ODAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nothinbutthelax

Re: ODAC

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Great game
FO’s in 2nd half favored W&L
AJ woke up in 2nd half too. He’s a gamer and was the difference.
W&L 10-9 in OT
See you in May
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Hearing Lindley might be out for the rest of the year in addition to Sarro. Damn shame Lynchburg lost today, having the ODAC Tournament semis and championship virtually in my back yard would have been pretty nice. I very much hate the drive from Lynchburg to Lexington!

Looks like the ODAC seeding is just about wrapped up at this point

#1 W&L - all they have to do is win one home game out of Randolph or Shenandoah and :lol: at the notion they could lose either one of those

#2 Lynchburg or H-SC, whoever wins that matchup next Saturday is the #2. Lynchburg's game against Guilford on Wednesday ultimately means nothing for seeding.

#3 Lynchburg or H-SC, whoever loses that matchup next Saturday is the #3.

#4 R-MC

#5 Roanoke - when's the last time Roanoke wasn't top four? Macon has to be licking their chops getting to play Noke again without Lindley or Sarro

#6 Bridgewater - all they have to do is beat one of either Randolph or Ferrum at home or have VWU lose next Saturday at Macon, which is likely.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Great game by both W&L and Lynchburg could have gone either wAy.
Whiskeydog

Post by Whiskeydog »

The rematch 2 weeks from tonight in Lexington should be epic.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

What a great game today in Lex. Both of these teams played very hard and I could not really tell who the better team was. I think the Hornets won the first half, the Generals the second half, and then the quick OT. But, it could have gone the other way, that close of a game. Met some really great fans for the Hornets, thanks to them for making the day enjoyable to talk to them about lacrosse in general. Also, great to see my favorite General, Sam "The Mayor", wife, sons and their families, and his grandaughter, such a sweetie pie. Hope to see these 2 in 2 weeks in Lex, it should be an epic battle for sure.

valaxfan
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

John Burke got season point #70 today. Four years ago, that had only been down twice in H-SC history, since then, Ian Levin has done it twice, Hunter Brown once, and now John Burke. Burke two assists shy of tying the single season school record for assists of 44, which was set by Brown two years ago! What an incredible run of individual offensive talent the last few years for the Tigers. :shock:

Jared Medwar isn't far behind either at 60, and he's only a sophomore! Not sure if he is going to get to 70, given that the only two guaranteed games left are Lynchburg then either Bridgewater or Lynchburg in the ODAC Tournament. Would for sure have it he stayed in longer in blowout wins, come on now Jay! :lol:
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Tigers playing for the #2 seed next weekend in my hometown and they only have three seniors and four juniors that play regularly. :shock:

The future is very bright in Farmville if they can keep all these young bucks at H-SC.
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm John Burke got season point #70 today. Four years ago, that had only been down twice in H-SC history, since then, Ian Levin has done it twice, Hunter Brown once, and now John Burke. Burke two assists shy of tying the single season school record for assists of 44, which was set by Brown two years ago! What an incredible run of individual offensive talent the last few years for the Tigers. :shock:

Jared Medwar isn't far behind either at 60, and he's only a sophomore! Not sure if he is going to get to 70, given that the only two guaranteed games left are Lynchburg then either Bridgewater or Lynchburg in the ODAC Tournament. Would for sure have it he stayed in longer in blowout wins, come on now Jay! :lol:
So it's all about individual numbers Scott? There are other kids that need to play to develop, if not many of the young bucks would choose to leave and the future wouldn't be so bright in Farmville would it?
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Big Easy Lax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 pm
thescottharris wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm John Burke got season point #70 today. Four years ago, that had only been down twice in H-SC history, since then, Ian Levin has done it twice, Hunter Brown once, and now John Burke. Burke two assists shy of tying the single season school record for assists of 44, which was set by Brown two years ago! What an incredible run of individual offensive talent the last few years for the Tigers. :shock:

So it's all about individual numbers Scott? There are other kids that need to play to develop, if not many of the young bucks would choose to leave and the future wouldn't be so bright in Farmville would it?
Ever heard of a joke?
richard

Post by richard »

Individual numbers happen no matter. When they happen in a good program like H S there is no reason not to celebrate them. If someone takes exception to them it is their issue and they can deal however they need to.
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

richard wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:47 pm Individual numbers happen no matter. When they happen in a good program like H S there is no reason not to celebrate them. If someone takes exception to them it is their issue and they can deal however they need to.
So very true, they can deal anyway they need or choose to.
laxenthusiast101

Post by laxenthusiast101 »

Interesting matchup between the Generals and Wildcats this Wednesday. Look to #2 Prince Charles to be the quarterback for the Wildcats as he does it all from the face off X to both offense and defense. Charles has posted an impressive 64.4% on draws this year and will undoubtedly give Hodgson a run for his money who only posts a mere 5% higher percentage at the X. Also look to the performances between the pipes to determine the outcome of this one. While the General's keeper #46 has been impressive up to this point with 132 saves, Junior Goalkeeper #12 Corey Boswell has recorded 139 saves up to this point so I would give Randolph the slight edge there. While W&L has the edge, it will be interesting to see if the Wildcats can shake things up in the ODAC playoff race.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

