ISL Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: ISL Lacrosse

Post by Laxxal22 »

Good points about the parity. I think in part it was aided by BH and Nobles being a bit down from the past few seasons, and Rivers and Govs having some injury issues. So while the mid and lower teams definitely improved, the top also seemed a little down.

What is really interesting to me is the relative youth across the ISL this year. Seb’s, Govs, Brooks look like the teams that will be hit hard by graduation, but Nobles, Tabor, St. Mark’s, Groton, Middlesex, RL and others are set to return a ton next season. Parity should be even greater next season with higher overall level of play.

Seb’s only have five juniors on this year’s squad, and though they'll all likely be college athletes, the class is not nearly on the same level as the seniors from 17, 18, or 19. Class of 2021 looks strong, and 2022 looks absolutely loaded. I could see a 3rd-6th place finish next year, but right back in the title hunt after that. Hope this year’s squad closes out an undefeated ISL run first.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

St. Seb's are outright winners of the ISL (Seb's first solo title) with a 19-5 win over Thayer. Tomorrow they'll have a shot at finishing out league play as only the third team to go 15-0 since the full league schedule was implemented in 2003. Good luck to them.

Milton fell to Andover 12-15. Otherwise it looks like the few other games scheduled for yesterday were postponed.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Bostonlax released their midseason top 50 players. Pretty solid representation by the ISL. Injured players were not included.

1. Will Frisoli - Sr. LSM/def - St. Seb's (Duke)
2. Deven Varney - Sr. Goalie - Roxbury Latin (Penn)
4. Mike Swirbalus - Sr. Attack - St. Seb's (Duke)
10. Cam Rubin - Jr. Attack - Belmont Hill (Penn)
11. Peter Blake - Sr. Defense - St. Seb's (Penn)
12. Mike Hughes - Sr. LSM/def - Brooks (Providence)
15. Luke Moriarty - Sr. LSM/def - Govs (Princeton)
18. Colin Bergstrom - Jr. Defense - Roxbury Latin (Brown)
19. Blake Brookes - Jr. Defense - Belmont Hill (Hopkins)
22. Charlie Weitzel - Jr. Defense - Roxbury Latin (Yale)
23. Shane O’Leary - Jr. Midfield - Govs (UMass)
24. Mac Fotiades - Sr. Goalie - St. Seb's (Michigan)
25. Brian Piatelli - Sr. Attack - St. Seb's (Cornell)
27. John Dixon - Jr. Fogo/mid - Nobles (Georgetown)
31. Tommy Miller - Jr. Midfield - Rivers (VIllanova)
33. Jack Wood - Sr. Attack - Govs (Syracuse)
34. Ronan Doherty - So. LSM/def - Groton
37. Pat Ryan - Sr. Goalie - Groton (Navy)
47. Will Zink - Sr. Attack - Nobles (Middlebury)
48. Judge Murphy - Jr. Attack - Brooks
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some good rivalry games today as a lot of teams are wrapping up their seasons. Crazy how fast it went by.

St. Seb's (14-0 ISL) @ Roxbury Latin (6-8 ISL): Can the RL defense have their best game of the year and pull the upset? I can only see it if Seb's are careless, and RL deflates the hell out of the ball on offense to squeak out something like a 7-6 upset.

Govs (12-2 ISL) @ Middlesex (6-7 ISL): Govs pulled out a tough one less than 24 hours ago against Brooks. If anybody should be able to play two games in 24 hours it's 16-19 year old boys, but still could be a tough one.

Belmont Hill (11-2 ISL) @ Brooks (10-4 ISL): Same issue for Brooks as Govs. Especially as a team that doesn't have a ton of depth, they could be dragging today.

Rivers (10-4 ISL) @ Nobles (9-4 ISL): Rivers with two strong wins (including 12-2 over a prettty good Groton squad) after their surprised loss to RL. Nobles are having a dedication to McRae Williams, so expect them to come out firing.

Milton (3-10 ISL) @ Groton (6-7 ISL): Been a real rough season for MA. I think Groton should be a few goals better.

St. Mark's (5-8 ISL) @ Tabor (5-8 ISL): Both of these teams are young and could take a real step forward in the standings next year. Based on comparative scores they look quite even.

Thayer (4-10 ISL) @ St. George's (0-13 ISL): Thayer looks to bounce back after a drubbing by Seb's. Gotta be hard keep the SG players focused at this point.

