NY Section V (Rochester area)

HS Boys Lacrosse
ardilla secreta

Re: NY Section V (Rochester area)

Post by ardilla secreta »

Another strong finish for Brighton Tuesday night when they hold Pittsford scoreless in the 4th while drawing even then getting the winner at 0:47 of OT. A first win for Brighton over the Panthers in last 13 meetings going back to 2003.

Next Thursday is the date when Brighton travels to Fairport for the clash of the leaders of Class A and B.
LaxFL

Post by LaxFL »

Penn Yan doubles up Geneva 12-6. PY 9-4 on the season with 4 one goal losses.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yes LaxFL, another nice win for Penn Yan. Clearly they are the heavy favorites in Class D (and that's probably underselling it). They head up to U Fpt next week (BEDS #s are 1408 to 334) for a size mismatch but what will probably be a very good game.

Wayne is quietly 11-3 and one of those losses was to Geneva. They took care of Bath today with a strong 2H. They should get another crack at G'town in the C Finals.

Here's that Cdga-Victor BLN episode for you roclax. Seems the production team felt it was a minor topic, choosing instead to focus on 'Legends Week'. Legends Week...huh.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
ardilla secreta

Of this weekends games Section 6 Orchard Park at Fairport could be a preview of the Class A Far-West regionals. OP has already fallen to Canandaigua 15-4 and has Pittsford up next week.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Penfield travels to Canandaigua today so they can be spanked by the Braves. The chosen place has not been kind to them over the years. I don't expect it to be any kinder this afternoon. Inconsistency has been Penfields trademark all season. I hope the Patriots break out of it today. They sure could use the W.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
LaxFL

Post by LaxFL »

PY with another rough 1 goal loss, 4-3 to Fairport. Freshman goalie Emerson can hold his head high (Kinyoun made be out for a while).
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hope you didn't make the drive down to Cdga C&S as Penfield didn't have a particularly good showing. Looks like they forgot to bring the offense for the first half.

BLN Week 10 is out and while the West Side Story theme is cute, the episode (IMO) falls flat. Hard to get excited about west side lacrosse.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
LaxFL

Post by LaxFL »

I’m really starting to sound like a broken record here...another 1 goal loss, this time to Webster Thomas 5-4 over PY. That’s a wrap on the regular season (10-6) all 6 losses by 1 goal. Now on to the final six games on the schedule!
ardilla secreta

Great game at Fairport tonite that was played with intensity and was close until the last couple of minutes. Brighton could have easily been up 2-0 in the first 30 seconds and Fairport was 0/3 on their first three clears. Big games for Stuver and Stanat (Klay and Lucas) with 4g each.

Brighton plays at such a high tempo, but they could never get their timing down to be productive. The Brighton defense played well, but had no answer for Stuver who while often being cutoff encouraged his teammates to get involved. Both GK had good games with big saves. I thought Brighton’s ssm #4 Najeeb Awad had a gutsy game for his effort on the wings and was often on the field for long stretches playing both ways yet still held his ground on D while gassed. Surprisingly, Brighton dominated FO in 1st half then Fairports fogo Knapp took control in 2nd half which was big in changing momentum. There were some good clean hits by the sidelines driving players out of bounds, though two were saved by timely TO’s.

Going forward, Brighton probably isn’t used to the limelight so losing this game might have been a wake up call before the playoffs start. Once again Fairport has issues clearing the ball when under pressure. That will likely become a bigger problem as they advance.

B 1 2 1 0 - 4
F 2 1 2 3 - 8
Last edited by ardilla secreta on Fri May 17, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

LaxFL wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm I’m really starting to sound like a broken record here...another 1 goal loss, this time to Webster Thomas 5-4 over PY. That’s a wrap on the regular season (10-6) all 6 losses by 1 goal. Now on to the final six games on the schedule!
Five of those losses came on the road against some pretty tough opponents. In five of those losses they scored less than 5 goals. I don't think they'll have road issues or goal scoring issues in the D sectional play. It's theirs to lose but Pal Mac may have edged them out for the #1 seed. Most likely not going to be a factor.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Nigel wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:43 am Hope you didn't make the drive down to Cdga C&S as Penfield didn't have a particularly good showing. Looks like they forgot to bring the offense for the first half.

BLN Week 10 is out and while the West Side Story theme is cute, the episode (IMO) falls flat. Hard to get excited about west side lacrosse.

That is why Penfield lacrosse is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you will get. They played a good game against Irondequoit and won it in OT.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
ardilla secreta

LaxFL wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 pm I’m really starting to sound like a broken record here...another 1 goal loss, this time to Webster Thomas 5-4 over PY. That’s a wrap on the regular season (10-6) all 6 losses by 1 goal. Now on to the final six games on the schedule!
I went to see this game and stayed till Thomas took the lead for good at 8:11 of the 4th before heading to Fairport. I would have expected more offensively from PY. The defense did fine, but the offense failed get the lead they needed so Thomas couldn’t take the air out of the ball and life out of the game by methodically moving the ball around.

