Virginia 6A 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
NOVALax2015

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by NOVALax2015 »

The win by Riverside isn't a surprise, but the margin of victory certainly is. Any reports of what happened?
Oakton and Robinson both experiencing early season let-downs, but that in itself is not a cause of concern at this point.
DadsLaxTaxi

Post by DadsLaxTaxi »

Results from last evening:

Riverside 18 Oakton 7
Dominion 9 Robinson 8
Freedom SR 8 Yorktown 3
Stone Bridge 11 Langley 5

Interesting and great to see the 5A/4A Loudoun teams take down so many 6A schools, with one more tilt coming tonight John Champe playing WT Woodson.

I'm sure with OSVALacrosse on the coaching staff, the Champe team is a sure lock, and I actually think Champe wins.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Wow - perhaps Robinson should be concerned.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 am Wow - perhaps Robinson should be concerned.
It is a good thing for the top Fairfax schools that BW does not play any of them. They do play Patriot who is getting some key players off of IR. I think this is a great trend for VA HS lacrosse to see the Loudoun 4a/5a sweep of 6a. My new top 10 NOVA Public:

1. Riverside
2. Briar Woods
3. Stone Bridge
4. Robinson
5. Patriot
6. Oakton
7. Champe
8. Freedom
9. South (Co and Lakes) Tie
10: WS Spartans

Others receiving votes: Woodson, Lake Braddock, Forrest Park, Woodgrove, LOCO, Battlefield, Colgan

This is the official ranking of Old School VA Lax aka: JC dad and now coach. Miss Driving Lax Taxi Daisey, can you let coach Ohri know that I am now coaching?
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Patriot plays BW, Riverside and Freedom off that list. They will be lucky to go 1-2 in those games.

I know they are getting key kids back, but they have other issues to negate any talent advantage they may have.
dmvlaxin

Post by dmvlaxin »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 pm
NOVALax2015 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 am Wow - perhaps Robinson should be concerned.
It is a good thing for the top Fairfax schools that BW does not play any of them. They do play Patriot who is getting some key players off of IR. I think this is a great trend for VA HS lacrosse to see the Loudoun 4a/5a sweep of 6a. My new top 10 NOVA Public:

1. Riverside
2. Briar Woods
3. Stone Bridge
4. Robinson
5. Patriot
6. Oakton
7. Champe
8. Freedom
9. South (Co and Lakes) Tie
10: WS Spartans

Others receiving votes: Woodson, Lake Braddock, Forrest Park, Woodgrove, LOCO, Battlefield, Colgan

This is the official ranking of Old School VA Lax aka: JC dad and now coach. Miss Driving Lax Taxi Daisey, can you let coach Ohri know that I am now coaching?
I like the ranking attempt but want to point out a couple of flaws:

- Dominion beat Robinson last night 9-8 yet not ranked and ROBO 4! Same w/ Madison, Robo lost by one and Madison not ranked. Call me crazy but perhaps ROBO shouldn't be on the list at 1-2!

- Oakton beat Patriot, hard to rank higher currently, unless Patriot was missing their big middie who is their main difference maker (besides FOGO)

- Don't know who Oakton lost from last year but Riverside dominated that game. The score was an accurate reflection of how the game went. If Riverside wins at the X that offense is almost unstoppable by public school standards. Patriot and BW are solid at FOGO so they stand a chance.

- Champe is a solid team, I'd put them above SB. We will find out.

- 5A next year and forward is going to be interesting w/ SB, Riverside, BW, Freedom and Champe fighting for the same division. Almost seems unfair.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Champe is headed to Class 6 next year. Will be in the same conference/district as Battlefield and Patriot.
Raiderlax2K

Post by Raiderlax2K »

Stonewall getting no love lol considering all the talent they have and players going to the next level, why is that??
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

What has Stonewall Jackson accomplished as a team to earn love? Not trying to be disrespectful - I am not familiar with them and you are certainly correct that they don't get much ink on this forum.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

My NOVA Public ranking was rushed. Thanks DMV

1. RS
2. BW
3. Dominion
4. Stone Bridge
5. John Champe
5-10: Patriot (middie was out), A bunch of random FFX schools and Freedom. I would like to keep WS there at 10 and the South's in there somewhere so I guess that leaves Oakton, Madison, and Robinson. JC win over WTW completed the sweep.

