NCAC 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldtimelax

Re: NCAC 2019

Post by oldtimelax »

OWU has disappointing loss to Messiah 15-9. Didn't see the game, but Bishops were awful at the start again, going down 11-2 at half. They did rally in the third quarter and cut it to 12-7 and 13-8, but couldn't get any closer. Stats show major problems with face-offs, and basic things like ground balls, clears and turnovers. The loss of their ten seniors (five of whom were AA's) seems to be looming large.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Not a great day for the NCAC in out of conference play. OWU loses to Messiah 15-9, Wooster gets whacked by St. John Fisher, 20-3 and Denison loses 14-6 to Stevenson at home. Kenyon did beat Capital 8-7 in OT. Wittenberg has a tough one vs. Ill. Wesleyan tomorrow.
takeaway

Post by takeaway »

Stevenson goalie played great but even if he didn't it wouldn't have mattered. That was bad as I've seen DU play in several years. Defense running around like they had no clue and veteran O looked like they have not adjusted to shot clock. It's early but much to work on.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

That was the worst I've seen Denison play is many years, and Stevenson got off the bus ready to play. Embarrassing first quarter in particular. Back to the woodshed.
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

What was a promising start with Wittenberg scoring first has now turned around to 7 to 1 IWU at the end of the first quarter. Witt is certainly trying to play an up tempo game but just can't keep up with the speed and physicality of IWU. Witt is moving the ball well and about even on FO wins. They need to cut down on the turnovers and generate more quality shots. Dig in, men. IWU is the real deal.
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

The final from Springfield was IWU 20 - Witt 13. This was a much different game then last year's match up in many ways. IWU plays an aggressive, fast break style and takes a ton of quality shots. Witt could have easily thrown in the towel but kept grinding. A significant number of Witt's goals came from middies in contrast to last week where the attack led the way in scoring. Turnovers were an issue for both teams and IWU was more effective in collecting ground balls. IWU had the edge at face off, 23 out of 37. IWU is going to win a lot of games and score a ton of goals this year. Losing stinks but Wittenberg can take some positives out of this one. My take 2 games in is that Witt has the talent and the mindset to have a much better year than last year. Shaping up to be an interesting year in the NCAC.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Well we're a month in and Denison/OWU look vulnerable. I think it unlikely that both of the Big 2 make it through the conference season undefeated until they play each other. So who is best positioned to spring the upset? Over the last 4-5 years Kenyon and Witt have come close to OWU but never quite got it done. Depauw is up and coming - will they be the one?
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 pm Well we're a month in and Denison/OWU look vulnerable. I think it unlikely that both of the Big 2 make it through the conference season undefeated until they play each other. So who is best positioned to spring the upset? Over the last 4-5 years Kenyon and Witt have come close to OWU but never quite got it done. Depauw is up and coming - will they be the one?
I think that all three of those teams feel they have a shot at beating Denison or OWU this year. It would be a boost to the reputation of the NCAC to see more competitive play within the conference. DePauw is loaded with uperclassman and have played very competitive lacrosse the past few years. Kenyon also has a lot of veteran players from big name HS programs. Interestingly, it took overtime for them to beat a good Capital team. Witt has the youngest roster out of the three but the smaller core of uperclassman make up most of the defensive rotation and some important goal scorers. With that said, Denison and OWU are still well coached teams with rosters loaded with talent. They are the royalty of the conference until proven otherwise. I can't wait to see what conference play brings.
OTTOLAX66

Post by OTTOLAX66 »

OWU was fortunate to pull out its first win of the season against Otterbein. Need to see the replay, but from my vantage point, the Cards scored the game winner in OT, but the ball caromed out of the net and off the goalie's back. Otterbein then got called for too many men on the field. Hats off to the OWU goalie, as he was the difference tonight.
laxdudeguy43

Post by laxdudeguy43 »

