New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
tb toad

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by tb toad »

grelch wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm Completely meaningless pre season rankings.... but Salisbury #1?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/53742
"Meaningless" and inconsistent. National Poll has Salisbury #1 but ranked #2 regionally; also, DA ranked #14 nationally but not in the top ten regionally. Just adds to the meaninglessness of IL's polls.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

toad
I think you were looking at the 2018 Year End Regional Polls. I haven't seen a 2019 Regional Poll out yet
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Who the hell knows with pre-season polls. Looking through the poll's comments, I can't say I disagree with the 21/4 private to public ratio because I believe, for better or worse, most of the very best of the best teams are now privates but it does sadden me a bit. Long live Melville and Darien!
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

TopShelf585 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 am toad
I think you were looking at the 2018 Year End Regional Polls. I haven't seen a 2019 Regional Poll out yet
Thanks TopShelf. Pretty stupid mistake on my part; I'm just overanxious for the season to start.
MichiganLeft

Post by MichiganLeft »

Happy to come across this site.

Do not post much but always appreciate the insight, game day predictions and updates of the league and schools.

Now where the hell is NickNasty…what the heck is going on in Pawling this spring, any hope those one point losses last year are wins this year.

Go Blue
Jimmy2Times

Post by Jimmy2Times »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:10 pm Who the hell knows with pre-season polls. Looking through the poll's comments, I can't say I disagree with the 21/4 private to public ratio because I believe, for better or worse, most of the very best of the best teams are now privates but it does sadden me a bit. Long live Melville and Darien!
[Putting public schools in the same poll/category as Prep and Private Schools is absolutely ridiculous. I don't care if they have restrictions like the Founders do or not but having PG's changes the game. Not to mention the recruiting that takes place, which with the Prep schools is National and the Private schools it is from larger geographical areas than the borders of a single town.

That being said, am not complaining one bit about each of the above practices, my complaint is that they are viewing local high schools and private school under the same scope. IL and the others who put together these meaningless polls should view the two separate. /quote]
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Age old argument. Sure, publish two polls if it makes you feel better to give more teams a chance at being the intergalactic number one. The polls are nonsense in general, and the preseason ones even more so, but at the very least they give us something to talk about while we wait for the season to start. What I like about the single polls is that it has forced programs that consider themselves competitive at the national level to be more aggressive with their OOC scheduling. Consider your team the best? Then play the best. Pretty simple. Also makes your team stronger for post season play (which we don't have here in the NE West, unfortunately).
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

The only worthwhile poll is the one at the end of the year.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Looks like Deerfield is moving its annual spring trip from FL to CA. Deerfield is at Torrey Pines on March 23, 2019, which is the end of Deerfield's spring break.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

When does practice start for the schools? Or have they started already? I know scrimmages are already happening in Baltimore.
Jimmy2Times

Post by Jimmy2Times »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:36 pm Age old argument. Sure, publish two polls if it makes you feel better to give more teams a chance at being the intergalactic number one. The polls are nonsense in general, and the preseason ones even more so, but at the very least they give us something to talk about while we wait for the season to start. What I like about the single polls is that it has forced programs that consider themselves competitive at the national level to be more aggressive with their OOC scheduling. Consider your team the best? Then play the best. Pretty simple. Also makes your team stronger for post season play (which we don't have here in the NE West, unfortunately).

Not a matter of being number one, in fact, I played in the NE West, before it was called that, and am not arguing against what they do as it works for them and PG's are part of their tradition as is pursuing athletically and academically gifted students, am all for it. But if you are going to go through the process of ranking and comparing teams it should be like for like. They don't rank all the colleges together, do they? Have seen others on this board complaining that some of the Fairfield or LI teams should play the prep schools and I think that is completely ridiculous.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

US Lacrosse’s top 25 is always PG free. It’s still skewed towards private schools, and I’m sure PLENTY of them have some older boys, but outside of Culver and McDonough they’re not set up to bring in kids from all across the US and Canada. https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/media/ran ... s/national
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Culver doesn't take PG's, but just about every kid that goes there for Lacrosse is a reclass, so to me they are the same as Hill, and the West 1 schools. Not sure why they still include them in this rankings since they want to keep the PG/reclass schools out of it.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Culver doesn't take PG's, but just about every kid that goes there for Lacrosse is a reclass, so to me they are the same as Hill, and the West 1 schools. Not sure why they still include them in this rankings since they want to keep the PG/reclass schools out of it.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Justafan wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:31 pm When does practice start for the schools? Or have they started already? I know scrimmages are already happening in Baltimore.
https://twitter.com/burylax/status/1100162467920076800

Looks like Salisbury got out there yesterday. A few West 1 teams still in the NEPSAC Elite 8 and Large School hockey tournament. Do teams like Salisbury, AOF, Westy still get a big boost from the hockey guys on the lacrosse field, or has it become too competitive and/or specialized?
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

As a general statement what I have seen is that you mostly have lacrosse players that come in that will also play hockey as a secondary sport. For the kids that hockey is their first sport, many of them play lacrosse as well, but not alot of hockey first kids that are the main players on the Lacrosse field. Although probably a couple on each team. Just a gut feeling from what I have seen.
Jimmy2Times

Post by Jimmy2Times »

Justafan wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:58 pm Culver doesn't take PG's, but just about every kid that goes there for Lacrosse is a reclass, so to me they are the same as Hill, and the West 1 schools. Not sure why they still include them in this rankings since they want to keep the PG/reclass schools out of it.
[Agreed and would put all the parochial schools and MIAA schools in there as well. Chaminade, St. Anthony's, BL etc all draw kids from a wide geography and not the same as schools that are based solely on their zip code]
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Thats a good point about those other schools. Plus they have reclass kids as well. Kids that reclassed in middle school and so forth.

I really don't care how they do it, but if they are really trying to just have schools they are ranking that don't have any of this stuff, the truth is, the list would include alot more schools being left out of the rankings.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Ahhhh. Though a crust of snow still lies silently upon the mantle of the fields of CT, the fervent arguers of private/public/PG are burrowing their snow bejowled heads up through the frost heaved hills to latched their spring embolden jaws onto pre-season polls. PG is an advantage on boarding..boarding is an advantage on private... private is an advantage on public..large public is an advantage on small public..the continuity of growing up in a small public is an advantage on PG..and so it goes and so the story is told.
MartletDadlet

Post by MartletDadlet »

New England Lax Journal seems to be producing some nice content, but they've gated their content to subscribers. Anyone here have access?

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”