Virginia 6A 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
down_the_alley

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by down_the_alley »

I've been noticing some announcements around All District for 6A. Is there some central VHSL page that shows all the District/Conference/Region whatever for VA schools?
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

down_the_alley wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:14 am I've been noticing some announcements around All District for 6A. Is there some central VHSL page that shows all the District/Conference/Region whatever for VA schools?
That would make too much sense for the VHSL to do that. Instead, you have to scour Twitter for high schools to post their own announcements. Or hope someone on here posts all of them (or even some of them).
down_the_alley

Post by down_the_alley »

VA6ALacrosse wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 pm
down_the_alley wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:14 am I've been noticing some announcements around All District for 6A. Is there some central VHSL page that shows all the District/Conference/Region whatever for VA schools?
That would make too much sense for the VHSL to do that. Instead, you have to scour Twitter for high schools to post their own announcements. Or hope someone on here posts all of them (or even some of them).
:roll: Figures.

Well congrats to those players and coaches and their families for the accolades! I'll just follow along on Top Caliber's retweets
Lax89

Post by Lax89 »

They should be in the programs at all the games tonight. Liberty District I know will be in.

Best of luck to all playing tonight!
sguy

Post by sguy »

Concord District 2019 - Congrats Boys and Coach Solomon!

Raiderlax2K

Post by Raiderlax2K »

sguy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:11 pm Concord District 2019 - Congrats Boys and Coach Solomon!

So pretty much if you got playing time you automatically got selected? Cause that’s a lot of nominations sheesh
sguy

Post by sguy »

Raiderlax2K wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:24 pm
sguy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:11 pm Concord District 2019 - Congrats Boys and Coach Solomon!

So pretty much if you got playing time you automatically got selected? Cause that’s a lot of nominations sheesh
Replying using quote to remove the image. I believe every district is the same. 1st team and 2nd team plus honorable mentions. There are a lot of great players who did not make this list. So NO not everyone with playing time got recognized.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

The most overused word in sports, "great".
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Wow, they really value LSM's in the Concorde District, especially the 4 from Madison. How much time can 4 LSM's on 1 team get?
sguy

Post by sguy »

MyLongStick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:04 am The most overused word in sports, "great".
Pathetic. These are kids, this is their time.. What the heck is wrong with you?

I don't give 2 shnits where they are from Loudoun, Fairfax or RVA. Don't be such an a$$ let them enjoy accolades. For a lot of these kids they will go college and not play lax.

Just posted Concords list because that's all I have. Would gladly post all the divisions. These kids have spent years preparing to play in hs. They deserve some love if justified. And yes there are GREAT kids that did not make the lists.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

If for easy numbers, you figure about 40 kids per roster, according to my math the District accolades go to just under 25% of all players rostered with less than 10% as first team. This is about right for honoring top players in the district. It just becomes a bit over represented by positions like LSM or Goalie. I think SGUY is 100% correct. These kids work hard kudos to them, why care if it is more than you think it should be? It may make sense to adjust the distribution a bit for goalies and LSM but there is not a FOGO category so maybe acknowledge that. I like hearing who the top players are. Please post more of this here! It does mean a lot to get accolades to the player and I will admit the parents as well. This is not the everyone gets a trophy issue which is way overstated. These kids earned a FIRST TEAM, SECOND TEAM and Honorable Mention.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

sguy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 pm
MyLongStick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:04 am The most overused word in sports, "great".

I don't give 2 shnits where they are from Loudoun, Fairfax or RVA. Don't be such an a$$ let them enjoy accolades. For a lot of these kids they will go college and not play lax.

Just posted Concords list because that's all I have. Would gladly post all the divisions. These kids have spent years preparing to play in hs. They deserve some love if justified. And yes there are GREAT kids that did not make the lists.
The players are nominated by and voted on by THE CONCORDE CONFERENCE coaches. If you have issues with the list, contact the coaches and let the kids enjoy their moment. This season will be the last for most of the kids who are graduating. Consider the time and effort put into a youth/high school career by the players and their parents. Very few will move on to college lacrosse.
whodatsay

Post by whodatsay »

Doid23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm Wow, they really value LSM's in the Concorde District, especially the 4 from Madison. How much time can 4 LSM's on 1 team get?
They are not all LSMs, they are a collection of defensive middies, long stick middies and fogos. Park is the fogo for Chantilly for example. I believe the Concord is the only district to do this to help represent players who add true value to their team, but fall through the cracks because of a statistical need from the other positions. Had any of these other players been a guy such as Nick Rowlett from Robinson last year who did more than just faceoff, they would have put them in the Midfield category.

