Wesley
2%
York (Pa.)
22%

Total votes: 81

thatsmell

CAC 2019

Post by thatsmell »

So in what could be a league facing a lot of changes in 2020 and beyond, I expect a highly competitive year in the CAC -
SU, York and CNU should all be tough.
FSU with a new coach and in their last year of CAC play before going D2.
UMW and SMC looking to get back to the top of the pack
SOVa looking to keep the momentum growing.
How will this year play out?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
MrLax2U

Re: CAC 2019

Post by MrLax2U »

Greetings Smell.
Good to see you on this new board. SU, CNU and YCP could conceivably run the table on their opponents and lose only among each other. Close to what happened in 2018.
It would be nice to see a fourth program make that step up but not sure the Committee would give CAC three Pool C teams.
dms87

Post by dms87 »

The grapevine is telling me several excellent recruits that were headed to Frostburg bailed late in the game to head elsewhere. My intel was this was more about the coach leaving than the move to D2. I think the 4th spot is wide open.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Saw St. Mary's this weekend at a playday with Messiah and Harford CC.
Seahawks looked pretty good for what it was worth.
Special teams- riding, clearing EMO, MDD looked good, despite it just being the fall.
They also have some new faces that should contribute right away.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

3 new Commits, all VA HSers, to Mary Washington:
Colton Buzzard D Battlefield (Va)
Trevor LeClair A Stonewall Jackson (Va)
Colin Mahoney D Stonewall Jackson (Va)
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

http://www.lacrossebucketblog.com/2018/ ... 9.html?m=1

Good read. Touches on Salisbury, York, and CNU (plus Stevenson & Wesleyan).
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
CapitanFan

Post by CapitanFan »

This should be CAC 2020 and beyond......! Heard in casual conversation that Southern Virginia U will be joining ODAC next year. This topic was discussed shortly after Wesley and Mount Saint Mary's left CAC beginning 18-19. With Frostburg moving down to DIV 2 this leaves CAC with 5 (Salisbury, York, CNU, Mary Washington, St. Mary's). I seriously do not know D3 politics and athletic conference gamesmanship, but am surprised at the intensity at which it obviously exists.
Will this be the nail in the coffin for CAC or is it an opportunity for others to join? If the former, where are the likely conferences the remaining CAC members will seek? The remaining programs are pretty strong in all sports across the board and seemingly would be sought by someone. Smell, you know alot of behind the scenes moves, what do you think?
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Greetings CaptainFan,
SU, YCP and SVU play football in the NJAC. Travel wise ODAC makes sense for SVU. But the BIG LAX 4 in ODAC can't be happy at the prospect. SOS.

Today I see SU, YCP and CNU as perpetual NCAA LAX invites. MWU knocking on the door. St. Mary's has everything in place and has beaten the Gulls but just can't seem to put it all together consistently. Not sure why.

For CAC lax the obvious addition is Montclair State or another NJ school.

Absent that Group B or C.
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

CapitanFan wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:03 pm This should be CAC 2020 and beyond......! Heard in casual conversation that Southern Virginia U will be joining ODAC next year. This topic was discussed shortly after Wesley and Mount Saint Mary's left CAC beginning 18-19.
The ODAC only selected SVU Football. I doubt very seriously that they will be admitted as full members of the ODAC, given the size of ODAC membership and the fact that they added Ferrum at the beginning of last year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

2019 CAC Men's Lacrosse Preseason Poll
1. Salisbury - 35 (5 first place votes)
2. York - 32 (2 first place votes)
3. Christopher Newport - 26
4. Frostburg State - 16
5. Mary Washington - 15
6. Southern Virginia - 14
7. St. Mary's – 9
CapitanFan

Post by CapitanFan »

Watched CNU-Lynchburg scrimmage in Charlottesville. Lynchburg looked really good in all facets of the game. Final scoreboard 14-10 Hornets. Very good ball movement and patience by LU to set up shots. Defensively they disrupted CNU inside passing game well. Face-offs heavily in favor of LU as CNU looked for interim FO solution. LU fairly consistent throughout contest, while CNU mixed periods of defensive, offensive , and transitional aptitude with schematic breakdowns. Shot clock impacted the Captains more than the Hornets, but main reason was LU defense which was very aggressive in challenging on the perimeter. CNU did manage to cycle in pretty much the entire sideline and this led to some obvious lack of synchronicity. The good news is this was a scrimmage. The Captains will take away many more lessons from this scrimmage than the one last week when they spanked RMC. Always good to have a reality check prior to the opener with 12 days to prepare. The Captains have a great deal of talent and have a speedier team than last year. I am sure Coach Thompson and staff will have the men ready for W&L.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Watched SU/Berry and it was a slow start for both the teams. Lots of ugly early-season turnovers. But don't take anything away from Berry who played hard and well. Gulls looked better against Lynchburg, who I actually think is down this year. But the Gulls got the win, which is all that matters at this point in the season. It may not be the popular opinion on the CAC board, but I think the Gulls will need the full "Berkman Effect" this year to make a run. The cupboard looks a tad more bare than normal talent-wise. But sometimes the teams that practice well and gel can do great things. I'm not privy to what this team is really like. It's tough to judge the Gulls when their standard is winning championships, not just getting there.

