CABRINI 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
mailsy

Re: CABRINI 2019

Post by mailsy »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 am Pretty powerful story.

Inside Lacrosse's publication is typically poor; but I miss say, this article was impressive.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rini/54618
Yes it is.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Agreed. I appreciate the young man and his father sharing their story. It's both a cautionary tale (that all our kids should read), and a story of comeback and triumph out of the depths (that all our kids should read). An amazing young man, to be sure. Go Cabrini!
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Tremendous and inspiring story. I'm a NESCAC guy, NESCAC parent, and I'll be rooting hard for Timmy Brooks this weekend, and in the future.
He's going to be a winner at everything in life. Such focus, determination and hard work. Thanks for posting the link.
Boomakegga

Post by Boomakegga »

Natty champs!!!!! Congratulations to all the seniors. Krug goes out with his name all over the top of the Cabrini record books. Vass is that west coast guy with an east coast mentality. An AA defender who spent his whole life trying to play offense until he found a pole. Morgan blossoms his senior year. Leyden and Brooks get healthy in May. Wagner is such a work horse. Finally gets his goal on grass in the Linc. Never saw a guy work harder than white to get better everyday. Delaney is probably on his third job by now. I bet a few of the guys with eligibility left might figure out how to get a masters after this weekend. So happy for these guys. Never felt like anyone thought they could do it but they never listened to them.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Congratulations to Cabrini!

Congratulations to your entire senior class, including Timmy Brooks. Someone should get Michael Doneger to write a Hollywood script about Brooks and this very special team!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Natty champs!!!!! Congratulations to all the seniors. Krug goes out with his name all over the top of the Cabrini record books. Vass is that west coast guy with an east coast mentality. An AA defender who spent his whole life trying to play offense until he found a pole. Morgan blossoms his senior year. Leyden and Brooks get healthy in May. Wagner is such a work horse. Finally gets his goal on grass in the Linc. Never saw a guy work harder than white to get better everyday. Delaney is probably on his third job by now. I bet a few of the guys with eligibility left might figure out how to get a masters after this weekend. So happy for these guys. Never felt like anyone thought they could do it but they never listened to them.
I was also impressed with their goalie Riley White another senior.
dms87

Post by dms87 »

Those that know the program understand the talent that has been there. Finally in the big moments they played to their capabilities. They played their game to perfection and it was wonderful. From the 2nd half of the York game forward they had a spirit and belief that becomes hard to define and create. The mental game matched the physical and spiritual. It was fantastic to watch. Coach Colfer was eloquent in the post game news conference. Congrats to him, all the current and previous coaches and the enormous Cabrini lacrosse family.
youngred

Post by youngred »

The Cavs' were clearly the more physical team and it really didn't seem like Amherst was comfortable with that. Truth is that Wolf was a complete non-factor, his two goals were slam dunks right on the crease, he never showed any ability or desire to dodge and that might have been because of Cabrini's physicality. Who knows... I wanted to see what all the fuss was about but there was really nothing to see on Sunday. What I thought really changed the game came after halftime, and you have to give enormous credit to Colfer (can't believe I said that) and his staff -- they obviously thought that Amherst's keeper was vulnerable low. In the second half the Cavs let loose with shots from everywhere that they hadn't been taking in the first half at all, Brooks in particular, almost all of which were bounce shots or below his knees. A lot of them were off the cage but it really seemed to unsettle him and he barely made a save after halftime.

This was a day that Cabrini and Colfer deserved, a long time coming... Way to go Cavs -- DelCo AF!
Boomakegga

Post by Boomakegga »

Red,

Couldn’t agree with you more. If you watched the tape, tell me who the POY was, no one would pick 32 on Amherst. If it works in NESCAC to run through three people like Morgan did for the early goal, no wonder they get a ton of points. Morgan’s an off ball guy. I thought they had some impressive shooters on the run and had scouted the Cabrini punt return clear well. Maybe 32 got one too many head butts riding Cressman.

