StM
10%
StP
7%

Total votes: 103

Juslaxin16

Re: MIAA A Conference

Post by Juslaxin16 »

thatsmell wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:45 pm The notion of a team only belonging in the A if you are "competing for an A-league championship" or a playoff spot on a yearly basis is both wrong and short sighted.

Put things into perspective. There are 235 high school lacrosse teams in the state of MD. All 11 "A" teams are ranked in the top 25 by Laxnumbers. Even the bottom 4 teams with their small win totals in-conference, have good out-of-conference wins over OTHER league/state champs/finalists like: Severna Park, Northern, Hereford, Towson, CM Wright, Curley and Dematha.

Tell me again how bad those bottom teams are?!

:lol:

All of the A teams have chosen to be in the A. All of these schools are financially committed to pushing themselves and their programs to be the very best it can be on a yearly basis. That may or may not mean competing for the conference title depending upon how the other conference schools are faring on a given year. As noted by the wins above, that likely means still playing some incredibly good lacrosse.

And while it's great to compete for a championship AND play some good lacrosse, there are many additional reasons these A schools choose to compete in the too:

Some schools take pride in competing in the A on a yearly basis.
Some schools like the "A" gauntlet. The lax field is another classroom.
Some schools recruit and use their lacrosse team as a local PR mechanism.
Some schools use their lacrosse team as a huge source of school/community pride and student enthusiasm, raising morale. These kids are often locally grown.
Some schools use their lacrosse programs as a cornerstone for other activities that involve/grow the rest of the community in non-athletic areas of interest/participation- i.e: managers, sports information, sports medicine, video, audio, social media etc.
Some schools boost enrollment by recruiting and investing in lacrosse and playing in the A.
Some schools use their lax programs as a great source of pride, fundraising and motivation with it's alumni base.
Some schools use lacrosse to get their students into/placed/financial aid at colleges.

But yeah, competing for a title is good too.
I never said they were “bad” lacrosse teams. There is no doubt MSJ, and JC are good teams. I’m simply saying to put them in a conference where they can actually compete for a playoff spot.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’m simply saying to put them in a conference where they can actually compete for a playoff spot.
Not trying to be a cold-hearted meathead, but...Nah.

MSJ, Spalding, John Carroll, Severn, McDonogh, etc. all know what they signed up for when they made the choice to join the A league. It was a conscious decision by ALL of them. Competing for a playoff spot or winning a championship in a lesser conference is not these school's primary driver. They knew entering that sometimes your best wouldn't be enough in this league. They knew that qualifying for the postseason will vary from year to year depending on their own performance AND what everyone else did in-conference.

The primary driver for all these schools is really to play the highest level of lacrosse possible AGAINST the best out there, AND to get all those other really good things TS mentioned.

Making Conference Playoffs or winning a championship against the VERY best is the oh-so-sweet gravy that happens when you have a REAL special year in the A.

With apologies to the MD State, B and C tourneys, which I think have tremendous value for a large number of teams, just competing in or winning a few games against lesser, (tiered) competition and calling yourself a champion is not what ANY of the "A" schools want.
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

Thought this was interesting:

A Conference Players invited to the USA U19 Tryouts x school x class

6 - CHC (4x2019, 2x2020)
3 - SM (1 2019, 2x2020)
2 - McD (2x2020)
1 - BL (1x2020
1 - GIL (1x2019)
1 - L-B (1x2020)
0- MSJ, Severn, JC, AS

MIAA A Conference with 14 of the 105 invited players!

Link:
https://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/us-lacr ... t-invitees
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

Lax_04 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:39 pm Thought this was interesting:

6 - CHC (4x2019, 2x2020)
3 - SM (1 2019, 2x2020)
2 - McD (2x2020)
1 - BL (1x2020
1 - GIL (1x2019)
1 - L-B (1x2020)
0- MSJ, Severn, JC, AS

Link:
Following up on the above.

To try out for this 2020 U19 team a player could not be born before Sept. 1, 2000.(under-19 as of Aug. 31 in the year preceding the championship).

In Maryland "on age" 2019s were born on or after September 1, 2000 and before August 31, 2001.

Therefore all 6 of the 2019s listed above are "on age" for their grad year (i.e. not hold-backs).
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

Lax_04 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:42 pm

6 - CHC (4x2019, 2x2020)
3 - SM (1 2019, 2x2020)
2 - McD (2x2020)
1 - BL (1x2020
1 - GIL (1x2019)
1 - L-B (1x2020)
0- MSJ, Severn, JC, AS

Link:

To try out for this 2020 U19 team a player could not be born before Sept. 1, 2000.(under-19 as of Aug. 31 in the year preceding the championship).

In Maryland "on age" 2019s were born on or after September 1, 2000 and before August 31, 2001.

Therefore all 6 of the 2019s listed above are "on age" for their grad year (i.e. not hold-backs).
So does that mean that the other 8 were holdbacks from the MIAA ? and 48 out of the 105 were 2020 so are they holdbacks too ? If they all are ,all I can say is WOW ! Or I guess they could only find around 55 top 2019 and had to get younger 2020's ?
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

Chuckman wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:50 pm
Lax_04 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:42 pm

6 - CHC (4x2019, 2x2020)
3 - SM (1 2019, 2x2020)
2 - McD (2x2020)
1 - BL (1x2020
1 - GIL (1x2019)
1 - L-B (1x2020)
0- MSJ, Severn, JC, AS

Link:

So does that mean that the other 8 were holdbacks from the MIAA ? and 48 out of the 105 were 2020 so are they holdbacks too ? If they all are ,all I can say is WOW !
Hahahaha.

