W&L vs Hampden Sydney 3/23

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L vs Hampden Sydney 3/23

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Hampden Sydney played CNU close but believe HSC is down a notch this season.... Like to see W&L play their top two mid lines all day. Hopefully if there is a cushion in the 4th play the next several groups. Keep Mize, Weaver, AJ together thru 3 qtrs as well. Let’s get some chemistry with a shortened bench and put the pedal to the metal. If this is going to be a race between Lynchburg and W&L it would be nice to see what the Gennies can do with their best. HSC will be a tough out. Just like Mize might there be another gem in that freshman class that could be impactful, any true 2 way mids who could improve the Gennies transition game
Big Easy Lax

Re: W&L vs Hampden Sydney 3/23

Post by Big Easy Lax »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:51 pm Hampden Sydney played CNU close but believe HSC is down a notch this season.... Like to see W&L play their top two mid lines all day. Hopefully if there is a cushion in the 4th play the next several groups. Keep Mize, Weaver, AJ together thru 3 qtrs as well. Let’s get some chemistry with a shortened bench and put the pedal to the metal. If this is going to be a race between Lynchburg and W&L it would be nice to see what the Gennies can do with their best. HSC will be a tough out. Just like Mize might there be another gem in that freshman class that could be impactful, any true 2 way mids who could improve the Gennies transition game
HSC is loaded w freshman and sophomores so of course they are down a notch (or two). Their top 4 defenders include 2 freshmen, a sophomore and a senior, their attack line is 2 sophs and a senior, top 2 middie lines include 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 2 freshman, top D mids are freshmen, top 3 fogos are a soph and 2 freshman and the goalies are a junior and a sophomore so ... While they may not be at the level of LBurg and W & L this year, they are slowly figuring things out and playing better as a team each week. Will be a good barometer for each team.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Big Easy Lax wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:54 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:51 pm Hampden Sydney played CNU close but believe HSC is down a notch this season.... Like to see W&L play their top two mid lines all day. Hopefully if there is a cushion in the 4th play the next several groups. Keep Mize, Weaver, AJ together thru 3 qtrs as well. Let’s get some chemistry with a shortened bench and put the pedal to the metal. If this is going to be a race between Lynchburg and W&L it would be nice to see what the Gennies can do with their best. HSC will be a tough out. Just like Mize might there be another gem in that freshman class that could be impactful, any true 2 way mids who could improve the Gennies transition game
HSC is loaded w freshman and sophomores so of course they are down a notch (or two). Their top 4 defenders include 2 freshmen, a sophomore and a senior, their attack line is 2 sophs and a senior, top 2 middie lines include 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 2 freshman, top D mids are freshmen, top 3 fogos are a soph and 2 freshman and the goalies are a junior and a sophomore so ... While they may not be at the level of LBurg and W & L this year, they are slowly figuring things out and playing better as a team each week. Will be a good barometer for each team.
Unless he changed to offensive middie and I just haven't caught it yet (Saturday was the first game I could see where I could actually read the numbers on the jerseys), Garrett Patnesky is the Tigers' top defensive middie as a junior
groundballhog804

Post by groundballhog804 »

Excited to see some nitty-gritty ODAC action. Doesn't matter who is ranked higher because anything can happen in these type of rivalry games. Interested in seeing the level of conditioning for the Tigers, seems like the past couple of years they've had some starting players with a bit of a "paunch"... lol!
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

groundballhog804 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 pm Excited to see some nitty-gritty ODAC action. Doesn't matter who is ranked higher because anything can happen in these type of rivalry games. Interested in seeing the level of conditioning for the Tigers, seems like the past couple of years they've had some starting players with a bit of a "paunch"... lol!
Was good enough two years ago when they slaughtered the Generals on their home field 19-10 in the ODAC tournament en route to winning the ODAC Championship.
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

thescottharris wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 pm
Big Easy Lax wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:54 pm
Unless he changed to offensive middie and I just haven't caught it yet (Saturday was the first game I could see where I could actually read the numbers on the jerseys), Garrett Patnesky is the Tigers' top defensive middie as a junior
GP plays little to no D middie, is playing 2nd line O middie
d3commenter

Post by d3commenter »

thescottharris wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pm
groundballhog804 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 pm Excited to see some nitty-gritty ODAC action. Doesn't matter who is ranked higher because anything can happen in these type of rivalry games. Interested in seeing the level of conditioning for the Tigers, seems like the past couple of years they've had some starting players with a bit of a "paunch"... lol!
Was good enough two years ago when they slaughtered the Generals on their home field 19-10 in the ODAC tournament en route to winning the ODAC Championship.
And virtually no one who contributed on that HSC team will be on the field Saturday. W&L has out scored Sydney 73-63 over the past 4 years going 5-2 and only scoring below double digits twice to HSC's 5 times. Take out the one performance where W&L saved the ball at 11%, and they've outscored them 63-44 going 5-1, 6 games in which HSC got to 10+ goals just once (in the regular season of 2015).

Bringing up the past probably isn't the best way to defend the Tigers. Should be a good one.
d3commenter

Post by d3commenter »

d3commenter wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am
And virtually no one who contributed on that HSC team will be on the field Saturday. W&L has out scored Sydney 73-63 over the past 4 years going 5-2 and only scoring below double digits twice to HSC's 5 times. Take out the one performance where W&L saved the ball at 11%, and they've outscored them 63-44 going 5-1, 6 games in which HSC got to 10+ goals just once (in the regular season of 2015).

