Virginia 6A 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
MyLongStick

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by MyLongStick »

Looking at the matchups, it appears (at least on paper) that Battlefield benefited by finishing second behind Patriot in their district. Patriot is playing the higher seed in the second round, and vice versa as it relates to Westfield playing Patriot.

Do the fine folks at the VHSL not understand how this is supposed to work.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

The current set up certainly is flawed. Chantilly probably has an easier road than both Oakton and Westfield(depending on how good you believe South Lakes is). I think Patriot and Westfield probably have the most right to be angry as they are two of my and pretty much anyone’s top 5 teams in all of 6A and one will be going home monday. Nonetheless, as a casual viewer I won’t complain, should be a great game!
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Jumboslax27 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:30 pm The current set up certainly is flawed. Chantilly probably has an easier road than both Oakton and Westfield(depending on how good you believe South Lakes is). I think Patriot and Westfield probably have the most right to be angry as they are two of my and pretty much anyone’s top 5 teams in all of 6A and one will be going home monday. Nonetheless, as a casual viewer I won’t complain, should be a great game!
I don't really don't give two shits who wins that game, I just don't understand how they don't have a full grasp of brackets and how seedings should work. It's a bit JV.
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

FXLax wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 pm As my son has graduated here's my last summary of how some of the NoVa boys did at the next level. This is D1. Will post D2/3 tomorrow. Congrats to these men who were able to play a sport and stay in college. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me (unless if you went to UNC :lol: )

Jack Flynn AF/Dominion 18 G/5 A 27 GBs
Kyle Richbourg AF/CVille 1 A 7 GB 1 CT
Jordan Cole Army/McLean 8 GB 9 CT
Jackson Newsome Brown/W&L 14 G 3 A 20 GBs
Kevin Quigley Bryant/SoCo 5 G 2 A 20 GBs
Conor Shears Bucknell/Yorktown 26 GBs 23 CTs (2nd team all Patriot League)
Parker Baddley Colgate/Battlefield 3 G 19 GB 15 CT
Chris Laclellan Drexel/Madison 7 G 2 A 8 GBs
Kevin Petrillo GTown/Westfield 2 G 2A
Darren Almodiel Hampton/Chantilly 2 G 1 A 28GB 18 CT
Ryan McLaughlin herndon/High Point 1 G 1 A
Colin Zimmerman High Point /Chantilly 1 G 1 GB 2 CT
Holden Patterson Marquette/Robinson 6 G 1 A
Kyle Brickerd Maryland/Broad Run 1 G 1 GB
Nick Cole Navy/Stone Bridge 20 G 9 A 21 GB 4 CT
Colin Meehan Navy/Chantilly 2 GB
Jack Rowlett UNC/Robinson 4 G 40 GB 20 CT
Brendan Wallace Ohio State/Chantilly 1 GB
Bryce Nalls Quinnipiac/So Co 16 GB 9 CT
Conor Jacoby Quinnipiac/Robinson 1 a 1 GB
Alex Morris Richmond/McLean 3 G 1 A 3 GB
Cory Harris UVA/Oakton 1 G 8 GB 2 CT
Justin Gibbons Michigan/McLean 2 G 1 A 2 GB
John Daniel VMI/Robinson 25 G 5 A 30 GB
Josh Drake VMI/Dominion 3 G
AJ Krstulovic VMI/Woodson 2 G 43.5% faceoffs 36 GBs
Kevin Doherty Wagner/Chantilly 9 GB 15 CT

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I know of
Nice list FX - brings back some names from the past. The person that jumps out to me (and I'm a bit surprised) is Nick Cole's production at Navy this year as a freshman.
sguy

Post by sguy »

Jumboslax27 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:30 pm The current set up certainly is flawed. Chantilly probably has an easier road than both Oakton and Westfield(depending on how good you believe South Lakes is). I think Patriot and Westfield probably have the most right to be angry as they are two of my and pretty much anyone’s top 5 teams in all of 6A and one will be going home monday. Nonetheless, as a casual viewer I won’t complain, should be a great game!

If the goal is to just get into the State Tournament then yes. But if it is to take the Title, it does not matter.
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Here's D2/D3

Austin Lison FLA Southern/Ldn Cty 3G 5A 88GBs!!! 37CT
Anthony Fraga Lenior Rhyne/Battlefield 17G 12A 22GB 5 CT - last of Battlefield pipeline?
Noah Madgwick Lenior Rhyne/Stone Bridge 2GB, 1 CT
Beltan Bryan Newberry/Fairfax 8G 10A 10GB 4CT
Jackson Miller Palm Beach Southern/Woodson 36G 23A 38GB 10 CT
CJ Stowell Saint Leo/Yorktown 21G 4A 13GB

