NY Section I 2019 (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam)

HS Boys Lacrosse
NYSection1

Re: NY Section I 2019 (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam)

Post by NYSection1 »

Monday 3/25

Yorktown 13, Fox Lane 7
The Huskers are getting better.

Briarcliff 6, Pelham 3

Tuesday 3/26

Irvington 15, Rye Neck 2

Stepinac 15, Kennedy Catholic 3
The Crusaders easily one the Section I Catholic school battle. They will have a stronger challenge from Iona Prep and Fordham Prep.

Carmel 19, Croton-Harmon 15

Keio 8, Hastings 7 (3 OT)

Westlake (Thorwnwood) 16, Byram Hills (Armonk) 7
Not the start the Bobcats expected, losing to cross-town rivals Westlake. Their goalie Griffen Rakower is a Princeton commit and one of the top goalies in Section I.

Wednesday 3/27

Mamaroneck 10, Mahopac 5
The Tigers continue to establish themselves as the premier Class A team in Section I, beating the 1996 NY State, Class A Champions Mahopac Indians. Tom Conley, Will Martin each scored three goals.

Manhasset 11, John Jay 5
This is a rebuilding year for John Jay. The kept the game close in the first half, but Manhasset pulled away in the second

Fox Lane 14, Ossining 8

Horace Greeley 13, Putnam Valley 9

Clarkstown South 9, White Plains 5

Nanuet 9, Clarkstown North 6

Harrison 9, Nyack 3

Last edited by NYSection1 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Thursday 3/28

Scarsdale 15, Stepinac 5
Class A looks like a battle between Mamaroneck, Scarsdale and Lakeland

Lakeland/Panas 12, Suffern 4
Class A Lakeland easily handled Rockland County's traditional power Suffern Mounties. It looks like this year's edition of the Rebels is better than last year. Maybe the school districts will let Panas have their own team again.

Dobbs Ferry 13, Croton 12 OT
Tiny Dobbs Ferry, home of Villanova Univesity basketball national champion Eric Paschall, held on to defeat Croton, home of the the great Syracuse LSM Fred Opy.

Westlake 16, Irvington 2
The Wildcats may be appearing in the Class D Sec I championship.

Briarcliff 14, New Rochelle 5

Hastings 18, Blind Brook 4

Rye Neck 9, Pawling 4
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Friday, March 29

John Jay (Katonah/Cross River) 8, Rye 6
A great rematch of the battle between Class C Section I runner-up Rye and Class B Section I champion John Jay.

Harrison 12, White Plains 6

Croton 10, Ossining 9, 3OT
Croton wins this overtime battle. Three close games.

Fox Lane 10 (Mt.Kisco/Bedford), Eastchester 8

Byram Hills 10 (Armonk), Horace Greeley 8 (Chappaqua)
Bobcat goalie Griffen Rakower had a big game against the Quakers, making 12 saves.

Henry Hudson 14, Tappan Zee 6
Class C Henry Hudson easily beat Class B Tappan Zee from Rockland County.

Pearl River 13, Clarkstown South 8

Nanuet 18, Albertus Magnus (Catholic) 9

Sleepy Hollow(Tarrytown) 10, Peekskill 3

Lourdes 6, Ardsley 4
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

NYSection1 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:49 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:18 pm Bronxville hires Rob Ambrose to be new head coach. Ambrose comes to NY from Michigan where he ran the power house that is the Brother Rice HS lacrosse program. 16 championships. 380 wins. This will have an impact.
If I recall, Brother Rice is one of the early successful, non-east coast high school lacrosse programs.

Any insight into why there was a coaching change at Bronxville and where the prior head coach and staff landed?
Former Bronxville coach Tim Horgan, who successfully lead the Broncos to a 168-51 record in 11 seasons was forced out in the off season without a public statement from athletic director Karen Peterson and superintendent of schools Roy Montesano as of February 5th.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high ... 772892002/
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Saturday, March 30

Darien 11, Yorktown 7

Good game by the Huskers against Darien, ranked #17 nationally by Under Armour/Inside Lacrosse. The Huskers pulled to within two goals near the end of the 4th quarter, but Darien subsequently scored two goals off of Yorktown turnovers.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Yorktown starts its conference play this week. Class A Mahopac travels to Scarsdale HS to play the Class A Raiders

Predictions:

Tomorrow (4/4):
The Huskers visit Chappaqua to play Class B Horace Greeley. Yorktown should win that game by at least 5 goals.

