2022 NYS Public High School State Tournament

HS Boys Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: 2019 NYS Public High School State Tournament

Post by pcowlax »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:49 pm
NYVA631 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:31 pm Massapequa is the best team in the state and not sure anyone would disagree
I sure as hell would! First, the 2 best teams in the State, can't play in this tournament. And a "B" team from L.I. beat both the NYS State A and C champs this season. And that team suffered 2 losses...both times to another terrific team L.I. B team.
This is true, need to specify public as Chaminade beat Pequa pretty handily and St. A was clearly their equal. Of course those two have massive structural advantages which is why their oranges aren’t allowed to play with the apples in the tourney. GC also may well have been the best public but hey, they only beat Pequa by 1 so cant really say they are better and they lost twice to Set. Coulda shoulda woulda, but they lost. Congrats to all 4 champs who are the champs because they won it on the field and, in the end, that is the final word on that.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

So long to the 3 year run of Finals here at SJF. Been a great setting and well run. Best games over these three years IMO, and in order -

2017 Ward Melville stunner over Pittsford (hands down best game)
2019 Lafayette over Briarcliff in OT
2018 Garden City over 3X champ Victor
2017 Cold Spring Harbor over Jamesville DeWitt

Enjoy it's return to the Island ya schnooks! I may have to visit! :P
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
NYVA631

Post by NYVA631 »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:17 pm So long to the 3 year run of Finals here at SJF. Been a great setting and well run. Best games over these three years IMO, and in order -

NYS championship Saturday is always something I look forward to. Great list of games. I still watch the 2017 WM comeback and it’s still unbelievable.

Really glad we got the chatter up and thank you to FanLax for hosting us nuts.

Nigel, you’re welcome at Hofstra and we’ll get you a feast fit for a true paesan!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Nigel wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:17 pm So long to the 3 year run of Finals here at SJF. Been a great setting and well run. Best games over these three years IMO, and in order -

Nigel: "What a long strange trip it's been"....for the downstate schnooks who ventured NORTH these past 3 years. Now that the shoe is on the proverbial "other foot" a measure of schadenfreude sets in. Frankly, I think the Tournament should be contested in a more equidistant locale----the geographic middle of NY is in Madison County. Certainly, Buffalo and Hofstra are inconvenient,to say the least. (Stony Brook :roll: ).

While I'm not confident the powers that be will ever "fix" this, I hope a semblance of common sense prevails.

If you happen to get to "the hood" next year, look me up.I'm buying.

Enjoy the summer.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:49 pm
NYVA631 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:31 pm Massapequa is the best team in the state and not sure anyone would disagree
I sure as hell would! First, the 2 best teams in the State, can't play in this tournament. And a "B" team from L.I. beat both the NYS State A and C champs this season. And that team suffered 2 losses...both times to another terrific team L.I. B team.
This is true, need to specify public as Chaminade beat Pequa pretty handily and St. A was clearly their equal. Of course those two have massive structural advantages which is why their oranges aren’t allowed to play with the apples in the tourney. GC also may well have been the best public but hey, they only beat Pequa by 1 so cant really say they are better and they lost twice to Set. Coulda shoulda woulda, but they lost. Congrats to all 4 champs who are the champs because they won it on the field and, in the end, that is the final word on that.
My comment was an attempt to voice my opinion re: "the best team in the state".Certainly whichever team wins the final game, deserves the title of Champion. But that, in and of itself, does not make them the "best".
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Nigel wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 pm
Fast Break wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:10 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:01 pm The geographic center of New York State is located in Madison County, 12 miles S of Oneida and 26 miles SW of Utica.Per the U.S. Geologic Survey.Must be the IDEAL spot to hold the NYS Lacrosse Championship. :roll:
Was waiting for that to come up... :lol:
Hey Now! Colgate right down the road!
Well that settles it. Can't lose when you're close to Colgate AND Utica. I'M IN.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:49 pm This is true, need to specify public as Chaminade beat Pequa pretty handily and St. A was clearly their equal. Of course those two have massive structural advantages which is why their oranges aren’t allowed to play with the apples in the tourney. GC also may well have been the best public but hey, they only beat Pequa by 1 so cant really say they are better and they lost twice to Set. Coulda shoulda woulda, but they lost. Congrats to all 4 champs who are the champs because they won it on the field and, in the end, that is the final word on that.
they aren't allowed to play in the tourney because they don't qualify for it by playing under the qualifying rules for the tourney. which is playing a section schedule. that is their choice, but it has nothing to do with "massive structural advantages."
gc -- "best regular season team" - "most talented team" - can swallow. but the day after the nys championships, when the trojans couldn't make it out of the section... not really in the "best team" discussion.
pequa looked like the best squad on the field yesterday, though haven't seen the c game yet.
great comeback by the lancers, awesome to see them get another championship.

