New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
ctbagataway

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by ctbagataway »

He has been in touch with his former teammates and seems to be in good spirits, but won't be on the field real soon, obviously.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

To toss another idea in the "it'll never happen" bin--what if West 1 went to two divisions? West 1A and West 1B. Call it the top 7 teams in the 1A, bottom 6 in 1B. Play everyone in your division and say 3 from the other division (at a minimum, teams could still try to play everyone if schedule permits). Playoff for the top 6 teams in the 1A and for all 6 in 1B. Winner of 1B goes to 1A the next year, bottom team from 1A goes down to 1B.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:22 pm To toss another idea in the "it'll never happen" bin--what if West 1 went to two divisions? West 1A and West 1B. Call it the top 7 teams in the 1A, bottom 6 in 1B. Play everyone in your division and say 3 from the other division (at a minimum, teams could still try to play everyone if schedule permits). Playoff for the top 6 teams in the 1A and for all 6 in 1B. Winner of 1B goes to 1A the next year, bottom team from 1A goes down to 1B.
Oooh, relegation, I am always for that, I love the relegation system. I would drop NMH from 1 preemptively and move up Millbrook. If we are going to fantasy, the winner of West-2 could swap places every year with the last placed team in 1B.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:22 pm To toss another idea in the "it'll never happen" bin--what if West 1 went to two divisions? West 1A and West 1B. Call it the top 7 teams in the 1A, bottom 6 in 1B. Play everyone in your division and say 3 from the other division (at a minimum, teams could still try to play everyone if schedule permits). Playoff for the top 6 teams in the 1A and for all 6 in 1B. Winner of 1B goes to 1A the next year, bottom team from 1A goes down to 1B.
Definitely a fan of this! Would also make almost "All" games important and competitive. One thing that is always discouraging is, at the end of the season seeing teams and players lose the will to compete. Most of this I put on the coaches (seeing as we're talking about high school kids/teenagers). But if you have a structure like you're talking about, even if your season hasn't gone as planned, winning your last couple games could mean the difference between relegation or staying in the top divisions, etc. Sounds like someone (ctbag) needs a spot on the committee to decide these things! :D
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

RumorMill wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:03 am
Definitely a fan of this! Would also make almost "All" games important and competitive. One thing that is always discouraging is, at the end of the season seeing teams and players lose the will to compete. Most of this I put on the coaches (seeing as we're talking about high school kids/teenagers). But if you have a structure like you're talking about, even if your season hasn't gone as planned, winning your last couple games could mean the difference between relegation or staying in the top divisions, etc. Sounds like someone (ctbag) needs a spot on the committee to decide these things! :D
Please explain to me how "relegation" will influence the competitive mindset of a graduating student if that student isn't a natural competitor to begin with. Seems as though the relegation concept only serves the purpose of possibly punishing the underclassmen.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

tb toad wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 am
RumorMill wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:03 am
Please explain to me how "relegation" will influence the competitive mindset of a graduating student if that student isn't a natural competitor to begin with. Seems as though the relegation concept only serves the purpose of possibly punishing the underclassmen.
Who knows, maybe it wouldn't! But, read my comment above about Coaches. A lot of the motivation with the team starts there. So with a motivated coach, hopefully it would translate to the players. And you said it yourself, maybe it would motivate the underclassmen to step up more! Any number of reasons why "relegation" could help the players to increase their compete level towards the back end of a less than stellar season. Also agree that if someone isn't a "natural competitor" to begin with this probably wouldn't be much motivation... flipping that around, if said player isn't a "natural competitor" then you're probably not looking to them as the leader under these circumstances, and hopefully your team has at least a couple (including the coach) that would step up and lead the effort. I wouldn't want my legacy as a senior to be leading a team to relegation. And finally, most likely not a concern as we won't be seeing a league scenario like this anytime soon.
914laxer

Post by 914laxer »

Last Day of the season.
only one that matters Bury vs Choate.If Bury comes out flat Chaote has a chance to win, however with all thats on the line it is tough to see that happening. My score prediction 14-8 both teams play a good game but Bury is just too good. Would Salisbury really be the first undefeated champion in the league since Taft? Can't recall a undefeated champion, and someone mentioned earlier that Taft was the last team to do in 2000 or 2001. Can someone confirm? If so it would be a great accomplishment by Bobby Wynne and crew. If Bury does win out, including Gieco(probably beating Hill) they should without a doubt be named national champions. Although Tye Xanders, who continuously overrates the MIAA and undersells New England West, will probably name Culver national champions.
grelch

Post by grelch »

One great thing about laxpower was that they maintained records and scores from way, way back. I don't know if it's still possible to search previous seasons anywhere anymore. Re: today's matchup, I actually think Choate matches up pretty well against Salisbury. They've got skill but not nearly as much, but they're big and they're physical, and if they decide to get in Salisbury's grill that could be level the playing field at least a little bit.

CRH v Salisbury should appear here: https://www.choate.edu/live-stream but I have to say that I've had trouble w/ Choate's streams. They don't seem to work for me.

