NCAC 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
seacoaster

NCAC 2019

Post by seacoaster »

Ned? Oldtime? Fannolax? Did you make it across the border?
FannOLax

Re: NCAC 2019

Post by FannOLax »

I'm here. Hoping that all those you mention and a few others also join us; looking forward to their insights.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Just saw the news about Laxpower and the birth of FanLax.....we all have to support this new site and make it work!
BigRed73

Post by BigRed73 »

Have been a quiet observer of Laxpower’s forum, and a regular visitor to its NCAC discussions, for years. Ya’ll have been fantastic! Glad discussions about the NCAC will continue.
laxdudeguy43

Post by laxdudeguy43 »

Good to see everyone has made the transition. Any fallball updates in the NCAC? Denison and OWU front runners as usual for 2019, but will the middle finally make the jump? Depauw showed promise last season making the NCAC playoff for the first time, Oberlin has fallen off a bit since 2016, and Wooster brings in another large recruiting class after graduating two North South senior all stars. Kenyon and Witt looking to remain competitive as well. Going to be a great year in the NCAC!
takeaway

Post by takeaway »

Probably won't hear anything for a while. Most just getting back and classes just starting. On the DU front I've heard from a couple different sources that they picked up a couple of local OSU commits that changed their mind and should be in the mix right away.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

So let's get this started for 2019 season....no one will argue that Denison followed by OWU are the two clear favorites, based on history and who's coming back.

Denison only had four seniors graduate and three were very important to the defense (POY Dohoski, George, Burman). Happ was a two-way middie that had 19 points but that will easily be made up. The Big Red return their top five scorers, their goalies, their LSMs and a top-notch face-off man. Even with no freshman or transfers coming in, the Red would be formidable.

Only two Bishop teams in the last decade were able to match the Big Red in talent (2015 and 2018) and OWU will surely miss the ten seniors that walked off into the sunset. Seven Bishops made All-America teams and only two of them are coming back -- attackmen Hildebrand and Tennant. The five that are gone were huge in OWU's success - two-way middie Leyden, POY Hamblett and Schulte (best SSDM duo in D3), Carroll on defense and Rigger in the nets. Me thinks the Bishops will have a far greater task replacing all those great players along with a fine LSM and defender (J. Smith and Marcotte). OWU does have another solid returning attackman in Jeschke and O-middies in Jamieson and L. Smith. I don't have a handle on any incoming first years or transfers.

Kenyon and DePauw (big surprise) rounded out the conference tournament last year, as Wittenberg and Wooster dropped off, despite having some solid talent on their squads.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

oldtimelax wrote:So let's get this started for 2019 season....no one will argue that Denison followed by OWU are the two clear favorites, based on history and who's coming back.

Denison only had four seniors graduate and three were very important to the defense (POY Dohoski, George, Burman). Happ was a two-way middie that had 19 points but that will easily be made up. The Big Red return their top five scorers, their goalies, their LSMs and a top-notch face-off man. Even with no freshman or transfers coming in, the Red would be formidable...
Gotta agree with the basic premise about Denison returning a lot of key players and thus looking formidable. A question I'd have about the Big Red is how well they'll adapt to a shot clock: their preferred offensive style was patient and deliberate; when forced to play faster in order to come from behind (think Amherst game), DU looked less formidable. OWU returns its starting attack line and the second offensive middie line was all freshmen last season, so I'd say the Bishops will be strong on offense; but (as indicated in the post above) replacing Hamblett, Schulte and Rigger will be very difficult. Always tough in D3 to tell how transfers and freshmen might perform, and there could be a big surprise or three. Would love to see another school step up to challenge Denison and OWU, but I'll believe it when I see it.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Denison also has Decamp (spelling) back at FO for his senior year as well, and that always bodes well for them. I'd like to hear a little something about freshman classes at Denison and OWU. Anyone?
laxdudeguy43

Post by laxdudeguy43 »

The shot clock rule wont change OWU's style of play all that much, they consistently push the ball in transition with a strong core of dmids who can play offense too. But like we said, they are losing all of those mids to graduation, and are going to have to find some kids to get the ball on the ground and up the field to that attack group. That group of #37, #55, and #50 combined for 77 points, and probably another 50 if hockey assists were counted. OWU i think overall will have an easier time adjusting to the quicker game, but a much harder time finding suitable replacements for those three.

