Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
Rockhopper

Connecticut 2019

Post by Rockhopper »

Hoping that we get a migration of followers from the now defunct LP.
pcowlax

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by pcowlax »

It looks like that is it then. What a damn shame, so many enjoyable years bantering with and learning from so many great lacrosse fans. I too certainly hope many migrate here but (no disrespect to Matt) I doubt it will ever be able to match the heights of LP with hundreds of frequent posters, thousands of lurker, complete game scores and recruit listings. Regardless, lets help build it as best as we can.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LaxPower couldn't match the heights of LaxPower. The numbers have been declining rapidly for years. Make no mistake, there was a golden age for LaxPower. But that Golden Age has been in LaxPower's rearview mirror for years. When LaxPower was firing on all cylinders, it basically had a monopoly on "digital lacrosse media". Obviously that changed.

re: Posters and lurkers... TBD. We'll see. For me, whether there's 2 people who want to discuss HS lacrosse or 2,000, I'm happy. I simply like to discuss HS lacrosse. With this said, I'm aware that others prefer a more Times Square atmosphere so... TBD. I have some thoughts and ideas but TBD.

re: Recruiting list... With Ty's Recruiting Rundown folding into Inside Lacrosse, I think Inside Lacrosse has this covered. Granted, it'd be better if everything was under one umbrella, it'd be better if we had control over the data so we could parse as we see fit, but... I think our best bet is to have links to this stuff.

re: Game Scores... THAT ONE I'm bothered by. This one's a longer discussion and i'm already talking too much so I'll spare you. But, yes, that one bothers me. That one and all the lost discussions.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I really liked having all of the schedules linked on LP. Made it a lot easier to compare teams, as you could click from team to team from the schedules. If someone can make that easy to input, I'm sure we could find volunteers to input game schedules.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

Staples HS has selected Will Koshansky, New Canaan's Defensive Coordinator, as their new Head Coach. Great hire by The Wreckers.
Chesedice

Post by Chesedice »

Here's a list of seniors (2019s) from the CIAC who have verbally committed to play in college.

Bunnell: 1
Jarrod Davis (FO/Quinnipiac University)

Conard: 1
Cole Johnson (Defense/Hamilton College)

Daniel Hand: 3
Ryley Brohel (Defense/Florida Southern University) .... Ryan Flynn (Defense/Skidmore College) .... Tommy Swank (Attack/Tufts University)

Darien: 5
Ryan Darby (Midfield/Colby College) .... Tom Hellman (Midfield/US Air Force Academy) .... Henri Pfeifle (Midfield/Drexel) .... Hudson Pokorny (Attack/Washington & Lee) .... Tyler Strub (Defense/University of Massachusetts-Amherst)

East Catholic: 1
Jake Tellers (Attack/Quinnipiac University)

East Lyme: 1
James McCoy (Midfield/Hartford University)

Fairfield Prep: 6
Connor Boyle (Midfield/University of Vermont) .... Ethan Grandolfo (Attack/US Air Force Academy) .... Finn O'Connor (Goalie/Middlebury College) .... Mason Reale (Attack/Villanova University) .... Tim Rohach (Attack/Quinnipiac University) .... Tom Walton (Midfield/University of Vermont)

Glastonbury: 1
Justin Hazzard (Attack/Wesleyan University)

Greenwich: 1
Jack Feda (Attack/Bucknell University)

Guilford: 1
John DeLucia (Attack/Quinnipiac University)

Immaculate: 2
Dan Manning (Defense/University of Vermont) .... Tim Manning (Defense/University of Vermont)

New Canaan: 6
Matt Cosco (Midfield/Furman University) .... George Dumbauld (Defense/Drexel University) .... Walker Ker (LSM/Boston University) .... Carl Mazabras (Goalie/Ohio Wesleyan University) .... Tim Norton (FO/University of Vermont) .... Quintin O'Connell (Midfield/University of North Carolina)

New Fairfield: 3
Nick Alviti (LSM/University of Vermont) .... John Morgan (Midfield/Sacred Heart University) .... Brett Tenaglia (Attack/Furman University)

Newtown: 1
Tucker Garrity (Midfield/Jacksonville University)

Ridgefield: 1
Dan Parson (Goalie/Bucknell University)

Shelton: 4
Jack Carr (Defense/University of Massachusetts - Amherst) .... Connor Greene (Midfield/Eastern Connecticut University) .... Nick Pavone (Attack/University of Tampa) .... Jake Roberts (Defense/University of Tampa)

Simsbury: 1
Torben Wunderle (Attack/Hamilton College)

St. Joseph's: 1
Phil Pasmeg (Defense/Hofstra University)

Staples: 3
Jack Dorsey (Defense/Hamilton College) .... Donny Macaluso (Defense/Fairfield University) .... Blake Runkle (Defense/SUNY Albany)

