SAA 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Cavitee

Re: SAA 2019

Post by Cavitee »

IWU was a tough game but still 2 goal game going into the fourth quarter. Key will be FO% - can get away with 4/23 effort against Sewanee and still win but another 4/21 performance against IWU (earlier matchup) will not translate to a Rhodes victory.
Even 40% makes the potential for an upset feasible
HornsLax

Post by HornsLax »

Rhodes dominates 22-9... time to eat those words keyboard warriors.
LynxLax

Post by LynxLax »

THE. LYNX. ARE. ROLLING. Another huge win for the program. I refrain from addressing the plethora of dumb things that were said on this forum leading up to this game. I know the salty Berry and Sewanee parents on here will say that IW isn't a top program and beating them isn't all that significant. But the Lynx have already won more NCAA tournament games than the rest of the conference combined. Oh wait, that was already true after our first win.

Either way, I look forward to a great game on Saturday. I hope the rest of the conference can hop on the bandwagon; we would love to have you. If the Lynx play like they did today on Saturday, I feel good about our chances. Hopefully Van Blargan is back from his injury. He could be a game changer this weekend.
BroughtTheJuice

Post by BroughtTheJuice »

Rhodes doesn't need forum posts to back them up, they simply do it on the field. A dominating performance against a team with one loss and a big win over Ohio Wesleyan. If you'd ask someone with no prior knowledge who the 5 and the 12 seed were, they would have never guessed IWU was the 5 seed. Rhodes beat IWU at their own game (run and gun) and are flying into Granville on a serious high note. It would be great for the conference if Rhodes can continue the form on Saturday (no doubt they will) to show the country there is some serious lacrosse being played in the South right now...The Lynx are a different team than they were when they last played Denison, upset alert is on HIGH.
Handoverhamd

Post by Handoverhamd »

Great win for RHodes. That is how you make a statement to say you're at the next level.
Handoverhamd

Post by Handoverhamd »

I'm also going to give congrats to Rhodes as a school. They have really put an emphasis on being solid in all sports. More than any other SAA school their athletic department, admissions staff and the president work together to get quality. How many conference championships has Rhodes won in the past 5 years in all sports? Its is a lot. All of the other schools presidents just want them to win a conference championship, Rhodes is the only one pushing for more.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

“But the Lynx have already won more NCAA tournament games than the rest of the conference combined. Oh wait, that was already true after our first win. “

Congrats to Rhodes on a nice season so far and impressive win over IWU. But let’s pump the brakes just a little. Couple of big steps up in the level of competition looming on the near horizon.

Regarding the comment above, pause for a moment to reflect back on it ... a nice dig at the other programs, players & fans of the SAA perhaps ... but - when looked at in a broader context actually says a whole lot more about the overall inferiority of the conference compared to the rest of D-3. Makes crowing about it seem a little silly.
LynxLax

Post by LynxLax »

"Congrats to Rhodes on a nice season so far and impressive win over IWU. But let’s pump the brakes just a little. Couple of big steps up in the level of competition looming on the near horizon. "

Why? We are a bunch of parents or alumni on a forum. We aren't coaches or players underestimating our opponents or looking ahead. There is no advantage to being pragmatic in a forum post. We all just post to feel somewhat connected to the sport we love and are not allowed to play anymore.

With that being said, ROLL LYNX BABY. WE WINNING THE SHIP! I bet you'd still be telling me to pump the brakes though...
ergit

Post by ergit »

Measured, thoughtful and honest posts are generally interesting in the least, often informative, and can be taken seriously.
Homers, 'crack smokers', 'cool-aid drinkers', not so much...
Cavitee

Post by Cavitee »

As I alluded to before the IWU game Rhodes at 40% from the dot makes this a game. Rhodes at 57% made it a blow out. The same will hold true for Denison, they were 9/30 in the first meeting this year. Getting that number to 50% with a similar outing in the cage (see Rhodes v Denison in 2018 at Queen's College) from #10 makes the possibility of another upset highly likely...
Don't underestimate the value of having played Denison twice in the last 2 years and being competitive.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

OWU beat Denison 2 out of 3 last year despite not having a recruited fogo on the roster. They double poled every fo and a pole took the vast majority. The strategy was muck it up as much as possible at the X and if that didn't work pressure DeCamp into turnovers. I didn't look at the stats, but I think the games OWU won were in the 50/50 range.
boxrec103

Post by boxrec103 »

SAA Honors -- congratulations to all.

ATLANTA (April 23, 2019) –The Southern Athletic Association (SAA) announced the 2019 All-SAA Men's Lacrosse awards, Tuesday. The award winners were selected exclusively by the league's head coaches and conference office.