Then two days later on April 6th, Yorktown has a home game in the rematch of the year against Class B John Jay-(Katonah/Cross River). Assuming the Huskers are healthy after a hard fought game against Darien, Yorktown will get their revenge from their Section I, Class B Championship loss to John Jay and beat the Indians by at least 4 goals. JJ graduated too many solid players and is contending with some injuries.

Today:
Scarsdale will beat Mahopac by at least 5. Class C Byram Hills, a sold program from a smaller school handled Mahopac (7-3), so I don't foresee the Indians doing well against the Raiders in an away game.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Nice win this evening by John Jay over Connecticut neighbor Wilton: John Jay 7, Wilton 6
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

A late listing of notable wins on April 2nd:

Rye 9, Fox Lane 5
The Class C, #1 ranked Garnets beat Class B Fox Lane (Mt.Kisco/Bedford), alma mater of '80's Syracuse stars Matt Cacacciato and Rhett Cavanaugh.

Bronxville 12, Stepinac 9
A battle between an improving Broncos team under a new coach versus the improving Catholic League Stepinac Crusaders of White Plains.

Mamaroneck 15, Westlake 9
Great match-up of the best in A versus a Class D contender Westlake Wildcats of Thornwood. These teams will be vying for the top tier of their respective Classes

North Rockland 10, Nanuet 2
In a Rockland County battle, Class A Red Raiders beat Class C Golden Nights. North Rockland is slowly moving into contention for Class A consideration. The have a committed coaching staff, including the former Byram Hills head coach.

Horace Greeley 13, Eastchester 6
The Chappaqua B school rebounded from their loss to Byram Hills and played well against the Class C Eagles

Clarkstown South 8, Harrison 5
Unranked South upset the Huskies in a Rockland/Westchester battle over the new Cuomo Bridge

Other scores:
Nyack 7, Pearl River 6 (OT)
Somers 11, Tappan Zee 9
Edgemont 11, Sleepy Hollow 8.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

NYSection1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 am Yorktown starts its conference play this week. Class A Mahopac travels to Scarsdale HS to play the Class A Raiders

Predictions:

Tomorrow (4/4):
The Huskers visit Chappaqua to play Class B Horace Greeley. Yorktown should win that game by at least 5 goals.

Then two days later on April 6th, Yorktown has a home game in the rematch of the year against Class B John Jay-(Katonah/Cross River). Assuming the Huskers are healthy after a hard fought game against Darien, Yorktown will get their revenge from their Section I, Class B Championship loss to John Jay and beat the Indians by at least 4 goals. JJ graduated too many solid players and is contending with some injuries.

Today:
Scarsdale will beat Mahopac by at least 5. Class C Byram Hills, a sold program from a smaller school handled Mahopac (7-3), so I don't foresee the Indians doing well against the Raiders in an away game.
Two out of three:
Yorktown 8, John Jay 3
Yesterday, Yorktown avenged their upset from last year's Class B sectional final.

Yorktown 13, Horace Greeley 3
On Thursday, the Huskers easily won their first conference game against the Quakers.

Mahopac 9, Scarsdale 8
A big upset for the Indians beating #2 Scarsdale on the Raiders homefield.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

4/3

Suffern 9, Wappingers 7
Another upset, with the 8th ranked Mounties beating the 4th ranked Warriors. The Warriors are a growing program that was initiated and is presently coached by Yorktown grad and Hopkins alum Brian Kuczma. Kuczma has done impressive work, starting a program at Henry Hudson High School before moving on to Wappingers Falls .

