ALL DECADE TEAMS

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ColonelFastBreak

Re: ALL DECADE TEAMS

Post by ColonelFastBreak »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:47 pm To that end I’d like to add Rooney (DU) to our discussion. POD on a highly ranked team.
Rooney would certainly be mentioned for a NCAC All-Decade team, thought it seems a stretch for the entire division. Excellent attackman, though. His 2017 season was incredible and coincided with what was arguably Denison's best season in recent memory.

I think the Denison guy I really overlooked was Ben Duhoski. 3-time AA (2x 2nd team & 1x HM). I was always most impressed with Teddy Sawyer when I watched Denison (which admittedly was almost exclusively in out of conference games) and don't think i thought to include Duhoski, but he should probably be mentioned with those guys on the All Decade defense given his accomplishments.

Rich Dupras from Stevens Tech may have been another to consider for the all decade team. He was 1st team AA midfielder in 2012 and a 3rd teamer in 2013. He was the best of a group of incredibly talented midfielders at Stevens Tech, alongside Philippi and Dorne.
richard

Post by richard »

Numbers are great. You can't argue with them and they do tell much of the story.
The best tandem of attack men I've seen in D3 was Dailey, Kazmir and Ford. They complimented one another on the field like no other group, they were individually all very good and the coach did a great job utilizing each ones talent and it seemed as though they did not , for the most part, get in the way of one anothers putting up very good numbers. ( This is not to say that they were looking to only put up numbers, they were definitely wanting only to win games no matter what numbers they put up.)
The question this leads to is, were their numbers affected up or down by being part of an elite group.
I look at Curriers numbers and it seems pretty obvious that he was asked to carry much of the load for VWC. So his ppg is considerably higher than the others. I also think about Healey at SLU and were his numbers affected by being on an attack with Dow and Vautour who were also very good?

Looking at the middies and specialty middies one that I think has been missed and it is probably a numbers and All America issue is Peter Green from Stevenson. He had two years as a short stick d middie and his senior year he was given the green light to be more involved on offense. He was really very good and as I said back then, give me ten of him and I will beat you.

Another issue for all players at all positions and how good they were vs could have been is size.
Cannon at Dickinson was really good. It was obvious the first time I saw him play as a freshman. I also thought that if he could put on another 10 - 15 lbs that he would be better than he already was. By his senior year he was the same size as when he was a freshman and I wonder what the numbers might have been if he had put on that freshman 15.
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Awesome! Don't know enough about many of the names to have an opinion, but love your passion and knowledge. Very cool.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

ColonelFastBreak wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:12 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:47 pm To that end I’d like to add Rooney (DU) to our discussion. POD on a highly ranked team.
Rooney would certainly be mentioned for a NCAC All-Decade team, thought it seems a stretch for the entire division. Excellent attackman, though. His 2017 season was incredible and coincided with what was arguably Denison's best season in recent memory.

I think the Denison guy I really overlooked was Ben Duhoski. 3-time AA (2x 2nd team & 1x HM). I was always most impressed with Teddy Sawyer when I watched Denison (which admittedly was almost exclusively in out of conference games) and don't think i thought to include Duhoski, but he should probably be mentioned with those guys on the All Decade defense given his accomplishments.
Glad to see the NCAC getting a little love. Admittedly it's really a 2 dog show (DU and OWU) here as far as AA recognition goes. There have been 62 AA's from the NCAC since 2010 (35 from Denison; 26 from OWU and 1 Wooster) and 41 of those have been recognized since 2015 - a nice growth rate for a conference located in the MidWest.

Aside from Duhosky and Rooney (who I think both merit All Division All Decade Team mention) there have been some excellent NCAC players that received national recognition that might not be on the broader D3 fans radar screen. Here are a few names that I want to throw out there for consideration/discussion..... don't expect much support for most but I think all those mentioned would undoubtedly make anyone's All NCAC All Decade Team.