Have to also consider Klein went down early and he is their assist guy. So Huge advantage to Amherst that Cabrini played most of the game with an offense that hadn’t practiced as a unit together (ever), since Brooks hasn’t practiced 6v6 since February. Doesn’t say much about Amherst D.

Tucker didn’t even get AA and I would say he didn’t do much more than I normally see him do.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Watched a replay of game last night, the NESCAC must be a run and gun league. There defense looked off. I think it was Cabrini's first goal, a player from the box goes straight in uncovered all the way to the crease. It looked like their plan was to deny and double 55 if he had the ball and not focus on the rest of team. Guessing their goalie wasn't on Sunday.

Also kind of interesting that the national champions don't have any First Team AAs.
D-III

Post by D-III »

palaxoff wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:11 am Watched a replay of game last night, the NESCAC must be a run and gun league. There defense looked off. I think it was Cabrini's first goal, a player from the box goes straight in uncovered all the way to the crease. It looked like their plan was to deny and double 55 if he had the ball and not focus on the rest of team. Guessing their goalie wasn't on Sunday.

Also kind of interesting that the national champions don't have any First Team AAs.
There were definitely some breakdowns, but the game wasn't lost because of Amherst's defense. Cabrini's scorers were obviously dialed in. Remember they dropped 16 on the road at Salisbury (who gave up 7 goals a game) before they scored 16 against Amherst (who gave up 10+ goals a game) on a "neutral" field.

Game was primarily lost because Amherst didn't show up on the wings, Cabrini was the tougher team the entire second half. And Amherst really struggled to dictate things at X (a testament to Cabrini's D) where they typically dominate. Also, good point above by red about the shots that missed by Cabrini still creating issues for Amherst keeper. If you watch the first 1.5 quarters again, it looked like Amherst was going to run away with it. Cabrini made some adjustments, worked harder and Amherst didn't.

Wesleyan didn't have any 1st Teamers last year either, or 2nd Teamers for that matter.
ColonelFastBreak

Post by ColonelFastBreak »

Boomakegga wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:36 pm Couldn’t agree with you more. If you watched the tape, tell me who the POY was, no one would pick 32 on Amherst.
This has been a funny thing I noticed during the year with Amherst. For extended periods of time in some games, they were willing to put the ball in Minicus' stick (#7) and let him initiate when it was the attack starting their offense, rather than giving it to Wolf. This always struck me as a game-to-game match-up specific decision, though I do not know that for sure. Minicus is a great player, but, at this juncture, he is not as careful with the ball as Wolf (note his 5 extra turnovers in two fewer games). He also tended to be a bit more boom or bust than his running mate (those are relative terms as these are both AA level attackmen and a "bust" is "only" scoring two or three points in game when you average 4.5), leading to a 6g/0a/0to performance vs Williams in the regular season, followed by a 1g/2a/2to performance in the NESCAC tournament and then a 3g/2a/2to performance in the NCAA. Similar story against Tufts as he scored 2g/3a/1to in the regular season, but 0g/2a/2to in the NCAA tournament. Much of the credit goes to Cabrini, but Minicus' national championship game performance was more bust than boom as he finished with 1g/0a/3to.

Wolf is excellent off the ball, something he showed during the national Championship game on the backdoor feed he converted from Amherst's #31 and on a pair of 1st half looks that were spectacularly denied by the Cabrini goaltender as well as on a would-have-been goal taken away by a toe in the crease by Minicus (correctly called, i might add). That said, Amherst could have considered running more of their offense through him and less of it through Minicus. One thing I always hoped those two would develop (though they never did to a particularly effective degree) was a two man game. Wolf's ability to do anything Amherst asked of him and excel at it is what made him the POY. Looking back it is easy to question due to the final score, but perhaps Coach Thompson should have opted to put the ball in Wolf's stick more in the last game of the year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”