Lawrence (3-10 ISL) @ BB&N (3-10 ISL): Should be a pretty good one. Though the records don't really indicate it, both programs have had stronger than usual seasons.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Sounds like Seb's-RL was a classic. RL with the ball and chance to tie it 26 seconds left, but the Arrows hang on 9-8 and complete the 15-0 ISL run. On to the Geico.
Laxlax

Post by Laxlax »

The ISL was a weaker league this year versus other years for all the reasons already mentioned. A lot of parity as a result of graduation at the usual powerhouse of Nobles, Govs, BH, and Rivers the past few years while Sebs will lose its relatively older senior class this year. Sebs has two of their best players who are graduating two-years later than others with the same birth year plus a few others who are graduating a year later than normal. The teams mentioned earlier all had that same situation the past few years and as a result there was significant parity across the league in ‘17 and ‘18. It will be good to see some of those teams with less experience shine next year after a year under their belt. The ISL is still not at the same level of some of the Long Island and Maryland programs. You can see that in the strength of schedule rankings that are provided on Inside Lacrosse. To bad the Geico event went to 4 teams as having eight provided them with a chance to get representation from these states and really have a competitive event. So for Sebs this is the last hurrah and next year will there will be even more parity in the ISL.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Laxlax, where have you been all season? I've been dying for some banter on this thread.

If Rentz and Levandowski hadn't transferred out the ISL than the class of 2019 would've probably had it's best class ever in terms of college placement, so I don't fully buy the ISL being down this year.

The only top tier team really down were Nobles. Govs just were wrecked with injuries as were Rivers early on. BH had plenty of talent, just never really clicked on offense.

Middlesex and Thayer were maybe a bit down, but Brooks, Groton, St. Mark's, Tabor, Lawrence were all stronger than usual. It felt like business as usual to me, but I see the youth as a sign that the league is getting stronger. Still behind the best of MD, NY, and West 1, but still a very strong league.

As for Seb's last hurrah, I just don't see it. They may not be on the same level as 2016-2019 next year, but they'll still have enough to beat anybody in the ISL. This year's sophs are strong, and the freshman could be on the level of this year's seniors. Also, at a time when some ISL teams still don't even have an active Twitter account, Seb's have highlight videos from every game that give an inside look into the program. As 10-15 year old boys live on Youtube, they're going to these videos and want to be a part it.
Laxlax

Post by Laxlax »

I am not sure '19 class is best ever. The '18 class across the ISL had significant placement across D1 college lacrosse programs with Sebs, Nobles, BH, and Gov's all having graduates going to top Big Ten and Ivy programs. But lets just make it simple and say overall the ISL representation across college lacrosse has grown significantly over the past few years which is fantastic for the league. This is partially the result of the increase in popularity of LAX over the past 10yrs in MA and the overall increase in skill across MA. This is what you want to see.

Those top tier teams were all down this year due to graduation rates of their primary starters who had anchored those teams since they were sophomores. The games against these top teams in '17 and '18 were nail biters as a result of the strength of the top 5 teams at the time. Look at the '17 Sebs team which was probably the most talented across the whole roster over the past few years but they lost to a tough Rivers team by a goal.

This year the players that had been practice players for the most part had to step onto the field. Sebs senior class have been playing/starting for almost the last 3yrs either starters or first off the bench. Their experience helped them win the tight games. It is great to see some of the other ISL schools do well and I expect them to do even better next year. Gov's losing one of the top FO early in the year was a big impact as he would have dominated most FO's in the league.

Admittedly the Sebs Twitter is fun but the video is getting old IMO. Sebs administration should be happy that someone or a group of people are willing to fund the video for its free advertising for the school. One of us will be right on next year's team performance.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

We're seeing things a bit differently. Let me present my case.

Belmont Hill and Rivers both graduated very small senior classes in 2018, so it's not true that they had a bunch of greenhorns stepping onto the field for the first time this season. Govs seniors this year are at least on par with what they had last year. Nobles were indeed decimated by graduation. Last season's All-ISL/HM show that these teams had plenty coming back: https://www.islsports.org/sites/islspor ... League.pdf

Seb's top 5 guys have been playing since 2017, but the rest of that class (besides maybe Kapreilian) had to wait until this year to get their minutes, especially in the midfield. Class of 2018 has six players on D1 rosters and another playing in the NESCAC, so it was a pretty big exodus of talent. I actually thought Seb's had less experience than the other teams coming into 2019, that is why I initially thought they might be the 3rd or 4th best team in the ISL during preseason.