Trumbull: 2
Harrison Bowen (Defense/St. John's University) .... Andrew Tinnesz (Midfield/Ithaca College)

Waterford : 1
Caleb Holdridge (Attack/Manhattan College)

Weston: 1
Ryan Werner (Attack/Trinity College)

Wilton: 4
Andrew Calabrese (Goalie/US Naval Academy) ... Dean Dannino, (College of the Holy Cross) .... Tyler Previtte (Defense/US Air Force Academy) .... Ryan Schriber (Defense/University of Michigan)

Xavier: 1
Aidan O'Donnell (Defense/Marquette University)
Last edited by Chesedice on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

LaxLessons/Lacrosse Insider's TriState Top 100 list is out and names Evan Zinn as one of the top ten HS players in the TriState area. Umm ... isn't he a freshman at Hopkins and ranked #7 on the IL Top 100 Freshman?
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Rockhopper wrote:LaxLessons/Lacrosse Insider's TriState Top 100 list is out and names Evan Zinn as one of the top ten HS players in the TriState area. Umm ... isn't he a freshman at Hopkins and ranked #7 on the IL Top 100 Freshman?
Yes he is. Just shows how little thought went into that list. It was actually pathetic.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

To be fair, if he were playing for Staples this spring he would indeed be a top ten player in the tristate! :lol:
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Two FCIAC players made Inside Lacrosse's top 100 senior rankings:

#29 Ryan Schriber (Michigan)

#75 Quintin O'Connell (North Carolina)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Darien's Will Hamernick named captain at Bryant. Not that interesting but it's the off-season...
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

It's that time of year CT lax community.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR: The 13th Annual Sticks for Soldiers Thanksgiving Lacrosse Classic is set for Saturday, November 24th at Fairfield Ludlowe High School.

Help us give thanks to men & women who changed their lives to protect ours.

We look forward to seeing you all as we show our support for our 2018 Honorees.

We'll share tournament updates here, or you can follow us on Instagram & Twitter @sticks4soldiers.

ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Ten days 'til the 13th annual Sticks for Soldiers Thanksgiving Lacrosse Classic. Here's a list of the fine programs that will be representing this year. Stay tuned, our honoree announcement is coming soon!

DuckLax

Re: Connecticut 2019 - "19 for '19"

Post by DuckLax »

19 for '19 - An attempt at a list of CT HS Class of 2019 Offensive Players to Watch

To help cure the winter blues, below are some brief thoughts, highlight reels, and 2018 stats (when available) of some of the CT HS offensive players coming back to Class L and M for their Senior season in 2019. The list tries to highlight those expected to put up some big #s this coming spring, with some thought about their respective teams' prospects for 2019. I apologize ahead for those I missed. Listed below in order of 2018 point totals (if available, with top stats in each category shown in red):

Tucker Garrity M-(Newtown/Jacksonville) 129 Pts (69G/60A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox1vTuim6mQ
Based on available stats, Garrity appears to be the leading CT point leader among returning players. 129 Pts are MONSTER numbers, especially from a kid who is not a household name south of I-84 (ok, I know Newtown is technically south of I-84, but you get my point). Regardless of his exposure, SERIOUS props for numbers like that. Yes, Newtown doesn’t play a full FCIAC-caliber schedule, but those stats include games against legit teams like NF, Gbury, Mamaroneck, etc. Newtown came close to making some noise in 2018 (OT loss to G’bury in the Class L qtr finals), so who knows for ’19?

John Delucia -A (Guilford/Quinnipiac) 104 Pts (60G/44A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-ZW-1NFRY
One of only two on this list of returning Seniors with a 100 pt season in 2018, DeLucia has impressively put up big #s for 3 straight years for Guilford; unfortunately he loses his partner in crime with Ring’s departure for prep hockey this year. Too bad, as much of the Indian’s offense was generated from DeLucia/Ring 2-man games, which was fun to watch. We will see if he can continue with these flashy #s with less support around him, and try to make Guilford relevant again in both the SEC and Class M.

Tom Swank – A (Daniel Hand/Tufts) 95 Pts (71G/24A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWnWh32uYWo
With stats that appear to make him the 2018 CT leading goal scorer among the class of 2019, and a cannon of a shot, Swank carried the Hand offense last year to the brink of a Class M state championship (insert obligatory illegal stick penalty reference here) for the third straight year, including netting 4G in their loss to NF. But patience for Hand’s annual bridesmaid role may be growing a bit thin up at the Surf Club. With a core of seniors that have three years experience of making the final Class M weekend, including stud Fitzmaurice in goal, is this the year that the Tigers finally break through?

