NY Section I 2019 (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam)

HS Boys Lacrosse
NYSection1

Re: NY Section I 2019 (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam)

Post by NYSection1 »

NYSection1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:10 pm Yorktown, the pride of Section I has a loaded schedule on the immediate horizon:
04/13 Chaminade NY LI Catholic
04/18 @ St Anthony's NY LI Catholic
04/20 @ Bridgewater-Raritan NJ 4 North
04/30 Ridgefield CT L
05/03 Lakeland/Panas NY A Sec 1
05/06 @ Wilton CT L
Oldlilaxer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:11 am Ouch. That's quite a gauntlet.
The Husker's sure don't shy away from challenges.
They really don't. Your post reminded me of a 1981 New York Times article about the tradition of Yorktown lacrosse, the school's first and second head coaches, Jim Turnbull and Jerry Walsh, and its esteemed benefactor Charlie Murphy, a Princeton lacrosse alumnae.

Here is the article "LACROSSE BOOMING AT HIGH SCHOOLS" By Michael Strauss, APRIL 26, 1981:
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/04/26/nyre ... hools.html

Enjoy!
Oldlilaxer

Post by Oldlilaxer »

Great read. Thanks.
I had to laugh when it mentioned Dick Edell as the coach at West Point. Didn't even realize that he was there. Always associated him with Maryland.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

You're welcome. I thought so too.

Regarding Dick Edell, his West Point legacy is embedded in my memory. As a Section I player myself and a teammate drove up to West Point with his dad, who was a referee and watched Army play Hopkins. They had a near bench clearing brawl and I remember how tough the Army players were. Great coach. RIP
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

4/11 Thursday was the Battles of Class A Day:

Scarsdale 12, Lakeland/Panas 11 OT
L/P keeps getting better and Scarsdale is inconsistent despite their high Class A ranking. The Raiders goalie Sam Silverman and middie Andrew Bernstein were keys to the win, with Silverman making 26 saves ane Bernstein getting 5g’s/1a

Mamaroneck 12, Wappingers 3
This is a huge win for the Class A Tigers over the Class A Warriors. Wappingers was on a roll going into this game and the margin of their loss may seem a bit of a surprise. However, the Warriors just handed Class A North Rockland their first defeat in a 12-6 battle. Wappingers had a one day rest to prepare for the best team in Class A and the second best team in Section I behind Yorktown.

Suffern 9, Nyack 7
The Mounties have tradition and talent (Mahecha with 4 goals) but need to find consistency against their Class A competition, which is one of the most contested Classes in Section I. This game against Class B Nyack is a storied Rockland County rivalry, but Suffern needs to win these out of class games by larger margins.

Carmel 7, White Plains 3
The Carmel Rams may not be contending for Class A dominance, but they are a newer program in a huge school that should continue to excel, especially in light of the fact that the school’s biggest rival, Mahopac has a lacrosse resume that includes a Class A NY State championship. The Rams won a close game against the Class A Tigers. Apparently, Carmel has a strong baseball booster program, but Carmel lacrosse is improving and its likely their lax boys want to beat Mahopac.

Mahopac 9, New Rochelle 6
Two large Class A schools from the northern and southern tiers of Section One knocked heads, but the difference was Mahopac goalie Mike Argila, who made an amazing 16 saves to secure the win. Credit to the Huguenots for a hard fought battle against a team that is on the roll.

Somers 11, Arlington 8
Class B Somers pulls out a win against Class A Arlington’

Public School vs CHSSA

John Jay 10, Fordham Prep 3
As noted earlier, John Jay graduated about 18 seniors and this is a rebuilding year. The good news is that a freshman, Tyler Wishart, scored 4 goals against the solid Catholic HSSA

CHSSA Game of the Week

Iona Prep 10, Stepinac 6
Stepinac is knocking on the door, but has yet to be an annual threat to the Section I, CHSSA top dogs, Iona Prep Gaels.

Bronxville 23, Danbury, Conn. 4
The Broncos are on a roll with four straight wins, getting this W against nearby Danbury, CT,

Bishop Loughlin 16, Yonkers 6
Yonkers is a prideful team that lacks the financial budgets of other Westchester schools, but they play hard and play with pride. They also have a star in JoJo Mancuso who scored four goals in this game.

