HS Boys Lacrosse
JBFortunato

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by JBFortunato »

4-4 Wilton ties it on a pole goal.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:22 pm 4-4 Wilton ties it on a pole goal.
5-4 Wilton now.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:23 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:22 pm 4-4 Wilton ties it on a pole goal.
5-4 Wilton now.
6-4 Wilton.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Wilton 7
Prep 6

Sullivan playing hero for the Warriors tonight... what a game from him.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Final

Wilton 7, Prep 6.

Without a doubt one of the most entertaining games of the year. Congrats to Wilton on a fairytale run that continues this Saturday and kudos to the Jesuits for a great season.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Reilly Sullivan has really emerged as a force this year for Wilton. Big tall athlete who looks like he has a bright future when he gets to college. A real shame that Reale was out for Prep but those are the breaks.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Wonderful. Back in my day, Wilton was the best public school team in the country. They will never get back there and started 1-7 vs murders row but man, how they have fought through that, the D amazing, down 3-0 early and then shut the gates vs the thing that is not like another in CT publics. Well done Warriors, well done.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Darien was up on Staples 8-3 going into 4th. Didn’t stay for the end. Long scoring drought for Staples, they were up 3-2 at one point if I remember correctly.
random observer

LordRaider wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 pm Darien was up on Staples 8-3 going into 4th. Didn’t stay for the end. Long scoring drought for Staples, they were up 3-2 at one point if I remember correctly.
Darien scored 30 seconds in and then Staples got up 3-1. Thought we might be in for another tight one like the Darien/Wilton FCIAC semi. Then Darien scored eight straight to make it 9-3. Staples closed out with a flurry in the last 2-3 minutes of the 4th quarter for a 9-6 Darien final.
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

Anyone know why Prep got a home game in the semis? Didn’t make a difference in the end, but considering the amount of shade that gets thrown at Prep, it seems odd to give one more thing for people to grumble about.
Smartlaxref

Post by Smartlaxref »

These sites were picked prior to the beginning of the season and all coaches were notified and no objections were stated.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

“I said to those guys, thank God for our defense,” Rebels coach Marty Morgan said. “A 1-0 game, and we had a catch with the [Guilford] goalie. I don’t want to take anything away from him, he had a great game, but we shot at his stick a whole bunch of times.“

He may not have “wanted” to take anything away from the kid, but he did. Why not just congratulate the kid on a great effort?

Marty should enjoy this one, because with quotes like this, teams are going to have a lot of fun stomping New Fairfield for the next few years.
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 pm “I said to those guys, thank God for our defense,” Rebels coach Marty Morgan said. “A 1-0 game, and we had a catch with the [Guilford] goalie. I don’t want to take anything away from him, he had a great game, but we shot at his stick a whole bunch of times.“

He may not have “wanted” to take anything away from the kid, but he did. Why not just congratulate the kid on a great effort?

Marty should enjoy this one, because with quotes like this, teams are going to have a lot of fun stomping New Fairfield for the next few years.
Ugh. It also implies that his players can't shoot. Just a bad comment all around.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 pm Wonderful. Back in my day, Wilton was the best public school team in the country. They will never get back there and started 1-7 vs murders row but man, how they have fought through that, the D amazing, down 3-0 early and then shut the gates vs the thing that is not like another in CT publics. Well done Warriors, well done.
Not 100% sure when "your day" was but there's absolutely no way that Wilton was the "best public school team in the country" in the 70's or 80's...anmd probably not the '90's, either. They were a top team, to be sure. But not to that level.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

BlueWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:29 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:08 pm Wonderful. Back in my day, Wilton was the best public school team in the country. They will never get back there and started 1-7 vs murders row but man, how they have fought through that, the D amazing, down 3-0 early and then shut the gates vs the thing that is not like another in CT publics. Well done Warriors, well done.
Not 100% sure when "your day" was but there's absolutely no way that Wilton was the "best public school team in the country" in the 70's or 80's...anmd probably not the '90's, either. They were a top team, to be sure. But not to that level.
Doesn't matter. Public school lax is an ersatz product. But of that substandard pool, Darien has the best talent base and is poised best for future success. I heard they're going to start getting heavily poached. We will finally see how good Coach B really is when his best players are at Wick, AOF, Bury and FP
laxfan91

Post by laxfan91 »

Hudson Pokorny did step up and make the plays, scoring 53 goals & 41 assists for a total of 94 points, which made him Darien's leading scorer for the season. He was also the MVP of the state championship game.
Interesting that Wilton with their early season losses, as well as losing both the FCIAC and State championship games, still managed to have their goalie named Ct State player of the year.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

If there was a year for a goalie to win it, this was it. Nobody on offense blew anyone away. I think the Wilton goalie's back to back 4-3 wins in the semi's and finals of the FCIAC's probably won him that title. And they did get to the state finals after those 7 losses in a row in the beginning of the year, not a bad finish.
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:43 am
Doesn't matter. Public school lax is an ersatz product. But of that substandard pool, Darien has the best talent base and is poised best for future success. I heard they're going to start getting heavily poached. We will finally see how good Coach B really is when his best players are at Wick, AOF, Bury and FP
What does that mean, "they're going to start getting heavily poached"? Like Darien hasn't been a known quantity, and prep schools didn't realize until now that they had talented players?
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

PT is just trying to stir the pot. No reason to expect that Darien will lose any more players to privates than they have in the past, which has been a fairly small percentage. Lacrosse is a huge part of that community and the kids grow up wanting to play for the high school.
random observer

Keep in mind PT is the same guy who said Wick and Salisbury would stomp St. Anthony's, claiming both teams had better lefty scorers than Brennan O'Neill. So that should tell you where his biases lie.

I echo others' amusement at the notion that teams will "start" to poach Darien's player pool. They may not lose as many as Greenwich, but Darien has been ceding players to most of the NEW-1 programs for years. There were roughly 20 Darien players on NEW-1 varsity rosters this year, many in key roles (including not one, but two goalies that made all league).

As for POY, I don't think there can be many complaints about Calabrese winning. Pokorny was a strong leader and Darien's offensive MVP for sure, but not the kind of matchup nightmare that McGovern and Minicus were last year. Against teams with an elite cover pole, he was more of a carry guy and off-ball threat.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”