SALISBURY 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: SALISBURY 2019

Post by ah23 »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:55 am “Fear”, give me a break; they’re as big and fast as any D I team.
I'll have what he's drinking
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Easy on the forum-etiquette - Always fun playing Lynchburg - nothing but respect to those guys - They're a tough team w/ with very good players and great coaching -

Short story - When my son was a freshman playing in his first start (second game of the season) at Lynchburg, he was fortunate enough to score one goal - our family is not from the area an wasn't able to see the game. When nobody at Salisbury could get us game footage, I emailed coach Koudelka to see if he might consider helping us out - Keep in mind SU had just beat his team by one goal in a very competitive game.... That evening he emailed me back that with a temporary password so we could access and see the game.... So, I'm not kidding when I say I have respect for that program in general... but, Whodem52 is still a punk & I just didn't want him to forget to take his medicine...
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

You saw the Gulls today as you have seen them for years. Ready and starting to peak in the tournament.
Why all the drama- this is nothing new.
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

If anyone on this thread knows a current Salisbury student who isn’t on the lacrosse team, please PM me
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

I was unfortunately traveling and just had a chance to watch replay of yesterday's game. Good to see the boys starting to click on all cylinders. My schedule today does not allow me to give a recap, but I did watch the post game interviews and heard something that brought a smile to my face.

When being interviewed, Brett Malamphy was asked about his success during his time at Salisbury, and his journey over the past few years...

-Malamphy took a moment to describe the decision to come to Salisbury with nothing but praise. Once Brett made his remarks, Coach Berkman then chimed in and says "Let's make one thing clear, Brett has a few more than a couple of games left. Brett has won his year back from UMBC, so he has a few more games in Maroon and Gold" . Obviously I am not trying to look past this year, but really happy to hear #45 will be around for what appears to be another year. Now go get that 13th natty.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Consistent excellence... maybe Berkman doesn't get the credit he deserves because it seems the Seagulls are destined for success, but it doesn't happen by magic or by accident. The NESCAC is the best D3 lacrosse conference, but Salisbury is the D3 gold standard of a team. One of these years, Salisbury will need a new head coach, and he shall have immense shoes to fill. Good luck against Cabrini.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Denison fan here, to say congratulations and good luck the rest of the way. Just love the way Berkman's teams play lacrosse in May, even though it shows through seemingly every May with Denison. Good luck.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Congratulations to Salisbury on a terrific game. You guys were better, faster and stronger. Wish we had an answer last night but we didn’t. The venue is terrific, the staff was welcoming and the fans were gracious. We’ll be back ...... for another bite of the apple! Always a pleasure to face the “bell cow” of D3 men’s lacrosse!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Booyah Ned, Sea, Fann,
You are very kind; thank you for your gracious words. Nice rivalry developing. Well disciplined Caravana team. One uncharacteristic lapse in Q 4, but other wise an entertaining game. Big Red exposed some weaknesses Gulls need to address. Caravana and Berkman exchanged notes after the game. Except for the Mustang and Red Devil lapses, this game would have been played in Ohio. Annual semi/quarter finals good for recruiting.

Couple of us worked the perimeter of the Big Red crowd whispering Ned, Ned but no takers. We even asked one of the visitors if anybody from the fan club was named Ned or had a prominent nose. Next year rain or shine please sit under a red umbrella.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Sucks to be the Seagulls today. Oh well, another year and another team not living up to hype and expectations. Two years in a row. Great wins for Cabrini and Amherst! Congratulations
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

Slim wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 pm Sucks to be the Seagulls today. Oh well, another year and another team not living up to hype and expectations. Two years in a row. Great wins for Cabrini and Amherst! Congratulations
Hey Slim- Disappointing sure but I personally am very proud of how the Gulls competed this season. Take a look at the names that the Gulls lose year in and year out yet they are in the hunt “every year”.

So do us a favor and take a dive into an empty pool. Maybe that will help you clear your head and reaccess your post-

Congrats to both Cabrini & Amhearst on great seasons-
Slim

Post by Slim »

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Truth hurts! Still a disappointing season, gullible. Just saying.

Good luck to Cabrini and Amherst in the Natty Champ Saturday in Philly!
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

Slim - “Disappointing loss” not season... So, is this some has-been alum from a competing school or a bitter lax-dad spewing nasty rhetoric at a team who’s only been to the last 3 NC games (winning two) and then lost once in the semis this year?!?! No doubt your obvious resentment of s coming from somewhere deep down-

The only bush-league is that you took the time and decided to do your little fly-by the SU thread with no other intentions but to throw pot-shots at a team of young men who didn’t quite make it to or win the final game.