Kyle Petrillo Amherst/Westfield 2 GB - heading to championship game!!
Connor McLean Bridgewater/Chantilly 21G 8A 19GB
Phelan Burns Bridge/W&L 6G 2A 9GB
William Jenkins Bridge/Madison 2A 8GB 7CT
Sean Wagner Cabrini/Dominion 8G 3A 39GB 20CT - take on hated Salsbury in NCAA semis in an hour!
Lucas Berry CNU/Lake Braddock 35G 6A 22GB
Miles Collins CNU/McLean 7G 12A 35GB 18CT
Alex Horgan CNU/Westfield 8G 7A 12GB
Spencer Shipman CNU/Ldn Cty 4G 6A 6GB 5CT
Aidan Fitzgerald CNU/Stone Bridge 3G 3A 35GB 14CT
Phoenix Hines CNU/S Bridge 2A 44GB 43CT!!
Will Cogan CNU/Woodson 30GB 23CT
Tyler Iriondo CNU/Robinson 4GB 5CT 36%
jordan Lee CNU/S Bridge 8G 9A 15GB 7CT
Alex Kipple Elizabethtown/Ldn Vlly 1G 2A 16GB 11CT
Evan Klipple ETown/LValley 2G
Jeremy Klipple ETown/LValley 1G 1A 53GB 30CT
Anton Kheirani Hampen Sydney/West Po 1A 31GB 13CT
Rob Maclellan Haverford/Madison 10G 22A 39GB
Kevin Rogers Lynchburg/Ldn Cty 47G 29A 30GB 7CT - huge numbers playing a tough D3 schedule
Chris White Mary Wash/Robinson 51G 9A 15GB - best hair in D3; 51 goals school record
Logan Green Mary Wash/Ldn Valley 5G 10A 6GB
Kieran Burns Mary Wash/W&L 10G 3A 22GB
Quintin Ricci Mary Wash/Oakton 1G 5A 51GB 69%faceoffs
Clark Akers Marymount/W Springfield 48G 30A 38GB
Dalton Smolens Mrymount/Ldn Vlly 34GB 29CT
Jake Stein MIT/Madison 7G 4A 7GB
Javin Re Mt Union/Chantilly 3G 1A 40GB 29CT
Zach Louie Roanoke/Hayfield 14GB
Tim Aldinger Roanoke/Yorktown 59GB 29CT
Ethan Cavin St. Vincent/Robinson 12GB 5CT
Chris Wolford Shenandoah/Robinson 22GB 16CT
Travis Yaga Susquehanna/Lake Braddock 3A 35GB 25CT
Mason Pollack Tufts/Yorktown 3G 54% saves
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

MyLongStick wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:48 pm
I don't really don't give two shits who wins that game, I just don't understand how they don't have a full grasp of brackets and how seedings should work. It's a bit JV.

That is nice. I don’t care who wins but I was planning on going and I would like to see a good lacrosse game. I guess I would prefer Westfield winning simply because I have ranked them higher then Patriot all year. Oakton-South Lakes should be a good game too but I wouldn’t be surprised if Oakton blows them out.
novalaxguy

Post by novalaxguy »

Oakton 9- South Lakes 6
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

Battlefield 6
Chantilly 4
Adriano

Post by Adriano »

Patriot 13, Westfield 12
JMlacrosse

Post by JMlacrosse »

The current set up certainly is flawed. Chantilly probably has an easier road than both Oakton and Westfield(depending on how good you believe South Lakes is). I think Patriot and Westfield probably have the most right to be angry as they are two of my and pretty much anyone’s top 5 teams in all of 6A and one will be going home monday. Nonetheless, as a casual viewer I won’t complain, should be a great game!

That is nice. I don’t care who wins but I was planning on going and I would like to see a good lacrosse game. I guess I would prefer Westfield winning simply because I have ranked them higher then Patriot all year. Oakton-South Lakes should be a good game too but I wouldn’t be surprised if Oakton blows them out.

The players and coaches gave two shits about the game tonight. Patriot played a heck of a game and our boys did, as well. You could argue that some of the match ups are a bit lopsided, but, that's the way it goes...congrats to Patriot. Good luck to all the teams left in the battle for states.
Last edited by JMlacrosse on Tue May 21, 2019 12:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

The Westfield game was the worst officiated game I've seen in a lonnnnng time. They seemed to have issues with the speed and/or physicality of the game. Way too many flags thrown and really odd calls. That crew has no business being on the field the rest of the post season.

Mistakes happen, but their abundance of mistakes had too much impact. In fairness, I haven't seen film of the game. But it sure looked really bad to the entire stadium.

Both teams fought hard and literally went "balls to the wall" till the final buzzer.
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

Oakton v Patriot should be a good one. Hard to believe both South lakes and Westfield get bounced with no chance for states - luck of the draw I guess. SL battled their hearts out tonight playing with their back up goalie and stayed close with Oakton, with the score 6-6 going into the 4th qtr. Hats off to the Cougs - lotta firepower there. It was a pleasure watching Dodson Piotrowski (Air Force), Stevie Jones (Villanova) and Jackson Cook (Shenandoah) these last 4 yrs at SL. Best of luck to everyone moving on.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Last night in Region D (Region of DEATH) after the Madison Mega-Deaths devoured Stonewall 15-5, we had three slugfests between top level squads with Oakton over South Lakes 9-6, Patriot surviving Westfield 13-12 and Battlefield edging Chantilly 6-4. Spinal Tap wishes the approximately 35 plus all region caliber players who are now turning in their jerseys and lids to their very good coaches a great summer.

