E8 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
richard

E8 2019

Post by richard »

So many changes in the last couple of years and more to come with Stevens leaving. So there are lots of questions.
Will Naz regain their past stature?
Will St JF, Alfred and Hartwick continue to move forward to the next level?
Will Utica, Elmira, and Houghton step up at all?
Will there be other movement of any of the above teams?
Will any other NY teams move to the E8?

First of all Stevens should be a clear cut favorite for 2019. I don't think it will be as easy as some might think. Randall is too good a coach to let Naz continue to fall like last year. Fisher, Alfred and Wick will be better than last year. So there will be some very interesting games among the top five. I don't know what happened at Utica last year but I do not think they will be long among the bottom dwellers. Elmira and Houghton are both disasters. Remember it was not really all that long ago that Elmira was a top twenty team, so who knows. If the administrations of either school decide to support those teams things could change.

The last two questions are speculative. Football is a prime mover. E8 football keeps going with Cortland, Brockport, and Morrisville being part time members. If any of those SUNY schools drop out or move along the league or the E8 teams will be forced to consider alternatives. As far as other schools joining the E8, I could see Morrisville and Keuka seeing it as a better alternative than their current NEAC situations. Any way it's interesting stuff to consider.

So thinking about lax in 2019 the order of finish should be.

1. Stevens
2. St. John Fisher
3. Hartwick
4. Nazareth
5. Alfred
6. Utica
7. Houghton
8. Elmira
laxrules

Re: E8 2019

Post by laxrules »

I like Elmira to NOT finish last. Especially with the hire of Gorman. Good Coach and he will get them NOT to be in basement.
1. Stevens
2. Nazareth
3. Fisher
4. Hartwick
5. Alfred
6. Elmira
7. Utica
8. Sage
9. Houghton
richard

Post by richard »

Gorman changes things dramatically at Elmira. It shows the administration supports lax. I guess that Sage is now a full time member of E8. They should become a healthy member in a short time given their location. All good things.

Good to see you laxrules. It was lonely here. Hopefully tinny will be over soon.
NED3Guy

Post by NED3Guy »

Good point about football driving things....but the biggest part of that is that the SUNYAC does not sponsor football, thus leaving football playing SUNY schools looking for conferences to play in. The whole "affiliate member" thing, seems to really be a football / hockey thing, as I can't think of many lacrosse conferences at the D3 level that have affiliate or part time members.

Not too long ago the E8 Football powers that be were trying desperately to keep their AQ, without needing public schools to join them. They had teams like Norwich and Springfield join them as football only schools for a while. Norwich and Springfield got out, and shortly thereafter the E8 allowed public schools from out of New York to join them for football (Salisbury and Frostburg); again trying desperately keep their AQ, without having to take NY Public schools. (Buff State fell in the mix before the others...not sure why that was). Finally they had to bite the bullet and welcome Brockport, Cortland and Morrisville to the league for football....there were rumors that this move is what lead Ithaca to seek membership in the LL. They felt the E8 was losing it's academic reputation. Anybody know if that's true?

It worked out well for the E8 in football, that there was a lot of movement in the region that created a pool of "orphan" schools looking for conferences for football specifically. I'm not sure that pool of schools exists in the region lacrosse wise, that could be looked at to add depth or competitiveness to a conference.

And honestly, I don't think D3 AD's, and Presidents look at their conferences and say "I wish we had a few more good lacrosse (or any sport) teams in the league....lets go find some". They want like mined schools that they can become affiliated with, and they want to have AQ status in the sports they offer.
richard

Post by richard »

The Liberty has had issues with football too, associate members etc. From what I understand they courted Ithaca so that they would have a hard and fast 6 team lineup for football. I guess that 6 is the number you need for an AQ? With enrollment and more specifically male enrollment being an issue you would think mens lacrosse would be a priority for more schools. It is surprising to see a school like Elmira with such small numbers on their lax team. Surely you would think that they could find 10 more guys for the team. I know for sure it would make the admissions and enrollment people happy. 10 - 15 more enrolled students can make a huge difference.
NED3Guy

Post by NED3Guy »

100% right....Liberty did have football team number issues as a result of a number of full LL member schools (RIT, Skidmore, Clarkson, Vassar, Bard) not having football teams.