Other scores:
Croton-Harmon 17, Rye Neck 10
Lakeland/Panas 17, Ossining 5
Dobbs Ferry 19, North Salem 1

4/4

Byram Hills 7, Brewster 6, 3OT
The Bobcats, ranked #2 in Class C pulled it out against Brewster, ranked #8 in Class B. Bobcat goal Griffen Rakower had another good game with 9 saves. The game would have been a blow out but for the stellar performance of 22 saves by Brewster goalie Billy Finn. Back in the day, players from both sidelines often heard legendary and hugely successful retired Bobcat coach Richie Caputo yell, "Don't shot the ball in the goalie's damn stick."

Iona Prep 11, Bergen Catholic (NJ) 10
Prep takes care of business in the Catholic school battle with New Jersey.

Nanuet 9, Nyack 7
Battle between Rockland County neighbors. Class C Nanuet beat Class B Nyack, alma mater Jon Hess a three time All-American at Princeton, Ivy League player of the year, =three time national champion Tiger and NCAA attackman of the year.

Rye 17, Somers 5
Rye, ranked #1 in Class C destroyed Somers, ranked #3 in Class B. The Tuskers have fallen since the days of JoJo Marasco. The helicopter parents hovered over Somers several years back and a legendary football coach, the AD and the lacrosse coach were gone. Reap/sow.

Harrison 13, Ardsley 6
The Huskies, ranked 5th in Class B bounced back after a loss to unranked Class B Clarkstown South,

Stepinac 8, Fordham Prep 7, OT
The Stepinac program is steadily improving, beating Fordham in an upset after a 12-9 loss to Bronxville on April 2nd. This is the first win over Fordham for more than ten years,

Briarcliff 14, Henry Hudson 6
#3 ranked Class D Briarcliff easily beat #4 ranked Class C Henry Hudson. Briarcliff youth lacrosse has benefits from former Yorktown/ Hopkins goalie Brian Carcaterra. Briarcliff is in the running for Class D control, along with Pleasantville, Bronxville and Westlake(Thornwood).

Other Scores
Fox Lane 9, Tappan Zee 6
Croton-Harmon 10, Hastings 8
Eastchester 11, Our Lady of Lourdes 10
Last edited by NYSection1 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
viper

Post by viper »

NYSection1 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:25 pm 4/3

Suffern 9, Wappingers 7
Another upset, with the 8th ranked Mounties beating the 4th ranked Warriors. The Warriors are a growing program that was initiated and is presently coached by Yorktown grad and Hopkins alum Brian Kuczma. Kuczma has done impressive work, starting a program at Henry Hudson High School before moving on to Wappingers Falls .

Other scores:
Croton-Harmon 17, Rye Neck 10
Lakeland/Panas 17, Ossining 5
Dobbs Ferry 19, North Salem 1

4/4

Byram Hills 7, Brewster 6, 3OT
The Bobcats, ranked #2 in Class C pulled it out against Brewster, ranked #8 in Class B. Bobcat goal Griffen Rakower had another good game with 9 saves. The game would have been a blow out but for the stellar performance of 22 saves by Brewster goalie Billy Finn.

Iona Prep 11, Bergen Catholic (NJ) 10
Prep takes care of business in the Catholic school battle with New Jersey.

Nanuet 9, Nyack 7
Battle between Rockland County neighbors. Class C Nanuet beat Class B Nyack, alma mater Jon Hess a three time All-American at Princeton, Ivy League player of the year, =three time national champion Tiger and NCAA attackman of the year.

Rye 17, Somers 5
Rye, ranked #1 in Class C destroyed Somers, ranked #3 in Class B. The Tuskers have fallen since the days of JoJo Marasco. The helicopter parents hovered over Somers several years back a legend football coach, the AD and the lacrosse coach. Reap/sow.

Harrison 13, Ardsley 6
The Huskies, ranked 5th in Class B bounced back after a loss to unranked Class B Clarkstown South,

Stepinac 8, Fordham Prep 7, OT
The Stepinac program is steadily improving, beating Fordham in an upset after a 12-9 loss to Bronxville on April 2nd. This is the first win over Fordham for more than ten years,

Briarcliff 14, Henry Hudson 6
#3 ranked Class D Briarcliff easily beat #4 ranked Class C Henry Hudson. Briarcliff youth lacrosse has benefits from former Yorktown/ Hopkins goalie Brian Carcaterra. Briarcliff is in the running for Class D control, along with Pleasantville, Bronxville and Westlake(Thornwood).