Mason Reale -A (Fairfield Prep/Villanova) – 95 pts (60G/35A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6jgBvR1fWg
Reale was the first big-name CT recruit for the 2019 class, and when paired with linemate Grandolfo, they represent one of the better attack duos the state has seen not wearing a D on their helmet since G’bury’s Hawkins/Jacoby a few years ago. Turn your back and the shifty Reale has the ball in the back of the net. Add two returning studs at mid in Walton and Boyle (both UVM) and a strong stopper………does that add up to a deeper run towards an L title for prep? Or is the real question can Neimi work his magic to turn a bunch of stars into a cohesive team that contends for the Class L title?

John Morgan - A (New Fairfield/Sacred Heart) – 95 Pts (40G/55A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJXI0vtjT4
It aint easy being a coach’s son. Even harder when you are part of a class of NF seniors that has been raved about since their CONNY days……..but everyone loves a feeder, and dropping 55As makes you LOTS of friends. Tenaglia and their pole may get more press, but someones gotta dish the rock. And Morgan does that.

Brett Tenaglia – A (New Fairfield/Furman) 94 PTs (55G/39A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5pB4oH5jo
I think Tenaglia may have missed a portion of last season and still put up impressive #s. No one causes more havoc than a lefty attackman, and Tenaglia is a tough match up for everyone they play. After losing some fire power at mid to graduation, will more of Marty’s offense have to run through the A. Most have already anointed NF 2019 Class M champs……will be interesting to see if they can live up to the hype….they did last year.

Ethan Grandolfo – A (Fairfield Prep/Air Force) 83 Pts (53G/30A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7I8D9Br0FY
Reale seems to get all the press, but Grandolfo is the Prep attackman that makes many opposing coaches lose sleep. Maybe the best dodger in the state? He’s another nasty lefty, and his throttle is always WFO. Hard nosed kid who is fun to watch.

Justin Hazard – A (Glastonbury/Wesleyan) – 81 Pts (33G/48A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHu5reF1OuQ
He’s not flashy but at the end of the game he’s always got #s in the box score. A smart feeder, Hazard will spread the ball around to a strong group of returning finishers. G’bury is always hanging around come June, and this year they’ve got guys who have had time to gel for several years. Is this the year the north makes a statement?

Ryan Werner – M (Weston/Trinity) – 80 Pts (54G/26A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QToeXOLUDls
Physical attackman put up nice numbers as a junior. With some additional good young talent at both A and D, Weston seems to be headed the right direction within the SWC and Class M. Do they have what it takes to hang with NF and Hand to challenge for a championship?

Wes Carpenter – M (Ridgefield/Tufts) – 77 Pts (47G/30A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd_wnDq0zTE
The big lefty was a major driver of Ridgefield’s offense last year, including leading the team with 4 goals when they shocked the world with their upset of Darien in the Class L championship game. Ridgefield is a well rounded team that I would expect will use last season’s momentum to continue to elevate their game, even in a post- Gatto world, although its gonna be tough to live up to last year’s standard.

Liam Ford – M – (New Fairfield/York) 70 Pts (44G/26A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q6C3Ssf_eo
Another one of the famous NF class of 2019, Ford put up big #s last season for Marty, including 4G in their Class M championship win. Lanky middie isn’t afraid of contact and creates havoc in NF’s transition game.

Zach Hochman – M (ND WH / UMass) – 68 Pts (59G/9A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxcUxR-og-0
Hochman set a single season goal record for NDWH last year with 59G, leading them to the semis of Class M where they got manhandled by NF. A throwback to the days when middies scored, played defense, and faced off, will Hochman be able help NDWH to take the mantle from Xavier as the “best private school team in the SCC not located in Fairfield”?

Hudson Pokorny – A (Darien/W&L) - 64 Pts (41G/23A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pWvC-gM4Y0
Good numbers last year from a Jr on a Sr-laden team, including 3G/1A in the Class L finals. Tall, athletic attackman….can he take it to the next level to be the headliner for what is always an impressive Blue Wave front line? Losing Mincus and McGovern to graduation will change the dynamics significantly this season (no more getting the #3 pole), but in classic Darien fashion they reload with Matheis v2.0, and classmate Henri Pfiefle (Drexel) which may make it hard to just focus on Pokorny. Talk is that 2019 will be a rebuilding year for the Wave…but anyone want to bet me Coach B won’t be on the sidelines at McMahon in June?

Dean DiNanno - M (Wilton/Holy Cross) – 63 pts (38G/25A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkoRzvrWt4
The slippery lefty put up numbers last year that reportedly rivaled those of his much heralded “#2 ranked 2019” classmate who is now off to greener prep pastures. Combined with two of the best defenseman and in the state and a stud goalie, is Wilton (who fell one goal short to the Wave in the L Quarters last year) able to take it to the next level under the radar in a year without the distraction/noise around their departed superstar?

