SALISBURY 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MrLax2U

SALISBURY 2019

Post by MrLax2U »

To initiate our new forum I thought I'd quote from Dom Starsia's 50 years of lacrosse memories:
— It was early 1993, my first spring at Virginia and, in the snow, Roanoke was playing Salisbury on the Astroturf at Scott Stadium at 11:00am on a weekday morning. There was a short, stocky attackman from Salisbury who had ten goals that day in his first college contest. Tough as nails and couldn’t miss…..Jason Coffman broke every national scoring record and went on to the most decorated career in college lacrosse history.
Is there someone on the 2019 fall ball try out roster who can compare?
RetiredCardinal

Re: SALISBURY 2019

Post by RetiredCardinal »

While not a scorer, from what I can tell, curious of the impact of Onondaga transfer SSDM Riley Ford. Could he be a solid replacement for Troy Miller?
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

MrLax2U wrote: Is there someone on the 2019 fall ball try out roster who can compare?
Without being a Debbie Downer, sorry to say, but probably not. He was a generational talent.
Even with all the incredibly good talent there's been through the doors of Maggs the past two decades, there hasn't been one like him since.
And that is considering some VERY good players/scorers.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Not to mention Coffman and Co liked to run and have fun:

https://twitter.com/diiilacrosse/status ... 62528?s=21
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Great clip, Smell; thanks. Who was # 10 the goalie. A behind the back outlet pass... Wow.

I have to disagree on 1995 Gulls being the best ever D 3 lax team. I thought it was 2016 Gulls because they beat an absolutely great Tufts team for the NC.And what an ending.

Or maybe the 2012 team with the 2nd and 3rd point and goal scorers in Salisbury history.
Last edited by MrLax2U on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I think you have to look at the numbers.
Got to like 2012. Thay had 12 All Americans.
7 first teamers.
Kids who didn't start were being named AA.
I think it's safe to say that's probably never happened in any other program.

2012 (12)
Sam Bradman (1st team)
Matt Cannone (1st team)
Ryan Clarke (1st team)
Tyler Granelli (1st team)
Erik Krum (1st team)
Dean Rossi (1st team)
Andrew Sellers (1st team)
Evan Hockel (3rd team)
Parker Dickerson (HM)
Tony Mendes (HM)
Zeke Smith (HM)
Alex Taylor (HM)

I'd love to see a historical, year-by-year roster break down for the Gulls to see which year had the most total eventual AAs on each roster.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Smell, you made me reconsider.

On a man to man analysis: Pick one (2012 or 2016) for your team. My picks:
Bradman no contest
Cannone v Blondino; the numbers say Cannone but he had Bradman to play off. Blondino
Clarke v Cirillo; Clarke led the great comeback against the Stangs but I say even
Mendes v Bromwell; Bromwell bigger, stronger
Granelli no contest
Krum v Kalama; Kalama
Rossi, Smith and Sherr v Tucker, Nowesnick and Leeds; RSS for me but Berkman may differ.
Sellers v Dabbs; Dabs but in a foxhole I’d want Sellers next to me. Tough and mean
Taylor v Reymann; even
Hockel v Ternahan; even
Dickerson v LaClair; LaClair a one man clearing machine

I think if they played, Bradman and Granelli tip the scales.
RetiredCardinal

2017 - 10 AAs
2016 - 9 AAs
2015 - 7 AAs
2014 - 10 AAs
2013 - 6 AAs
2012 - 12 AAs
2011 - 10 AAs
2010 - 8 AAs
2009 - 4 AAs
2008 - 6 AAs
2007 - 11 AAs
2006 - 8 AAs
2005 - 8 AAs
2004 - 10 AAs
1996 thru 2003 - most was 8 AAs in ‘99
1995 - 11 AAs

***source = 2018 season program
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Berkman and the Gulls have a mountain to climb in 2019; probably higher than last year.

Gone are Tucker and Nowesnick, anchors of the close D plus the entire rope unit. Worse, the fist at the end of the rope, LeClair, was a one man clearing machine. And as we saw in the NC game the Gulls had trouble clearing at times plus Man Down was weak.

Offense is young with experience but the ending of the NC game was a bunch of wild shots. Shoulda slapped the Cardinals with a couple and at least sent the game to OT. No finisher. Years past the Gulls would ‘ve shredded a zone. Worse, they saw it in the earlier CNU games and didn’t adjust. Or maybe couldn’t.

Half the starters are big and fast enough to play defensive backfield in the SEC. Attack are under weight and need someone to crash defenses. Bromwell and Snyder are capable but play like gentle giants. Five offensive middies have potential and Berkman makes great lacrosse players. We’ll see.

Okay at goalie and XO needs work.

CAC has become a dangerous neighborhood. Hornets, Battlin Bishops, Stangs, Bullets, ShoMen, Cavs will be Gunning for Gulls.

Any word from fall ball and when the 2019 schedule will be released?
RetiredCardinal

Nothing on Gulls schedule posted on their site but this is on the CAC site:

http://cacsports.com/sports/mlax/2018-1 ... nlb5hyxgsx
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

The Gulls away at LC this year. Glad Berkman has make this early matchup a tradition.
RetiredCardinal

Noticed Gulls Maroon & Gold game scheduled for next Friday, Oct 26. Anyone headed down for this? Interested to see how they replace Nowesnick/Tucker.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Interested to see how they replace Nowesnick/Tucker.
Not sure who's healthy and in the mix but Borkowitz, Apgar and Murphy would be a good start with DiPeso, Kness and several others fighting for PT.

