LIBERTY LEAGUE 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
LibertyL

Re: LIBERTY LEAGUE 2019

Post by LibertyL »

What is more is that those top teams haven't even played each other yet.
The story is still unfolding...
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

A big day of LL action tomorrow:

RPI @ RIT
Union @ Ithaca

RIT looked great against Cortland; clearly the class of the LL again this year. Time to see if RPI can step it up and avenge last season's 7 goal loss.

Union travels to Ithaca to face an IC squad that can't afford to lose any more games and still hope for an at-large bid. Should be a fantastic game, and a great chance for Union to silence their critics (I'm not one).

The picture should start getting a lot more clear after this weekend.

EDIT: Union has away games against IC, RPI, and St Lawrence in the next 11 days. In that same span, Ithaca hosts Union, then plays @ RIT and @ Cortland. Realistically speaking, I think Ithaca has to win 2 of those 3 games to have a non-AQ shot at the tourney. If they lose two, and lose in the LL finals, they'd be sitting at 5 loses at selection time, and just not enough quality wins to offset them. Union is probably in the same boat, having to win 2 of those 3 big games in the next 11 days.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

ICGrad wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:28 pm A big day of LL action tomorrow:

RPI @ RIT
Union @ Ithaca
Yes, two great games on slate-
This will tell a lot about RIT & RPI. I like RIT at home but if the Engineers can weather the early storm and be in this game late- they could get the upset.

Union I think is too strong and playing with a lot confidence right now. The Bombers will have to play lights out and get some help to pull this one out.
Laxmom419

Post by Laxmom419 »

FYI Ithaca is at Union tomorrow, not the other way around
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Laxmom419 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 pm FYI Ithaca is at Union tomorrow, not the other way around
And so they are. Those bastages over at Inside Lacrosse have it wrong.

EDIT: So Ithaca has games @Union, @RIT, and @Cortland, with a brief respite of a home game against Bard. Ouch...
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Total domination for the Tigers yesterday over RPI. Clearly running on all cylinders now and will be a tough out for any team if they can repeat this kind of effort going forward.

Union did what they needed to come back. 10 goal run starting at the end of 2qtr was impressive.

Big shakeup in the NESCAC with both Tufts & Amherst losing yesterday should see RIT move to #2 in the next polls.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

I was travelling for my son's AAU basketball tourney, so didn't get to watch any of the Ithaca game, but to honest, just about what I expected. Ithaca has played great in stretches, but can't seem to put together a solid 60 minutes against good teams. Hats off to Union.

RIT has taken it to a new level altogether. A couple of years ago, they were a really good LL team in a competitive league. Now they sem to be head and shoulders above the rest of their LL brethren. Hopefully this will be the year they stick the landing.
Laxmom419

Post by Laxmom419 »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:45 pm I was travelling for my son's AAU basketball tourney, so didn't get to watch any of the Ithaca game, but to honest, just about what I expected. Ithaca has played great in stretches, but can't seem to put together a solid 60 minutes against good teams. Hats off to Union.

RIT has taken it to a new level altogether. A couple of years ago, they were a really good LL team in a competitive league. Now they sem to be head and shoulders above the rest of their LL brethren. Hopefully this will be the year they stick the landing.
Was a great first half for IC but in the end FO were a problem IC 5, UNion 23. But yes credit to Union for storming back like that.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Laxmom419 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:05 pm Was a great first half for IC but in the end FO were a problem IC 5, UNion 23. But yes credit to Union for storming back like that.
Must be something in the water in Ithaca; Cornell can't win a face-off to save their lives either, it seems.

IC at RIT this afternoon. Just a couple of years ago, Ithaca lost by 2 @ RIT, one of four losses that year by a total of 5 goals in a campaign that saw Ithaca passed over for a postseason bid (and just a year removed Ithaca beating RIT during a season that saw Ithaca finish the regular season ranked #1). Since then, the gap between to the two programs has widened to a chasm. Ithaca was not even remotely competitive with RIT last season, and if RIT's drubbing of RPI is any indication, the Bombers are in for a very long afternoon in Rochester.

Hoping for the best from IC this afternoon, but preparing for the worst.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

SLU 11 CU 10. Saints limp to the finish line.
richard

Post by richard »

What is up at Bard? Their schedule shows games being canceled. Have they given up the ghost again?
billyosier

Post by billyosier »

SLU stubbles to the finish 11-10. Saints had the game in hand mid way through the 4th, but penalties and mental errors allowed Clarkson to sneak back into the game. I will say that this was one of the worst officiated game I’ve seen in a longgg time. Refs were calling anything they could on SLU. One of the main reasons this game was remotely close. Time for SLU to take a look in the mirror and figure out was going wrong with Union coming to town.
Last edited by billyosier on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

richard wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:16 pm What is up at Bard? Their schedule shows games being canceled. Have they given up the ghost again?
Interesting.

The IC website says Ithaca will be granted a LL victory after Bard was forced to concede the game this Sunday. The Bard website, in the write-up about their loss to Clarkson this past Saturday, says Bard has one game remaining, a home contest against Skidmore.

Financial/budget issues causing them to cancel travel? Or maybe illness/injuries? Not sure.
Medicine_Game

Post by Medicine_Game »

I don't know anything about the school or the difficulties of recruiting at Bard. But if they are going to continue to have a program, they are probably going to want to bring in more guys to have a roster. They only brought in two freshmen this year and if you are going to even pretend to be competitive in the LL, you're going to have to do more than that.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Only 14 players on Bard roster...they did win two games, so how bad are those teams?
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Union @ SLU is the headliner in the LL this weekend. A must win for the Larrys to justify their record & have a quality win in the books.
Clarkson vs a much improved Vassar which only lost by 1 to Ithaca and by 3 to RPI- could be an upset in the making?
richard

Post by richard »

TopShelf585 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 am Union @ SLU is the headliner in the LL this weekend. A must win for the Larrys to justify their record & have a quality win in the books.
Clarkson vs a much improved Vassar which only lost by 1 to Ithaca and by 3 to RPI- could be an upset in the making?
Yup, talent alone doesn't win this game.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Wow Vassar almost pulled off the upset. Great showing by the Brewers.

Saw the SLU - Union game. Well played game by both- difference was Union looked like they had been playing together longer and were on the same page. Saints scored a bunch on unsettled and fast breaks but in a settled situation they struggled. Couple of key turnovers and penalties down the stretch cost them the game. Two OT losses- ouch. They’ll have to win LL Touney to get to the big dance.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Great win by Union. If they beat RPI, I think they might actually have an at-large bid sewn-up. Outstanding.

Yeah, gotta feel for St. Lawrence. Not sure I would say they're 100% done yet, but as other teams have learned the hard way before them, quality losses don't mean anything. But they're the last LL team to play RIT close, so maybe they'll pull off the huge upset and salvage their season. And if they can beat RPI and then get to the LL finals, especially if they do so by beating Union in the playoffs, they might still get an at-large.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:51 am Yeah, gotta feel for St. Lawrence. Not sure I would say they're 100% done yet, but as other teams have learned the hard way before them, quality losses don't mean anything. But they're the last LL team to play RIT close, so maybe they'll pull off the huge upset and salvage their season. And if they can beat RPI and then get to the LL finals, especially if they do so by beating Union in the playoffs, they might still get an at-large.
Unfortunately Hope isn’t a strategy. They’ll have to win LL to get in.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”