Other Games:
Fox Lane 15, Harrison 8
Hastings 13, North Salem 2
Irvington 17, Blind Brook 4
Haldane 12, Dobbs Ferry 9

4/10 Wednesday

Byram Hills 15, Our Lady of Lourdes 3
It's unlikely Lourdes players recall their football progam's upset of the 1984 Byram Hills team that featured Greg Rogers, who went on to have a great lacrosse career at Brown.

Nanuet 12, Clarkstown South 11 (OT)
An upset by the Golden Nights over ranked Class B CS

Ossining 13, Edgemont 7
Brewster 16, Sleepy Hollow 3
Clarkstown North 14, Ardsley 5
silk

Post by silk »

Keep 'em coming NYsec1. Yorktown - Great schedule...they'll grow up fast the next two weeks. I read the article about Chaminade game. Sounds like Yorktown is down some key guys...hopefully they'll be back at full strength soon.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

silk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:25 am Keep 'em coming NYsec1. Yorktown - Great schedule...they'll grow up fast the next two weeks. I read the article about Chaminade game. Sounds like Yorktown is down some key guys...hopefully they'll be back at full strength soon.
Thanks Silk. Will do. I'll have a summary of the Yorktown/Chaminade game up asap. The Flyers are a solid team and the coach has recruited some phenomenal players. I think 'Town is still evolving, but the game against the Flyers was an important measuring stick. It is interesting to speculate how St. Anthony's will do against the Huskers tomorrow. Regardless, the Huskers need to take care of business in Section I.

Here are the leagues in Section I for reference as playoff consideration approaches:

CLASS A:
League A — Arlington, Carmel, Lakeland, Mahopac, Ossining, Wappingers.
League B — Mamaroneck, New Rochelle, North Rockland, Scarsdale, Suffern, White Plains.

CLASS B:
League A — Brewster, Fox Lane, Harrison, Horace Greeley, John Jay, Somers, Yorktown.
League B — Clarkstown North, Clarkstown South, Nyack, Peekskill, Tappan Zee.

CLASS C:
League C — Henry Hudson, Nanuet, Lourdes, Pearl River, Sleepy Hollow.
League D — Ardsley, Byram Hills, Eastchester, Edgemont, Pelham, Rye.

CLASS D:
League A — Briarcliff, Bronxville, Pleasantville, Putnam Valley, Westlake.
League B — Croton, Haldane, North Salem, Pawling.
League C — Albertus Magnus, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Irvington.
League D — Blind Brook, Keio, Rye Neck, Yonkers

In regards to the state playoffs, Class A and Class D (League A) are the most competitive. The number of teams in Class D illustrates how many small, town-based highs schools there are in Section I, specifically Westchester County. Prior to the incorporation of Class D into the NY state playoff system, these schools had a difficult time competing with larger schools. Section I is an older county where town loyalties run deep. There is a lack of large, multi-town regional high schools in Westchester and mergers between neighboring small schools is not likely.

Of note regarding the high schools not named after a town or city, North Rockland is in Thiells, Rockland County, (which is a large regional high school). Fox Lane is in Bedford and includes students from Mt. Kisco and Bedford Hills. Horace Greeley is in Chappaqua and includes also students from Millwood. John Jay is in Cross River and includes students from Katonah. Byram Hills is in Armonk and includes students from Bedford and Pleasantville. Sleepy Hollow is in Tarrytown and includes students from Elmsford. Albertus Magnus is a Catholic school in Bardonia, Rockland County. Lourdes is a Catholic school up in Poughkeepsie,
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

A huge weekend for Section One, with numerous games against non-sectional opponents, as well as important Section One games with playoff implications:

4/13 Saturday

John Jay 11, Pleasantville 9
Although coming up short, the Class D Panthers, coached by the son of the former, great John Jay coach Bob Kear, demonstrated they are a superior lacrosse program in New York State. The game was tied 9-9 late in the fourth quarter. John Jay can thank its goalie, Aidan Koff, for doing his part, making 13 saves.

Chaminade 11, Yorktown 5
The Huskers played arguably the best team in New York State. They did not get the W, but this will prepare them for the anticipated Class B sectional final with John Jay. The Huskers play St. Anthony's tomorrow.

Mamaroneck 8, Half Hollows Hill East 5
Another victory for the Class A defending champions versus Section VII- HH East. This is the sixth win in row by Mamaroneck.