As for Elmira- I would bet even money that Gorman gets the roster in the 40 range within 3 years...maybe sooner. He's a good coach, who will work his tail off on the recruiting trail to get things going for that program. A great hire!
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

It's early but Stevens and Fisher look to be the the top of the food chain in E8 this year.
richard

Post by richard »

Naz looks to me as though they will improve greatly as the season goes on.
Wick lost an opportunity vs Oswego. I saw 6 doorstep shots with nothing to show for it. They also took too many shots from 15.
At least try to screen the goalie when you do that.
Alfreds early schedule leaves something to be desired. They will be there at the end.
The other four seem to be about the same. What happened at Utica? Gorman will get Elmira straightened out. It will take a couple of years though.
UpstateNY

Post by UpstateNY »

Elmira program is in trouble. Very low number on roster. They only had 3 subs total for last weeks game. Goalie is pretty good.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Saw the Naz-Hamilton game. If Naz would have some discipline I think they would be in a few more games.
11 penalties (most of them of the stupid kind) isn’t going to cut it.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

This conference has become pretty weak. The bottom teams are dreadful and the top 3-5 are below average. The level of play is very bad but the strength of schedule that these teams play is even worse.

Stevens plays a legit OOC schedule and is a very good program. Nazareth and fisher play a solid OOC schedule. The rest of the conference’s teams OOC is awful.

Stevens leaves next year and is gonna be replaced by Keuka? How much longer before fisher leaves? Who is next to join the E8 if fisher leaves? medaille, Wells?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

This conference has become pretty weak. The bottom teams are dreadful and the top 3-5 are below average. The level of play is very bad but the strength of schedule that these teams play is even worse.

Stevens plays a legit OOC schedule and is a very good program. Nazareth and fisher play a solid OOC schedule. The rest of the conference’s teams OOC is awful.

Stevens leaves next year and is gonna be replaced by Keuka? How much longer before fisher leaves? Who is next to join the E8 if fisher leaves? medaille, Wells?
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Fisher v Naz tonight.
This will tell a lot- a much improved Fisher team playing against a Naz team that is trying to find itself.
Flyers can't afford to lose to the Cards two years in a row before the alumni start asking for a change.
Fisher by 7
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Wick over Naz. The wheels have officially fallen off.
richard

Post by richard »

Gotta give Wick some credit. LaSalla has put the wheels back on in the last 5 years. Naz is better than last year but Wick is too. It was a good game to watch.
All that without saying anything about Fisher. Alfred hasn't played anybody yet. It will be interesting to see how they fare in conference. My feeling is that they have improved too. Stevens is still #1 but they had better stay on their toes.
irish cardinal

Post by irish cardinal »

Fisher gets two shout outs from inside lacrosse: one for best freshmen in DIII and the other for their man down defense.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... year/54169
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... ?slide=all
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Not to toot my own horn - but I called the Ian Evans news in preseason. Saw him play vs SLU in a scrimmage early and saw that he had “it” .
BTW - his Dad was just like him as a player for Wick back in the early 90’s
richard

Post by richard »

Steve Evans may have been the best attackman to play at Wick. An AA player and in his 2 years there put up 159 points and remains a top 10 point scorer in school history. Good lacrosse genes.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

richard wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 pm Steve Evans may have been the best attackman to play at Wick. An AA player and in his 2 years there put up 159 points and remains a top 10 point scorer in school history. Good lacrosse genes.
JUCO National Champ at Herk as well- I taught him everything he knew- he was my next door neighbor growing up.
irish cardinal

Post by irish cardinal »

Two important games today in the E8. Hartwick goes to Fisher and Stevens visits Naz. This could be a showcase for the postseason. Thoughts?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”