While this will not hold up, it is interesting that Loudoun is at least = to Fairfax at this early point of the season. As far as SWJ, they did have perhaps the best NOVA player in history in the ranks of alum so there is that.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Stonewall should be very good next year in football. How's that ?
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Looks like Madison took out Woodson, Robinson got by Oakton and Patriot stormed back to take out South County.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

I’ll give 6a rankings a shot:
1. Robinson- While taking Madison loss into account, I still think the Rams have the best team in 6A. Well balanced with talent everywhere I think they’ll be at or near the top all year.
2. Oakton- Good wins over Patriot, Woodson, and SoCo. Very dangerous team but seemed to hit a wall against Robo. Real test Thursday against Westfield.
3. Patriot- Oakton loss can be somewhat forgiven due to injuries but good bounce back win over Soco. Very talented squad and would love to see how they play at full health.
4. Westfield- Yet to lose with an impressive 14-6 win over a good South Lakes team. Big game vs Oakton thursday.
5. Madison- Good wins in close games. Robo win obviously huge but coulda gone either way just the same as SoCo win.
6. Yorktown- Have heard they have good young talent. Good results so far could rank higher after I actually get to see them play!
7. South County- Probably the best 1-4 team in VA. Every game could have gone the other way on any other day.
8. West Springfield- Beat South Lakes and lost to Madison and Westfield by a combined 4 goals. Certainly a dangerous spartan squad.
9. South Lakes- Despite a couple of losses, still a very talented seahawks team with some high end talent on both ends.
10. Woodson, Chantilly, Langley- Don’t really know much about all these teams but each is traditionally good. Would be surprised to see any of these teams have a losing season.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Jumbo Mumbo, your many “could go either way” comments not accurate. Good teams with smart coaches routinely win one goal games. For example, I heard last week when SOCO called a TO down by 1 with about 35 seconds left, Madison came out in some kind of junk zone, completely confusing SOCO who drew up a play vs man to man, final 7-6 Warhawks. My 6A top 5:

Patriot - surprised by recent close scores, but this team has some ballers.
ROBO - 11-6 W over Oakton brings them back to life.
Oakton - no need to panic. Will rebound from an embarrassing loss, like many great teams do.
Madison - 3 quality wins against SC, ROBO and WTW. Very young squad with talent at all positions.
Tie SOCO - very athletic and play great team defense.
Tie Westfield - lets see if the Bulldogs can beat the Big Dogs.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:10 am Jumbo Mumbo, your many “could go either way” comments not accurate. Good teams with smart coaches routinely win one goal games. For example, I heard last week when SOCO called a TO down by 1 with about 35 seconds left, Madison came out in some kind of junk zone, completely confusing SOCO who drew up a play vs man to man, final 7-6 Warhawks. My 6A top 5:

Patriot - surprised by recent close scores, but this team has some ballers.
ROBO - 11-6 W over Oakton brings them back to life.
Oakton - no need to panic. Will rebound from an embarrassing loss, like many great teams do.
Madison - 3 quality wins against SC, ROBO and WTW. Very young squad with talent at all positions.
Tie SOCO - very athletic and play great team defense.
Tie Westfield - lets see if the Bulldogs can beat the Big Dogs.
Very interesting take spinal tap. However if one team is significantly better then couldn’t it be expected that said team would be able to win by more than one goal? One goal games usually come down to a couple plays so while the better team may win more often than not it is certainly possible that either team could have won. Also interesting that you have South County(4 1-2 goal losses) ranked the exact same as Westfield(0 losses period including head to head win over SoCo). The logic you just used would be akin to me telling my kid to not eat cake because it’s bad for you and then eating a pound of cake right in front of him. But thank you for the lesson I am sure you know SO much more about lacrosse than me.
sguy

Post by sguy »

So much "unbiased" analysis here - fun to read.