Niskayuna 17, Lakeland/Panas 14
While their record does not reflect it, the Lakeland Hornets/Panas Panthers- "Rebels" are a good team and played well against one of the strongest NY Class A teams. (Section XI-Ward Melville beat Niskayuna in the 2018 Class A NYS Championship, but WM is ranked nationally).

Iona Prep 14, Ballston Spa 4

Arlington 13, Vernon Township, N.J. 4
Newer team Class A Arlington expanding its breadth of experience with a win over Vernon Township.

Staples, Westport,Conn. 12, Rye 2
The Rye coaches clearly want to increase the Garnet's competition and picked a game against one of the best teams in Connecticut. Rye goalie Emmet Carroll kept the game closer with 14 saves. Rye needs more consistency.

Farmingdale 14, Tappan Zee 5
Tappan Zee can only benefit from a game versus Farmingdale, a team that once regularly visited Yorktown for some of the early non-sectional battles in NY State.

New Fairfield, Conn. 14, Briarcliff 5
Fordham Prep 12, St. Peter's, N.J. 5
Newtown, Conn. 13, Stepinac 8
Fox Lane 11, Somers 10 3OT
Great battle between former power programs
Irvington 16, North Salem 3
Pearl River 10, Brewster 9
Haldane 15, Hastings 10
Dobbs Ferry 14, Rye Neck 2
Putnam Valley 13, Warwick 11
Eastchester 9, Nyack 6
Horace Greeley 14, New Rochelle 7
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

April 16 Tuesday

Big day for Class A (again) and Section I, CHSSA bragging rights:

Wappingers 6, Lakeland/Panas 5 OT
Awesome match-up of strong class A programs, one trying to return to its tradition (Lakeland/Panas merger) and one trying to establish itself as a perennial contender. Congrats to Coach Brian Kuczma, his staff and players for this "upset" and an important in the Class A seeding for the sectional playoffs. Right now, it looks like Marmaroneck at #1, Scarsdale at #2, North Rockland at #3, Wappingers at #4, Lakeland/Panas at #5

Upset of Day or Expected?
Westlake 11, Mahopac 10
Class D Westlake is staking its claim for Class D respect (fear?) by winning a close one against the improving Class A Indians, another team trying to rebuild based on its tradition. This loss puts Mahopac out of my top 5 in Class A and further strengthens Westlake's stature in Class D. They made it to the state finals two years ago. The difference in enrollment in between Westlake and Mahopac is about 1,000 students.

Arlington 6, White Plains 5 OT
Another great Class A match-up between the northern region of section one and the southern. These close games bode well for Class A competitiveness in the future.

Iona Prep 8, Fordham Prep 2
Iona is still the top dog in the Catholics, winning this low scoring battle of the best CHSSA teams in Section I. It’s all about recruiting.

Pleasantville 15, Horace Greeley 8
Class D Pleasantville demonstrated its program superiority over the Class B Quakers from Chappaqua,.
Jake Coleman helped filed the shoes left by the Panthers' record breaking graduates, scoring five goals and adding an assist in this game.

Nanuet 10, Brewster 3
Nanuet is having a nice season in Class C, but Rye and Byram Hills are the top two in C.
Byram Hills 14 , Harrison 11
The Class C Bobcats of Armonk win a close one against long standing rivals, Class B Harrison Huskies. The Cats are on a winning streak and have not had much of a challenge in recent games, but this was closer than expected. The Bobcats should schedule stronger non;league opponents if they are going to compete against Rye and neighbor Pleasantville on an annual basis. Byram faces Rye at the end of the season.
Briarcliff 7, Stepinac 5
Newer program Class D Briarcliff, benefiting from a strong feeder program and the involvement of Carcaterra, won a close one against the Crusaders from the CHSSA.
Dobbs Ferry 7, Nyack 6
Impressive win by Class D Dobbd Ferry against a Class B Nyack, a former section I powerhouse. I recall watching play Suffern at Nyack with hundreds of spectators and no parking. Hopefully, the Indians can return to their past success.
Fox Lane 10, Pelham 5
Tough season for the 2018 Class C Section One Champs, losing another game, this time to Class B Fox Lane.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

April 17 Wednesday

Somers 14, Henry Hudson 9
This game was a battle between two double hat trick scorers: Brandon LaSpina for Somers scored six goals. Connor Gallagher for Henry Hudson scored six goals and added one assist.