I agree that Seb's 2017 was probably the most talented ISL team of the past few years. That team didn't fulfill expectations. This year's team exceeded expectations. If there were ISL playoffs this weekend, it's not like Seb's would kill everyone or even necessarily win. They just happened to have enough to get it done in each of their 15 contests this year. And there were just as many nail biters as 17 & 18.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

The final few games to wrap up the season. I'll probably do a season summary post or two in the next week or so, and I'll post when I see relevant news come across my twitter feed. Otherwise will be shutting it down for the summer.

Belmont Hill (12-2 ISL) @ BB&N (3-11 ISL): Should be a pretty easy W for BH.

Nobles (10-4 ISL) @ Milton (4-10 ISL): Should be a high scoring game, with Nobles doing most of the scoring.

Groton (6-8 ISL) @ St. Mark's (6-8 ISL): Kind of a coin flip IMO. Both teams will return a lot in 2020.

Tabor (5-9 ISL) @ Lawrence (4-10 ISL): Another one that should be pretty tight.

Middlesex (6-8 ISL) @ St. George's (0-14 ISL): This game was a big deal back in my day... my day was many years ago. Zebras should roll.

St. Seb's (18-0) vs. Salisbury (16-0): Interested to see how the Arrows do in D.C. Apparently Seb's are scrimmaging with their young alums this afternoon. Smart. Getting big brothered (in some cases literally) by college players today should make Salisbury a little less intimidating on Monday. Will still be a pretty steep uphill climb to get the W though.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A quick look at who could fill the ISL's three AA spots. Coming into the season there were three heavy frontrunners based on past performance. I'll start with them and then add a few more by team.

Will Frisoli, St. Seb's, Sr. LSM/def (Duke): Four year starter, top-10 national recruit, and probably the ISL's best player for the past two years. With Seb's going undefeated I'd say he's a lock for AA & ISL Player of the Year.

Michael Hughes, Brooks, Sr. LSM/def (Providence): Another 10+ point season paired with Brooks' best showing in ISL play in a few years. A two-time (soon to be three) All-ISL, he's been one of the most impactful two-way players in the league for three seasons. The best player on the best team Brooks' has ever had. Another no brainer.

Deven Varney, Roxbury Latin, Sr. goalie (Penn): A five year starter, and 3-time honorable mention All-ISL. Not sure he's had an AA season (middle of the pack Save %, no signature wins, and had great set of poles in front of him) but it could be a lifetime achievement award. I'd be fine with that, but RL have had three AAs in the past five years, so it won't be a snub to the program if he doesn't get it.

Also in consideration

Belmont Hill
Brodie Rayment, sr. M (Amherst): One of the league's top two-way middies for the past two seasons. Probably didn't put up the numbers offensively, but was a big part of BH's defensive strength.

Quinn Richards, jr. G (Air Force commit): Top save % in ISL. Led very stingy defense which BH had to lean on for Ws this season. Definitely in the mix next season.

Blake Brookes, jr. D (Hopkins commit): Scary dude coming off the bus and shutdown some of the league's top attackmen. Definitely in the mix next season.

Brooks
Judge Murphy, jr. A (Uncommitted): Led a traditionally low scoring Brooks team offensively after transferring in from Thayer.

Govs
Luke Moriarty, sr. LSM/D (Princeton): One of the ISL's top defenders for three seasons.

Jack Wood, sr. A (Syracuse): Stepped into the #1 attack spot and had a 60 point season.

Shane O'Leary, jr. M (Umass commit): Dominant athlete who took over games - including Rivers and Seb's - at points this season. Frontrunner for AA/POY next season.

Middlesex
Cole Nye, jr. M (Uncommitted): The best player on a young but surprisingly strong Middlesex team. ISL's top-scoring middie, All-ISL 9 WR, also plays varsity hockey. Longshot for AA this season, but it will be interesting to see how his recruiting ends up.

Nobles
Andrew Johnson, sr. D (Don't know): A bit forgotten as Nobles don't have the hype of last season, but Johnson was All-ISL in 2018 and honorable mention 2017.