I haven’t seen any of the Section 6 Class D teams but looks like they’ll either see Salamanca or Akron, either of which I’m sure are capable of scoring if they get the chance. It could be concerning if PY continues to have issues with offense.
ardilla secreta

What happened to Victor at Corning last night? Victor never had the lead and was never closer to 2 in the 2nd half and was held scoreless in the 4th. Given the way Victor had been playing it looks like the Hawks will be a tough draw against Section 3.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm What happened to Victor at Corning last night? Victor never had the lead and was never closer to 2 in the 2nd half and was held scoreless in the 4th. Given the way Victor had been playing it looks like the Hawks will be a tough draw against Section 3.
Not so fast AS. Corning has a date w Ithaca next week for the sectional title in Class A. Certainly they're the favorite since they have home field advantage, and they already have two pretty convincing wins over the 'lil Red (10-4, 11-3). Pretty safe bet to say it'll be three wins soon, convincing or not.

With the loss to Corning, Victor finished the regular season with 5 losses. Last time that happened was in 2013, Coach Jim Andre's first year.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ardilla secreta

We can expect Section V Commissioner Gordon to vacation this summer at Nigel’s lakeside abode now that Canandaigua has secured the #1 seed in Class B. Quite a feat to jump over both Victor and Brighton, which was undefeated in B. Oh well, confounding seeding formulas are a right of spring like robins and cherry blossoms.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:58 pm We can expect Section V Commissioner Gordon to vacation this summer at Nigel’s lakeside abode now that Canandaigua has secured the #1 seed in Class B. Quite a feat to jump over both Victor and Brighton, which was undefeated in B. Oh well, confounding seeding formulas are a right of spring like robins and cherry blossoms.
OP (11-4) and Hamburg (12-4)...the gift that keeps on giving! ;)

Mix in a bit of Pal Mac (13-3) and Geneva (12-4) for dessert and you get the cherry (and grey) on top!

Victor has got to be kicking themselves for dropping the Penfield game and I would imagine Brighton has a titanic sized chip on their shoulder as the #3 seed. If the Class B quarters play out as expected, 5/25 at U Fpt will be one heck of a day of lacrosse!

I'll have to gas up the seaplane for Commissioner Gordon and myself to make the trip.
roclax

Post by roclax »

Nigel wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:58 pm We can expect Section V Commissioner Gordon to vacation this summer at Nigel’s lakeside abode now that Canandaigua has secured the #1 seed in Class B. Quite a feat to jump over both Victor and Brighton, which was undefeated in B. Oh well, confounding seeding formulas are a right of spring like robins and cherry blossoms.
OP (11-4) and Hamburg (12-4)...the gift that keeps on giving! ;)

Mix in a bit of Pal Mac (13-3) and Geneva (12-4) for dessert and you get the cherry (and grey) on top!

Victor has got to be kicking themselves for dropping the Penfield game and I would imagine Brighton has a titanic sized chip on their shoulder as the #3 seed. If the Class B quarters play out as expected, 5/25 at U Fpt will be one heck of a day of lacrosse!

I'll have to gas up the seaplane for Commissioner Gordon and myself to make the trip.
Nigel, CAs lack of competition will hurt them in the long run.. OP and Hamburg historically can never compete with Section V, they always have great records, but struggle. Pal Mac and Geneva and throw in Penn Yan... For a large school, CAs non league is not that challenging. Victor and Brighton handled CA quite easily this year

CA could be going home with the sportsmanship award again
LaxFL

Post by LaxFL »

PY over Aquinas 15-1. Freshman goalie in again for PY, stepping up when needed.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Been a while since you cracked on Cdga Roclax. I'm wondering if somewhere in your past (if you played) the Braves beat your team or ended your season. Wouldn't be surprised...

For the record, CA isn't a large school; they're a B school. The (7) large schools are in Class A. Within the local B schools (there are 12), five have a higher BEDS # than the Braves. I'm not counting McQ in that #. Their schedule is their schedule. You can poke holes in almost anybody's schedule to make it fit your agenda but at the beginning of the season, CA's schedule was a competitive as most. How they're playing now is all that matters.

The good news for CA is they don't have to concern themselves with both Victor and Brighton. At the moment it's just Thomas in front of them, while the other two try and knock each other out. Your aforementioned Victor/Brighton final ain't gonna happen.

While Cdga beat Thomas earlier in the year this rematch isn't a given. The Titans aren't a high scoring team so the question is, can their defense keep the score close enough so their offense can have a chance to win it? CA had a distinct advantage in FOs in the first meeting and I'd expect that to be the same on Sat. Braves should grind this one out IMO.

Re Victor and Brighton, well, have at it boys! It's a great storyline of the Mighty Victor versus the dream season Barons. Brighton shrugged off a huge disadvantage in FOs a month ago when they played, can they do it again? Did Fairport's recent win over Brighton expose a strategy for Victor to mimic? Victor has had a big stage presence over the past few years, we'll see if this year's team has that pedigree. I'll take Brighton in OT.

Incidentally roclax, CA has a better chance at the sectional title than the sportsmanship award this year, but nice try. Keep hatin'.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”