Preview of South Quarterfinal - Abbey/Indy

D2 Mens Lacrosse
RedFromMI

Preview of South Quarterfinal - Abbey/Indy

Post by RedFromMI »

#2 seed Belmont Abbey Crusaders (14-3) hosting #3 seed Indianapolis Greyhounds (15-2)

Indy gets the OT win after letting Queens back into the first round game. Belmont Abbey got here as maybe the favorite (for the first time in years if ever) to win Conference Carolinas after Limestone's 11-8 season last year. And the Crusaders started well with a tough schedule, opening in Savannah, GA with a win over Tampa by 4, then Catawba and Lenoir-Rhyne out of the SAC building a six game win streak. But the last game, against Rockhurst proved tougher than expected (14-13 in 2OT) and then a week later the first loss came at the hands of Queens 14-8. After an even first half, Queens outscored the Crusaders 6-1 in the 3rd quarter to win this one going away (only that goal was scored by the Abbey in the second half). But wins over Indianapolis and Lynn righted the ship and even Mount Olive (ranked #12 at the time) was defeated by five behind a 17 save effort by goalie Bryce Gifford. But two games later the trip to Gaffney, SC to meet Limestone gave them their second loss as the Saints, behind 9-6 late in the 3rd quarter started lighting up the Abbey goal and cruised to a 15-10 victory under the lights. Belmont Abbey was only to lose one more time - again to the Saints, this time 13-9 in the Conference Carolinas tournament. But their tough schedule and only losses to top teams put them into the #2 South seed.

Computer rankings:

Abbey: Fanlax - #5/#6 SOS, masseyratings.com (not including Wednesday's first round games) #5/#4 SOS, KRACH - #4, and a 48.6% chance of winning if game against Indy is played like the season so far.

Indy: Fanlax - #3/#2 SOS, masseyratings.com - #7/#15, KRACH - #3.

Take a look at the Indy/Queens preview for a list of Indy's numbers. For the Crusaders, offense is #8 nationally, at 15.24 GPG, and D is #15 at 9.71 GPG. Man-up O succeeds 34.5% of the time (#17 nationally), with man-down D successful 74% of the time (#16). Scoring led by Conference Carolinas co-offensive player of the year Liam Osborne (59, 29) along with Noah Haas (46, 14) and James Booth (22, 29). Seven players have 10+ goals this year for the Crusaders. At the FO, duties are split between Dylan Harmon (44.6%) and Zach Stephenson (49.1%). In goal is Bryce Gifford (10.31 GAA, 55.6 save %).

Crusaders were likely the first team out in the South last year, but the obvious #2 seed this year. So maybe a chip on their shoulder... Greyhounds would like to even the score after falling to the Abbey in the regular season. Weather tomorrow could be an issue in Belmont - and the Crusaders play on a grass field... I would give the edge to Belmont Abbey here...
Pitt12

Re: Preview of South Quarterfinal - Abbey/Indy

Post by Pitt12 »

I like Abbey by a few in this one by a few.
Rick24

Post by Rick24 »

Understanding the projections are computer generated, it seems difficult to consider the Crusaders an underdog considering their prior victory, the fact that the game is at home and taking into consideration Indy will be playing their third tough game (in 3 different states) within a 7 day period. I like The Abbey for this one.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

Just for a different take on this...

I like UIndy tomorrow. Uindy has what it takes to beat Belmont Abbey, if they show up at the beginning of the game, and play 4 full quarters. And I think they will, tomorrow. If they win 2/3 of the FO's again tomorrow, I think you'll see a different game than the last one. Uindy beat Abbey the last quarter they played. I think they just have to show up and take it from there. The only advantage I give Abbey is the wet grass.

Hounds_dad

Post by Hounds_dad »

White please send $5 for parking at Belmont Abby.
#2 fan
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

If you guys are hosting Tampa next week, I'll deliver it in person :)
Last edited by WhiteCarrera on Sat May 11, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 1:14 pm If you guys find are hosting Tampa next week, I'll deliver it in person :)
Too bad, I would have liked to have seen that. :lol:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Belmont Abbey started out well, with a 3-1 lead heading into the second quarter. But the Greyhounds scored three straight to open the second before the Crusaders, after trading a few goals with Indy were able to get back to a 7-6 lead heading into the break.

Indy ties the game not quite midway through the third, and then the teams trade pairs of goals (Abbey first pair) to end the third again knotted at 9. Abbey goes on a 4-1 run to open the quarter, and take a two goal lead at the 5:47 mark in regulation, but the Hounds score three in less than two minutes to leave it at 13 with 2:05 left. Then weather hits hard. Thunder and lightning puts on a hugh delay with 47 seconds left in regulation, and Indy holding the ball after a timeout.

After resuming play (at roughly 5:30 pm for a game that started at noon) no scoring in the rest of regulation. OT was a faceoff win for UIndy and after one missed shot, the game winner 39 seconds into the OT period by Drew Billig to set up the rematch next Sunday in Gaffney, SC against the Saints. Billig was (1, 3), Matthew Johnson (6, 0), Parker Kump (2, 0), Parker Johnson (2, 1), Brian Robb (0, 3), and Shawn Kimble (3, 0). For the Crusaders, Liam Osborne was (2, 5) to lead all scorers in points, while Noah Haas was (4, 1) and Austin Hasen (5, 0).

Abbey had a slight edge in FOs (16/30). Bryce Gifford in the loss had 11 saves, and winning keeper Jarod Kimble had five. Indy had the edge in GBs, Shots, SOGs, and CTs.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

UIndy seems to know just how deep they can dig the hole, before digging themselves back out. It's amazing. ;)
Kiwilax

Post by Kiwilax »

UIndy seems to like overtime. Gives the fans their money’s worth.
HoundsDad

Post by HoundsDad »

What an incredible game by 2 very good teams. You could tell this game would be decided on OT from the very beginning. We did not need the storms for added excitement though, but I wanted to thank the BA fans and staff for being very welcoming and gracious while we waited out the storm.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Congrats Hounds. I'll definitely be on your side vs Tampa!
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 pm Congrats Hounds. I'll definitely be on your side vs Tampa!
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Sorry - obviously I meant Limestone.
JimBeam

Post by JimBeam »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:38 pm Sorry - obviously I meant Limestone.
I thought maybe you were gonna just show up at UIndy next weekend, with 5 bucks. :)
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

any video of the final score? I was watching the feed on conf carolinas link but it never returned from weather delay.
topcat430

Post by topcat430 »

Laxwarrior wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:35 am any video of the final score? I was watching the feed on conf carolinas link but it never returned from weather delay.
https://twitter.com/DIILacrosse/status/ ... 56833?s=17
topcat430

Post by topcat430 »

topcat430 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 am
Laxwarrior wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:35 am any video of the final score? I was watching the feed on conf carolinas link but it never returned from weather delay.
sorry wrong OT lol. can't find any video.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

topcat430 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:55 am
topcat430 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 am
sorry wrong OT lol. can't find any video.
nothing wrong with that video though! :lol:

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”