John Dixon, jr. Mid/Fogo (Georgetown commit): Led the league in faceoffs, winning at an 83% clip. That possession advantage was huge in keeping a rebuilding Nobles team towards the top of the standings.

Rivers
Ryan Rahbany, jr. D (Uncommitted): Another player who'll be more in the mix for this next season, but the strongest longstick from a great group at Rivers.

Roxbury Latin
Colin Bergstrom, jr. D (Brown commit: Will be an impact college defender and in strong AA contention next season.

Charlie Weitzel, jr. D (Yale commit): Will be an impact college defender and in strong AA contention next season.

St. Seb's
Peter Blake, sr. D (Penn): Vocal leader on the defense. Physical and a caused turnover machine. Really put it together for senior season.

Michael Swirbalus, sr. A (Duke): Explosive. Lead the league in scoring. Big performances in big games, including game-winner, against Govs.
Laxlax

Post by Laxlax »

You could make a case that Danny Hinks, Hayden Cheek, or Nick Loring to name a few were the best players in the ISL in ‘18. Also I do wonder if there should be an age limit on these awards? Two of the three players you mention from Sebs are almost 20 and therefore they should do well against younger competition. Don’t get me wrong both are excellent players but should the awards be limited to those who have not repeated grades?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

You could also make the case for Daly, Haase, Fields, or Dziama as they had the high school stats as well nice college debuts. Still would take Frisoli first, but that's clearly subjective.

It's prep school lacrosse, the rosters are going to be more 16-19 than 15-18, and it'd be tough to give out awards if repeat students are banned. While an all-league football, hockey, or lacrosse player from a public school transferring/repeating after his sophomore year pings louder, kids repeating ninth grade at boarding schools after graduating from pre-preps, Metrowest kids repeating seventh or eighth grade when entering BH/RL/Seb's, or even parents who just waited a year to put their son in kindergarten are a lot more common, especially over the past 15-20 years. In general, financially well off parents are taking more time with boys than the Baby Boomers did. This would be reflected in an age audit of ISL lacrosse rosters, but also you'd see it in public school rosters of today vs. those of the 90s. The 17 year old senior boy is rare in public school, and I'd venture almost extinct in the ISL especially so for athletes.

In the voting for AA some of the coaches could lead a coup and say "He's too old, I'm not voting for him" but I don't know how many of them have clean hands when it comes to older players, and none of the schools except maybe St. George's are exactly saints (pun was stumbled upon) when it comes to the sports they care about. If the age of either player you're referencing violated ISL or NEPSAC rules, then they wouldn't have been allowed to play. If you're eligible to step on the field than you're eligible for accolades, but that's also my subjective opinion.
Laxlax

Post by Laxlax »

I know of plenty of single repeat athletes across ISL and other leagues. Few double repeats. Everything is subjective on who someone would take first. Do you go with the strong playmaker like a Cheek, the scorer in Loring (Dziama, Swirbalus) the defenseman in Frisoli (Bowen if expanding choices) or the goalie in Hinks , Gainey or Varney? All of them had successful High School careers and have gone on to or will go on to top academic institutions. You could surely make one heck of an All-Star team from the ISL over the past 3yrs plus. Could do the same across some other schools/leagues as well like Hingham, BCH, Xaverian, Medfield, Duxbury, and LS (I know I am missing some other great schools so apologies).

In the end a lot of strong and growing talent across the MA lacrosse world. Also a lot of really good coaches and assistant/volunteer coaches. It will be fun to watch it develop over the next 5-10yrs.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Fun year. The gap is closing (thank God). The ISL is awash with young talent, as the growth of club and 10 years of economic prosperity has a lot of families shopping around for high-level lacrosse. It's starting to feel a bit like ISL hockey. With Seb's, Govs, and Brooks as the only senior-heavy teams in 2019, the league should be tighter (and perhaps better) than ever next year. Maybe if six 4-loss teams split the title next year they'll finally do playoffs.

Here's a quickish look at how everyone did and how they look for next year.

St. Seb's (18-1, 15-0 ISL)
Despite graduating a ton from 2018 it all fell into place for the Arrows this season. Some unheralded seniors and three fantastic freshmen stepped into some roles that had questions marks and exceeded expectations. Arrows were also fortunate to avoid injuries unlike Govs and BH. They graduate 5 stars and another 4-5 solid role players, and only five juniors played varsity this year, but there's enough talent in the program to keep them in the mix next season.

