Massachusetts

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: Massachusetts

Post by Laxxal22 »

MA public school All America first & second teams. Congrats to all who were recognized.

https://twitter.com/EMLCA2018/status/11 ... 6811229189
https://twitter.com/EMLCA2018/status/11 ... 5759854593
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

What are the general thoughts on MA playoffs lasting into the second half of June?I realize the season starts a bit later in MA, but it's kind of crazy there's still another five days until state championship games.

It's a long summer, and the best players will get recognized, but the MIAA schedule makes it so players from the best public/catholic schools miss the first couple of summer recruiting weekends. The thought occurred to me when reading the write ups of who stood out at some of the bigger tourneys last weekend. Tons of ISL & NE Prep players on Laxachusetts and Fighting Clams got write ups and honorable mentions. But not a single MA public player was mentioned, which makes sense when you look at what teams were still alive in the D 1,2, & 3 playoffs.

Now nothing can beat the feeling of playing and winning with your boys from growing up, so I'm in no way advocating skipping tourney games for summer recruiting. I just think a slightly condensed playoff schedule could help these kids get more looks.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

The MIAA is so broken. Their old boy network of former AD’s now eating at the trough as an MIAA employee is killing public school sports. They have no vision or interest in adjusting anything. As long as they get to collect their fees.....all is good in their eyes. Even the website looks like is was built in the 80’s.

I admittedly don’t have solutions but something has to be done because young athletes who want to compete at a high level in HS are looking more and more at private school options. I have seen this trend accelerate over the past 6-7 years, especially with lacrosse.

On another note: Why is St Jhon’s Shrewsbury competing in D2? I thought they were a massive boys school.
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Makes no sense that MA can't finish their tournaments on June 8th weekend like NH and CT did this year. The weather excuse makes no sense when NH starts a week or more after MA and they finished last Saturday. Playing games and practicing through finals is a joke for the kids.

It's a miracle they moved the finals to a Thursday.

Are they overhauling the seeding process next year? Heard something about Maxpreps (like an RPI) being a big factor in seeds. The lack of strength of schedule is archaic.

No idea how they come up with the divisions. The MIAA site shows student counts and it doesn't seem to matter much how many students go to the school.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MA lax fan, it's almost like you wrote this piece. Eating at the trough is right. https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2019 ... nt=event25

Back to the recruiting disadvantages of the MIAA tournament. Hingham and Duxbury (two absolute gold standards of MA public school) played what sounded like an instant classic yesterday in the south sectional. Tons of college worthy talent on both squads, but with all of the club tournaments going on up and down the east coast, I doubt anyone other than some regional D2/D3 coaches were able/willing to scout it live. A real shame.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Simple solution. Stop treating lacrosse like basketball and reduce the 20 game season to 16-18 games. It's NBA like. Given the decline of skilled play at a number (not all) schools, they would benefit from more practice, especially at the start of the season when skill development becomes compromised for game prep.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

I wish the MIAA would also take into account the kids are taking finals in mid June. Not sure what holds them back from finishing the weekend of June 8th like NH does? It would be so much better for the student athlete.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Completely uneducated guess:

LS
Winchester
Grafton
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

I think DS wins D3, Winchester D2 and LS D1.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hoping to learn more about a couple of Hobart recruits from mass if anyone might have much to share. Anyone know much about Johnny Herlihy from LS or Sam Ward from Hingham? Herlihy was named AA and we’ve had a nice run from L/S and mass last few years from Eric Holden, Dan Ryan, Cam Vona is there plus some nice contributions from Eoin hurley from catholic memoria, Jimmy lampert from wayland, Mark Synnott from BBN. Have two PGs coming from deerfield but obviously that’s NE West.

Thanks for anything anyone can share.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”