NCAC 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
RoyRike

Re: NCAC 2019

Post by RoyRike »

FannOLax wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 am
Cnoll wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:08 pm Denison should cruise tonight, but they better take Rhodes seriously.
There were some surprises in the first round, but this result is one of the biggest: not only did Rhodes beat Illinois Wesleyan in Illinois, they absolutely demolished them. I have no doubt that Caravana will have made it clear to his young men that a trip to Maryland is far from guaranteed.
Denison received possibly the best draw in the tournament. The south is a much weaker bracket than the north. Cabrini with their injuries are possibly a weaker team than in the earlier part of the season. Denison with Decamp will beat a respectable Rhodes team. Let’s see how far the Granville boys can go. I bet the race will end with Salisbury, an injured Decamp vs Malamphey will be too much to overcome .
Last edited by RoyRike on Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Cabrini is in another part of the bracket. Assuming a win over Rhodes (which won't be easy), Denison travels to Salisbury. I agree with you that overall the north is stronger, but Salisbury is the definite exception in the south.
RoyRike

Post by RoyRike »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am Cabrini is in another part of the bracket. Assuming a win over Rhodes (which won't be easy), Denison travels to Salisbury. I agree with you that overall the north is stronger, but Salisbury is the definite exception in the south.
If you want to beat Salisbury it starts with face offs and goal play. The two teams built best to defeat Salisbury in the south are York ( Sasso, even though he’s been owned by Malamphey) and W&L with Hodgson ( about 75%). Both York and W&L have very strong goalies and likely first team AA attackmen. I also think Denison lacks depth at midfield vs the Gulls
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

5-3 Denison after 1Q
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

8-4 half
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cnoll wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 1:55 pm8-4 half
Thanks. Keep updating if you can!!
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

10-4 after 3Q
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cnoll wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:24 pm10-4 after 3Q
Excellent. Let’s close them out.
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

11-7 final
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

Another long drive for the third time in four years to a destination I absolutely despise. At least we get to go back to a top notch restaurant off the beaten path near Ocean City we found three years ago.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Crab, beers, and a win for the NCAC should soften the blow of the drive. Good luck!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

FannOLax wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 am
Cnoll wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:08 pm Denison should cruise tonight, but they better take Rhodes seriously.
There were some surprises in the first round, but this result is one of the biggest: not only did Rhodes beat Illinois Wesleyan in Illinois, they absolutely demolished them. I have no doubt that Caravana will have made it clear to his young men that a trip to Maryland is far from guaranteed.
The trip back to Maryland was not guaranteed but the Big Red handled their business yesterday in workmanlike fashion. They jumped out to a 4-0 start in the first 3 minutes of the game on individual plays from all 3 attackmen! Rhodes poles couldn't match up. It was abundantly clear that if Rhodes didn't make some immediate adjustments the game would get out of hand quickly. So smartly, the Lynx jumped into a zone and proceeded to play it for the rest of the game. Credit to Rhodes for making the adjustment and after being down 5-0 were able to get back in the game (while the Denison offense figured out the Rhodes zone) with some individual plays of their own cutting the deficit to 1 goal at 5-4. But after figuring out the Rhodes zone, Denison did what Denison does ... went on a run! They scored the next 5 goals while holding Rhodes scoreless for almost 30 minutes of game time. Fast forward to the end of the 3Q and its 10-4. Now Rhodes zone was working against them as it "shortened the game" and the Big Red went into patient mode knowing they would not lose a 6 goal lead if they patiently played their game. A couple of last minute goals by the Lynx made the final score more respectable but still a very workmanlike job by the Big Red! Job well done boys! You've earned the return trip to Salisbury!

Sincere congratulations to Rhodes, they are getting bigger, faster and more athletic every year and this group of players has served the program well and the seniors will leave it better then they got it. Not much more you can ask of any class.
RoyRike

Post by RoyRike »

Thought Denison would cruise their first two games and have. Things get a little tougher in the next contest where the matchups are going to be challenging. For starters, tough to beat the Gulls if you can’t do 50% on face offs. York overcame that disparity in their first meeting but not in the second. Decamp is good but can’t see him getting to 50% or better against Malamphey,(UMBC transfer)Goal tending is another category where I believe the Gulls have an advantage that’s critical, that along with the physicality of the Gull D will suppress a good Denison attack which is the key to their offense. The Denison D is average as are the mids overall, advantage Gulls at mid....Can Denison get to 12 goals? Don’t believe they can especially if the Gulls begin to play make it take it. It’s possible the Gulls maybe looking ahead but I think this game will be over early
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

RoyRike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 pm Thought Denison would cruise their first two games and have. Things get a little tougher in the next contest where the matchups are going to be challenging. For starters, tough to beat the Gulls if you can’t do 50% on face offs. York overcame that disparity in their first meeting but not in the second. Decamp is good but can’t see him getting to 50% or better against Malamphey,(UMBC transfer)Goal tending is another category where I believe the Gulls have an advantage that’s critical, that along with the physicality of the Gull D will suppress a good Denison attack which is the key to their offense. The Denison D is average as are the mids overall, advantage Gulls at mid....Can Denison get to 12 goals? Don’t believe they can especially if the Gulls begin to play make it take it. It’s possible the Gulls maybe looking ahead but I think this game will be over early
Salisbury is stacked with talented players on all 3 sections of the field and is coached by a legend. So yes,
Denison will need to play its best game of the season to have a punchers chance on Wednesday. They are the underdog for good reason and as such face an uphill battle. So I'm sure most people navigating this site will share your feelings. However I think the 2 disciplines you specifally mention (FO and goaltending) where you feel SU has the clear edge are areas I think could be the surprise and if i'm right, could put Denison right in this battle. Decamp and his wing play, have really been playing very well since his return from injury. IF that unit can get to 50% and be disruptive enough to minimize fast breaks when he doesn't win the clamp, that will be key.... and doable. But more importantly I think just dismissing Reeves McKenney in goal tells me you haven't seen him play very much this year. In 10 OOC games (meaning the best teams they've faced) and playoff games this year he has hit high double digit saves in 9 of them and has a well above 50% save percentage in 9 as well. He's actually one of the strengths of the team so I wouldn't be so dismissive of him. The rest of your analysis we can dissect as well but I'll simply say the attack unit won't shy away from physical defending - the middies are senior heavy and will play determined lacrosse - and the young defense has really jelled as the season has progressed and will be ready to compete!