Byram Hills 19, Rye Neck 1
In addition to their goalie, who is committed to Princeton, the Bobcats have Casey Begleiter who is a top scorer in Section I. Byram Hills is blowing out their opponents, but the competition is not at the level of neighboring Pleasantville and Westlake, nor league rival Rye. The Cats need to play error free ball. They were already soundly be by Class D Westlake for bragging rights.

Putnam Valley 11, Lourdes 2
Keio 14, Blind Brook 6
Hackley 13, Poly Prep 3
Rye Country Day 9, St. Luke's 5
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

April 18, Thursday

The Class A
All but one Class A was victorious....barely....against smaller schools. Incredible how many on goal games there were:

Scarsdale 17, Pleasantville 16 OT
It very impressive what Coach Kear has done in Pleasantville. First, svtart a program from scratch in a small school with a great sports history. (Also, recall that the Giants used to practice at Pace University in Pleasantville). Then in 2018, bring the Panthers to the NY State Class D finals and win.
On Thursday, Pleasantville took Scarsdale,( ranked #2 in Section I, Class A) to overtime. On Saturday, the Panthers took Class B John Jay down to the wire, before losing 11-9. They are basically putting Section I on notice that they are striving to be the best team regardless of class size.

Mamaroneck 5, Rye 4
Rye is ranked #1 in Class C and almost beak the Tigers, ranked #1 in Class A and the second best team in Section I behind Yorktown, who just squeaked by Mamaroneck with the victory at the start of the season.

Shenendehowa 4, Lakeland Hornets/Panas Panthers-Rebels 3
Mahopac 10, HoraceGreeley 9 OT
Wappingers 8, Fox Lane 7
Suffern 11, Tappan Zee 10
North Rockland 4, Nyack 3
New Rochelle 13, Pelham 10
Arlington 11, Clarkstown South 10 OT

Class B, non-section
St. Anthony’s 15, Yorktown 7
The Huskers are in a brutal stretch of non-Section I games. On April 13, they faced Chaminade, who beat St.Anthony’s, then travelled to Section 11 to play St. Anthony’s out in Suffolk County. St. Anthony’s went on scoring runs when the Huskers inched closer. Credit to Yorktown for not getting discourage. They were down early with only about two goals scored, but had a few runs in the second half. St. Anthony’s played a zone defense in the second half, and Yorktown had a hard time getting a good shot.

Class D
Bronxville 8, Briarcliff 7
This is one of the best games of the year. It is amazing how improved Briarcliff is. I wouldn’t have considered a Briarcliff victory to be an upset. As stated, Class D and Class A are the most competitive classes in Section I, but Class Di is the MOST competitive. Westlake is very good, but I don’t see any of these three Class D teams beating Pleasantville as long as the Panthers stay humble and keep playing well.

CHSSA
Kellenberg 18, Stepinac 11
silk

Post by silk »

Nice Win for John Jay over Cold Spring Harbor. Great to see key player/major difference maker back in the lineup. Team just got alot better.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

April 20., Saturday

Briarcliff 12, Scarsdale 7
One of he biggest upsets of the season, with Class D Briarcliff rebounding from a one goal loss to Class D Bronxville and easily defeating Class A contender Scarssale.

Yorktown 4, Bridgewater-Raritan, N.J. 2
Yorktown robounds from losses against Chaminade and St. Anthony to beat B.R, despite injuries.

Lakeland Hornets/Panas Panthers 12, Somers 4
L/P showing life, despite a losing record.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Section I leaders by Class as of Monday April 22nd:

CLASS A
Mamaroneck (8-1)
Scarsdale (6-2)
North Rockland (6-2)
Mahopac (6-3)
Wappingers (6-3)
Lakeland/Panas (3-5)

CLASS B
Yorktown (6-3)
John Jay (5-2)

CLASS C
Rye (3-4)
Byram Hills (8-1)

CLASS D
Bronxville (6-1)
Briarcliff (6-4)
Pleasantville (5-3)
Westlake (4-3)

CHSSA
Iona Prep (7-1)

Based on strength of schedule and record, the top teams in each class are: A-Mamaroneck; B-Yorktown; C-Rye; D-Bronxville.