Fellas,

Did i call it or did I call it. My pick on Woo might have been a little off (Dont sleep though, scots are a force to be reckoned with). But OWU has not come out hot, Last year they beat OTT 18-6, year before that they beat them 20-5. This year they squeak by by the hair of their chin in overtime. Anyone know if they are injury plagued? Tennant has been very effective in transition in the past but maybe the loss of that core of two way middies last year is resulting in fewer looks for him this year, he only had a goal on the night. Has a solid roster pic going though and looks like he shed a few lbs (way to go max). tough start for the conference but this should turn into some interesting stuff once conference play fires up.
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

laxdudeguy43 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:39 am Fellas,

Did i call it or did I call it. My pick on Woo might have been a little off (Dont sleep though, scots are a force to be reckoned with). But OWU has not come out hot, Last year they beat OTT 18-6, year before that they beat them 20-5. This year they squeak by by the hair of their chin in overtime. Anyone know if they are injury plagued? Tennant has been very effective in transition in the past but maybe the loss of that core of two way middies last year is resulting in fewer looks for him this year, he only had a goal on the night. Has a solid roster pic going though and looks like he shed a few lbs (way to go max). tough start for the conference but this should turn into some interesting stuff once conference play fires up.
Thx for this and all the other recent posts. New to the NCAC and still trying to learn the lay of the land. Any games of interest this weekend?
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Here are some games along with some guesses...

Fri 3/1-
-Otterbein vs Wooster- I think Otterbein will be hungry for a solid NCAC win after almost taking down OWU last weekend.

Sat 3/2-
-Carthage vs DePauw
-Adrian vs Hiram
-Oberlin vs Olivet
-Wittenberg vs Transylvania
-Denison vs Roanoke- A tale of two teams trying to right the ship... Denison recently lost to Stevenson and Roanoke just lost badly to Christopher Newport (17-3). Look for Denison to regroup....DEN 14-9

Sun 3/3-
-Wooster vs John Carroll- Not sure how to compare Wooster’s loss to St John Fisher and JCU’s win over Concordia (Wisconsin). JCU is usually the top of the OAC....JCU 10-8
-Sewanee vs Kenyon- Sewanee looks shaky this season with recent losses to Guilford and. Then again, it took the Lords OT to beat Capital. Call it a toss up with Kenyon having home field...KEN 13-11
-OWU vs Salisbury- Despite a close game against Berry (9-7) the Gulls seem to have rebounded, beating Lynchburg, Widener, and #6 Gettysburg 17-10. I’m guessing the Bishops are down more after losing to Messiah and squeezing by Otterbein....SAL 16-7
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

Wittenberg lost ugly at Transylvania 15-7. They never seemed to have their collective heads in the game and played from behind all day. Transylvania had the edge in every measure from face offs (18 to 7), ground balls (44 to 22), and shots (45 to 22). Just a poor overall effort. The only bright spots were the two goals apiece from seniors Mike Carluccio and Jerry Coyle. Both players have struggled with injuries over the past few years and having them healthy and contributing to the offensive production will be crucial to Witt being competitive. Defensively, six ground balls apiece were collected by juniors Tony Lebarge and Jack Wolfe. League play is only going to bring tougher opponents. They can't afford to have too many games like this one.
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

Impressive win for Denison yesterday over Roanoke 20-6. Made the 6 hour drive well worth it! Need to keep improving to be ready for Mustang Classic.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Kenyon over Sewanee 12-9. Lords have non-conference games coming up against Haverford and Roanoke. Both programs are down this year so it’ll be interesting to see if Kenyon can take advantage.

OWU trailing Salisbury 16-6 with a quarter left to play.
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

Cnoll wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:42 am Impressive win for Denison yesterday over Roanoke 20-6. Made the 6 hour drive well worth it! Need to keep improving to be ready for Mustang Classic.
Thx for the update. On the issue of the drive, I'd love to see more games but for me it's also a 6 hour drive to see most games. Do any NCAC teams have a Roku channel?
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

Not that I know of.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Denison has a sports channel available on Roku, so does Stevenson....

https://www.denisonbigred.com/informati ... ts_Network

http://www.gomustangsports.com/livevideo/index
OTTOLAX66

Post by OTTOLAX66 »

At this time, it would appear that only Kenyon would have a slight chance to defeat OWU. Denison is the clear favorite to win the NCAC and OWU is still a solid #2. I'd still take odds that their combined conference losses will = 1. I would also say that John Carroll and Otterbein.would finish in the top 4 in the NCAC, if the tourney was.today.
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

OTTOLAX66 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm At this time, it would appear that only Kenyon would have a slight chance to defeat OWU. Denison is the clear favorite to win the NCAC and OWU is still a solid #2. I'd still take odds that their combined conference losses will = 1. I would also say that John Carroll and Otterbein.would finish in the top 4 in the NCAC, if the tourney was.today.
Confused. Are John Carroll and Otterbein in the NCAC? is there a tournament where these teams would play OWU, Denison, etc.? Sorry, new to this conference.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”