SALISBURY 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MrLax2U

Re: SALISBURY 2019

Post by MrLax2U »

Greetings GOGULL,
The Cabrini game will be interesting.
1. Someone has to step up; take Kness’s pole and mesh with Bork and Apgar.
2. Gulls need a fourth attack to challenge Armstrong and sub as necessary.
3. Coach Block has to think outside the box and find a partner for Malamphy.
4. Wongus and Short are on the doorstep. One needs a breakout game as a confidence builder.
5. Philadelphia sports teams sometimes get an unfair home field advantage. In 2017 Aaron Leeds got three minutes non-releasable and an ejection from the stadium for a hit that some thought legal. Ref seemed to get caught up in home fan excitement at a possible upset. Generally more of a rec league phenomenon. Cost Gulls an undefeated season.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

5. Philadelphia sports teams sometimes get an unfair home field advantage. In 2017 Aaron Leeds got three minutes non-releasable and an ejection from the stadium for a hit that some thought legal. Ref seemed to get caught up in home fan excitement at a possible upset. Generally more of a rec league phenomenon. Cost Gulls an undefeated season.
I was there as a lax fan for a good game, I saw the hit, it was very late and and unnecessary the play was over. The penalty was well deserved.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

To me it appeared Leeds launched as the shot was being taken. The follow through may have been after the shot left the crosse. Leeds was not the kind of man to disrespect the game or try to injure another player.

Maybe one minute UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS. That call decided the game.

In the follow-up game in the playoffs @Salisbury Penalties Gulls: 90 seconds; Cavs 5 minutes 30 seconds including 2 UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

To me it appeared Leeds launched as the shot was being taken. The follow through may have been after the shot left the crosse. Leeds was not the kind of man to disrespect the game or try to injure another player.

In the follow-up game in the playoffs @Salisbury Penalties Gulls: 90 seconds; Cavs 5 minutes 30 seconds including 2 UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS.
Excited to see this game. Salisbury did win when the game counted the most. It appears both teams have a few injuries, but hoping for a good game.

Not to quibble about a play 2 years ago but as a ref you remember certain plays. Here is what I believe was the sequence and why the refs throw the flags.
1. The goal had been scored and the Refs had blown their whistles, which makes it a dead ball foul.
2. The pole wasn't next the the Cabrini player but had taken a run at him
3. It was a blind side hit.

I also won't disagree that it was a high pressure game for the refs. It was one of the best regular season games I have seen in a while, hoping for something similar tonight.

Good luck to both teams tonight.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

We remember the same play but maybe a fraction of a second differentiates us. Did one of the Salisbury coaches get flagged or ejected for protesting?

Leeds is a college lacrosse coach now.

Nice rivalry is developing between the two teams. Pretty sure they'll see each other again this spring.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

I've got video of the hit- Watched many times - 3 minute non-releasable was extreme in my opinion
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

It isn’t a rivalry when one team has won the game only once in the history, and that by an extremely controversial penalty call at the end of the game, as well documented above. In all the other meetings, Salisbury has dominated. Cabrini may see it as a rivalry, largely because it is by far the toughest game on their schedule - however Salisbury doesn’t view Cabrini on the same level as say York, Stevenson, Lynchburg, Gettysburg, Washington college etc.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Good morning Dr. P,
Over his career Berkman has won ~90% of his games; Tufts at 50% in the NC games is an outlier.

Coach Colfer @ Cabrini has his team on an upswing. I wouldn't be surprised to see them run the rest of their schedule with the Stangs on 4/19 being their only serious challenge. Colfer seems to be following the Mustang's formula in picking an easy conference for the AQ and a tough OOC schedule to build his program. Losing to YCP and the Gulls isn't so bad. Joining CAC for lacrosse would be better.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Congrats to the Gulls, shows why they are #1, had hoped Cabrirni would have given them more of a game. Proof that you can't win without the ball.