Quintin O’Connor - M (New Canaan/UNC) – No 2018 stats found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x24V5l_1k6I
I can’t find his 2018 stats, but the short version is this: You know a kid is legit stud when he isn’t referred to by his last name, or even his first name; but just one letter……..Q backpacked NC through much of last season, a year when expectations for the team were low…and ended up one goal away from the championship game with losses to Darien in both FCIAC and Class L semis. He’s big, fast, strong, and seemingly shoots the ball better with his “off” hand than his strong right. Most of the rest of NC’s offense is back again this year with another yr of experience (including linemate Matt Cosco (NC/Furman) who might be on this list if his stats or a highlight reel could be found), so it will be even harder for teams to game plan shutting Q off. Can he one-up his big bro and finally break the D curse and bring a FCIAC/State champ to the Farm Rd faithful?

Jack Feda - A (Greenwich/Bucknell) – No 2018 stats found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4Q-3IhSds
Another guy (see Delucia and Tenaglia) who has been putting up big #s since freshman year. Had a lot of help last season from frosh phenom Leo Johnson, who is now off to play semi-pro ball at Salisbury. Feda is a true finisher, in the Canadian sense of the word. Not certain, but would expect there is a good chance Feda may be on track for a 200-goal career for the Cardinals. Is this the year Bobby’s boys create some waves on the back of Feda, or is the prep school vacuum too much for the Cards to overcome?

Nick Consoli - A/M (Glastonbury) – No 2018 stats found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 6_Jp-nW9G8
Another major impact player returning for G’bury. They were one goal away from beating Ridgefield in the L semis – will be interesting to see what their stacked senior class can do this year.

Torben Wunderle - A (Simsbury/Hamilton) – No 2018 stats found
https://wwkw.hudl.com/video/3/7386645/5 ... 0d5cd16e18
Another guy who has been a major contributor for several season. A hoss of an attackman who will try to bring Simsbury back to their past glory (beating both Wilton and Prep to make the L finals in 2016) after a disappointing 2018 season, which ended in an early out of Class L tourney at the hands of Cheshire.

Tyler Starrett -A (Barlow) – No 2018 stats found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjXGb8qbjsAm
Has a big gun from the outside, and has been an offensive force for Barlow going all the way back to his freshman year. Can he carry Barlow to challenge NF’s reign in SWC and Class M this year?

So again, apologies to all the deserving players I missed…this list is not intended to be all inclusive. I know there are guys who put up big numbers, including some in the smaller conferences/tiers that probably deserve to be listed here. I tried to spread it around the best i could, with a focus on guys who’s teams may still be playing come june. No offense intended to those I missed. Others can feel free to add posts with those I missed.

As for Class S players, I will leave that up to others who have more insight, as I don’t have much visibility into those programs.

And remember, only 66 days until the first official day of practice!!
laxmarmot

Post by laxmarmot »

Nice post, thanks for all that work, wish them all well .
Your preparations of today, will determine the achievements of tomorrow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Connecticut, I'm counting on you...
HS BOYS LACROSSE FAMILY FEUD
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DuckLax wrote:19 for '19 - An attempt at a list of CT HS Class of 2019 Offensive Players to Watch
With no slight to any of the players intended, it's strange how few of these players are going to D1 perennial power schools.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Tremendous stuff Duck, many thanks for that. Agree that the schools they are committed to is not what you see many years from CT. This isn’t really a top heavy year for CT lax in regards to individual talent but CT also often places top talent at what might be considered lesser schools (lacrosse speaking) including many D3. Darien is a great example, while they have had their share of top D1 commits it is not nearly as many you would expect for a team that has absolutely dominated over the past 5 years. Can’t wait for spring.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

admin wrote:
DuckLax wrote:19 for '19 - An attempt at a list of CT HS Class of 2019 Offensive Players to Watch
With no slight to any of the players intended, it's strange how few of these players are going to D1 perennial power schools.
Even before talking about the talent level in CT 2019 class, 2019 was a weird recruiting class in general since it straddled the "new" recruiting rule change. Across the country, there were a ton of high level d1 commits during frosh and soph years, then a pause until sept of Jr year when the new rules went into place. About the only early "top 10" program commit in CT HS (excluding prep schools) was Drake, with other very good D1 (but not top 10) early activity for a few schools like Villanova, AF. UVM, etc. One of the interesting things about the Ivies were that they REALLY focused on the prep school kids in their early commits, probably driven by their comfort of being able to get a kid though their admissions if he is coming from [fill in blank with Bwick, Taft, Westmin, etc] vs a public, even though they only had a semester or two of HS grades when they made the commit.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

I know the Class divisions have not been posted yet on CIAC site. Any insight here on how that might shake out for 2019?

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”