Lastly, consider that many of the key contributors/leaders of this version of the Big Red have played Salisbury in Salisbury a couple times already in the NCAAs and that will insure they won't be star struck by the opponent or the venue and they'll fully know what kind of effort it will take to leave with a victory. If Denison can play their best lacrosse for 4 full quarters and O.T. , hit 50% on FOs and McKenney plays to his capabilities, DU could just do this. Yeah I can hear the haters now, "and if pigs could fly Ned" .... but regardless of all the doubters, I'll be on the Eastern Shore Wednesday rockin' the Big Red's colors and rooting the boys on to what i predict will be a Big Red win in overtime! GO BIG RED!!!!
RoyRike

Post by RoyRike »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm
RoyRike wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 pm Thought Denison would cruise their first two games and have. Things get a little tougher in the next contest where the matchups are going to be challenging. For starters, tough to beat the Gulls if you can’t do 50% on face offs. York overcame that disparity in their first meeting but not in the second. Decamp is good but can’t see him getting to 50% or better against Malamphey,(UMBC transfer)Goal tending is another category where I believe the Gulls have an advantage that’s critical, that along with the physicality of the Gull D will suppress a good Denison attack which is the key to their offense. The Denison D is average as are the mids overall, advantage Gulls at mid....Can Denison get to 12 goals? Don’t believe they can especially if the Gulls begin to play make it take it. It’s possible the Gulls maybe looking ahead but I think this game will be over early
Salisbury is stacked with talented players on all 3 sections of the field and is coached by a legend. So yes,
Denison will need to play its best game of the season to have a punchers chance on Wednesday. They are the underdog for good reason and as such face an uphill battle. So I'm sure most people navigating this site will share your feelings. However I think the 2 disciplines you specifally mention (FO and goaltending) where you feel SU has the clear edge are areas I think could be the surprise and if i'm right, could put Denison right in this battle. Decamp and his wing play, have really been playing very well since his return from injury. IF that unit can get to 50% and be disruptive enough to minimize fast breaks when he doesn't win the clamp, that will be key.... and doable. But more importantly I think just dismissing Reeves McKenney in goal tells me you haven't seen him play very much this year. In 10 OOC games (meaning the best teams they've faced) and playoff games this year he has hit high double digit saves in 9 of them and has a well above 50% save percentage in 9 as well. He's actually one of the strengths of the team so I wouldn't be so dismissive of him. The rest of your analysis we can dissect as well but I'll simply say the attack unit won't shy away from physical defending - the middies are senior heavy and will play determined lacrosse - and the young defense has really jelled as the season has progressed and will be ready to compete!

Lastly, consider that many of the key contributors/leaders of this version of the Big Red have played Salisbury in Salisbury a couple times already in the NCAAs and that will insure they won't be star struck by the opponent or the venue and they'll fully know what kind of effort it will take to leave with a victory. If Denison can play their best lacrosse for 4 full quarters and O.T. , hit 50% on FOs and McKenney plays to his capabilities, DU could just do this. Yeah I can hear the haters now, "and if pigs could fly Ned" .... but regardless of all the doubters, I'll be on the Eastern Shore Wednesday rockin' the Big Red's colors and rooting the boys on to what i predict will be a Big Red win in overtime! GO BIG RED!!!!
👍
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Salisbury in Salisbury, in the NCAAs is about as tall an order as there is in D3 lacrosse. Getting there again should help Caravana's recruiting. Wednesday, on the field, Denison will need to play its best lacrosse of the year for the entire game... and hope for a break or three. How different would the D3 tourney be if, like D1, the quarterfinals and semi's were also played at a neutral site?
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Booyah Fann;

From a player stand point probably a good idea but Which school would host it?

$$$$$

Spectators for a D 3 non final - families, a few girlfriends and maybe a several faithful fans. Watch how many Denison fans show up 7 pm Wednesday evening and there are many Denison families in Maryland.
Cnoll

Post by Cnoll »

Hoping for an afternoon game time instead of 7pm. That would ruin my dinner plans!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cnoll wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 am Hoping for an afternoon game time instead of 7pm. That would ruin my dinner plans!
Looks like 6:45; you'll have to pack some food into the venue at Salisbury. Keep the faith.
RoyRike

Post by RoyRike »

Denison is 3-22 all time against the Gulls. Tough team to beat especially this time of year. Getting to the elite 8 is good PR for Denison and makes marketing for their arch rival in the NCAC much more difficult. OWU lacrosse will be severely challenged next year with 2 key components from the offense over last several years finally graduating. It will be interesting to see who will step up and challenge OWU next season for being the #2 team in the conference.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”