Meanwhile, tonight in Region C (Region of CUPCAKES) we have a wonderful slate of delicious pastries. SOCO hosts the TCW Twinkies, West Springfield travels to Colgan for the Battle of the Tastee Cakes, Forest Park (20-8 loss to Patriot, 19-7 loss to Battlefield) is at ROBO LITE where the Oasis will be sponsored by Victoria’s Cakery (10403 Main St, Fairfax). And probably the best game in this bakery, WTW at West Po, could possibly resemble a competitive game between 2 pretty good teams.

Welcome to Northern Region 6A Lacrosse!
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

The final four is a mix of repeat matchups, with more repeats to come in the Regional Finals and Consolation Game.

I think Oakton and Madison win and meet for the 3rd time in the finals, with Patriot and Battlefield squaring off for a 3rd time for the final spot in the region.

Oakton beat Patriot 11-7, lost to Madison (2x) 8-6 and 11-6, with Patriot beating both Madison (9-6) and Battlefield (8-7), but then losing to Battlefield 10-9, and lastly, Battlefield beating Madison 11-9.

Against the Final Four

Oakton is 1-2
Patriot is 2-2
Madison is 2-2
Battlefield is 2-1

I probably screwed that up some where.
sguy

Post by sguy »

MyLongStick wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:41 am The final four is a mix of repeat matchups, with more repeats to come in the Regional Finals and Consolation Game.

I think Oakton and Madison win and meet for the 3rd time in the finals, with Patriot and Battlefield squaring off for a 3rd time for the final spot in the region.

Oakton beat Patriot 11-7, lost to Madison (2x) 8-6 and 11-6, with Patriot beating both Madison (9-6) and Battlefield (8-7), but then losing to Battlefield 10-9, and lastly, Battlefield beating Madison 11-9.

Against the Final Four

Oakton is 1-2
Patriot is 2-2
Madison is 2-2
Battlefield is 2-1

I probably screwed that up some where.
Solid assessment Sir. Oakton and Madison could play for a 4th time in the State Tournament. In 2015 Robinson and Chantilly played I believe 4 times with Robinson only winning the final matchup (the most important one) They made some great adjustments on their face-offs to get the big W.
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 am Last night in Region D (Region of DEATH) after the Madison Mega-Deaths devoured Stonewall 15-5, we had three slugfests between top level squads with Oakton over South Lakes 9-6, Patriot surviving Westfield 13-12 and Battlefield edging Chantilly 6-4. Spinal Tap wishes the approximately 35 plus all region caliber players who are now turning in their jerseys and lids to their very good coaches a great summer.

Meanwhile, tonight in Region C (Region of CUPCAKES) we have a wonderful slate of delicious pastries. SOCO hosts the TCW Twinkies, West Springfield travels to Colgan for the Battle of the Tastee Cakes, Forest Park (20-8 loss to Patriot, 19-7 loss to Battlefield) is at ROBO LITE where the Oasis will be sponsored by Victoria’s Cakery (10403 Main St, Fairfax). And probably the best game in this bakery, WTW at West Po, could possibly resemble a competitive game between 2 pretty good teams.

:lol:
Moving forward, FO play/success will become a big factor. DeSouza for Oakton dominated at the X v SL. I believe Madison and Patriot have some guns at the X as well. Not sure about Battlefield.
Cuseplayer1

Post by Cuseplayer1 »

ReLax! wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:00 pm
SpinalTap14 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 am Last night in Region D (Region of DEATH) after the Madison Mega-Deaths devoured Stonewall 15-5, we had three slugfests between top level squads with Oakton over South Lakes 9-6, Patriot surviving Westfield 13-12 and Battlefield edging Chantilly 6-4. Spinal Tap wishes the approximately 35 plus all region caliber players who are now turning in their jerseys and lids to their very good coaches a great summer.

:lol:
Moving forward, FO play/success will become a big factor. DeSouza for Oakton dominated at the X v SL. I believe Madison and Patriot have some guns at the X as well. Not sure about Battlefield.
Battlefield also has a great FO committed to Shenandoah. I believe that he will be a major key in battlefields win against Madison.
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

sguy - Robinson and Chantilly did play 4 times in 2015 and the Rams actually won the regular season game and state championship.

What stands out most from me in these multiple matchups is the impact coaching can have. In 2015, Rams were embarrassed by Chantilly in regional finals as Chantilly long poles ate up Rams O as they tried to set up and run their O. In the state championship Coach Curran, to his credit, changed things up and became much more aggressive and let his team attack the goal. Rams got multiple transition goals including 3 straight goals off the faceoff in about 30 seconds. Without Curran's changes no way Rams win that game. With teams seeing each other so much coaching adjustments do matter.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

And the FOGO stick was probably illegal.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”