Denisons methodical approach to offense will be no longer, they are going to have to spin it once then get it going. They beat teams with their ball movement and by getting D's rotating, as long as opposing defenses can keep their composure for 60 seconds they should be able to give denison a good fight. They are also graduating a group of kids who did all the work between the lines, which is what its going to take to get it done in the shot clock era. #3 and #8 took almost every wing on faceoffs, but also got the ball on the ground while playing D and pushed it fast going the other way. #3 had more GB's than their starting LSM and, #8 wasnt too far behind either. #6 was also a player who wasnt afraid to get it to the other end of the field but was also rock solid on D, filling that hole will not be easy for Denison. Their goaltender situation was also not the best last year as they spent the first half of the season flip flopping between the two, willing to bet that spot is still up for grabs.

Denison and OWU are both going to have to fill those glue positions as the light will shine much brighter now on the kid who can play defense and isnt afraid to get it going on offense either. Growing pains are bound to happen for all teams this season, maybe that will be the catalyst for a change in the standings this spring. Would love to see a few in conference Denison/OWU upsets to bring some attention to the up and coming teams throughout the NCAC.
Last edited by laxdudeguy43 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cornfed44

Post by cornfed44 »

Fallball has begun, and so has the NCAC 2019 season. Have been a quiet listener for years and thought I'd chime in finally. Anyone heard any info about fall scrimmage schedules as of yet? Denison usually schedules Michigan. Wooster, Witt and Hiram usually play in the Crosse out Cancer event that expanded and was moved to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Excited for another year of NCAC lacrosse!
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Here's the link for Crosse Out Cancer Tournament on Sunday 10/7 in Canton, OH....from the NCAC there's OWU, Kenyon, Hiram and Wooster. Schedules of games has not been set.

https://www.brlax.net/crosse-out-cancer/
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

oldtimelax wrote:Here's the link for Crosse Out Cancer Tournament on Sunday 10/7 in Canton, OH....from the NCAC there's OWU, Kenyon, Hiram and Wooster. Schedules of games has not been set.

https://www.brlax.net/crosse-out-cancer/
Good ol' Hiram... Nice find, Oldtimelax. I'd say it's pretty clear that OWU is easily the best D3 team there; hopefully the Bishops will get to scrimmage against one of the D2 teams (Lake Erie, Mercyhurst and Seton Hill are all quite respectable in D2) and/or the lone D1 school there, Saint Bonaventure (new program whose first season will be 2019).
BigRed73

Post by BigRed73 »

Anyone know how Denison did in its scrimmage vs. Ohio State this past weekend?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Found this:

https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/videos ... 00718-full

I am assuming Pitroff is doing some semester abroad.
Last edited by seacoaster on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Thanks for the link, seacoast. Caravana has his men ready for the season to start.

Did Ned move to this board?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

No sign of Ned; and I think we'd all know if Ned was here.
BigRed73

Post by BigRed73 »

Thanks for the link, Seacoaster. Hard to tell who was who, since the Big Red’s practice jersey numbers don’t match their game jersey numbers. Looked like the new D needs more work after the loss of several to graduation but the O was ok.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Yeah, I thought you saw Armstrong, Waxter, Davey and Butler -- returning seniors -- on O without Pittroff, who is away for junior semester abroad. And McKenney (sic?) the keeper looked good. Decamp had his hands full with the OSU face-off crew. By and large, I thought they looked pretty good.

Anyone know how the next scrimmage against Capital went?

Oh, found this:

https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/videos ... -denisonvs
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

BigRed73 wrote:Looked like the new D needs more work after the loss of several to graduation but the O was ok.
Sure, the D needs more work, as you say graduation has really hit the D, while fall ball isn't typically a "finished product." Good day for the Big Red, assuming they avoided injury. And yes, it made me recall my childhood when I saw Denison thrash OSU in Granville.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”