HS Boys Lacrosse
grelch

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by grelch »

Taft beat AOF 15 - 10
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Deerfield-Salisbury knotted at 4-4 and heading to OT.
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Holy Cow! Deerfield was inches away from scoring with 1 second left... If it wasn't for Salisbury's goalie this game would have been over long ago...
grelch

Post by grelch »

5-4 Salisbury in DOT. Game was more even in the 2nd half, but to be very fair, Deerfield was the better team today. They just ran into a red hot Logan McNaney. Wasn't the prettiest game ever played, but it sure was hard fought. Great effort from both schools.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Deerfield just knows how to play them. 3 down 2 to go. Good thing they don’t have to be pretty.
McNaney gets the game ball.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Great game. I attended the battle. Both goalies get game balls. Will refrain from adding my thoughts about the refs. Endeavoring to make this about the kids on both teams, who left it out on the field in another West I nail biting classic. Kudos to Salisbury for a hard fought win.
laxtalker

Post by laxtalker »

grelch wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:58 pm 5-4 Salisbury in DOT. Game was more even in the 2nd half, but to be very fair, Deerfield was the better team today. They just ran into a red hot Logan McNaney. Wasn't the prettiest game ever played, but it sure was hard fought. Great effort from both schools.
Can someone explain 9 goals scored by two outstanding teams? Great goal tending? Great Defense? Bad weather? Stall ball? Zone Defense? Poor shot selection? What rules are used? Federation? NCAA without shot clock? Or NCAA with shot clock?
grelch

Post by grelch »

laxtalker wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:37 pm
grelch wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:58 pm 5-4 Salisbury in DOT. Game was more even in the 2nd half, but to be very fair, Deerfield was the better team today. They just ran into a red hot Logan McNaney. Wasn't the prettiest game ever played, but it sure was hard fought. Great effort from both schools.
Can someone explain 9 goals scored by two outstanding teams? Great goal tending? Great Defense? Bad weather? Stall ball? Zone Defense? Poor shot selection? What rules are used? Federation? NCAA without shot clock? Or NCAA with shot clock?
Great goaltending, check. Great defense, from deerfield in particular, check. Great weather. No stall ball. Couldn't tell you what defenses were employed. Good shot selection. Not sure what rules are used but there's no shot clock unless the officials deem it necessary. neither side was trying to slow the game down. It was a little sloppy for a chunk of the first period, but overall both school's attacks were stymied by excellent defending and goaltending. I thought Deerfield's middies in particular did a great job preventing any penetration. They were in Drake's grill all day long. They harassed Neill all game long. It was a battle.
Bdawg

Post by Bdawg »

It looked like the game was going to end With Deerfield scoring with one second left, but the Salisbury goalie stood tall, all day both goalies stood tall!
914laxer

Post by 914laxer »

NCAA no shot clock due to " financial reasons". Pretty funny because its 1/1000th of a students tuition at the most expensive schools in the country.
Bdawg

Post by Bdawg »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm Great game. I attended the battle. Both goalies get game balls. Will refrain from adding my thoughts about the refs. Endeavoring to make this about the kids on both teams, who left it out on the field in another West I nail biting classic. Kudos to Salisbury for a hard fought win.
Give me a little on refs on this one....calls one sided?
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

I thought both defensive schemes worked well yesterday.
IMO Deerfield had better chances but McNaney was seeing the ball and that was a huge factor.

Knights outshot them but couldn't hit the cage and when they did Pecora was solid.

There was a push called in Bury's favor late that was off camera so I didn't see what happened- it was to keep possession rather than a penalty. Other than that the refs let them play for the most part & I didn't see anything that was overt one way or another.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

914laxer wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 pm
NCAA no shot clock due to " financial reasons". Pretty funny because its 1/1000th of a students tuition at the most expensive schools in the country.
Someone else made the point earlier that not having the shot clock at the high school level right now is a good thing mainly based on the schools ability to execute it properly and effectively. And i agree with that. Not to mention the referee's abilities to do the same. This isn't aimed at the Salisbury, Deerfield game because i didn't see it... but the handful of NEW1 games I did watch in person this year, the officiating was "suspect" to say the least. And that's putting it very nicely. Add in managing a shot clock by the refs and whatever faculty/student is running the clock and it would probably be more of a delay to the overall game than speeding it up. Just my .02
Sarumsky

Post by Sarumsky »

Salisbury hit the goal post on shots at least 7 times by my count, they had the ball in Deerfield's end most of the game. A game of inches.
Friday's game against Brunswick was a much looser free flowing battle, the Knights definitely seemed a bit tight yesterday.
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Sarumsky, also important to note that Salisbury's goalie had 25+ saves... If it wasn't for him Deerfield would have taken control of the game before the end of the 3rd.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Good lord, if that's not hyperbole, 25 saves vs 4 Gs is an epic 86%. Heck, even at "just" 20 saves vs 4 Gs it's 83%. Kudos to both Gs.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

A significant number of officials who do NEW 1 & 2 games are getting on in years. For the most part can't fault mechanics or rules knowledge, just the ability to get up & down. Less of an issue with 3 man games. Majority are decent. You don't see the elite guys until the colleges are done, and most publics draw less experienced guys.

New blood is needed. As a coach, best thing I ever did was to take the officiating course and training.If you're a parent and haven't, the fewer sideline comments the better. Otherwise, let the boys play.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Here's a bit of a post-mortem on the DA v. Salisbury game.