You certainly are enthusiastic. Looks like Randolph is just under 50% faceoff percentage and just under 45% save percentage in conference. W&L is winning almost 70% of their faceoffs and over 60% save percentage (again, in conference). I'm sure the Wildcats will come out swinging, they have nothing to lose, but if W&L plays like they should, this game is over early.
Dehuntshigwa’es

laxenthusiast101 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:12 pm Interesting matchup between the Generals and Wildcats this Wednesday. Look to #2 Prince Charles to be the quarterback for the Wildcats as he does it all from the face off X to both offense and defense. Charles has posted an impressive 64.4% on draws this year and will undoubtedly give Hodgson a run for his money who only posts a mere 5% higher percentage at the X. Also look to the performances between the pipes to determine the outcome of this one. While the General's keeper #46 has been impressive up to this point with 132 saves, Junior Goalkeeper #12 Corey Boswell has recorded 139 saves up to this point so I would give Randolph the slight edge there. While W&L has the edge, it will be interesting to see if the Wildcats can shake things up in the ODAC playoff race.
Gotta love this fight! Great attitude lax enthusiast hope your guys play well ! Never give in, concede nothing. I hope the Generals take charge early clear the bench in the second half
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

Had boots on the ground in Lexington this weekend. Can nitpick all you want at different things, but at the end of the day that was just an awesome game. A few of my takeaways:

The Hodgson/Londrey dynamic duo prevailed. I know Hodgson was the mid-season All-American on IL, but it would be criminal to not consider these two a duo. Lynchburg was strong at the dot in the first half, but Hodgson evidently wore down the Lynchburg unit and controlled possession for the Generals in the second half. Their success will be crucial two weekends from now...

I could type a paragraph about AJ, but everyone already knows he's a gamer. So instead I'll talk about the first midfield. Hamill continues to draw slides and get defenses moving, so regardless of his stats he is a first-team all-conference midfielder again this season. Mulholland and Ware have come into their own though, which will continue to be huge. As teams scheme for #21 week in and week out, the first midfield has started to make me question who should be drawing the pole. You need length to try to limit Hamill's feeding ability, Mulholland appears to be running through or past SSDMs, and after this weekend it looks like Ware seems to be able to get his hands free in space and make opposing goalies pay as we turn the calendar to May. Pick your poison.

The defense did what it had to do. When one of the Generals' poles had the match-up on #28 they seemed to take him out of the equation. Rodgers did a great job of initiating the offense and appeared to be getting some separation, and if he gets matched up on a shortie he can do damage...had he not hung his stick like crazy we might be looking at a different outcome. All in all, holding LYN to 9 goals is always a good outing, and one that should give this unit a lot of confidence we shift to the postseason.

I'd consider the week ahead challenging from a focus perspective. Generals need to find a way to harness the momentum from this game and carry it through two games where it is likely underclassmen will get the majority of playing time. Can't afford to let the energy fizzle out. Ride the storm.
Dehuntshigwa’es

5 wins and 68 losses in 9 years. At some point is there some remedy or change in direction a program or the conference itself can make. There are far too many teams not just in the ODAC but other conferences as well where far too many teams are just not competitive with anyone within their league. Not sure if the players are either enjoying or gaining something from this type of experience. Love the notion of growing the game and perhaps this is one of the outcomes but how long can something like this continue. There has to be a better way after 9 years
Laxfan69

Post by Laxfan69 »

I don’t think people fully understand how truly spectacular it is that AJ Witherell is able to play on the same team as his son Taylor. They are legit and I don’t think enough people are giving their due praise.
I am a long time supporter of the illustrious tradition of d2 lacrosse, which I like to refer to as JV MCLA. Regardless, I knew I had to watch w&l lacrosse once I heard of the father-son duo that has taken hold of the national spotlight. I couldn’t go to any of my lacrosse news sources without seeing all about “Wilmington father, son achieve incredibly rare lacrosse feat; we see if they can do it again“ and “NCAA D3 Lacrosse Is Increasingly A Father-Son Game.” Needless to see I was intrigued (not necessarily surprised) to see what was brewing up in Lexington.
And I know what you’re thinking, “this dude can’t be serious” or “how could anyone think that” BUT this is 100% authentic. Despite popular opinion in this forum, as some people obviously have their biases, Aj and Taylor are the real deal. Aj is a d1 athlete with omnipotent ability as a lacrosse player. Taylor is a chip off the block, built like his dad yet displays a more elusive style. The father-son dynamic duo is truly a sight to be held. Penetrating defenses easily, racking up nearly 100 goals between the two on 145 shots. This is definitely a spectacle to behold in Lexington, adding one more schism to the illustrious history of Rockbridge County.
Best of luck to all teams going forward! I hope this forum can be more positive about both witherells. I look forward to seeing what this father-son tandem will do in May on a national stage.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Thanks Mrs. Witherall.
ergit

Post by ergit »

:shock: say what?
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:44 pm Tigers playing for the #2 seed next weekend in my hometown and they only have three seniors and four juniors that play regularly. :shock:

The future is very bright in Farmville if they can keep all these young bucks at H-SC.
Sure.... if only they can beat ODAC powerhouse bridgewater college

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”