Bringing up the past probably isn't the best way to defend the Tigers. Should be a good one.
Regular season of 2018*
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Scott, how goes the job hunt? That game was a great game for the Tigers, they were the superior team then. If W&L defense plays like its capabable, Generals should win but lately, that has not been the case.

valaxfan
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

valaxfan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm
Scott, how goes the job hunt? That game was a great game for the Tigers, they were the superior team then. If W&L defense plays like its capabable, Generals should win but lately, that has not been the case.

valaxfan
It's moving along. Have a lot of luck receiving overqualified or underqualified rejections :lol:
Lax804

Post by Lax804 »

First, post-just found out about this thread. I'm excited for this weekends to match up.

AJ Witherall has been a dominant player in the ODAC and has been trouble for the Tigers. Without Kent Henry, it is going to be interesting who is going to get the matchup for the Tigers. Another interesting piece to the Gennies offense is the all lefty line up. The Gennies have played well against good teams and have had a lot of very close losses (4 games by 6 goals total). However, what hasn’t been said is the fact that the Gennies are playing in the grass stadium. The Gennies, and other ODAC teams have all had trouble playing in the hostile environment in the past few years.

The Tigers have been facing a lot of doubt early in the season. They have played in some very close losses, but they are coming off some big games. At this point in the season, their offense seems to be productive. John Burke Jr., who has been quiet as of recent, should look to have a big game. Gennies should watch out for the quick, finishing attackman that has been on the same line with Burke. The Tigers need to rely on the depth of their young players to outrun the Gennies. Otherwise, the Gennies lethal offense will have a day.
Dehuntshigwa’es

HSC’s field and venue are terrific! Don’t believe HSC will get past 10 goals in which case the Generals should come out on top. Hodgson and Londrey will just give them too many possessions
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:39 am HSC’s field and venue are terrific! Don’t believe HSC will get past 10 goals in which case the Generals should come out on top. Hodgson and Londrey will just give them too many possessions
Jake Brummett went something like 13-25 against Hodgson last year.
Dehuntshigwa’es

The HSC guy is very good, I just think the Hodgson Londrey tandem will take over. He only won 3 to himself that day, Hodgson plus Londrey are about 70% last I looked. W&L needs a very solid game and effort , low turnover, high pct shooting , solid D. Need an efficient game in all aspects. Lynchburg is getting better by the week W&L needs to as well. Bugs with 4 losses by 7 goals,Salisbury 2, Wesleyan 1, York 1 Cabrini 3. Dangerous team. W&L I believe has the edge in goal and face offs but isn’t as efficient in clearing,unforced TO’s, and team defensive play, not necessarily individual play. Those 4 losses except Salisbury were close games and against legit top 7 teams . Plus they don’t quit
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Tigers struggling against W&L's ride.

So is the HSC stat keeper. Has H-SC 2-2 clearing when I just saw them throw away the ball on 2 straight clear attempts. :lol:
ODACLAX

Post by ODACLAX »

This was not the HSC team that won the ODAC. That team had many upperclassmen and was bigger, stronger and faster than W&L in the playoffs. W&L was the bigger, stronger and faster team today. Great ride all game by W&L and solid D giving up only 14 shots on goal. It wasn't as close as the score thanks to the HSC goalie who made some great saves.

I watched the whole game to make sure I got my money's worth. C'mon who charges to watch a lacrosse game anymore?
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

ODACLAX wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:07 pm This was not the HSC team that won the ODAC. That team had many upperclassmen and was bigger, stronger and faster than W&L in the playoffs. W&L was the bigger, stronger and faster team today. Great ride all game by W&L and solid D giving up only 14 shots on goal. It wasn't as close as the score thanks to the HSC goalie who made some great saves.

I watched the whole game to make sure I got my money's worth. C'mon who charges to watch a lacrosse game anymore?
It was free to watch. You only had to pay to upgrade to HD. Been that way for years at H-SC.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:45 pm
ODACLAX wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:07 pm This was not the HSC team that won the ODAC. That team had many upperclassmen and was bigger, stronger and faster than W&L in the playoffs. W&L was the bigger, stronger and faster team today. Great ride all game by W&L and solid D giving up only 14 shots on goal. It wasn't as close as the score thanks to the HSC goalie who made some great saves.

It was free to watch. You only had to pay to upgrade to HD. Been that way for years at H-SC.
Agree with Scott, its been like that for a while. Minkhoo made me laugh today, because we did elect to watch low def and not pay to upgrade, the Mink said, "The blue smears are playing better than the white smears". Generals played well today, but I still think some of the passing could be crisper.

valaxfan
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:11 pm
thescottharris wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Agree with Scott, its been like that for a while. Minkhoo made me laugh today, because we did elect to watch low def and not pay to upgrade, the Mink said, "The blue smears are playing better than the white smears". Generals played well today, but I still think some of the passing could be crisper.

valaxfan
Webcasting is an expensive operation these days.
Skullzrule

Post by Skullzrule »

Roystan just can’t get it done. The drop off with this recruiting classes is sad. This HSC team more closely resembles Randolph-Macon than a legit contender. If you want to compete than you have to recruit, and frankly I find the HSC sideline more interested in cake and doughnuts than winning.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”