Limestone 2019

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Pitt12

Limestone 2019

Post by Pitt12 »

Wow... laxpower closes up after 20 years! Hopefully we can get many of the people from the Laxpower forum to start over here. Any word on Limestone 2019? Do they bounce back after a very disappointing 2018. I believeLarson Sundown will be playing at Attack fresh off a Minto Cup.
Laxwarrior

Re: Limestone 2019

Post by Laxwarrior »

It will be fun to watch Larson Sundown but offense really wasn't the problem last year. I think stone was in the top 4 scoring teams in D2. Faceoffs and Defense need shoring up.

correction: They were in the top 8 and # in the south.

RANK TEAM PER GAME
1 Seton Hill 16.42
2 Lake Erie 16.00
3 Rockhurst 15.88
4 Colorado Mesa 15.70
5 Merrimack 15.37
6 Lincoln Memorial 15.00
7 Lenoir-Rhyne 14.35
8 Limestone 14.16
9 Belmont Abbey 13.89
10 Tampa 13.75

Problem is they were #26 in scoring defense
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Faceoffs hurt badly as it kept offensive possession time to about as low as I have seen it (having watched their games for over 20 years). But I have to agree that the D was a pretty big problem...

But I think the biggest problem was leadership on the field - no one seemed to want to step up and pull the others up...

It will be interesting this year with two new assistant coaches. I want to see how they deal with personnel, and how they change both sides of the ball...
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

RedFromMI wrote:Faceoffs hurt badly as it kept offensive possession time to about as low as I have seen it (having watched their games for over 20 years). But I have to agree that the D was a pretty big problem...

But I think the biggest problem was leadership on the field - no one seemed to want to step up and pull the others up...

It will be interesting this year with two new assistant coaches. I want to see how they deal with personnel, and how they change both sides of the ball...
Not putting it all on Defense. There were lots of unforced offensive tournovers and several boneheaded 1 vs 3 every game.
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

Agree with Red, didn't see any leadership on the field last year. Faceoffs weren't great, even though they still did win 55% on the year they struggled against better FO guys and especially in their losses.

Look at the FO stats from their better competition games
Lenoir- Rhyne= Stone won 21-34 but lost the game 17-13
Tampa= crushed the saints in FO and that led to a 12-10 loss
Lynn= Stone won the game but got killed in face-offs.
Mercyhurst=Saints lose another game after getting killed in the faceoffs.
Lindenwood=Stone dominates the FO and won
Queens= Stone won 17 of 32 but still lost the game
BA regular season= only won 10 of 28 and lost
Seton Hill= only won 9 of 24 and lost
BA conference tourney=actually won 17-30 but still lost
Indy=lost the game and went only 8-25 on FO's.

To me they definitely struggled against better FO guys and that led to some losses, but they also lost games when they won the face-off battle. They won the FO battle against LR but gave up 17 goals, they won the FO battle againt Queens but gave up 15 goals. They wont the FO battle against BA in the conference championship game but gave up 15 goals. I think they had a real problem on defense last year in addition to FO not being great. In fact I don't think the defense was exceptional the last couple of years but they got hidden a little bit by Reisman and his dominance. Teams had the ball against Stone a lot more this year and were able to score a lot. Was it scheme, talent, coaching, confidence, leadership? I dont know.

We need to get stickhead here to give us his thoughts.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

where is Stickhead? Yes Limestone was due for a down year. There were some other off field factors that contributed to a rough 2017! Limestone should improve and be back in the mix in 2018.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

Pitt12 wrote:where is Stickhead? Yes Limestone was due for a down year. There were some other off field factors that contributed to a rough 2017! Limestone should improve and be back in the mix in 2018.
rough 2017? They were National Champions! (I realize you may have your years wrong)
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

Limestone's schedule is posted to website.

https://golimestonesaints.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax
stickhead

Post by stickhead »

Wth is this? I get approved 5 days later from an email with the communist sport soccer in it!!!! On a positive note Limestone Getting a big shout out on ESPN with Vincent Smith starting for the Houston Texans. Congrats kid your living the dream. Hope everyone’s well. Any word on how Stones looking?
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

stickhead wrote:Wth is this? I get approved 5 days later from an email with the communist sport soccer in it!!!! On a positive note Limestone Getting a big shout out on ESPN with Vincent Smith starting for the Houston Texans. Congrats kid your living the dream. Hope everyone’s well. Any word on how Stones looking?
where you been dude? Not even a drop and gobble text from you for Thanksgiving this year!!!