Ideally the voting would be great if they limited some positions and added in specialty such as colleges do.

4 Attackmen
4 Midfielders
4 Defensemen
1 LSM
1 FOGO
1 Defensive Midfielder
1 Goalie

It's hard to compare an LSM to a defenseman because they play the game differently and have different jobs. It would also be nice to see who the true top specialty players are in everyone's eyes. Then you might run into a problem where someone like Rowlett who dominated both a midfielder position and faceoff position. Where do you put him? Regardless of what you think of the concord selections, those kids deserve kudos as they were clearly the best district in 6A based on regular season results. A lot of those second teamers would be easy first teamers in other conferences too. Where it does get dicey is in the HM category. Do you want to put a limitation on that or just honor the kids who worked their tails off and had to ride the top flight kid's coat tails so they were overlooked and the coaches want to reward them. Doesn't hurt anyone to have that honor to them. Would probably cause more of a problem if they didn't honor the kids.
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

To be clear, I am not commenting on whether a kid is worthy or not, haven't seen a game, just follow on the internet. I agree LSM should be a separate position, just strange to see so many of them.

It is weird that they don't have a category for FOGO, given how specialized the position has become, and how important it is to the game.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

Doid23 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:46 pm To be clear, I am not commenting on whether a kid is worthy or not, haven't seen a game, just follow on the internet. I agree LSM should be a separate position, just strange to see so many of them.

It is weird that they don't have a category for FOGO, given how specialized the position has become, and how important it is to the game.
Park from Chantilly and DeSouza from Oakton are both FOGOs, not LSMs.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

sguy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 pm

Look mom, not all kids are great players. Matter of fact, most aren't, and quite frankly don't come close to being great players.

Another butt hurt parent who can't seem to understand that "a lot of great players were left of the list" is a ridiculous sentiment. The whole foundation is very "participation trophy" esque.

I'm guessing you have reading comprehension issues. Start from first post and work your way down to mine.

It seems you have gone off the rails and decided to make up an argument for something that doesn't exist.
sguy

Post by sguy »

mylongstick

Sad, you sound educated. But I am perplexed as to why my gender is of importance here.

THIS particular list was the collaborative effort of 5 coaches representing over 200 kids. Each coach goes into the meeting fighting for players who they deem are "Great" contributors to their teams. Each year, they leave the meeting irritated that they could not get more their players recognized. Its how the system works. So they do have kids that are in fact great contributors to their teams who go without recognition. The fact that you need to twist that statement into a "participation award" is just trolling.

You look cute doing it though...

Last edited by sguy on Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

sguy wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:18 pm mylongstick

Sad, you sound educated. But I am perplexed as to why my gender is of importance here.

THIS particular list was the collaborative effort of 5 coaches representing over 200 kids. Each coach goes into the meeting fighting for players who they deem are "Great" contributors to their teams. Each year, they leave the meeting irritated that they could not get more their players recognized. Its how the system works. So they do have kids that are in fact great contributors to their teams who go without recognition. The fact that you need to twist that statement into a "participation award" is just trolling.
I'm assuming you're a mom because of your "everybody's a great player" sentiment. It's very mom-ish.

Great contributor doesnt equate to great player.

Kids can practice and play hard, be coachabe and have great attitudes. Maybe play "out of position and not complain. All great contributions to the team.

But it doesn't magically make them great players.
sguy

Post by sguy »

MyLongStick wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm assuming you're a mom because of your "everybody's a great player" sentiment. It's very mom-ish.

Great contributor doesnt equate to great player.

Kids can practice and play hard, be coachabe and have great attitudes. Maybe play "out of position and not complain. All great contributions to the team.

But it doesn't magically make them great players.
The fact that you can't acknowledge that kids can be great players EVEN if they are not on this list is just weird. There are boys being recruited to play in college that are not on the list.

You sound like my wife when she is "right". So I will give you the proper response for the situation and move on with my day. "Yes Dear"
Last edited by sguy on Thu May 09, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

You look cute doing it though...

Usually parents like you never played a sport at the collegiate level, or higher. Your idea of "great" is seriously out of whack because you strapped it up against Johnny from down the block.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”