Belmont Hill (14-2, 13-2 ISL)
Strange to look at a team that losses two games by four total goals and think there was something off about them this season. Some position reshuffling at the beginning, followed by more position shuffling due to injury, and the offense never really seemed to fully click. Very impressive season defensively though, with fantastic dmid, lsm, close, and goalie play. In typical BH fashion, nine of their games had a margin of two goals or less. They won seven. Pulling out close wins has been the hallmark of this BH program over the past fiver years. Next year's senior class has a few blue chips and additional strong players, so BH will be among the favorites again.

Govs (14-3, 13-2 ISL)
Big what if season for the Red Dogs as they played almost all of it without a two-time captain/D1 defender, a top 10 FOGO in the nation, a NESCAC-bound attackman, and a junior D1 longpole commit. Still they competed hard, and if OT with Seb's had gone the other way we're probably looking at Co-champs. They lose a ton, but Shane O'Leary might be the best returning player in the league, and Govs almost always have a few sophs and juniors transfer in.

Nobles (11-7, 11-4 ISL)
Pretty surprised how well Nobles did in the ISL this season after graduating a tremendous class in 2018, and starting 0-3 in non-league play. They've got a real strong program to be able to bounce back like that. Only four seniors really contributed this year, so the Dawgs will be primed to eat next year.

Rivers (13-6, 10-5 ISL)
Five league losses, four of them by just a goal. Ouch. A slow start with some injuries, a shade behind BH, Govs, Seb's in talent, and one brutal scheduling were some of the factors. They definitely graduate some talent, but I think the class of 2020 has a higher ceiling.

Brooks (13-5, 10-5 ISL)
First 10-win ISL season ever for the Bishops. Picked up nice wins over Andover and Pingree as well. They'll return their top two scorers, but after that they lose everyone... and that's not even an understatement. League win-loss record most likely flips next season.

St. Mark's (8-8, 7-8 ISL)
They lost to Middlesex by 10 in their league opener, but then were quite competitive from that point forward, with one-goal wins over RL and Groton and one-goal losses to Brooks and Govs. Lawrence Academy loss was the only other head scratcher. Really like their potential next season as six players with 25+ points return.

Middlesex (8-10, 7-8 ISL)

Not sure I ever remember a Middlesex team with eight league losses, but they actually did pretty well considering how much they needed to replace. Another team that will be well positioned for a big improvement, with the majority of the team returning and one the ISL's best in Cole Nye.

Tabor (8-10, 6-9 ISL)
Based on his first year in D1, Pat Daly probably should've nabbed one the ISL All America spots last season. Tabor definitely missed his scoring touch, but grinded out a decent record with... you guessed it, a very young team. Five 25+ point scorers return, and some solid poles as well. Another team primed for 2020.

Groton (8-9, 6-9 ISL)
This was a very competitive Groton team, led by a pretty special class of 2021. This team won with defense, largely in part of Pat Ryan is off to the Naval Academy. If they find a suitable replacement, with a couple of strong poles returning, and another year of maturation on offense Groton will have pieces to do some damage next season.

Roxbury Latin (8-9, 6-9 ISL)
Managed to play the top teams very well, losing to both BH and Seb's by 1, and beating Brooks. But they also lost to BB&N, Thayer, Groton, and St. Mark's. So kind of all over the place. They lose a very good goalie and a couple of offensive contributors, but return the best group of longsticks in the league and the bulk of their scoring. Sounding like a broken record, but they could be quite strong next season.

Thayer (5-11, 5-10 ISL)

Beat Middlesex and RL. Close losses to Belmont Hill and Brooks. Not bad for Ben Rubeor's first year in the ISL. One of the younger teams in the league. They graduate a good goalie and defender, but not a single goal or assist. Another team with the potential to be much better next season.

Lawrence (9-11, 4-11 ISL)
Real nice non league results, and the Spartans did better in the ISL than in previous years. Seems like there are more lacrosse-first athletes in the program now compared to the past when breast seemed like hockey players with lacrosse sticks. A lot of scoring returns so perhaps the program takes another step next season.

Milton (5-13, 4-11 ISL)
Rough year for the Mustangs. Apparently they were pretty young on defense, which makes sense when looking at how many goals they gave up. While other programs look like they're improving, MA is treading water at best.