Other Scores
Fox Lane 9, Tappan Zee 6
Croton-Harmon 10, Hastings 8
Eastchester 11, Our Lady of Lourdes 10
Thanks for the updates! I really like the references to past alumni and coaches involved in the programs as well!
silk

Post by silk »

Agree. Good stuff!
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Viper and Silk,

Thanks for the positive feedback! I will continue to share info I have on Section I. There is a great lacrosse history in Lower Hudson Valley that may be overshadowed by other regions, but is something we are proud of and fortunately that history continues to be written.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

4/6 -Saturday

Pleasantville 8, Rye 7 3OT
The defending 2018 New York Class D champions Panthers upset Section I Class C runner-up Rye. The Garnet’s goalie, Emmet Carroll, kept is close with 20 saves, but it wasn’t enough for the win. Last year, Rye was upset in the sectional finals by Pelham.

Weston, Conn. 10, Fordham Prep 2
Fordham is a vastly improved program, but still has a way to go to beat one the top tier teams in Connecticut. Not a bad showing

North Rockland 15, Clarkstown North 1
No competition in Rockland County.

Summit, N.J. 2, Briarcliff 1
A low scoring, inter-state contest, but Briarcliff is established itself as a solid Class D program willing to go nose to nose with an elite NJ team.

Kellenberg 8, Iona Prep 7
The Gaels first loss.

Mahopac 13, Somers 11
Mahopac continues their improvement tour, beating Somers.Drew Riolo had ten points; 4g/6a

New Fairfield, Conn. 19, Stepinac 6
Stepinac is improving, but needs more time to be competitive in these interstate games.

Westlake 14, Warwick 12
Class D is the most competitive class in Section I. Westlake has a potent offense. Briarcliff has a stingy defense. Pleasantville is the defending Class D state champs and Bronxville has a new coach and something to prove.

Other scores:

Putnam Valley 15, Irvington 6
Bronxville 18, Kingston 5
Rye Country Day 14, Wooster 6
Edgemont 8, Pearl River 5
St. John the Baptist 18, Kennedy 2
Sleepy Hollow 12, Dobbs Ferry 8
Henry Hudson 19, Eastchester 7
Fox Lane 13, Brewster 3
Tappan Zee 14, Nanuet 10
Lourdes 19, Peekskill 0
Last edited by NYSection1 on Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
914laxer

Post by 914laxer »

Pretty Sad how much the quality of lacrosse in Westchester has dropped off in the past decade or so. Although I understand lacrosse has grown a lot but Westchester(Section 1) used to be one of the strongest lacrosse hotbeds in the country.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

4/8- Monday

Ridgefield 13, Briarcliff 6
Ridgefield fired up on Briacliff goalie Ian Leahy, who responded with 16 saves.

Byram Hills 13, Nanuet 8
Right now, Class C is only a battle between the Bobcats of Armonk and Rye.

John Jay 18, Harrison 1
The Indians of Katonah/Cross River and neighboring Yorktown stand alone in Class B.

Other scores:
Pearl River 15, Sleepy Hollow 8
Haldane 18, Rye Neck 3
Hackley 13, Rye Country Day 7
Blind Brook 18, Pawling 12
Kennedy 14, Mount St. Michael 3
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

914laxer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:55 pm Pretty Sad how much the quality of lacrosse in Westchester has dropped off in the past decade or so. Although I understand lacrosse has grown a lot but Westchester(Section 1) used to be one of the strongest lacrosse hotbeds in the country.
The good news is that there are many new teams in Section I/Lower Hudson Valley, including many Class D schools that have managed to field a baseball and lacrosse team despite the small number of students. There are more established teams in Class D like Bronxville, but there are also competitive new programs in D such as Westlake of Thrownwood and Pleasantvillle , both of whom made it to the state finals. Further, the Section I representatives in the NYS Catholic League have improved as well.