I will add to the "definitive" analysis here...

Not a Madison dad - but if they won the games they deserve credit - Great Job Coach Soloman! Regardless if they won by a little or a lot. Last time I checked the "best team" is determined by who has the higher number of goals at the end of the game.

6A is the wild west this year - it has not been this exciting in many years. Great opportunity for other parts of the state to take the 6a title this year.

A whole new group of young players are stepping up this year - great to see!

VEL and other off season leagues / tournaments are for the most part wonderfully organized places for off season programs to play. Ultimately, the winners are the ones with the best weekly turnout minus their multi sport athletes. A lot of the programs focus on playing time versus winning. So you really can't put a lot of faith who showed well off season.

For Schools that are heavy multi-sport players - those kids can't justify risking injuries playing offseason lax.

Loudoun Coaches work with their teams year round within LCPS rules. So shocker - they might be closer to mid season form than Fairfax Schools at the start of the season. Rumblings I have heard about VHSL new rules could reshape things a bit for off season development.

Saying a team is on a downward slide because a youth program is weak is silly - CYA just bought a $6 million dollar facility for their 12k kids (old Nova Fieldhouse). They focus on recreational and low travel play for their community. They have only 2 boys NVYLL titles since 2003. Coaches have strict playing time rules which focus on developing the entire roster. Championships for the NVYLL are fun, but just aren't a priority. CYA feeds Oakton, Fairfax, Chantilly and Westfields (all doing well this season) It is unlikely for a Dad in the program to create a super NVYLL team because of the diversity of programs they feed. Travel programs are pushing kids away from Rec these days - not cool, but they can do what they want. Those elite travel kids if not recruited to Private HS do play for their zoned schools.

Chantilly is still sorting out their offense from the 16 kids who graduated last year. The Madison / Chantilly game will be fun to watch this week. A school of 3000 students with the right coaching will always be competitive. They made it to the semi finals last season despite being dismissed by lax power super posters last year. But you know - write them off.

finally - is it inside lacrosse or maxpreps for scoreboard this year? - its sucks not having lax power this year.
Last edited by sguy on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down_the_alley

Post by down_the_alley »

Rankings via Lax Numbers, which I believe is the new LaxPower ...

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2019&v=3546
sguy

Post by sguy »

down_the_alley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:12 pm Rankings via Lax Numbers, which I believe is the new LaxPower ...

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2019&v=3546
cool thanks!
dmvlaxin

Post by dmvlaxin »

Sguy, not sure of the offseason work of which you speak in LCPS outside VEL Loudoun teams get approx 6 Green Day's from oct. through Jan. To practice assuming weather cooperates. Don't think this is different the FCPS. Real reason for LCPS showing better is lack of private school options for the elite level players in Loudoun. As others have stated the relocation of PVI will probably change this in the next couple of years.
sguy

Post by sguy »

dmvlaxin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:47 pm Sguy, not sure of the offseason work of which you speak in LCPS outside VEL Loudoun teams get approx 6 Green Day's from oct. through Jan. To practice assuming weather cooperates. Don't think this is different the FCPS. Real reason for LCPS showing better is lack of private school options for the elite level players in Loudoun. As others have stated the relocation of PVI will probably change this in the next couple of years.
Being on the sidelines coaching your teams is a huge boost for turnout for offseason events/games.

EKLC has done a fantastic job of strengthening Freedom and JC.

Briarwood - Cavs

All done fairly - within the rules of LCPS and VHSL.

You are right about the private school recruiting - but Loudoun is already starting to feel that talent loss. SJC picked up their first WCAC title a few years back in 2017 largely thanks to critical player transferring mid year from a LCPS HS.

This player drove himself almost 40 miles each way to SJC every day.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”