YORK 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: YORK 2019

Post by DeepPocket »

I made it down to the scrimmages yesterday, anyone else?

My take vs Bucknell- York looked strong on the ball, shot clock a non factor. Final score (not that it matters) 6-3 York. And while I wasn’t keeping track of when or if the starters came off, it was clear Bucknell was taking things very seriously. Their bench felt the need to do a March madness style “white noise” yell every time York was clearing the ball (with no effect). Additionally, their coaching staff began screaming expletives at the officials towards the end (I even saw a cold weather glove get sailed from their bench towards the field).

My take vs Towson- Played after a short break following York vs Bucknell. Fairly even match with the ball control edge to Towson. For what it’s worth, I didn’t see Towson’s starting attack leave the field at all. York tied it up at 5 with 40 seconds left, but let in an even later tally by Towson. Final score 6-5 Towson.

Over-all it was a nice day for some cold weather lacrosse. Glad I took the time, I wasn’t disappointed. Any other takes?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
dms87

Post by dms87 »

I made it down to the scrimmages yesterday, anyone else?

Deep, I did. I agree York looked very good in both games. I do believe however that neither Towson nor Bucknell played many starters. Several of their parents said things to imply that and Towson had 20 kids not dressed on the sidelines. Even if that is true I don't think that diminishes York in any way. Shot clock seemed to be no factor and I thought both games flowed well. York again seems poised for a run at a final four and I love that they take on the best that will play them. Has to be fun to play in that environment.

Looking forward to the Cabrini game myself.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Ah yes, I did see the guys wearing parka’s on Towson’s sideline. Perhaps that explains it.

Yes, Cabrini should be an exciting one. Personally I’ve got the mustang classic RIT match marked on my calendar.

York has #38 McGrath back after missing most of last season with an ACL injury. (He was their leading scorer in 17’ and was in their top 3 scorers while healthy last year) I’m really excited to see if he can step in where he left off.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

Child’s has a good looking team going into 2019. Returning all starters on attack, watch out for some large numbers to be posted on the scoreboard this year by 22, 28, and 38.

Midfield will be the question mark for the Spartans this year as they lose 2 AA middies. Will be fun to see what talented underclassmen step up this season as Childs has had no shortage of talented recruits in recent years.

Defense looks to fill a hole left by AA Fiorino but going by the scrimmage against Bucknell & Towson, lots of depth at LSM and D. Look for this defense to be tested right off the bat against a talented nationally ranked W&L squad.

York’s schedule could potentially be one of the tougher schedules nationally as they have 8 opponents in the preseason top 20. Will be interesting to see how the 2019 Spartans squad holds up in their grueling schedule.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York was able to come away with a W today, 7-6. And despite the whole game seeming rushed and broken, their “big 3” of Pfeiffer, McGrath and Davis each had a multi point day, while their D held Witherell, arguably one of the top players in DIII lacrosse, to a lone goal. They faced a strong full pressure ride during each and every clear attempt, and can take some knowledge from the difficulties it presented. Close as it stayed, York only trailed once and by just one goal.
There’s work to be done, but it’s always nice to come away with a win.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Good write up on the W&L game with video of final seconds push to tie. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -win/53718
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

-Double post-
Last edited by DeepPocket on Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York moves to 2-0 with a 18-8 win over Eastern. Real story here is #38 McGrath with 7 goals and 2 assists. Kid slides right back to where he was before last year’s injury.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Congrats to Brendan McGrath on making USILA’s DIII Team of the week.

https://usila.org/news/2019/2/19/mens-l ... ry-18.aspx
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York gets a young McDaniel team tomorrow, who is on a quick turn around having played just this past Wednesday.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York over McDaniel 14-8. Pfeiffer lead the way with 4 goals 3 assists. McGrath registers 4 goals as well on the day moving to a team leading 13 goals an 15 points just 3 games into the year.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm York over McDaniel 14-8. Pfeiffer lead the way with 4 goals 3 assists. McGrath registers 4 goals as well on the day moving to a team leading 13 goals an 15 points just 3 games into the year.
Lots of props to the McDaniel goalie today making 17 saves. McDaniel will have a solid squad in a few years.

McGraths outside shot looks better than it has in past years. Starting to wonder if the knee injury he suffered last year has made him a more complete player as he’s not relying on his crease game nearly as much.

Spartans have lots of work to do as they hit a brutal stretch in their schedule taking on 4 ranked teams in the next 6 games.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

LaxFan11 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:11 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm York over McDaniel 14-8. Pfeiffer lead the way with 4 goals 3 assists. McGrath registers 4 goals as well on the day moving to a team leading 13 goals an 15 points just 3 games into the year.
Lots of props to the McDaniel goalie today making 17 saves. McDaniel will have a solid squad in a few years.

McGraths outside shot looks better than it has in past years. Starting to wonder if the knee injury he suffered last year has made him a more complete player as he’s not relying on his crease game nearly as much.

Spartans have lots of work to do as they hit a brutal stretch in their schedule taking on 4 ranked teams in the next 6 games.
Absolutely agree on all accounts. I watched the McDaniel game on Wednesday as well and see a promising future ahead. And ditto on York needing to buckle down. Seemed like they were taking quarters off in this and last game (Ala last year).
They did that against RIT in the tournament last year and we all saw what the hill they had to try and climb in the second half. Do that stuff with the big dogs and the hill will be insurmountable.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Congrats to York, who moves up to #6 in USILA poll as Gettysburg drops 2 spots back to #8. Cabrini to #7.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

As DP said in game post, very happy to see York finally put a full game together. All pieces to the puzzle finally fit.

Side note on defense. For his first year starting, Ryan Kennedy is having a monster year in the stat department. Very impressed with his play so far. In addition, glad to see Witchey getting recognition week 1 in CAC awards as he’s quietly been flying under the radar for the past several seasons.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

LaxFan11 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:07 pm For his first year starting, Ryan Kennedy is having a monster year in the stat department. Very impressed with his play so far. In addition, glad to see Witchey getting recognition week 1 in CAC awards as he’s quietly been flying under the radar for the past several seasons.
Spot on with both guys. Kennedy looked very aggressive and effective out there.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

York putting it to Susquehanna 10-3 after 3 quarters. Hunter Davis and Brendan McGrath with 5 points a piece leading York.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:30 pm York putting it to Susquehanna 10-3 after 3 quarters. Hunter Davis and Brendan McGrath with 5 points a piece leading York.
Looked like coach pulled majority of starters after half when up 9-1. Final score may fool some but gotta get the young guys experience where you can.

On to a tough 3 game stretch.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”