StM
10%
StP
7%

Total votes: 103

Peter Brown

Re: MIAA A Conference

Post by Peter Brown »

A friend just forwarded this email to me. I am clipping and posting. Very interesting re St. Paul's:

"Hey All, You might be interested in some interesting SP lax info. The NCAA began designating a Most Outstanding Player in the 1977 national tournament so that means there have been 42 NCAA Division 1 Men’s Lacrosse Championship Tournament Most Outstanding Players. A St. Paul’s lacrosse player has won that honor five times, more than any other high school in the country. So St. Paul’s has produced 12% of the NCAA Division 1 Men’s Lacrosse Championship Tournament Most Outstanding Players.

NCAA Division 1 Men’s Lacrosse Championship Tournament Most Outstanding Players

1977: Eamon McEneaney, Attack, Cornell (Sewanhaka)

1978: Mike O’Neill, Attack, Johns Hopkins (Massapequa)

1979: Mike Federico, Goalie, Johns Hopkins (Boys’ Latin)

1980: Jim Bidne, Attack, Johns Hopkins (Boys’ Latin)

1981: Jeff Cook, Attack, Johns Hopkins (McDonogh)

1982: Tom Sears, UNC (Calvert Hall)

1983: Brad Kotz, Syracuse (West Genesee)

1984: Larry Quinn, Goalie, Johns Hopkins (Levittown Memorial)

1985: Larry Quinn, Goalie, Johns Hopkins (Levittown Memorial)

1986: Gary Seivold, University of North Carolina (Gilman)

1987: Tim Goldstein, Cornell (Ward Melville)

1988: Matt Paulumb, Goalie, Syracuse (Jamesville-DeWitt)

1989: Paul Gait, Midfield, Syracuse (Claremont High)

1990: Gary Gait, Midfield, Syracuse (Claremont High)

1991: Dennis Goldstein, Attack, UNC (Ward Melville H.S)

1992: Scott Bacigalupo, Goalie, Princeton (St. Paul’s 1990)

1993: Chris Surran, Goalie, Syracuse (????)

1994: Scott Bacigalupo, Goalie, Princeton (St. Paul’s 1990)

1995: Brian Dougherty, Goalie, Maryland (Episcopal Academy)

1996: Michael Watson, Attack, UVA (St. Paul’s 1992)

1997: Jon Hess, Attack, Princeton (Nyack HS)

1998: Corey Popham, Princeton (Gilman)

1999: Conor Gill, Attack, UVA (St. Paul’s 1999)

2000: Liam Banks, Attack, Syracuse (Ward Melville H.S)

2001: B.J. Prager, Attack, Princeton (Garden City H.S.)

2002: Mikey Powell, Attack, Syracuse (Carthage H.S.)

2003: Tillman Johnson, Goalie, UVA (St. Mary’s)

2004: Mikey Powell, Attack, Syracuse (Carthage H.S.)

2005: Jessie Schwartzman, Goalie, JHU (Pikesville H.S.)

2006: Matt Ward, Attack, UVA (Landon)

2007: Jessie Schwartzman, Goalie, JHU (Pikesville H.S.)

2008: M. Leveille, Attack, Syracuse (Delmar)

2009: Kenny Nims, Attack, Syracuse (Watertown)

2010: Scott Rodgers, Goalie, Notre Dame (MacArthur)

2011: Colin Briggs, Midfield, UVA (Bishop Hendricken)

2012: Eric Lusby, Attack, Loyola (Severna Park)

2013: Brendan Fowler, Midfield, Duke (Chaminade)

2014: Jordan Wolf, Attack, Duke (Lower Merion)

2015: Wesley Berg, Attack, Denver (Charles Best Secondary)

2016: Chris Cloutier, Attack, UNC (Hill Academy)

2017: Tim Muller, Defense, Maryland (Chaminade)

2018: Ben Reeves, Attack, Yale (Palmyra Macedon)

2019: Alex Rode, Goalie, UVA (St. Paul’s 2017) Congrats to the UVA team and Alex!

SP – 5 MOP’s (4 diff. players)

Ward Melville – 3 MOP’s
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:49 pm The question is best while in HS?
Gee, how would we remotely answer that question...while in HS?

The 'smartest' HS player I ever saw play, post my era, was Ryan Boyle, much the same proved to be true in college. Made everyone better around him.

I'd say the same of Steele Stanwick. I'd say Shack was a heck of a HS player for sure, but no, not the same as Steele.

Marcus Holman? Conor Doyle? Ryan Tucker?
Certainly Spencer.

I thought Ryan Conrad was a huge impact player in HS...and college. Deemer Class was also pretty darn special in HS and then college.

Comparing these guys to the '70's and early 80's guys, whole other deal. Of course, that's MSA era.
I'd throw David Tickner at the top of that mix. Jimmy Wilkerson, Del Dressel, Jeff Cook?

Whole bunch of goalies and defensemen.

For consideration: here's one list of HS all-Americans out of Gilman; it can be searched by other high schools
http://www.jamesmetzger.net/wordpress/j ... man+School
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:21 pm

The 'smartest' HS player I ever saw play, post my era, was Ryan Boyle, much the same proved to be true in college. Made everyone better around him.

I'd say the same of Steele Stanwick. I'd say Shack was a heck of a HS player for sure, but no, not the same as Steele.

Certainly Spencer.

I thought Ryan Conrad was a huge impact player in HS...and college. Deemer Class was also pretty darn special in HS and then college.

Comparing these guys to the '70's and early 80's guys, whole other deal. Of course, that's MSA era.
I'd throw David Tickner at the top of that mix. Jimmy Wilkerson, Del Dressel, Jeff Cook?