Just out of curiosity you guys have been in the finals 15 out of the last 20, who exactly is your rival and does anyone have a winning record against you?
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

palaxoff wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:25 am Congrats to the Gulls, shows why they are #1, had hoped Cabrirni would have given them more of a game. Proof that you can't win without the ball.

Just out of curiosity you guys have been in the finals 15 out of the last 20, who exactly is your rival and does anyone have a winning record against you?
As a former player, I tend to think of Gettysburg, Wac, York, and Stevenson as some of our rivals. WAC because of the history and War on the shore. Gettysburg because they are always a great program and typically the pride of the Centennial conference, the history not only with trading some wins and loses, but with the connection of Coach Janczyk and Coach Berkman. Stevenson because of the late 2000s battles and knowing you were going to play those guys 3x a year (regular season, conf playoffs, tourney). That Stevenson rival has fizzled some on the scoreboard, but is still a battle on the field. Fantastic atmosphere when those 2 come together. Last, but not least... York. A top 10 program in your own conference. Most recently shared some wins and losses, has not developed the bite or snarl as the Salisbury/Stevenson rivalry, but it's an intense game with 2 well coached and dominant teams.

With all that being said, I am curious to see what happens if/when the CAC makes some big changes. I was thinking CNU would hop into the mix of rivals given their recent success, their quality wins and national recognition, but we shall see. I can tell you by first hand experience, no one is ever taken lightly regardless if it is a rivalry or not.. One game that sticks out to me that had a rivalry type feel was OWU..
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

does anyone have a winning record against you?
Duke 2 - 2; Hobart 1 - 5; Dartmouth 0 - 1; Wesleyan 0 - 1; Towson 0 - 6; UMBC 0 - 7; Loyola 6 - 7; Univ of Baltimore 2 - 4.
Last edited by MrLax2U on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RetiredCardinal

Post by RetiredCardinal »

A couple takes from last night:

* Cabrini's streaming was awful
* The Gulls defense is really something to watch. In addition to only giving up double-digit goals once all season (and only because of some bad transitions when making subs late in the G'burg game) these guys are just tenacious. Quick on opponents hands and physical when they need to be.
* Murphy looked very fluid at close D in absence of Kness. His caused turnover de-sticking a Cavalier reminded me of Ternahan.
* Borkowicz played tough on Krug. Krug scored 3 but Bork was on him and forcing him to off-hand all night.
* Apgar extremely solid on D.
* Warren back in early season form. Had some concerns b/c he hasn't been seeing many shots in last few games (faced 1 SOG vs Montclair St). Made the ones he should vs Cabrini and some he shouldn't have including a kick save and then breaking Krug's heart on a busted one-on-one deal in Q4.
* Melton just continues to roll

CAC play starts w UMW on Saturday!
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

RetiredCardinal wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 am A couple takes from last night:

* The Gulls defense is really something to watch. In addition to only giving up double-digit goals once all season (and only because of some bad transitions when making subs late in the G'burg game) these guys are just tenacious. Quick on opponents hands and physical when they need to be.
* Murphy looked very fluid at close D in absence of Kness. His caused turnover de-sticking a Cavalier reminded me of Ternahan.
* Borkowicz played tough on Krug. Krug scored 3 but Bork was on him and forcing him to off-hand all night.
* Warren back in early season form. Had some concerns b/c he hasn't been seeing many shots in last few games (faced 1 SOG vs Montclair St). Made the ones he should vs Cabrini and some he shouldn't have including a kick save and then breaking Krug's heart on a busted one-on-one deal in Q4.

I agree the Streaming was bad..., Gulls looked like the solid professional and all business, was somewhat disappointed in Cabrini last night but maybe I just bought into the hype. Yes, they have only losses to Y&S, but IMHO, both where telling losses and the Cav's maybe just a tad overrated @ #6, Base upon the eye test so far, there are several teams in the rear view mirror that are just better. I put Dickinson & Gberg in that category now as well, especially after the Bullets performance @ F&M
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MrLax,
Thanks for mentioning U of Baltimore. I had no idea about the school’s lacrosse history, as they stopped having a team before my time.

