Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
Chesedice

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by Chesedice »

Looked at the CIAC records and potential state matchups. As far as rating points and tiebreakers go, do teams receive rating points for out of state victories, as well as points for out of state opponent victories, as they do for in state opponents?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I believe they do but only if they are playing same rule, for instance wins vs West-1 would not count
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Prep 14
Hand 5

FP looks to be hitting their stride at the right time. They've won 7 in a row, including both out of state games against BC High and Salesianum. Faceoffs and consistent defense will be the difference maker if this is the year they return to the top.
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

What a night in the FCIAC.

New Canaan 11
Ridgefield 10

Wilton 4
Darien 3

Rams with a buzzer beater to win. Warriors with a stout defensive effort. Couple of fantastic games
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

It wasn't a pretty game but Wilton did what they needed to do to win. Great defensive effort. I have to admit I didn't see that coming the way Darien beat NC last weekend. They didn't look like the same team on the field tonight. FCIAC finals should be fun. And now L just got more interesting.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

JesuitLax1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:03 pm Prep 14
Hand 5

FP looks to be hitting their stride at the right time. They've won 7 in a row, including both out of state games against BC High and Salesianum. Faceoffs and consistent defense will be the difference maker if this is the year they return to the top.
BC High and Salesianum are each having a down year. As is Hand.
Prep won almost every faceoff today, and scored on numerous man ups. Their D1 attack squad couldn't score without a pick because the Hand poles are animals, and the goalie is a stud.
Hand lost their faceoff guy long ago, as well as Swank, their best offensive player. They have played most of the season without various key players.
And if we're being really honest, Prep in the SCC for lacrosse is ludicrous. Prep is a collection of all star players from different towns, it's a miracle that Hand, Guilford and Cheshire, who field a team of town players every single year, ever beat Prep - or Xavier - as Hand did last year.
Prep doesn't have the slightest chance of winning a statie this season. I don't even think they could beat New Fairfield.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Quite a showing by Wilton tonight beating the Wave. At the risk of breaking my arm patting myself on the back, I thought i would copy my post from last month when some were writing off the warriors.
DuckLax wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:29 am And no rest for the weary in Wilton, as their murderers row of a schedule has them up against Darien and Chaminade (the first team to make O'Neill's StA's squad look like mere mortals) next week, which means that by this time next week I could be contemplating referring to Wilton as the "best 1-7 team in the northeast".
Lotta parity across L this season. Should be a fun tournament season.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:01 pm
JesuitLax1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:03 pm Prep 14
Hand 5

BC High and Salesianum are each having a down year. As is Hand.
Prep won almost every faceoff today, and scored on numerous man ups. Their D1 attack squad couldn't score without a pick because the Hand poles are animals, and the goalie is a stud.
Hand lost their faceoff guy long ago, as well as Swank, their best offensive player. They have played most of the season without various key players.
And if we're being really honest, Prep in the SCC for lacrosse is ludicrous. Prep is a collection of all star players from different towns, it's a miracle that Hand, Guilford and Cheshire, who field a team of town players every single year, ever beat Prep - or Xavier - as Hand did last year.
Prep doesn't have the slightest chance of winning a statie this season. I don't even think they could beat New Fairfield.
I don't think it's fair to say they have no chance... they played tough games against Chaminade and New Canaan (both games were very winnable). L is wide-open and I'd take Prep to make the semi-finals at least (obvious bias aside). I don't know anything about New Fairfield other than that Saint A's ran them off the field.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

JesuitLax1 ... think twice before posting in this forum. It’s like taking a midnight swim at Tod’s Point ... not the wisest thing to do with sharks in the water.

This may be one of the weaker quotes of the season, sounding more like sour grapes.

Who cares if they score off of picks or not? Are you actually complaining about running a good offense? Prep’s two “D1 attack” each put up 4G on that “stud” goalie. Two mids combined for another 6G.

The only beast on the Hand squad is Swank, but even if he was healthy, it wouldn’t have been enough. Hope that he makes it back for states.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Prep 14
Hand 5

Their D1 attack squad couldn't score without a pick ......

..........Prep doesn't have the slightest chance of winning a statie this season. I don't even think they could beat New Fairfield.
Umm, I think using a 14-5 win as a reason they cant compete for the L champ is a tough argument. And i wont even engage in discussion about the "pick" comment. :lol:

The Wilton win last night (who Prep beat by 4), and their tight games (albeit losses) with Chaminade and NC make it clear Prep certainly CAN challenge for the L this year....the field is truly wide open. It will all come down to who peaks at the right time, which goalies get hot.

I think the winner could include any one of the following:

Darien
NC
Prep
Ridgefield
Wilton (long shot but cant count them out after last night)

and yes, if NF was in L, i would say they had a very legitimate shot too.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Agree that NF would be in this year’s mix if they were in Class L. Hoping that all of the teams mentioned show up with their best games and that we see an exciting tournament.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

DuckLax wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:42 am
Prep 14
Hand 5

..........Prep doesn't have the slightest chance of winning a statie this season. I don't even think they could beat New Fairfield.
Umm, I think using a 14-5 win as a reason they cant compete for the L champ is a tough argument. And i wont even engage in discussion about the "pick" comment. :lol:

The Wilton win last night (who Prep beat by 4), and their tight games (albeit losses) with Chaminade and NC make it clear Prep certainly CAN challenge for the L this year....the field is truly wide open. It will all come down to who peaks at the right time, which goalies get hot.