Of note, in 2018, Pleasantville won the NYS Class D championship. Further, Mamaroneck advanced to the Class A seminfinals where they lost by one goal and Yorktown, although upset in the Class B sectional finals by John Jay beat St. Anthony's in the regular season. Finally, John Jay advanced to the NYS Class B final, where they lost to Garden City.

In 2017, Westlake advanced to the NYS Class D final, where they lost to Christian Brothers of Syracuse, coached by Lakeland/Syracuse All American Ric Beardsley.

Then there are programs that have recent alumni contributing to major Division One programs such as Pelham grad Matt Landis who started at Notre Dame, Pelham grad Gibson Smith who is a starting close defenseman sophomore at Georgetown, Pleasantville grad Declan McDermott who is a starting freshman middie at Georgetown with 16 points, Rye grad Drew Abate who is the starting defenseman on man-down defense at Georgetown, Yorktown grad Brett Makar who is a starting freshman at close defense at Maryland. Finally, Dobbs Ferry graduated a player that started at SSM for Princeton and played exceptionally well inn Princeton's most recent Final Four appearance in Philly.

However, to your point, while the teams and rosters have increased in Section I, the best teams remain Yorktown and John Jay . Unfortunately, Yorktown, although ranked nationally, no longer enjoys the dominance it had in the '70's, '80's and '90's. The fact remains that Syracuse is one of the most elite college lacrosse programs and many of the great Cuse players came from Section I Yorktown. Yet, other teams have surpassed the Huskers. As far as Section I goes, it appears that the greatest growth is in Class A and Class D, but those Class A teams need to work harder in order compete with the likes of Ward Melville and West Islip. Class C is not as competitive as it should be and, as noted, Class B has limited depth besides Town and JJ.

Look for my next post on the decline of the Class B Lakeland Hornets after they merged with neighboring Walter Panas Panthers High School for debatable reasons, and how that impacted the Lakeland/Yorktown rivalry/Murphy Classic.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

4/9 Tuesday

Yorktown 13, Mercer Island 10
The Washingston State Mercer Island Islanders are now 8-2, with a game today versus Wilton (Conn), then Mountain Lakes (NJ) on April 13th. Credit goes to Coach Ian O'Hearn for his commitment to give his boys exposure to some of the best teams on the East Coast.

Mamaroneck 10, Lakeland/Panas 6
A statement victory by Class A Tigers over merger team Lakeland/Panas “Rebels.” Marmaroneck is 4-1 with the only loss coming from Yorktown.

L/P appears to be reaffirming itself as a significant team in Section I. However, the merger of Class B Lakeland HS lacrosse and Class B Walter Panas HS lacrosse to create a Class A lacrosse program is ironic. First, the Lakeland and Panas did not merge in other sports such as football. Second, the two schools are in close proximity and sports rivals. Third, Lakeland HS is located in the town of Yorktown where…..Yorktown High School is located.

The result of the merger did not necessarily improve the program and definitely altered the history and pride of the former Lakeland High School Hornets program; one which produced several Division One stand outs like Ric Beardsley (Syracuse), Jim Egan (Syracuse; scored two goals in the 1988 Championship victory over Cornell). They had 14 All-Americans (including 2 for Beardsley) from 1985 to 1994. Since 1994, I have found only three AA’s.That is a significant decrease.

The rivalry between Lakeland and Yorktown was legendary; some of most physical games were played between these two teams. Unfortunately, the merger did not benefit this rivalry either
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

Yorktown, the pride of Section I has a loaded schedule on the immediate horizon:
04/13 Chaminade NY LI Catholic
04/18 @ St Anthony's NY LI Catholic
04/20 @ Bridgewater-Raritan NJ 4 North
04/30 Ridgefield CT L
05/03 Lakeland/Panas NY A Sec 1
05/06 @ Wilton CT L
Oldlilaxer

Post by Oldlilaxer »

Ouch. That's quite a gauntlet.
The Husker's sure don't shy away from challenges.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”