Well here are a few other truths for you...
1.) Although SU’s starting line of senior midfielders will be missed, 8 of the 13 goals scored in Sunday’s game came from the other classes (5 from younger midfielders). Bromwell was coming back into form after being sick earlier in the season. Don’t be surprised to see Gavel Dembeck & Emory Wongus with both with 40+ next season. Add Harbottle and I like the the way things are shaping up because you know the Gulls will find a pleasant surprise or two via incoming freshmen or transfers (You know?? Some of those guys wanting to be part of the “disappointing seasons”😂
2.) Attack Griffin Moroney (47 goals from ‘18) will be back in ‘20 after missing this season due to injury. Don’t be surprised to see Melton, Ferrara & Moroney rotating taking their turns dodging against shorties as well.
3.) The Defense all returns minus short-stick Parker Stevens. They will also have starting close pole Noah Kness back from injury (Berkman stated Kness is the Gull’s best one-on-one defender) - This will likely let Kevin Murphy return to his natural position where he wreaks havoc as an LSM.
4.) At the X - Rumor has it Brett Malamphy was given back his year of eligibility from the NCAA- Freshman Eoghan Sweeney would start for most D 3 schools and TJ Logue will be coming back from a redshirt year (yeah TJ’s the one who shined in both of the NC game victories in ‘16 & ‘17) - So rest easy Slim - The Gulls will be back in the hunt next season just as they always are - competing every game w/ a commitment to excellence and the courage to push for the big prize every year...
5.) Finally, I want to emphasize that as much as I want the Gulls to win, I am always reluctant to criticize opposing teams or players who give their blood, sweat & tears to their schools, coaches and teammates— I can also assure you that I’d never go taunt or ridicule some team that had just lost lost a heart-breaker like you decided to do. Keep in mind Slim, some very very good friends played their last game together & possibly their last game of lacrosse on Sunday. I think you should remember that the tears you see after games like the one on Sunday are far less about losing a game than they are about the realty that many will have played their last game “together”...

What a loser you are
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

As a Washington College fan, I am envious of Salisbury’s season. Gulls are a winning program..period, they always reload. The only thought that I have is this: how do you keep the guys from coming out cold? If I look at the losses/close games this year it usually comes from a 1st quarter or 1st half of not playing close to their potential. Then they go on an absolute march the second half. The guys have talent and heart out the wazoo..sometimes it takes them a while to get going..based on some of the recruits I’m seeing commit, Gull fans shouldn’t worry a bit...
Slim

Post by Slim »

Even though I am not a Gulls fan, just ask gullible, I do agree that they always reload (D1 transfers help), and play hard . I think it's the fact that they are a cocky bunch year in and year out. This year, that back-fired on them and were outplayed by Cabrini when it counted most. The winning at all costs attitude has always been a trademark of the program under the coach. But, that's probably why they have 12 titles. Still, that works for some kids, while others get lost in the philosophy and system.

Whether gullible believes it or not, I do feel for their seniors who I'm sure are disappointed with the outcome, and have invested so much. The Gwin kid is as good as a D3 middie as I've seen at that level. I respect the way he goes about his business on the field.

So, I am sure they have a ton of talent coming back (they always do), and they will once again reload. That being said, I remain excited that two new teams are playing in the Natty Champ this weekend in Philly.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

GULL Class of 2019

Thanks for the memories and good luck as you join your fellow Gull lacrosse alumni in the world. Last I heard there were more than 300 Gull lax players involved in lacrosse at some level from D I to rec leagues; from New Hampshire to California.

You had 4 - 20 win seasons; 2 NCs; 1 Runner up and 1 semi appearance. You had 87 wins and 8 losses. Most importantly you represented your families, your school and your team mates well on the field and off. A few of you will be designated AAs by some group or another. But you're all Gulls and you had the good fortune to play a sport you love under the direction a coach who loves your sport as much as you do.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Well Done - Seniors!!

I've been fortunate enough to meet most of the Seniors and what a group they are. I have no doubt you’ll all find success in your careers, as husbands & fathers - whatever the case may be... It’s not hard to find see the impact you’ve had on your school, the program & your community. One only needs to look at the strides made by the younger classes to understand what your leadership has meant to all involved. In line with what MrLax mentioned below, the thoughts of awards and all the victories tend to fade over time. But on those less than perfect days that hit us all, you’ll be able to reach back and smile while thinking about your friendships and all the moments you shared together. You’ll smile thinking back on all those life-lessons that coach beat into your subconscious – and you mark my words, you’ll be passing on those same messages and values about work ethic, commitment & leadership, etc. to your children one day-

For those 2019 Seniors who may come across this post, it’s not too difficult to figure out who I am…. From Pops who couldn’t be at all the games, I want to extend a heartfelt “Thank You” to each of you and your families for making that kid from a ways west of the South Shore feel so welcome & loved. Special Memories & Friendships - You will be missed...

Thank you for the memories!!
GOGULLS!!
RetiredCardinal

Post by RetiredCardinal »

Gulls All-Americans 2019

Attack - Melton (1st Team); Ferrara (HM)
Mid - Gwin (1st Team & Fran McCall Outstanding Midfielder); Pompea (1st Team)
Def - Apgar(1st Team)
SSDM - Greik (2nd Team)
LSM - Murphy (2nd Team)
FOGO - Malamphy (1st Team & F/O Player of the Year)

And they only lose Gwin and Pompea going into 2020. :shock:
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

RetiredCardinal wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:00 pm Gulls All-Americans 2019

Attack - Melton (1st Team); Ferrara (HM)
Mid - Gwin (1st Team & Fran McCall Outstanding Midfielder); Pompea (1st Team)
Def - Apgar(1st Team)
SSDM - Greik (2nd Team)
LSM - Murphy (2nd Team)
FOGO - Malamphy (1st Team & F/O Player of the Year)

And they only lose Gwin and Pompea going into 2020. :shock:
And we hopefully get back Griffin Moroney (starting attack in '18, scored 47 goals at a soph), who missed all year with an injury and Noah Kness who started and impressed in his first 9 games of this year, but also fell to an injury.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Yes - Griffin Moroney will be back next season. Tore his ACL in January, had surgery in February and word is that he’s scheduled to be ready for October fall ball. Big loss for the Seagulls this year, as he was a preseason All-American. But will make that attack extremely formidable next season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”