Darien
NC
Prep
Ridgefield

I'm not saying any more about Prep or picks, the kids are doing the best they can and playing hard.
The game was 7-4 at the half. Hand's poles and goalie kept them in the game, as they have in many games this season. Prep had the ball for 96% of the third quarter, much of that man up, thus ballgame. The score belies the nature of the victory: if you saw the game, you would have a different opinion of it as a talking point for Prep's chances in L.
Regarding Prep's victory over Wilton, that was six weeks ago. It was a very different Wilton team that outplayed Darien last night, it was the Wilton team that many thought we would see all season. They are peaking now, and I think they have a legitimate chance to run the table.
As for NF, I think they would have a good chance to win L - particularly if they had their favorite ref along to call the occasional stick check penalty. 8-) We can laugh about that now, right?
Enjoy the state tournaments boys.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JBFortunato wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:19 am
DuckLax wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:42 am
Prep 14
Hand 5

Darien
NC
Prep
Ridgefield

I'm not saying any more about Prep or picks, the kids are doing the best they can and playing hard.
The game was 7-4 at the half. Hand's poles and goalie kept them in the game, as they have in many games this season. Prep had the ball for 96% of the third quarter, much of that man up, thus ballgame. The score belies the nature of the victory: if you saw the game, you would have a different opinion of it as a talking point for Prep's chances in L.
Regarding Prep's victory over Wilton, that was six weeks ago. It was a very different Wilton team that outplayed Darien last night, it was the Wilton team that many thought we would see all season. They are peaking now, and I think they have a legitimate chance to run the table.
As for NF, I think they would have a good chance to win L - particularly if they had their favorite ref along to call the occasional stick check penalty. 8-) We can laugh about that now, right?
Enjoy the state tournaments boys.
Peaking with 4 goals? It was a great win but 4 goals?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

CIAC Brackets are out.
https://www.gametimect.com/2019-ciac-bo ... -pairings/
The seedings are always worth a chuckle. Glastonbury and Simsbury ranked higher than NC and Darien? Of course! :roll:
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Lousy calls by the FCIAC and SCC postponing tonight’s conference championships. Don’t they know that weather forecast is never right?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

??? Forecast wasn’t even bad. Why the heck would they have postponed
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

A bit of an axe to grind here in a place where I rarely have one - but Marty keeping his first line unit in the SWC Championship Game when it was 13-0 with a running clock seems a bit off to me. There will be little/no competition left for the Rebels in the Class M playoffs, and with Weston ranked #9 in the GameTimeCT poll, was this his way of "making a statement"? If it was, thinking it would have been more sportsmanlike to have remained silent.

Marty knew years ago that he was going to have this team. Great job scheduling St. A's and even Glastonbury and Staples...but wouldn't the other big FCIAC programs even give him a sniff when these things were being drawn up? Is New Canaan still smarting over the fog bowl game in 2010? Are Wilton, Ridgefield and Darien that reluctant to take on an in-state "upstart"? Scheduling isn't easy, I get it...but this team was very much on the radar as 7th graders and a viable top shelf opponent for any of the top teams in this state - or any other for that matter. Shame that they only had one real test this entire season.

But given all that, there's still no need to rub it in on a conference rival, especially since there are years where the cupboard won't be quite as full as it is now. After all, revenge is a dish best served cold.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

BlueWarrior wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 am But given all that, there's still no need to rub it in on a conference rival, especially since there are years where the cupboard won't be quite as full as it is now. After all, revenge is a dish best served cold.
The dish wont be too cold when its paid back as I think the cupboard is not only not full, but pretty bare, for Marty next season, and Weston really only loses one impact player.

Kinda surprised Marty needed to "make a statement" (assuming that was true, as i wasn't at game), given he will likely skate through M this year, since his only potential competition seems to be Guilford (who to their credit gave NF a run for their $ last year),and a Swank-less Hand (his 4g last year in the finals vs NF kept them in it).
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

DuckLax wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:31 pm
BlueWarrior wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:31 am But given all that, there's still no need to rub it in on a conference rival, especially since there are years where the cupboard won't be quite as full as it is now. After all, revenge is a dish best served cold.
The dish wont be too cold when its paid back as I think the cupboard is not only not full, but pretty bare, for Marty next season, and Weston really only loses one impact player.

Kinda surprised Marty needed to "make a statement" (assuming that was true, as i wasn't at game), given he will likely skate through M this year, since his only potential competition seems to be Guilford (who to their credit gave NF a run for their $ last year),and a Swank-less Hand (his 4g last year in the finals vs NF kept them in it).
Weston loses Werner, the heart and soul of that team, one of the craftiest players in the state. They will have to adjust to life without his leadership and enthusiasm next year. That said, unless NF has another crop of special players under wraps, it will probably be a long few years upcoming for that program. And after their reign of terror the last few years, no shortage of folks pretty pleased about that I would think.
I don't see how NF can lose M this season. They're very skilled, and most importantly play so well together. I think Hand is the only team in M with the spirit and history of success to believe they can win a game like that. But, they are crippled by injury, and have sorely missed several players who graduated last year. If their defense can play their best game, perhaps they can make it interesting. Guilford has had a great year, but without Ring playing the role of Bugs Bunny in last year's game - taking faces, playing attack and LSM - I don't see how they would have even been close in that game. Different team this year obviously, and their goalie has played well, so you never know.
Best time of the year, should be fun to see how it turns out.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

The old LP Forum would have been abuzz with the news that Greenwich had to come from behind to beat...SHELTON. I know the Cards are down, but this is a monumental moment. yes, the gaels will graduate 10 players, but for a program that has never been on the radar to simply be in the mix against a name program is great. I remember a time where Shelton kids had to go play in other CONNY youth programs. Then along came Bob Clarke and others - great to see them generate some positive results. Hope it continues.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”