Dickinson team. Ian Dardani (yes that Dardani) will be attending school in Lexington come Fall 2019. A righty attackman out of Westminster in CT, he will most certainly throw a wrinkle in the projected starting attack unit comprised of all returners. (Sidebar: is this whole transfer theme becoming a theme?? Dardani, Lanigan, Greenspon, and another Dardani...get me a Connor Locke-esque talent next year!) He was sidelined most of this year with a wrist injury, but for reference Ian has a similar style to his older brother. The primary difference is if you were creating a player on Madden, you'd allocate slightly more of your finite skill points to the ball carrying category and slightly less to the finishing category. Regardless, another talented player on the roster for Coach McCabe and Coach Corrigan to work with. And hey who knows? Maybe this member of the family will make first team ODAC.
Locke? Taylor at 58% only a rising jr has been outstanding. Future AA
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Connor Locke, he went to HS up here in NOVA, was a great goalie for Generals.

valaxfan
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am
Locke? Taylor at 58% only a rising jr has been outstanding. Future AA
Don't worry I'm very satisfied with the play between the pipes...wasn't a position-specific inquiry...just acknowledging Locke was a bonafide stud and one of the first big transfers that the program landed...would like to continue the transfer pipeline
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:02 pm “Life without 21,” certainly losing a generational player if 20 years qualifies. W&L should continue to become even more competitive going forward.
I'll share an observation from an outsider. In the Denison game this year #21 injured himself (non Denison contact as I think he hurt himself diving for a ball on his defensive side of the field when he fell on his shoulder). It was early in the 3rd Q and the score was 9-5 Denison. He didn't return to the game. Only at that point did the W&L offense seemed freed up knowing their generational player wasn't going to be there the rest of the way on that day. It was only then that W&L made that valiant attempt at a comeback. They appeared to me at least, that they started to move the ball better, share the ball better and become more unpredictable. It changed the complection of their offense, for the better on this day. To be very clear, I'm not suggesting the Generals are a better team without #21. That would be stupid. What I am saying is perhaps when there was such a player on the field, the others were more complacent and waited for the star to do it for them.

So, like most of the top 10 D3 teams, there is plenty talent on the sidelines waiting for their turn and I expect the Generals will indeed survive the loss of #21 and will be challenging for the ODAC Championship again next year. And I know Denison will expect another tough matchup against this fine program.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:50 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:02 pm “Life without 21,” certainly losing a generational player if 20 years qualifies. W&L should continue to become even more competitive going forward.
I'll share an observation from an outsider. In the Denison game this year #21 injured himself (non Denison contact as I think he hurt himself diving for a ball on his defensive side of the field when he fell on his shoulder). It was early in the 3rd Q and the score was 9-5 Denison. He didn't return to the game. Only at that point did the W&L offense seemed freed up knowing their generational player wasn't going to be there the rest of the way on that day. It was only then that W&L made that valiant attempt at a comeback. They appeared to me at least, that they started to move the ball better, share the ball better and become more unpredictable. It changed the complection of their offense, for the better on this day. To be very clear, I'm not suggesting the Generals are a better team without #21. That would be stupid. What I am saying is perhaps when there was such a player on the field, the others were more complacent and waited for the star to do it for them.

So, like most of the top 10 D3 teams, there is plenty talent on the sidelines waiting for their turn and I expect the Generals will indeed survive the loss of #21 and will be challenging for the ODAC Championship again next year. And I know Denison will expect another tough matchup against this fine program.
Agree with your premise. In that contest I’m not sure the O made a total adjustment but in the games following I think they got a little better playing without AJ but still weren’t settled in playing F&M. What I find surprising is that when AJ went down Mize still didn’t get in Until the next game. The kid jumps off the page and when he finally got the start has never looked back. Sometimes I think the staff will hang on to a starting player longer than they should. I understand loyalty to an upperclassman but the other 9 other starters and bench deserve to have the best players on the field. They should have known he was the second best attackman during fall ball and should have started from day one better than both Weaver and younger Witherell. Have to credit the coaches for changing up the O late in the season. Having Greenspon inverting bringing T Witherell up top and AJ sometimes as well. An attack of Mize Weaver T witherell will give you a solid attack line. All 6 of the two O lines they ran comeback along with a top ssdm. There’s two rising Sophs going into next year who could make some noise as well. Kriss returns as a close D starter and while not proven there are several D men who are promising. Taylor in the cage 58% returns and will lay odds he’s an AA before he finishes. That and the combo of Hodgson 71% on faceoffs along with Londrey will or should keep any game close. Hoping to see another strong recruiting class and another transfer
Connectlax

Post by Connectlax »

Offensively the generals should be quite strong in 2020 despite the loss of AJ. Returning 3 excellent midfielders is huge plus Hodgson at the X. Defensively I worry. The generals lose a ton (Callahan,Broderick,Brown,Barnard) and Taylor struggled against better competition this year (Gettysburg,Denison,York). Generals could need to embrace a new style of play in 2020 to match the skill set of the team. But with a strong rising senior class and some good young talent the gennies could be poised for possibly a stronger year than 2019 despite some major losses.
GeorgeAndBob

Post by GeorgeAndBob »

Connectlax wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 am Offensively the generals should be quite strong in 2020 despite the loss of AJ. Returning 3 excellent midfielders is huge plus Hodgson at the X. Defensively I worry. The generals lose a ton (Callahan,Broderick,Brown,Barnard) and Taylor struggled against better competition this year (Gettysburg,Denison,York). Generals could need to embrace a new style of play in 2020 to match the skill set of the team. But with a strong rising senior class and some good young talent the gennies could be poised for possibly a stronger year than 2019 despite some major losses.
I would hope the returning midfield lines get a little shake up. It will be almost exclusively juniors and seniors. I didn't see any rising sophomores who will compete for playing time with the top two lines.

Hopefully, Mulholland will recover fully from his knee injury.
Dehuntshigwa’es

If Cabrini and Amherst can break thru why not W&L. While both are quality teams I had seen them both play live , no webcast. Talented but not exceptional, I’m still surprised Salisbury lost to Cabrini the Gulls are better just not that day. W&L lost an opportunity to make some noise while AJ was there along with a great fogo and a soon to be AA goalie. I think W&L is close
ODACLAX

Post by ODACLAX »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:26 am If Cabrini and Amherst can break thru why not W&L. While both are quality teams I had seen them both play live , no webcast. Talented but not exceptional, I’m still surprised Salisbury lost to Cabrini the Gulls are better just not that day. W&L lost an opportunity to make some noise while AJ was there along with a great fogo and a soon to be AA goalie. I think W&L is close
I hope you are right Dehunt but I don't think that W&L has had a goalie who could steal a game since Devine. If you look at save % for the keeper he was great in games they won by 10+ (70%), good in games won by less than 10 (52%) average in games won/loss by less than 5 (50%) and average in losses (48%).

Winning by 10+ goals in over half of your games doesn't help your team in the long run but that is what happens to most good teams because of conference games that must be played.
Dehuntshigwa’es

dirtup

Post by dirtup »

Like the other schools listed in the comparison, W&L is working hard to make any qualified student capable of attending - regardless of financial resources. Can't help but be a good recruiting situation for them.

dirtup
Dehuntshigwa’es

Any word on the incoming class?
D Michael Jameison, Conestoga, A Will Schnors, Conestoga
A Hudson Pokorny, Darien, LSM John Mills, Menlo Atherton, M Adam Lamberti, McDonogh, G Warren Seeds, Westminster. Anyone see them play or know of other recruits entering this fall.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”