Watched York/W&L online. It was a good game. Very impressed with York's depth and how the Spartans remained composed throughout the tight game and got the win. There was no noticeable drop off on any of their midfield lines. Their team speed between the lines was impressive too. I like what I'm seeing out of them this early in the season.

I went to the SMC/Dickinson game at US Lax and it was a good one. SMC played Dickinson even through 3 Qs. Dickinson went on a nice run the first few minutes to start the 4th Q. But SMC kept fighting back and never quit. Lots of good young talent on that team. I like what's building down on The River.

Haven't had a chance to see CNU, UMW or SoVa yet. But my early feeling is that the top spots probably belong to York and SU while the next 4 spots should be a real dogfight. Classic CAC!
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Okay Smell, sure as the sun rises in the east, you'll find one of us in Gull Nation to take the bait... If you take a look at who the Gulls have lost in the last two years alone, it's easy to question whether they have enough to make it back.

That being said... They're still fielding an awful lot of talent out there. Is anyone willing to put any money down that SU won't bring it home within the next 3 three years - making the incoming class from '18 the first to not win one under Birkman? Here are a few things that give them a chance:

1.) Pierre Armstrong (attack & second leading scorer from '18) will return for OW - Although, Griffin Moroney , is out for the year with an injury, Cross Ferrara is a player and the threesome of Melton, Armstrong and Ferrera got reps in Fall-ball - I anticipate a a substantial uptick in points from this unit vs. last year.
2.) Warren in goal is playing very well.
3.) The rope is proving to be a quality unit - K Murphy all healed up and hasn't missed a beat.
4.) As is usual with the the Midfield, there's some shuffling going on as the figure out who will make up the final rotation- This was one of the strengths from last year's team and barring This unit has size speed and you can bet they'll formidable come tournament time.
5.) It's hard dealing with the loss of Tucker & Nowesnik but Apgar is the real deal and I'd be surprised if he didn’t pick up a couple AA honors before it all said and done. Kness and Berkowitz both have experience and the unit hasn't given up double digit scoring yet .. There are also two freshman poles both 6'5"+ that can move very well w/ good sticks. They'll need to get comfortable with the team-play/slides, etc. but don't be surprised if you see one of them getting minutes early.

Salisbury dismisses a handful of AA's every year- Following the NC in '16 the Gulls would likely face big problems replacing offensive midi's along with the rope. Following the '17 it was the goalie and the attack (remind all the attack unit were all Sophomores and each ended up with about 60 points each) -
There's undoubtedly there’s plenty to work on and a lot folks will be eager to write us off with every bump in the road. This isn’t unfamiliar territory for this team and I’m sure the Gulls love the idea that any of their opponents may come in thinking “the cupboard looks a tad bare”…

GO GULLS!!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

US Lax magazine write up on Salisbury and York among others.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... oast-guard
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Big week for the CAC.
CNU with Ursinus Saturday
York with Lynchburg Saturday
Salisbury with OWU Sunday
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Okay, so this is a complete aside with little to do about playing the game of lacrosse. As someone with no dog in the hunt I was watching the CNU/Roanoke game last night and feel compelled to make these observations:

1) IMHO possibly the best (two) commentators of a lacrosse game in any division. Actually informative, fair with their color commentary, and not there to hear themselves talk.

2) Great music between quarters, and TO. Just saying.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Are the good commentators at CNU? The game with Ursinus looks very good on paper.
Salisbury should destroy OWU who lost a lot to graduation and has looked terrible so far.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I’m in complete agreement with ToastDunk on the CNU commentary. These guys are the beat I’ve heard, any division.
Wall Ball1

CNU streaming

Post by Wall Ball1 »

Andy McGregor CNU ‘13 alumni Goalie, does a great job behind the mic. Will Geise ‘17 did a good job stepping in as the color guy. Randy Foster ‘17 did the game before. I think Jake Myers used to be the sidekick, but it’s nice to hear from some of the other alum. Games look good on the soccer field while the new stadium is getting ready for construction.
Eman

Post by Eman »

CNU announcers are extremely knowledgeable about the players and the game. They do their homework and call a fair game. I learn something new each game!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”