TP v Taft apparently here: https://livestream.com/accounts/10616

Loomis v AOF: https://livestream.com/accounts/10616561/events/8681094

Wick's & Deerfield's seasons are over, and w/ all due respect, I'm not looking for the rest of the livestream links.
grelch

Post by grelch »

4-2 Salisbury after 1. Difficult to know what's been going on because the camera is situated in another county and I can only see specs running around a long patch of green screen. Come on Choate. You can do better than this for streaming.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

8-2 bury at half. Choate gets first goal of second half to make it 8-3. Choate doing a good job at the faceoffs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

8-3. I kind of like the fish-eye view.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Looks like AOF came from behind to beat Loomis by 3. They’re the Founders League champs. TP beat Taft by 1. That’s a nice end of season win for them. Battle of 2 halves in the CRH v Bury game. Choate bossed the 2nd half. Congrats to Salisbury! NEW 1 Champs, and undefeated! On to the Geico.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

9-5 bury final. Choate did a great job holding Bury to 1 goal in the second half. Congrats to Bury on an undefeated season and league title.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I watched the last few minutes of the stream, god, that was awful, someone tell Choate the quality of their stream is directly reflective of the academic quality of their students. They would install the lens from the Hubbell to zoom.
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Avon 15-12 over Loomis. Loomis was winning majority of the game but Avon took over in the fourth quarter. Both goalies played well despite the score line. Avon attack man #22 is legit. Loomis returns most of their core next season so we will see if they can build upon their promising season.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

So........I forgot that it was Wednesday. I guess. All games have been played now that I'm coming up for air.

With whom should I propose a bone to pick regarding the password-protected replay situation? Perhaps it's just me and a couple of other guys who give a spit, but right now I'm feeling disadvantaged :evil:
grelch

Post by grelch »

Has anyone seen St. Sebs play? They must be pretty damned good. 17-0 with wins over Malvern & Conestoga. Malvern just beat Haverford to win their tournament. And they ran the table in the NE ISL. Based on that I would have thought that Salisbury would have a battle on their hands at the Geico.
Short Stick

Post by Short Stick »

St. Seb's is a fun team to watch. They've got a few different looks on offense--Piatelli and Swirbalus at attack are a crafty combo, and Frisoli is a D-pole with legs and a bunch of goals who leads a pretty strong defensive group. Dunno if the ISL as a whole was down this year or what, but Sebs ran the table when there was relative parity in the league. Should be a good match up against the Sarum.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

grelch wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:54 pm Looks like AOF came from behind to beat Loomis by 3. They’re the Founders League champs. TP beat Taft by 1. That’s a nice end of season win for them. Battle of 2 halves in the CRH v Bury game. Choate bossed the 2nd half. Congrats to Salisbury! NEW 1 Champs, and undefeated! On to the Geico.
Thank you, Grelch, for stepping away from your parenting prerogative to sort things out for us.

I'm glad I missed the Taft game. Still frustrated by a team that has 5 DI commits on attack but a sophomore goalie and a D that seems to be just a bunch of kids they've scraped off the campus.

I'm impressed by Loomis this year. Saw one game and they just played better team lax than their opponent. They may not have a record that's as impressive as my opinion indicates, but they seem to be building a sustainable program. Same with Choate. Neither Loomis or Choate were mentioned by the experts on this thread pre-season, but both looked strong in this elite league.

AOF always has a squad that on paper should be a national contender, but fails to actually play good enough lacrosse to beat the NEWest elite and games against the NEWest mid pack are touch-and-go. There seems to be a coaching philosophy difference between AOF and DA.

DA looked awful against Torrey Pines. I knew that they had the pieces to play good lacrosse, but against a bunch of very athletic kids who have been playing together for a decade, the green opened their season looking disorganized.

Perhaps this was the objective of Coach Davies. By mid season, DA was the real deal, playing team lax like they've been together for years, and making our league proud. My admiration of Chip as a coach has grown this season. Torrey is also well coached, but if someone set up a rematch between TP and DA this weekend, I'd bet on DA. Chip has a gift for making a team out of a squad of talented kids who don't know/trust each other yet.

'wick also impressed. Sure, they're a CONNY all star squad, but see my remarks about AOF regarding all star teams. 'wick played a schedule which, if they won out, would have made them a national champion candidate. They lost to Hill, and then 'bury, but this 'wick squad was still a top ten squad as far as I'm concerned.

TP also got better as the year progressed. Lotsa youth, but all those kids are talented and committed. But if you watched Taft v 'wick, and then TP v 'wick, you'd assume TP by a half dozen when they meet Taft. TP won by one, apparently. Maybe Nic Bell is as good a coach as his press claims.

I'm hoping that the 'bury squad goes to GEICO and takes it seriously and wins 2 very tough games against 2 very gifted opponents. League pride, and all.......
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

The Knights ran the gauntlet and survived. Toughest stretch of games in the country! IMO-

Choate - Bury was a physical game. Great defensive scheme against the Knights but McNaney stole at least 3 goals from The Boars. Choate has some great athletes but they couldn’t stay with the Knights.

Great season and first undefeated season for Bury.
On to GEICO- would love to see them play Hill.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”