The biggest surprise is in Class D, with four solid teams, in which Bronxville under a new coach is 6-1.
In Class A, Mamaroneck is the strongest program, with the other leaders bunched together with upset wins and losses.
Class B and Class C lack depth/parity.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

TUESDAY, APRIL 23

Section I vs. Section XI and Section VII:
silk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:56 am Nice Win for John Jay over Cold Spring Harbor. Great to see key player/major difference maker back in the lineup. Team just got alot better.

John Jay 13, Cold Spring Harbor 4 (Sec XI)
The Indians win easy over the Seahawks, who are having a good season. This was big win for John Jay.

Mamaroneck 9, Wantagh 8 (Sec VIII)
The Tigers win their ninth straight game from Section 8 Nassau County. Wantaugh’s only other loss this season was to Section 11 Smithtown West (10-1) by a score of 14-9.

Class D shows up Class A

Pleasantville 15, Mahopac 4
Class D Panthers devoured the Class A Indians

Briarcliff 11, Lakeland/Panas 6
Briarcliff continues its Section I realignment tour beating the once unbeatable Lakeland/Panas, the teams formerly known as the Lakeland Hornets and the Panas Panathers.
Last edited by NYSection1 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

From Last Week:

CLASS D GAME OF THE SEASON IN SECTION I
Bronxville 13, Pleasantville 11
Bronxville is back, beating the defending Class D NY State Champs last Thursday,

NY Section I vs Connecticut
John Jay 9, Ridgefield 8 OT
Both Ford brothers were together on the field for John Jay after an injury and they combined for 5 of the 9 goals. A healthy and maturing John Jay had a good week beating teams from Long Island and Connecticut.

CHSAA
Iona Prep 17, CBA-Albany 4
Fordham Prep 9, Loyola, Calif. 7
Westlake 9, Stepinac 8

Class D Westlake of Thornwood just did enough to beat the Crusaders.

Class A
Mamaroneck 11, Suffern 6
Tigers offensive start Will Martin scored 4 goals after missing some games due to injury.
Scarsdale 19, North Rockland 3
North Rockland had an opportunity to take make a statement in Class A, but Scarsdale rebounded after getting beat up by Class D schools and played with a vengeance.
Lakeland/Panas 8, Mahopac 5

Class C Upset
Pelham 5, Byram Hills 4 (2OT)
Last Wednesday, the Bobcats finally faced a challenge in after their early season upset over Class A Mahopac, Pelham is defending Class C Section I champs, but have been plagued by losses and injuries. The Bobcats goalie Griffen Rakower (Princeton commit) kept the game closer than it could have been with an amazing 18 saves.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Bronxville 11, Greenwich, Conn. 9
Bronxville had a nice win against Greenwich HS, who have beaten Niskayuna and Wilton

Mamaroneck 16, Sachem North 7 (Sec XI)
The Indians beat Section XI Flaming Arrows, and have an 11 game winning streak.

Farmingdale 6 (Sec VIII), Pleasantville 5
The Panthers came up on goal short against the Section VIII Dalers on Long Island. Pleasantville has a brutal schedule, playing larger Section I and non-Section I schools. They clearly want a second chance to beat Bronxville and defend their Class D state championship.

Rye 7, Lakeland/Panas 3
LP loses again, this time to my top ranked Class C team, Rye Garnets.

Scarsdale 10, Wappingers 6
Stepinac 13, St. John the Baptist 10
Yorktown 9, Somers 5
Kellenberg 16, Fordham Prep
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Nice win for JJ yesterday vs SWR, seem to be hitting their stride.
silk

Post by silk »

JJ seems to be on a roll as they took care of Iona Prep pretty handily. Hopefully, JJ and Ytown are both at full strength throughout the playoffs and we get another classic sectional final.
silk

Post by silk »

Section Finals set (all games at Lakeland)
A - Mamaroneck vs Lakeland Panas
B - Yorktown vs John Jay
C- Rye vs Byram Hills
D - Briarcliff vs Pleasantville

Section 1, who ya got?
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

silk wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 am Section Finals set (all games at Lakeland)
A - Mamaroneck vs Lakeland Panas
B - Yorktown vs John Jay
C- Rye vs Byram Hills
D - Briarcliff vs Pleasantville

Section 1, who ya got?
Sorry for slacking; busy with work and family. However, I have kept up with the scores since my last post. There have been some amazing games and upsets.