Davis Thompson of Birmingham-Southern was named SAA Offensive Player of the Year. Connor Jongewaard of Centre was named the SAA Defensive Player of the Year while Alexi Thomas of Rhodes captured the league's SAA Newcomer of the Year honor. Finally, Grant Zimmerman of Centre earned the league's SAA Coach of the Year award.

As the league's top offensive player, Thompson finished with 26 goals and 24 assists for the Panthers. The BSC attacker ranked 14th in goals, fifth in assists, and sixth in shots. In conference action, Thompson was eighth in points with 19 and ranked fourth with 14 assists.

With that, BSC ranked third in goals while leading the SAA in assists.

On the opposite side of the field, Jongewaard led Centre to a second-place finish in the SAA Regular Season standings. The Colonel goalkeeper led the league in save percentage (61.5) and games started in goal (14). He also ranked third in goals against and second in goals-against average. Jongewaard won 69.2 percent of his starts while ranking in the top half in nine SAA goalkeeper statistical categories.

In his first season of collegiate lacrosse, Thomas was outstanding as a long stick midfielder. He finished the season with 39 groundballs and 21 caused turnovers. He also added six goals

Finally, in his first season at Centre, Zimmerman led the Colonels to a second-place finish. The Centre Head Coach led the Colonels to a 10-4 record (.714) and 4-2 mark in SAA action. Centre led the league in shooting percentage and fewest goals allowed.
WCStars

Post by WCStars »

SAA-All Conference selections are interesting but they are subjective and the result of votes. But let's look at certain facts. It can be a smart coaching decision to allow back-ups and next year's starters to experience the pressure of a game which is very different than practice in a couple of non-crucial and/or non-conference games. This will impact stats which is all those who vote on these selections look at. When looking at a player individually and their difficulty of schedule of games they started and played in, many of these players would have a different profile. Fortunately, the players know this. As former players, we would take it with a grain of salt.
Handoverhamd

Post by Handoverhamd »

Good season for Rhodes, that is a real good push. Dominating Ill Wes has to be the highlight because it was at their place. They ran into the Queen of the South Denison and played tough. Hopefully next years champ will represent as well as RHodes did this year.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Handoverhamd wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 am Good season for Rhodes, that is a real good push. Dominating Ill Wes has to be the highlight because it was at their place. They ran into the Queen of the South Denison and played tough. Hopefully next years champ will represent as well as RHodes did this year.
Not sure the boys at DU will like being referred to as "Queen of the South" ... I guess you're just watching too much GOTs! But in that vein I'll just stick with Rhodes got schooled by the Kings of the Midwest! As I said in another thread, Rhodes is progressing nicely but I think they realized quickly that Denison at home in the playoffs is no IWU! And Rhodes isn't where they want to be yet.

The road to playing on the East Coast in the NCAAs for Midwest teams usual runs through Granville. It did again this year and Denison is again the ones coming out of the midwest and heading East. Here's hoping the Big Red come back from this trip ( their 3rd in the last 4 years) with more season still in front of them. Go Big Red!
Handoverhamd

Post by Handoverhamd »

Nosey Ned wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:43 am
Handoverhamd wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 am Good season for Rhodes, that is a real good push. Dominating Ill Wes has to be the highlight because it was at their place. They ran into the Queen of the South Denison and played tough. Hopefully next years champ will represent as well as RHodes did this year.
Not sure the boys at DU will like being referred to as "Queen of the South" ... I guess you're just watching too much GOTs! But in that vein I'll just stick with Rhodes got schooled by the Kings of the Midwest! As I said in another thread, Rhodes is progressing nicely but I think they realized quickly that Denison at home in the playoffs is no IWU! And Rhodes isn't where they want to be yet.

The road to playing on the East Coast in the NCAAs for Midwest teams usual runs through Granville. It did again this year and Denison is again the ones coming out of the midwest and heading East. Here's hoping the Big Red come back from this trip ( their 3rd in the last 4 years) with more season still in front of them. Go Big Red!
You kinda proved why I said it, even though Denison plays well they always have to go up north, to play the Kings of the South, Sals. And they haven't won one yet. So they are second fiddle. I hope they win this time, but just as we were telling Rhodes fans about making a run, I'll believe it when I see it.
parallax

Post by parallax »

Great showing by all 3 representatives of the SAA who played for the South in the USILA North-South Senior All-Star Game this past Friday. Davis Thompson (midfielder from BSC), Cameron Link (goalie from Rhodes) and Ryan Stubits (FO from Sewanee). Great cap for all three who had outstanding collegiate careers.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”