I’ve enjoyed reading about them since seeing our post.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

U of Baltimore won 4 consecutive D II NCs (1956 - 9) and were later coached by Dick Edell. In 1983 the school abandoned varsity sports.
OCLAx

Post by OCLAx »

The Super Bees were a pretty good D1 team in the 80's, often times ranked. They had a pretty good coach (Richie Mead) along with some good players, including Vinnie Pfeifer and Arnie Ammadon. Roster was mostly New Yorkers, as it was a Junior / Senior school only, and most recruits came from the New York powerhouse JuCos.
OCLAx

Post by OCLAx »

Nothing But Net wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 am
RetiredCardinal wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 am A couple takes from last night:

I agree the Streaming was bad..., Gulls looked like the solid professional and all business, was somewhat disappointed in Cabrini last night but maybe I just bought into the hype. Yes, they have only losses to Y&S, but IMHO, both where telling losses and the Cav's maybe just a tad overrated @ #6, Base upon the eye test so far, there are several teams in the rear view mirror that are just better. I put Dickinson & Gberg in that category now as well, especially after the Bullets performance @ F&M
Cabrini beat Dickenson relatively easily (14-8, 13-5 going into 4th quarter) a couple of weeks ago.
Boomakegga

Post by Boomakegga »

MrLax2U wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:21 pm To me it appeared Leeds launched as the shot was being taken. The follow through may have been after the shot left the crosse. Leeds was not the kind of man to disrespect the game or try to injure another player.

I think 1 minute would have been a more reasonable call. But your coach lost the game by shutting #13 on man down and Cabrini adjusting. 5v4 is way different than 6v5. I was surprised he stuck with it after they scored the first one.
Boomakegga

Post by Boomakegga »

I have always heard and never doubted that the “home field advantage” in lacrosse is attributed to ref bias. I think it has more to do with possession fouls at face off and push calls. It seems very real when I watch a game at Salisbury. I think Pa refs have a similar bias, although I seriously doubt any of them like Colfer.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

This Gull team continues to roll !

RetiredCard-
Couldn't agree more about the Defense - They're tough, play great team D, and clearing the ball well. All three close D are legit and playing with an edge I like. Greik, Steven, Ford & Saulino have been outstanding ! Woodward and O'Callaghan will need to step up now that Murphy's filling in for Kness. This is a young and very good group playing defense for Salisbury right now.

The offense looks like they're having some fun out there. Nearly 63% of their goals are assisted - Riding hard & playing great team offense. The good passing bodes well for when they face zone-defensive schemes in future games.

And yeah.... the feed and the acutal filming were terrible. "Hey Cabrini- No more complaining about lack of respect until you improve filming & get someone up in the booth calling your home games"

MrLax-
In regards to Wongus & Short, I'm in agreement with you on their potential. The message I'd send them is to focus on doing a "few" things really well vs. being average at everything.

"All" the current Gull starters on offense (1st line mids included) have gone through a similar dynamic where they're not scoring as much as they'd like to. The best thing to do is just keep playing within the system while limiting turnovers and picking up GB's. When you decide to dodge, go hell-bent-for leather and just try to put it on the goalie's offside. When you're in an offensive set and passing, really try to consistently focus on the little things like the mechanics involve with quickly catch a pass and then delivering the the next pass with accuracy. Try to nail down a couple go-to dodges and identify a couple spots in offensive sets where they feel most comfortable getting feeds, etc. Chemistry isn't just about the player scoring - It's also about the player feeding the ball, setting/slipping picks etc. If you keep finding success in these few "go-to" scenarios, during practice, your teammates will start looking for you at those same moments come game time.

GOGULLS!!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”