D: As noted, Class D is truly in a class by itself with four strong teams, including several that have sufficient out of section/out of state games to warrant the title. Briarcliff (14-4) and Pleasantville (13-6) are newer programs in Section I and have hit the ground running. Bronxville's return to prominence in Section I (11-6) was a surprise in that they have a new coach, but considering where he came from (Brother Rice, MI) maybe there is no basis for surprise.

At any rate, it is good for the section to have Briarcliff in the final. Compliments to the Bears Coach, Al Meola. The Bears have only 4 losses, Summit (record: 13-2), Ridgefield (record: 15-2) New Fairfield (record: 17-1) and Bronxville.

Pleasantville played several Class A and B schools, so their record (13-6) does not reflect how good they are. The Panthers lost to Class B John Jay by 1, Class A Scarsdale by 2 and Class A Farmingdale(Sec.8) by 1. Briarcliff lost to Bronxville 8-7 on April 18th, but later beat P'ville 9-8 on May 4th.

Pleasantville lost to Bronxville 13 - 11 on April 25th, but the 4th seeded Panthers beat the #1 seeded Bronxville 11-10 in OT when it mattered most: May 20th in the Class D sectional semi-finals.

A: Mamaroneck at this time looks like it can be a legit rep of Sec. I Class A at the state level. Their record is an amazing 17-1. Obviously, Ward Melville is a program that has a storied history, but I hope the Tigers continue to grow and continue to upgrade their schedule, adding more Sec. 8 and Sec. 11 teams as well as Connecticut and New Jersey teams. Mamaroneck has won about 17 straight games. They beat Wantagh (Sec VIII) 9-8 and Half Hollows East (Sex. XI) 8-5.
The Lakeland Hornets/Panas Panthers is an interesting team. Their record is not good (9-10). Yet, the tradition of excellence in the Lakeland program that produced players like Egan (Cuse) and Beardsley (Cuse) seems to have a life of its own, and the Hornets/Panthers find themselves, yet again in the final. They are unpredictable and therefore dangerous. The Tigers must play perfect lacrosse bc L/P will be seeking revenge.

B: I picked Yorktown to win Class B because of the talent they had returning this season (granted, they graduated Brett Makar at defense who played beyond his years as a started for Maryland) and because John Jay graduated approx. 18 players. The 'Huskers beat John Jay early in the season, 8-3. However, Yorktown (13-5) subsequently suffered some injuries, while John Jay (16-2) simply showed how strong their program is and how the kids are tuned in to the coaching staff and next-man-up philosophy. The Indians' only other loss was to nationally ranked Manhasset in their opener by the score of 11-5. John Jay beat Wilton by 1, Cold Spring Harbor by 9, Shoreham-Wading River by 2 and Iona Prep by 5. They have the momentum, but Yorktown....is Yorktown.

C: Rye (13-5), as expected is in the finals in Class C. However, I am very impressed with Byram Hills (12-6), a team that improved from last year. They also have a relatively new coach, Michael Johnson (3rd year), two big scorers and a senior goalie, Griffen Rakower, who committed to Princeton. He is the real deal; understands the game. The Bobcats lost to Rye a few weeks ago in Armonk 8-3, but the score was 6-3 in the 4th if I recall. I saw the highlight video. Rye moves the ball very well. Byram Hills started the season strong with an opening day victory over Class A Mahopac by 4 goals. However, they lost to a depleted Class C-Pelham squad in OT and then lost by four goals to Pleasantville 11-7. In contrast, Rye opened with an 8-6 loss to John Jay, destroyed Class B Somers, lost to P'Ville 8-7 in triple OT on April 6th, beat Lakeland Hornets/Panas Panthers, then recently lost to Yorktown 8-4 on May 13th. Both the Garnets and the Bobcats are in-stride, destroying their most recent sectional playoff opponents: No. 1 Rye 16, No. 5 Pelham 3 and No. 2 Byram Hills 15 , No. 3 Nanuet 4. Although only one victory separates their number of victories, Rye beat the Bobcats head-to-head earlier this season, Rye has a stronger schedule than the Bobcats and Rye played relatively well against those strong programs.

So, here are my predictions:
Class A Mamaroneck
Class B John Jay
Class C Rye
Class D Pleasantville
, but only bc of experience in the sectional final. Really too close to call.

(The records posted above are from IL, so they may be incorrect, but close enough to get an idea of the talent)

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”