We can't infer anything about the 2020s from this data, just the 19s.

I posted it because I think it is interesting that there are six MIAA 19s who are good enough players to make this list and are all on age. Kind of breaks down the "All the top MIAA players are hold backs" argument a bit, IMO.
Slim

Post by Slim »

2020? Who ya got?

I'll take first stab;
1. CHC - 4-peat?
2. BL - youth comes of age
3. Loyola - Ubriaco-factor
4. McD - seek redemption
5. Gilman - The Nostrant Era begins
6. Spalding - Is this the year?
7. SP - not sure what happened in '19?
8. StM - lost a lot to graduation
9. Severn
10. John Carroll
11. MSJ
Homewood15

Post by Homewood15 »

Best MIAA player of all time - who ya got? Shack Stanwick has my pick. His career at Boys' Latin was remarkable. Dominating games and opposing defenses in arguably the best league in the country. Made it look so easy and never forced anything, always letting the game come to him. Unfortunately his college career was hindered by injuries
Slim

Post by Slim »

In my era it was Steele hands down. Won back-to-back titles with Loyola Blakefield, then another at UVa. He set the standard for the Stanwick boys.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Homewood15 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:30 pm Best MIAA player of all time - who ya got? Shack Stanwick has my pick. His career at Boys' Latin was remarkable. Dominating games and opposing defenses in arguably the best league in the country. Made it look so easy and never forced anything, always letting the game come to him. Unfortunately his college career was hindered by injuries

Well, the best player to "come out of the MIAA" of all time is at this stage Pat Spencer. Has any MIAA player ever won the Tewaarton?

So far as who was the best MIAA player of all time for performance within the MIAA, I will defer to much more knowledgable folks than I. You can not go wrong however with Scott Bacigalupo.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Batch never won a title at SP, but made up for it at PU w/2 NCAA rings. Spencer never won an MIAA title, nor a NCAA ring. Steele and LB won 2 MIAA titles, back-to-back, and a NCAA championship with the Hoos. He also was a Tewarraton winner, right? He is the best period! Not even close in the MIAA era!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Where does Steele stand on the all time scoring lists?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Slim wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 am Batch never won a title at SP, but made up for it at PU w/2 NCAA rings. Spencer never won an MIAA title, nor a NCAA ring. Steele and LB won 2 MIAA titles, back-to-back, and a NCAA championship with the Hoos. He also was a Tewarraton winner, right? He is the best period! Not even close in the MIAA era!

Yes but the original question is 'who is the best player', not 'who had the best supporting cast'. It doesn't matter how great you are as an individual, because in lacrosse, teams win.

Steele did win the Tewey, forgot about that.

But, I think Spencer is a far better player than Steele, certainly more dominating. I have no idea if he was 'all that' at BL but certainly in college, he's by far the best MIAA player to have ever hit the D1 scene. Arguably he's the 2nd best player of all time, behind Rabil, imo. Better than Thompson, again imo.

Anyway, this is why these boards exist; to chew on completely unreconcilable opinions.
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:22 am
Homewood15 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:30 pm Best MIAA player of all time - who ya got? Shack Stanwick has my pick. His career at Boys' Latin was remarkable. Dominating games and opposing defenses in arguably the best league in the country. Made it look so easy and never forced anything, always letting the game come to him. Unfortunately his college career was hindered by injuries

Well, the best player to "come out of the MIAA" of all time is at this stage Pat Spencer. Has any MIAA player ever won the Tewaarton?

So far as who was the best MIAA player of all time for performance within the MIAA, I will defer to much more knowledgable folks than I. You can not go wrong however with Scott Bacigalupo.
Tewaaraton winners: Steele Stanwick, Kyle Harrison (Friends). Tillman Johnson (St. Mary's) and Bacigalupo both won Enners Awards.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The question is best while in HS?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Raescreek

Post by Raescreek »

Add Ryan Boyle (Gilman), Connor Gill (SP), and Timmy Whitely (SP) to the list.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Gotta include Michael Watson. He rocked it!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Congrats to:

G, John Carroll, Jacob Lotz
D, John Carroll, Henry Marindin
M, John Carroll, Jordan Remeto
M, John Carroll, Tyler Smith

All named 1st Team Baltimore Sun Harford Lacrosse

Expect Baltimore County/City and All Metro awards to be released soon too.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Hammer44

Post by Hammer44 »

Congrats to @CalvertHallLax Jack Sawyer ‘19, Grant Mitchell ‘19, & Cole Herbert ‘20 on being 3 of the 5 MIAA Players selected as @USLacrosse HS All Americans. #GoHall. @calverthall @TerpsMLax @OhioStateMLAX @UNCMensLacrosse
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I wonder who the other 2 are. Any news on the All-MIAA team?
Live Free or Die!

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”