For consideration: here's one list of HS all-Americans out of Gilman; it can be searched by other high schools
Agreed on Ryan Boyle and Steele Stanwick. From the time between them: Travis Reed, Kevin Huntley, Chris Boland. At the other end of the field: Brian Farrell, Tyler Fiorito, Tillman Johnson.

I think Jack Doyle was the most impressive player of those Gilman years. As a HS player, he was the best of a really talented team, including Holman, Emala, McBride, etc. and the guys a few years younger.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Cooter,
The other 2 MIAA AA's are J. Koras (Loyola) and BJ Burlace (St Mary's).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BetweenTheLines wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:03 am

Certainly Spencer.

Agreed on Ryan Boyle and Steele Stanwick. From the time between them: Travis Reed, Kevin Huntley, Chris Boland. At the other end of the field: Brian Farrell, Tyler Fiorito, Tillman Johnson.

I think Jack Doyle was the most impressive player of those Gilman years. As a HS player, he was the best of a really talented team, including Holman, Emala, McBride, etc. and the guys a few years younger.

Yup, jack Doyle was a tremendous Hs midfielder; back injury and surgeries prevented him from being the same at Harvard.

On the other end of the field Joe Ehrman was dominating.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I was in the net for that 1976 team at Gilman. My classmate Bob Thomas had been an AA attack man our junior season, captain and QB of a championship football team our senior year, but a car accident (I was driving) put him out for the '76 season. He went on to be an AA at Princeton, also President of the school, and Moot Court competition winner at Harvard Law.

So, who made HS AA from Gilman in '76?
Heubeck '76 and Swerdloff '76. The two top scorers in the MSA.
Heubeck was an AA at Princeton, Swerdloff went to Hopkins and was starting as a freshman, but then switched in NC State and lit up the scoreboard there.

The third attack man on that team was Jeff Harris '77, a junior, AA his senior year.
AA at Hopkins.

On the starting midfield, as a freshman, was Jim Wilkerson '79, a HS AA his junior and senior years. 2X 1st team AA at UMD. The other two starting midfielders were Michael Ward who started 4 years at Harvard and Dave Campbell who played 4 years of football at Hopkins.

My crease man was Ted Sotir '76, All-State in 3 sports, played football and lax at Princeton, AA in lax. Wingate Pritchett '77 was an AA at UMD, and Bill Pacy might have become the best pole in college, W&L, if he had not died in a car accident freshman year.

Similar collections of talent at the other MSA schools, most notably that year St.P, BL, and CHC.

RIP to Rollo Brent, one of the all-time BL greats. His son Geoff and I were contemporaries.
Rollo was a terrific guy, loved listening to him and my dad and their various pals tell stories of lax in their era.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/obitu ... story.html
Homewood15

Post by Homewood15 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 am
Homewood15 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:30 pm Best MIAA player of all time - who ya got? Shack Stanwick has my pick. His career at Boys' Latin was remarkable. Dominating games and opposing defenses in arguably the best league in the country. Made it look so easy and never forced anything, always letting the game come to him. Unfortunately his college career was hindered by injuries

Well, the best player to "come out of the MIAA" of all time is at this stage Pat Spencer. Has any MIAA player ever won the Tewaarton?

So far as who was the best MIAA player of all time for performance within the MIAA, I will defer to much more knowledgable folks than I. You can not go wrong however with Scott Bacigalupo.
Shack undoubtedly had the better HS career, while Spencer undoubtedly had the better NCAA career. However, Hopkins offense did not allow Shack to "be the guy" so to say, while the Loyola offense completely revolved around Spencer. Shack's HS performance is still the best I've ever seen. Absolutely dominant and essentially flawless.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Congrats to midfielder Tyler Smith of John Carroll for being the C. Markland Kelly Award nominee from Harford County.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Slim

Post by Slim »

Congratulations to Cole Herbert, CHC winning the C. Markland Kelly, Best Lacrosse Player in the State of Maryland. Well-earned! Unselfishly played for his teammates all season. Great work, Cole!
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

13 of the 50 players remaining in the U19 team selection process are from the MIAA A Conference.

CHC: 5
SM: 3
MCD: 2
SP: 1
BL: 1
L-B: 1
AS, GIL, MSJ, SEV: 0

This is a grueling process. Cream rises. Next round of tryouts is July 12-14.

Congratulations to these players and coaches.

* NINE of the 13 selected are 2020s. As always, there will be plenty of national level talent in the MIAA next year.

Link:
https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/fifty-p ... ut-process
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

Slim

Post by Slim »

Can the Hall really 4-peat in 2020? Who will stop them? Are the Lakers, Eagles, Dons, or Hounds ready to contend? Will St. Paul's ever take the next step under new coach? Will the Saints go marching to the title? Spalding...? What's the word out there?
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

Slim wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:40 am Can the Hall really 4-peat in 2020? Who will stop them? Are the Lakers, Eagles, Dons, or Hounds ready to contend? Will St. Paul's ever take the next step under new coach? Will the Saints go marching to the title? Spalding...? What's the word out there?
Great questions Slim. Altho the Home Page header "Forum" link still goes to 2019 there is an active MIAA A Conference 2020 thread over here.

viewtopic.php?f=297&t=1384&start=20
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Random question. But, name any schools in the A Conference where lacrosse is so huge that:

1. the Varsity Lacrosse head coaching job is the most stressful and demanding coaching job at the school
2. the JV head coaching job is the second most stressful and demanding coaching job at the school
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:18 am Random question. But, name any schools in the A Conference where lacrosse is so huge that:

1. the Varsity Lacrosse head coaching job is the most stressful and demanding coaching job at the school
2. the JV head coaching job is the second most stressful and demanding coaching job at the school
I'd argue that the JV jobs can be worse.
At this point, the varsity coach has punted kids and you're dealing with kids who are disappointed they aren't on varsity.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”