Virginia 6A 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by wgdsr »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:36 pm Looking at the Under Armour Underclassmen rosters, I see the teams from large geographic areas such as Baltimore, Long Island, New England, the South, the Southwest, Upstate NY, the West, and more. For Virginia, it appears we are lumped into Washington DC which of course is all players from Bullis, Landon, Gonzaga, ALL PRIVATES. Did no one from Virginia public’s 6, 5 or 4 get a tryout? Will there be a Mid Atlantic UA underclass Team to accommodate our state? Last I checked, Virginia is not in Washington DC. The South is all GA, NC and FLA players. Is the process not complete or are the VA publics getting the Titanium Shaft?
i have absolutely no idea what this post is trying to say.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

sguy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 pm Wave lax was the same way - a bad joke, they fizzled out.

I think UA can survive despite our collective VA public outrage.
Under Armour All American teams are open to anyone willing to pay for a tryout and/or more importantly, willing to put themselves out there for evaluation.
Case in point, a Dominion HS player was unable to attend the Washington, DC based evals so he registered for tryouts in Long Island.
And he made the Under Armour All-American Long Island team.

So before we sing the "public school players don't get a break" blues, how many public school players tried out?
down_the_alley

Post by down_the_alley »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:36 pm Looking at the Under Armour Underclassmen rosters, I see the teams from large geographic areas such as Baltimore, Long Island, New England, the South, the Southwest, Upstate NY, the West, and more. For Virginia, it appears we are lumped into Washington DC which of course is all players from Bullis, Landon, Gonzaga, ALL PRIVATES. Did no one from Virginia public’s 6, 5 or 4 get a tryout? Will there be a Mid Atlantic UA underclass Team to accommodate our state? Last I checked, Virginia is not in Washington DC. The South is all GA, NC and FLA players. Is the process not complete or are the VA publics getting the Titanium Shaft?
Plenty of VA public kids tried out at the UA tryouts this summer. As a previous poster said, kids can and do register from different states if they don't make their home state. Case in point - you'll see a decent amount of MD/Baltimore private and public school kids trying out for D.C., cause they didn't end up making the B'More team that had earlier tryouts.

You will occasionally get a VA public school kid onto the team ... but it is fairly rare. Most rosters are filled with the DC Private school kids cause that's who the coaches and evaluators know and have seen play all year. There has been plenty of discussion in lax parent circles about UA ... they already know who they're going to pick up, so in reality only a few spots are "open" and your kid has to really shine to make callback and eventually the team.

Would I be surprised if they made a VA UA team? Not really ... would be almost guaranteed money, since kids could essentially hop to three different evals if they were inclined.

Post by 55101 »

It's too bad that the narrative and general belief is that the UA teams are pre-picked and that you have to be a private school lacrosse player in order to make the team in the DC area. I've had the opportunity to be part of the two-day evaluation process for the past several years and I can assure you that the teams are NOT chosen in advance. Now, it would be a lie to say that the coaches don't have an idea of who the players are from their respective seasons (public or private) or can't tell what school or club team they play for based on the players' chosen helmets, however no names or schools are spoken during the evaluation and selection process. As a matter of fact, no coach is permitted to submit the evaluation number of a player at the tryouts that they've coached in the spring or in club ball.

That all being said, I can understand where the false interpretation of the situation can be made since there are a lot of private school coaches doing the evaluation and a lot of private school players ultimately selected for the team. If you do not believe me when I say that the process is fair and unbiased, then there is a way that you can help fix that: convince your local public school head coach to travel to the tryouts next spring so their voice and the voice of the "public school" can be heard and well-represented.

Oh, and the teams must have been pretty well-selected since the Highlight (2021 & 2020) DC team lost in the championship to Baltimore 8-7, and the Command (2022 & 2023) DC team WON the championship in fairly convincing fashion over Philly, 9-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM0qqM02p6M
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

3 Va public school kids made the Command team last year. One made the Highlight team this year but is transferring to St Chris.
sguy

Post by sguy »

55101 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:42 am
That all being said, I can understand where the false interpretation of the situation can be made since there are a lot of private school coaches doing the evaluation and a lot of private school players ultimately selected for the team. If you do not believe me when I say that the process is fair and unbiased, then there is a way that you can help fix that: convince your local public school head coach to travel to the tryouts next spring so their voice and the voice of the "public school" can be heard and well-represented.

Oh, and the teams must have been pretty well-selected since the Highlight (2021 & 2020) DC team lost in the championship to Baltimore 8-7, and the Command (2022 & 2023) DC team WON the championship in fairly convincing fashion over Philly, 9-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM0qqM02p6M

Day 1 my son had a fantastic team that could move the ball and they were dominate and gave every player the chance to be showcased. Day 2 new players were "added" to the roster that were black holes. The offense could not move the ball without those players turning over the ball. It hurt the entire offensive side of the team. Defense certainly got more "looks". In the end the player with the 2018 UA helmet made the cut. That lack of player registration cutoff raised more funds for the tournament organizers but ultimately ticked off a lot of folks.

My take away - if your kid gets the short straw with team mates you don't get a fair shot. Folks who are known by the coaches will fare better. Ban the previous year players from wearing UA helmets and I wonder what the roster would have looked like.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Looking at the Virginia public’s mass of humanity who made post season honors - all district (from the many districts) 1st Team, 2nd Team, HM. All region (including C - The Cupcakes) 1st, 2nd, HM, and the VA all state Class 4, Class 5 and Class 6 1st Team, 2nd Team, HM, one would surmise that a few VA kids are good enough for the UA teams. Maybe next year UA can include a VA team in the mix. A bunch of these VA kids are moving on to top level NCAA programs so they must not suck. Plus, they are not paying 27K a year for high school so they can afford the tryout fee. And I bet Briar Woods, Riverside and Madison would have held their own vs the local privates this season. My 10 cents.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”