3x AA
Luke Leyden- Mid OWU - 1 3rd team 2x HM
Jake Waxter- Mid Denison 3x HM

2x AA
Marcus Dietz - Att OWU 1 2nd team 1HM
Ryan McMahon - G OWU 1 2nd team 1HM
Austin Campbell - LSM Denison 1 2nd team 1HM
Peter Pittroff - Att Denison 1 2nd team 1HM
Kyle Foster - Mid OWU 1 3rd team 1 HM
Blair Farinholt - Mid Denison 2 HM * a leader of the 2016 team that took Salisbury to overtime in the tournament.

There are others 2x AA like Nick Farrell; Eric Baumgartner; Tanner Smith and a couple of 1x AA that were tremendous players like Peter Hamblett of OWU (1st team - SSDM POY in 2018) and James Meager of Denison (3rd Team 2016 - that was under recognized IMHO).... that were tremendous college lacrosse players.
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:41 pm
Gullible wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:59 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:39 pm Uhm, how about amazing posts, fantastic effort that went into it, I want to quibble with one small thing. He also didn’t leave Melton of, he left him off, if you are going to come at that ridiculous effort in 5 lines try to proof read what you write.
So, where was your righteous indignation when the Colonel was cherry picking statistics to devalue Melton's contribution to his team preceding the AA selections ? His blatant omission of Melton's name from anywhere on his AA list was almost comical. When you read how he decided to describe Melton's contribution and value to his team, it wasn't hard to tell he had an agenda.

In response to your, "5 Line" comment, I'm not going to write some dissertation to argue my case because, at some level, I'd be forced to do what I'm criticizing the Colonel for doing . I'm not interested in degrading the legacy of any player. Frankly, the statistics, facts and now this year's selections speak for themselves...
ColonelFastBreak wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:44 pm It is a similar line of thought for Melton in the CAC. He had a perfectly good sophomore year in 2018 and then an excellent junior year. I felt like you had to have more than one big year to make an All Decade team. Just a personal choice. If you wanted to make the criteria "best players who played one season within the decade" then it is a different exercise and there are many, many more candidates.
I have no horse in this race but I am a Salisbury fan. I really have no idea whether Melton should even be on the list or not but I can tell you Luke Dick should not be listed in front of Melton - Please tell us the "two" years when Luke Dick was better than Melton -
You have no horse in the race?? You are bareback riding the horse. You sound like you are not just a Salisbury fan but may be Melton’s father. Out of an enormous effort and with obviously enormous knowledge reflecting back over dozens and dozens of teams over a decade it’s not hard to tell he had an agenda for leaving off one specific player who only had one great year? My friend, it is extraordinarily clear that YOU have an agenda. Make your own team, all Salisbury players, Melton at attack, mid and D, that will be more forthright.
Not his father lol- This isn't about any Salisbury player making an All Decade Team. You can ignore what I'm saying all you want. but it's really all about the Colonel's portrayal of multiple SU players just prior to the AA selections- Look, if your facts are incorrect or you mislead with statistics, I'll call you out. I'll tell you what though, you are correct about a couple things - 1st - the spelling of the word "off" - 2nd - I do have an agenda... And that's to serve up the Colonel a heaping plate of crow- I'll be happy to take your response on the AA thread... or your can go jump of a cliff...
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

If the selection were based on one season, I'd have to include Austin Stewart of Lynchburg for his 2015 season: scored over 100 goals (all-time record for any college division), 1st Team All American, led Lynchburg to the championship game, beating Salisbury twice... but that was by far his best year, and if this selection is based on three- or four-year career, he'd probably not make it.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:21 am If the selection were based on one season, I'd have to include Austin Stewart of Lynchburg for his 2015 season: scored over 100 goals (all-time record for any college division), 1st Team All American, led Lynchburg to the championship game, beating Salisbury twice... but that was by far his best year, and if this selection is based on three- or four-year career, he'd probably not make it.
I was wondering about that record when I saw Luc Swedlund pot his 100th goal in Stockton’s loss to York in the 2nd round of the tourney this year. I knew it had to be close, but I didn’t know who held it. Thanks for throwing that out there.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
wheelnd3al