BB&N (3-14, 3-12 ISL)
Young team that had a few injuries. Would defer to Laxcoach55 on thoughts for how they might look next season.

St. George's (2-17, 0-15 ISL)
Real long season for the Dragons. Kind of wonder how much longer they stay in the ISL. Basketball looks like the only boys sport where they were over .500, and there were a few sports where they didn't record a win in the ISL. Doesn't seem like SG is rowing in the same direction as the rest of the league.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

All-ISL and Honorable Mention lists have been out for a few days, but finally are in a place where I can easily cut/paste a link. https://www.islsports.org/sites/islspor ... crosse.pdf

Kind of rough that it doesn't include positions, or the other AAs besides Frisoli (Hughes, Varney) or the Academic AAs (Johnny Kantaros, Peter Blake, Andrew Johnson) but easier to track down than most NE private school leagues.

Nice to see them set the All-ISL limit at 30, including specialists, as it had morphed into a bit of a participation trophy. Also looking like a much more senior award with 19 seniors, 9 juniors,1 sophomore, 1 freshman. Honorable mention is still the wild west, but it's a big league with a lot of good players, and with such high tuitions, you better believe awards are being handed out.

With this league there's always the potential that kids transfer out/in, or hockey players (or other sports) that are going D1 will skip senior season of lacrosse, so projecting is tough. Having said that, the ISL is poised to be super competitive next year. Nine months out, I'll give Belmont Hill the nod as preseason favorites, but there will be 8-9 teams that can beat anybody on any given day next season. That hasn't remotely been the case in the past 4-5 years since I've begun to follow the league again.

Teams that are looking tough next season

Belmont Hill: 2 All-ISLD(A, D) and 4 HM (A, LSM, D, G) return. Combined with some solid returning midfield scoring and the athleticism that always fills out the roster, BH look like early favorites.

Middlesex: 2 All-ISL (M, FOGO) and 4 HM (G, A, M, D) return. Probably the most league losses the Zebras have ever suffered, but should pay dividends next year as nice specialists and one of the most athletic middies in the league will lead the way.

Nobles: 1 All-ISL (FOGO) and 5 HM (M, A, G, LSM, D) return. Very young team this year that still strung together a strong league record. They'll be right back in the mix again.

Roxbury Latin: 1 All-ISL (D) and 4 HM return (A, D, SSDM, LSM). They'll need to replace a great goalie, but otherwise a lot of reasons to feel confident. Best longsticks and the league's leading goal scorer returning.

St. Mark's: 6 HM return (A, M, M, D, FOGO, G). Strong players returning at every position. If some athletic supporting players emerge, SM could make a bid for the top 5.

Groton: 1 All-ISL (D) and 3 HM (A, A, D) return. Two more seasons with all four of these players. They'll need some middies to step up and support them.

Tabor: 4 HM (A, M, M, D) return. There were also some nice freshmen on this time won didn't receive accolades. With another year of development, and perhaps a few more transfers in like last season, and Tabor will be tough.

BB&N: 4 HM (A, M, M, D) return. Three of these returners will still only be sophomores. I don't know how much BB&N will move towards the top of the standings, but perhaps it's an indication of lacrosse gaining some traction over there.

Teams that are looking rough next season

St. Seb's: 6 All-ISL graduate: That includes the league POY. Another strong LSM and SSDM depart as well. Still plenty of talent in the program, but they need a new goalie.

Govs: 3 All-ISL and 3 HM graduate: Hit especially hard on the defensive side of the ball. Nobody reloads better than Govs though.

Brooks: 1 All-ISL/AA and 4 HM graduate: When you have a standout season as a program it's usually because of standout seniors. Return a strong keep and two attack, but lost a ton from midfield and defense.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Looks like Cooper Manzi (2022) is transferring to Tabor from Lawrence Academy. Had 20g & 16a for the Spartans this spring. Joins a talented sophomore class for the Seawolves.
JohnLaxDexter1

Post by JohnLaxDexter1 »

I'm going to be ambitious and say RL wins the ISL next year, ( this may be a little biased because of my connection to RL), they have the best D unit by far in not only the ISL, but easily Mass. They have an amazing new coach who seemed to figure out and mold the group easily as the season progressed, they probably have the strongest 2021 class in MA. I think their season will be determined on how they improve from now until the start of the season.
Bridgerbowl

Post by Bridgerbowl »