Re: viewing. I'm not sure what you could see on the stream of the game, but attending first hand allowed for a lot of observations that I don't think a stream could convey. DA had more/better inside chances. Just a finish or two away from that one crucial goal. Ground balls about even it seemed. Not sure what the stats said there. Turnovers on both sides, with a few being "Oh, no..." as possessions were SO vital. A few small head scratchers which were understandable due to what was on the line. The atmosphere on field was tight as a snare drum. Hard hitting. Kids playing hard. Which brings me to the refs, who have had a few general comments thrown out regarding them.

Refs: Okay, I don't usually like to "go here" as in general things over the course of a game usually seem to mostly even out. And, look, DA had their chances to make the refs a non-factor, and just couldn't tip over that razor's edge for the 2 or 3 goals which were doable based on "the run of play". So we got two guys on the field in stripes. "Geriatric guy" and "bowling ball guy", let's call them. Now, I realize they need some armchair comment jockey like myself casting aspersions about their volunteer, thankless task like they need a Paul Rabil shot to the family jewels, but here goes. I counted 5 "field tilting" moments. One and Two: one minute penalties on DA where the Salisbury player utilized "embellishment and acting techniques" to "sell an Oscar worthy performance" that a slash had occurred. I realize players on both teams do this fairly regularly, but the Bowling Ball guy bought both performances hook, line and sinker - one from a bad angle, and one just planted right there in his spot where he planted himself. During the game, he only seemed to move back and forth from these two "spots", crossing midfield then settling in to that end's spot as play ping ponged back and forth. Salisbury scores on one of these man ups. Three: clear salisbury long pole to DA attackman face mask. Noticeable audible click, head lifting noticeably. Clear one minute penalty for the pole. Fourth quarter. Bowling ball guy can't find his flag or whistle. Four: Geriatric guy gives a face off win of DA to Salisbury on some unknown procedure. DA sideline is right there, and explode, flabbergasted. Clear non-understanding of whatever the rule was by official on the field. Five: face off again. DA fogo wins. Heading toward unsettled/fast break. Whistle by geriatric guy. Salisbury ball. Chip sites clear reason for no violation having occurred. Salisbury ball. Maybe others there can provide "other side of the coin" takes on these calls, but that's what I saw.

On the second "Oscar worthy performance" call I was standing near 4 or so Salisbury adult fans - maybe coaches of other sports as they had salisbury jackets on - and heard an interesting near whispered comment when that flag flew. Dude knew about Oscars and embellishments, and that one had just been performed and bought.

Aside: Gamesmanship is part of sports, but there are many professional level leagues coming down hard these days on embellishments, dives, etc. Soccer and Hockey are two of them.

Re: pipes. DA had a few, too. Salisbury did have the ultimate pipe gift - a pipe rebound which went to a Salisbury player for a gift slam dunk layup shot. After the pipe, he was the only one on the field who saw the ball until it was in the back of the net. No one else, including DA goalie, knew where it was. Gotta love it when Santa brings a sweet unexpected one like that! Better than a new knitted sweater from grammy.

Re: Defense. Both defenses get high marks. I think DA offense cracked Salisbury's a bit more, but those finishes and a wall of a Salisbury goalie stopped the ball from finding the net.

Offense: Again, it seemed about even, with a few moments where DA seemed to crack through but finishes didn't finish. Salisbury needed two behind the back shots to find the net to crack the DA goalie, who was also seeing things so well.

Ground balls very hard fought, very even seeming. Riding on both sides good, and caused turnovers and repossession of the ball.

Final thoughts: Look, this was a great game. No sour grapes here, just trying to report from the field despite being a homer of course for DA. It was a great game, and the combined goalie play is unlike anything I think I can recall at HS level, watching lots of games in NE, and the NYS playoffs and championships, now for a very long time. And the goalies weren't saving creampuffs, or gifts from shooters who should know better. They were saving very intense and high quality shots from some very good shooters. It really was epic.

Too bad we don't have that damn West I final four yet. It really will be awesome if we get it. Skip the Geico, etc. clown shows, and put in place a final four earned by regular season play, and ratchet up the pressure, and have a trophy of outright West I king sitting on the table for the taking. Teams get to have a shot at redemption, and I am sure Brunswick and DA and a few others would love a second crack at rectifying one or more "L".
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

That was not a hyperbole... I vividly remember the announcer at the beginning of the 4th saying that Bury's goalie had 21 saves. Bury's goalie then went on to save many more throughout the rest of the game. He's going to Maryland, I believe. (Correct me if I am wrong)
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Coming into the final weekend of play, with some remaining games on Wednesday. Salisbury looks to have it locked up, but they still have two tough games against Avon and Choate. Here are the current standings, with league records):
1. Salisbury (10-0)
2. Brunswick (9-1)
3. Deerfield (10-2)
4. Choate (8-3)
5. Avon (7-3)
6. Taft (5-5)
7. Trinity Pawling (4-5)
8/9 Loomis and Berkshire both at 4-7
10/11 Westminster and Hotchkiss, both at 2-8
12. Kent (1-9)
13. NMH (0-8)

Tomorrow's highlight matchup is Salisbury at Avon at 3pm. This should be a great game with a good crowd on hand. Avon is reeling a bit, coming off three straight losses, tough task ahead to beat the Sarum Knights. Other league games are Brunswick at Berkshire (3pm), Taft at Hotchkiss (2:30) and Trinity Pawling at Kent (2:30). Looks like the Westy/NMH game was scrapped.

Then Wednesday we have Salisbury at Choate. Choate is solid, could have a chance at this one. Other games are Loomis vs. Avon, Taft at TP and Westminster at Hotchkiss. Then we start that long, dark period called The Offseason. Ugh.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”