Post by wheelnd3al »

ColonelFastBreak wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:14 pm ODAC

A - Witherell (W&L ’19)
A - Currier (Virginia Wesleyan ’16)
A - Stewart (Lynchburg ’16)
A - Keating (Roanoke ’12)

HM - Hoff (Lynchburg ’12), Lombardo (Lynchburg ’19), Murphy (Lynchburg ’16)

M - Tuma (Roanoke ’12)
M - Stucker (Roanoke ’18)
M - Rogers (Lynchburg ’20)
M - Hamill (W&L ’20)

HM -Armstrong (Hamden-Sydney ’15), Jackson (Roanoke ’16), Brown (Hamden-Sydney ’17), Curran (Lynchburg ’13)

SSDM - Hower (Lynchburg ‘15)

HM - Riehl (W&L ’16)

FO - Hodgson (W&L ’19)

HM - Mitchell (W&L ’14), Distler (Lynchburg ’16)

D - Lisicky (Lynchburg ’12)
D - LaSala (W&L ’13)
D - Armstrong (W&L ’16)
D - Curry (Roanoke ’18)

HM - Meadows (Lynchburg ’19), Love (Roanoke ’10), Gifford (W&L ’18), Gill (Lynchburg ’14), Lombardo (lynchburg ’15)

LSM - McDonald (Lynchburg ’19)

HM - Gerrie (Roanoke ’13), Simmons (Roanoke ’10)

G - Davies (Roanoke ’19)

HM - Pease (Roanoke ’14), Cook (Lynchburg ’12)

POD - Currier (Virginia Wesleyan ’16)
COD - Koudelka (Lynchburg)
TOD - Lynchburg (4 ODAC Championships, 9 ODAC Finals, 8 NCAA tournament Appearances, 1 NCAA Runner-up)
Thanks for putting this together - fantastic job. Obviously a lot of these spots can be debated from all angles, but I have to at least express my opinion that Eric Lombardo should swap places with Conn Curry. He came to Lynchburg as a 2 year starter for Hobart, and Coach Koudelka built a defense around him. Very talented cover guy and communicator. I think his impact is best illustrated by the level of Lynchburg's play in 2015 vs 2016. Obviously Hower was a detrimental loss at SSDM considering he could shut down most top midfielders better than most LSMs in D3, but Lombardo was the core for the Hornets down low...just ask Chris Hawley. Don't get me wrong, Conn had a great career at Roanoke and definitely deserves mention in the HM realm for this exercise, but with Lombardo as the primary defensive piece on a National Runner Up roster, I don't think the HM designation does Eric justice.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

FannOLax » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 am
If the selection were based on one season, I'd have to include Austin Stewart of Lynchburg for his 2015 season: scored over 100 goals (all-time record for any college division), 1st Team All American, led Lynchburg to the championship game, beating Salisbury twice... but that was by far his best year, and if this selection is based on three- or four-year career, he'd probably not make it.
Agree with Fann. Stewart's 109 goals in 2015 was a remarkable feat. His career (2013-16) totals were 262 goals and 38 assists for 300 points. If LYN had won the NC in 2015 on the back of 6/7 Stewart goals, his case for ALL DIII would be a lot stronger.

The Colonel did a great job with his lists and I agree with all his selections making two tweaks.

First, based on my totals listed on page 1 of this thread I would move Cannone to first team ALL D III Attack.
As points of reference Coffman had 451 points in 62 games; Uppgren had 418 points in 90 games; Cannone had 369 points in 87 games; Hessler had 321 points in 75 games; Lee had 372 points in 86 games; Currier had 353 points in 65 games; Dailey had 325 points in 77 games; Bailey had 312 points in 88 games.
Second, John Uppgren was the best D III attackman in the decade and were he D I, I believe would have been a Tewy candidate. Sam Bradman was the equivalent as an offensive midfielder. He scored 201 goals and 103 assists for 304 points; third on the Gull All TIME POINT List behind Coffman (451) and Cannone (369), both attack. I would make POD Uppgren/Bradman.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”