2019 Boston Lax All American Roster

Team Stallion- White Jerseys

Attack and Midfield
Michael Lampert ’19 Wayland
Michael Swirbalus ’19 St. Sebastian’s
Brian Piatelli ’19 St. Sebastian’s
Matt Ward ’19 Lincoln-Sudbury
Judge Murphy 20′ Brooks
Will Kenney ’19 Hingham
Mike Tobin ’19 Reading
Andrew Perry ’20 Xaverian
John Herlihy ’19 Lincoln-Sudbury
Matt Gill ’19 Duxbury
Jack Barron ’19 Longmeadow
Jake Erickson ’19 Acton-Boxboro
Jake Mabardy ’19 Winchester
Brodie Rayment ’19 Belmont Hill
Faceoff Midfielders
Jacob Alexander ’19 Franklin
Craig Yannone ’19 St. John’s Prep
Poles
Dylan Gardner ’19 Xaverian
Michael Hughes ’19 Brooks
Ryan Slattery ’19 North Andover
Will Frisoli ’19 St. Sebastian’s
Peter Blake ’19 St. Sebastian’s
John Schofield ’20 Medfield
Hayden Bean ’19 Winchester
Cole Biggins ’19 Duxbury
Drew Leahy ’19 St. John’s Prep
Collin Bergstrom ’20 Roxbury Latin
Goalies
Mac Fotiades ’19 St. Sebastian’s
George Egan ’19 Hingham
Teagan Alexander ’20 Xaverian

Team Surgeon – Dark Jerseys

Attack and Midfield
Jack Wood ’19 Governor’s
Matt Lazzaro ’21 Franklin
Jason Child ’19 Needham
Cam Rubin ’20 Belmont Hill
Aidan Carroll ’20 BC High
Hunter Adam ’19 Newton North
Shane O’Leary ’20 Governor’s
CJ Baroni ’19 Governor’s
Chris Cuosolito ’20 Melrose
Michael Chabra ’20 Austin Prep
Tucker Spencer ’19 Pingree
Danny Angell ’19 Littleton
Jake Higgins ’19 Hingham
Matt Rebuck ’19 Milton Academy
Kyle Smith 19′ Lincoln-Sudbury
Faceoff Midfielders
John Dixon ’20 Nobles
Charlie Egan ’19 Hingham
Poles
Ronan Doherty ’21 Groton
Johnny Kantaros ’19 Rivers
Pat Morrison ’19 Franklin
Blake Brookes ’20 Belmont Hill
Charlie Cook ’19 Concord-Carlisle
Andrew Johnson ’19 Nobles
Charlie Weitzel ’20 Roxbury Latin
Grant Latimer ’19 Pingree
Cam Raycroft ’19 Dover-Sherborn
Luke Moriarty ’19 Governor’s
Goalies
Deven Varney ’19 Roxbury Latin
Mason Fitzgerald ’19 Cohasset
Pat Ryan ’19 Groton
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

JohnLaxDexter1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 pm I'm going to be ambitious and say RL wins the ISL next year, ( this may be a little biased because of my connection to RL), they have the best D unit by far in not only the ISL, but easily Mass. They have an amazing new coach who seemed to figure out and mold the group easily as the season progressed, they probably have the strongest 2021 class in MA. I think their season will be determined on how they improve from now until the start of the season.
I definitely think RL is poised to have their best year in awhile next year. Huge loss in net with Varney graduating and two 30ish point scorers, but the longsticks are disgusting and the bulk of the offense is back.

Might take Belmont Hill's defense over RL's. Brookes has been committed to Hopkins for forever, from the sound of it Brown and Litchfield will get a lot of attention once September 1 hits, and rising soph Goguen was one of the few MA kids to make the all-star team at Maverik this week. Combine them with a D1 commit in net with Richards and it's hard to say RL has the best D unit by far. They're both pretty scary.

To me, Rivers, Belmont Hill, and Nobles look to have the top returning seniors. RL and Groton look to have top crop of rising juniors, with Belmont Hill and Thayer looking quite strong as well. For rising sophs Tabor are legit and Seb's class is ridiculous.

Belmont Hill are my early favorites, but I think there will be 8-9 teams that could beat them on any given Wednesday or Saturday. Very different from the usually quite top-heavy ISL. As I joked about a month back, could be a season where five teams with four losses are all crowned ISL Champs.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”