Game Talk; Washington & Lee vs Gettysburg

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Game Talk; Washington & Lee vs Gettysburg

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Big game for both these teams that have had high aspirations for this season. Thus far lots of promise and not much delivery, both teams need a quality win to add to their resume. York handled the Bullets pretty easily and Gettysburg’s offense looked out of sync. Not a fan of comparative scores however, W&L had their own issues with F&M. Are there question marks in goal for the Bullets? I think a combination of Hodgson, Londrey,AJ and Taylor puts the Gennies over the top. Looking for a well played, low turnover, and shortened bench for the Gennies in this one....
Cheeseandcrackers

Re: Game Talk; Washington & Lee vs Gettysburg

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

A little luster is off this game considering both teams are pretty much eliminated from Pool C consideration. A win is always good though especially headed to conference play.
Dehuntshigwa’es

:roll:
Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:38 pm A little luster is off this game considering both teams are pretty much eliminated from Pool C consideration. A win is always good though especially headed to conference play.
:roll: Gettysburg is certainly not out with a loss to topped ranked Salisbury and I believe 6th York. A W&L loss could seal their fate. A W&L win is perhaps necessary unless they beat Roanoke and Lynchburg in the regular season but lost to Lynchburg in an ODAC final. Wouldn’t want to risk that scenario however. Gburg could win out and lose in a Centennial final a be a likely candidate. Lots of lacrosse to be played by a lot of teams bunched in together from 7-20 hunting for pool c’s. W&L was 0-3 to start last season. It was this game with little playing time that Taylor stepped into the breach and solidified the goal play saving 57%, Hodgson and Londrey were about 66% at the dot. Their play and A.J’s performance sealed the win and ran the string until the ODAC final so they were 14-4 going into the ncaa’s
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Agreed--if Gettysburg played in a weaker conference, two losses may have put them out of contention. But with the Centennial 29-15 so far, they will likely only have at most three games against teams with a sub .500 record the rest of the year--and one of those could be WAC! 7-1 in the CC with a loss in the championship game is a 14-4 record that should be right in the mix of the Pool C pack.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

While I don’t disagree with the above posts, the reality is that this game is almost an elimination game even this early in the season. I say that based simply on the numbers, both win/loss records as well as the number of teams that will be competing for those limited Pool C bids, and the fact that these two schools will be in competition with one another for one of those last remaining bids. A loss here would already be the fourth for W & L, or the third for Gettysburg. Although the loser of this game might not literally be eliminated at this point, it will face an extremely uphill battle the rest of the way and certainly wouldn’t be able to take on any more losses in an effort to secure a Pool C bid.
richard

Post by richard »

As much as I hate it, strength of schedule has a lot to do with the pool C bids. And many times it seems as though mediocre records vs strong competition is enough to get the pool Cs. I would say that both of these teams fit the parameters so far this season.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

richard wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 am As much as I hate it, strength of schedule has a lot to do with the pool C bids. And many times it seems as though mediocre records vs strong competition is enough to get the pool Cs. I would say that both of these teams fit the parameters so far this season.
Correct. There in lies some what of a problem that to a degree stifles / slows growing the game and it’s parity at the DIII level. A program that has a history of success (regardless of current talent) has a better opportunity at scheduling those valuable strong OOC games. It takes a equally talented, yet not as “storied” program many years of unacknowledged success to put together a schedule that warrants a pool C bid. Which becomes a necessity should they fall in a conference with a perennial powerhouse that draws much of the region’s talent.

However due to the explosive growth of the game at the high school level and below, great talent is available for more and more college teams each year. This is causing the DIII “old boys club” (so to speak) to be slowly dismantled in my opinion.
But I digress.

On this game, I personally view it as a must win for both (and I can only imagine that both coaches see it the same way).
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

The Bullets offense has been very stagnant and predictable at times. The D has great talent and seems to be messing nicely. They are starting a freshman goalie who looked a little shell shocked against the big boys (Salisbury/York), if he progresses the rest of the season they will be fine on that end of the field. So far the offense is the weak link, I am not sure they have the fire power to hang with the top teams but we will see. I have not seen to much of W&L this season, I know their schedule was difficult. I see this as a pick em game with the edge going to the Bullets since it is at home. I will be there.

Go Bullets!
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

The Generals have always had trouble with Gettysburg, but it is nice to see this old rivalry renewed. They cannot sleepwalk through the first quarter, as they have in too many games this year. Move the ball, do not wait for AJ to take the shot, and reduce turnovers.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Another 1 goal loss...😳
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Not exactly the results they hoped for. On to the ODAC.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

ctbagataway wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:47 pm Not exactly the results they hoped for. On to the ODAC.
Taylor only 5 saves, Gettysburg accuracy today was astounding.

valaxfan
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Very entertaining game until the refs took over. The Bullet's difficulty clearing really hurt them. I thought #5 for W&L was outstanding he controlled the faceoffs. Good Luck to the General's in the ODAC.
Go Bullets!
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

See my post above.

Too much standing around from the mid third quarter to the middle of the fourth. The defense did not seem to play with as much teamwork as it has in the past; many of GC second half goals were just one on one, beating the W&L defender, The winning goal was particularly discouraging--a middle with a strong right hand pushing right against a middie who was playing him straight up, rather than forcing him to go left. Seems to me that is a defensive awareness/coaching issue....

GC is better than they have played in some of their losses, but The Generals are probably a team properly ranked in the second ten.

Hope they can regroup for the ODAC, which looks a little down this year....
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Boys fought back hard in 4th but fell a bit short, too bad. The non timeout call by the ref with :50 left killed W&L. Would have had the ball, tie game and no shot clock, instead we are on D and give up the winner with :15.
Shot clock operator was a disaster. W&L lost 10 seconds off a penalty because they never started the shot clock and 10 seconds into the penalty the ref called to reset the Shot but not the penalty clock.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”