I'm also curious to see what Berkman does with Bromwell who seemed to get more confident as last season wore on. Size, speed, quick hands and a rocket shot.

And Snyder. A confident, concentrated Snyder could be an AA and lead the charge to #13 but.... Good start last year but then as others started to gel he regressed. Seemed to lose confidence.
jusreLaxin

Post by jusreLaxin »

Maroon and Gold game last night. The weather was not the greatest! I'd like to hear from somebody that went...the good, the bad, and hopefully no uglies!?
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

The word in SeaGull land after fall ball is that the offense is in great shape and defense needs a lot of improvement. The opposite from 2018.

The offense is deep and very good. If the defense can hold an opponent under 14 goals, offense should be able to carry the game. And I'd expect shot % to increase substantially above 2018 32%

It'll be interesting to see if anybody makes that giant step to be a legit POY candidate. Just about all of them have the size, strength and speed but greatness is 90% mental. Did the last 5 minutes of the 2018 NC game lite someone's fuse?

2019 is shaping up to be a very competitive year. Probably nine teams in the South are contenders and half as many in the North. Parity is creeping in. Two months to go.
RetiredCardinal

Also heard offense could be high powered. Moroney maturing nicely and can rip from anywhere - similar to Cirillo back in the day (also donned #2). Ferarra running with Moroney and Melton in M&G game. Lots of upside with this kid. Eager to see what he can do.

1st mids should also bring firepower, especially if Bromwell makes the jump from 2nd mids. I like the thought of Bromwell/Gwin/Wongus on that 1st line.

As I have mentioned before, it's hard to replace two players like Tucker and Nowesnick but Borkowicz brings experience as a junior and he was paired with Sophs Apgar and Kness during M&G. Hoping Murphy is rehabbing well and gets on the field early - wonder if it will be up top as in 2017 on down close. Gulls GK Warren should see more shots with a young defense so needs to be ready to hold opposition to < 14 Gs as MrLax suggests.

Don't think you will see any POY candidates out of this group. Senior class is good but no elite players like Blondino, Tucker, Ternahan as in years past; Junior class has many strong contributors; Soph class still has many trying to find their way; Fresh - who knows??
RetiredCardinal

Gulls Schedule up on website:
http://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/2018-19/schedule

Former Gull Nick Fiorentino brings his SUNY Geneseo squad to the Shore.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Gulls land one from each position on IL’s Preseason AA lists:

Mid - Gwin (1st team)
Att - Moroney (HM)
Def - Murphy (HM)
GK - Warren (HM)
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

This site keeps a-changing and we lost RetiredCardinal’s last post with his predictions so let me start anew with mine.

Apgar has a breakout season. He took Nowesnick’s # 11 and he’ll fill his shoes. Nod to a mentor.

Wongus steps to the edge of greatness. He put on 10 lbs of muscle and with Pompea the duo are virtually unstoppable against a man to man defense. The Ifs are the rest of the unit. Gwin, Short, Snyder, Bromwell; who steps forward?

Zone defense; Berkman will obliterate it but catch me as the season progresses.

Ferrara has a breakout season on the shoulders of Melton. Ferrar 6’2” 185# may not approach the legendary Jason Coffman but he’ll approach John Uppgren (Tufts) who is the 2010s era equivalent.

Rope unit will be okay unless someone steps up big time. New rules; full ride.

Goalie depends on whether Warren hears footsteps over his shoulder. An early lapse helped Wesleyan win the 2018 NC. Eric Miller….

FOGO; two seniors, weak link. Berkman will compensate like in the 2016 NC against a stud Tufts FOGO.
RetiredCardinal

Good to see the site back up again, especially as the season is about to begin.

The biggest concern I had when the roster was available was the absence of Moroney. Hearing he is out with an injury. With Moroney out, I would expect the 1st line to be Ferrara, Armstrong and Melton. Ferrara ran with the 1s in M&G game in October and as MrLax mentioned is ready to prove himself. Armstrong will have to get more aggressive and attack the goal to replace the goals lost by Moroney’s absence.

Wongus is going to be a special player and should join Gwin and Pompea on 1st Mids. I suspect Bromwell will lead the 2nd unit. I heard on a podcast that Berkman said he’s got the hardest shot on the team. Bromwell will get the green light often including on EMO. Hoping Snyder bounces back and runs with Bromwell. I suspect Short will round out the 2nd line but he has to improve lax IQ and avoid turnovers that plagued him in 2018.

Funny that Apgar took Nowesnick’s #11. Big athletic defender who needs to step up and avoid any Soph gitters. Borkowicz lone returning D starter but high IQ guy. Soph Kness should get the third spot. Looks like Berkman landed another tall drink of water in 6’7”; 210lb Thomas Ballard. Wondering how long until Murphy is back.

Senior Parker Stevens should lead SSDM and be paired with Greik, who looks to be cut of the same cloth as Troy Miller. FOGO tandem of Malamphy and Logue should share duties at X based on matchups.

Don’t see anyone unseating Warren in the net. Berkman had high praise for him in the Balt Sun following 2018 season after a 17-2 winning record. Frankly, if the Gulls score three more goals in NC Warren’s name has to be in the discussion for MOP with Gwin and Pompea after holding The Cards scoreless for 26 mins; 11 saves and 6 GBs. Warren seems to make the saves a GK should and some he shouldn’t. With an inexperienced D, he will need to make more of the ones he shouldn’t.

It all plays out this Sunday.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”