Hope the family is all good and you haven't added any new ones to the litter! :lol:
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

Heard there were 2 scrimmages for 2019

Saturday 1/19 1pm vs Mercer at Buford High School in Buford GA

Saturday 1/26 1pm vs Furman at Limestone
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

stickhead wrote:Wth is this? I get approved 5 days later from an email with the communist sport soccer in it!!!! On a positive note Limestone Getting a big shout out on ESPN with Vincent Smith starting for the Houston Texans. Congrats kid your living the dream. Hope everyone’s well. Any word on how Stones looking?
Happy New Year SH.
Looks like our main man, Nick Saputo, is doing well post grad.
Still in the SE PA area I understand.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

After posting a blistering 22-2 win over Tusculum last week behind Larson Sundown’s 7 goals, Stone seems to have returned to form with a 19-9 shellacking of LR. Four goals each for Clark Walter and Tyler Papa, with Bennett, Sundown and Burns with a pair each. Bennett had a four point day adding 2 assists.

Faceoffs were 19 of 30 with transfer Christopher Parrott (Harford C.C.) at 11 of 15, and Dakota Kirsch-Downs at 8 of 15. Danny Forren faced 20 shots on goal with 11 saves and 9 goals.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Watched a lot of the game on the LR feed...low quality! Limestone dominated. LR scored with a second left in the half to close to 8-6, but Limestone dominated the second half. Limestone looked like a different team compaired to 2018. We will see.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

This team has a different attitude than last year.

Next 2 weeks should tell us a lot about this team. Stone faces 3 top 10 teams back to back to back (Lenoir Rhyne, St Leo, Mercyhurst)

#restoretheorder
stickhead

Post by stickhead »

There back!!!! Lol Sorry everyone you know I’m a little slow when it comes to the upstairs department. Think I have Drainbrammage. Nice game for Stone against LR. I didn’t have a chance to watch the game. So no commentary. Hope everyone’s well. Starting to get my juices flowing with a pure domination of an old rival!!! After last year I’m sure there’s a huge chip on the players shoulders and with Storrier gone I’m sure the boys have plenty to eat now. :lol: Joking coach. Hope you and Kennedy are doing well.

I did notice no Mars Hill on the schedule. ;) But that being said I do see March 20th it’s Mars Hill vs Lincoln Memorial. Storrier vs Kennedy. Kennedy to a 2-0 start and Storrier 1-1 should be interesting. SAC getting stronger with two great coaches.
Littlebird2020

Post by Littlebird2020 »

Limestone looked great this weekend dominating Lenoir Rhyne. The saints look to be on a mission after last seasons hiccup.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

stickhead wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am There back!!!! Lol Sorry everyone you know I’m a little slow when it comes to the upstairs department. Think I have Drainbrammage. Nice game for Stone against LR. I didn’t have a chance to watch the game. So no commentary. Hope everyone’s well. Starting to get my juices flowing with a pure domination of an old rival!!! After last year I’m sure there’s a huge chip on the players shoulders and with Storrier gone I’m sure the boys have plenty to eat now. :lol: Joking coach. Hope you and Kennedy are doing well.

I did notice no Mars Hill on the schedule. ;) But that being said I do see March 20th it’s Mars Hill vs Lincoln Memorial. Storrier vs Kennedy. Kennedy to a 2-0 start and Storrier 1-1 should be interesting. SAC getting stronger with two great coaches.
Stick, I like coach Clarke's comment to inside Lacrosse for right now.

Following Limestone’s 19-9 win against Lenoir-Rhyne on Saturday, JB Clarke’s message to the team was this: “We’re not back, but we’re getting closer.”

“We’ve got to be happy about it. We won a big game early,” he said.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oser/53731
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Maybe a little more close with a win 18-7 over Saint Leo in Savannah, GA.

Score by quarters:

Stone 3 5 6 4 18
Leo 4 0 2 1 7

Big 3 goal spurt for Leo in first quarter in two minutes time to go up 3-1, but once Stone got the lead they never looked back. Brian Huyghue with a hat trick in the second period, and Stone doubled up Leo at the half 8-4.

Some other stats: Shots 52-30 Stone, SOG 35-19 Stone, saves Stone 12, Leo 17. 100% clears for each team, turnovers 15-12 Stone with more, and GBs 36-18 Stone. Saints 22 of 29 on the faceoff (Parrott 13-17 and Kirsch-Downs 9-12), and Lions had one man up goal, Saints 2.

Huyghue had 4 goals, and Larson Sundown a hat trick. Pair of goals for Papa, Walter, Hommel for the Saints, and Kurtenback, Hrycan for Leo.
stickhead

Post by stickhead »

There back!!!!!!

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”