by results throughout and year end -- st a's probably has the best claim to "best".
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:58 am
My comment was an attempt to voice my opinion re: "the best team in the state".Certainly whichever team wins the final game, deserves the title of Champion. But that, in and of itself, does not make them the "best".
no offense, murph. but that's how we used to do it. and some of us still do.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Not offended at all
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:41 pm
Not offended at all
murph, you're the man.
and get your guy stick back on here!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:35 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:49 pm This is true, need to specify public as Chaminade beat Pequa pretty handily and St. A was clearly their equal. Of course those two have massive structural advantages which is why their oranges aren’t allowed to play with the apples in the tourney. GC also may well have been the best public but hey, they only beat Pequa by 1 so cant really say they are better and they lost twice to Set. Coulda shoulda woulda, but they lost. Congrats to all 4 champs who are the champs because they won it on the field and, in the end, that is the final word on that.
they aren't allowed to play in the tourney because they don't qualify for it by playing under the qualifying rules for the tourney. which is playing a section schedule. that is their choice, but it has nothing to do with "massive structural advantages."
gc -- "best regular season team" - "most talented team" - can swallow. but the day after the nys championships, when the trojans couldn't make it out of the section... not really in the "best team" discussion.
pequa looked like the best squad on the field yesterday, though haven't seen the c game yet.
great comeback by the lancers, awesome to see them get another championship.

by results throughout and year end -- st a's probably has the best claim to "best".
This is a lot of stream of consciousness. Pequa did indeed look like the best team in the state yesterday.. and they were pummeled by Chaminade. Nade and St. A would beat Victor or SWR by 10+. That is, of course, not because their players are genetically better but because they get to recruit across towns. You know, a massive structural advantage. If you know your history you know it is not their choice they don’t play in the public tourney, they can’t play a section schedule because the section won’t play them. Really, you should know better on that. If you think Chaminade and St. Anthony’s don’t play on the NY state tourney because of something that is their choice??? Good lord, I don’t know know what to tell you.

My opinion, just that, the “best” NY public team this year was GC.Yet they lost, by 1 to Pequa and twice close to Set. What does that mean? It means they lost!! Set losing to JJ is a terrible loss, relative to what they should be playing at which is top 10 in the country. Is JJ better than Set? I would say no, despite the head to head. H2H is very over blown.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcow. always love your perspective and passion.
aren't you picking and choosing your head-to-head here? which ones mean more? didn't st anthony's lose big to chaminade and then beat them?
my variables:
head-to-heads.
the entirety of the record.
end of season gets weighed.

as far as the catholic league schools and their participation, here are the things i've understood from the past... correct me with a link:
the catholic league schools have not been willing to fall under nysphsaa rules. they prefer their own.
again... which is fine.
have they battled to be able to be included under nysphsaa rules, regs and membership?
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Not sure Mrs. Nigel is going for 4 straight on the plains of Hempstead but I know it will here in a blink, thanks for the coverage, always did a great job covering the girls too
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

It was nice to have four reasonably competitive games this year. Unlike last year where we had two games finish in running time including the last game of a legend, the C game was never in doubt, at least, more often than not, the B game comes through. with excitement. Sorry I missed the D game this year as I had to depart. As usual, big plays by the GK and fogo separates the winners from the rest.

Massapequa is a talented looking team, but I didn’t think they looked as strong as some of the past A winners.

At no point in this season did I expect Victor to win the Section, let alone go all the way. In the playoffs, their two toughest games were the Section V semi against Brighton and final against Canandaigua, both 1point wins. It was a down year in Sec V Class B, but Victor just had the right stuff leading to a remarkable run of five straight finals with four victories in two classes.

I thought SWR and JD would be the top game, but this was the least impressive JD team I’ve ever seen and a solid SWR finished the job.

Nice to see LaFayette back in the mix and against I’m sorry I missed it.

Till next year...
Fast Break

Post by Fast Break »

Was impressed with the way Fairport handled themselves. In my mind the game was never in doubt, but FP played hard throughout and averted what could have been just as easily a laugher. Massapequa performed and showed that they were the best Class A team in the state that was qualified to play in the NY State Public High School lacrosse tournament. ;)

To Victor goes the spoils once again. Have to say that they played one heck of a game and proved me wrong. C. Hay played through injury and helped carry the Blue Devils in the most critical parts of the game. I picked JJ, but was rooting for V to represent Upstate. Well done. Great season by JJ, I am a little sad for my buddy Timmy Schurr.

Regarding my Red Rams, I am proud of the boys and the way they improved throughout the season. Unfortunately, they came out tight and mentally forgot the tenets of JD lacrosse. SWR defense created the advantage and provided some lopsided ball possession early to feed the Arline monster. JD dug an insurmountable hole against the best team they faced during the season, including Victor (at the time they played). JD should be back next year, and will have this experience to draw upon as well as some deep Senior leadership. Congrats to SWR!

About Lafayette, outside of Briarcliff fans, who could be disappointed that this storied program came out on top. Love it!!!

Well that's a wrap! Congrats to the Champions. Hope everyone comes back next year, plus more of the storied LI Laxpower contingent. Enjoy the summer.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:53 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:41 pm
Not offended at all
murph, you're the man.
and get your guy stick back on here!
StickHead may be lost in a field somewhere with Little Bo Peep, humming Blind Faith's 'Can't Find My Way Home'.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

My opinion, just that, the “best” NY public team this year was GC. Yet they lost, by 1 to Pequa and twice close to Set. What does that mean? It means they lost!! Set losing to JJ is a terrible loss, relative to what they should be playing at which is top 10 in the country. Is JJ better than Set? I would say no, despite the head to head. H2H is very overblown.
Actually GC BEAT Massapequa.They lost to an excellent MHS team twice both games by one goal. The second in double OT. I was stunned :o by Manhasset's loss to J.J. I figured whichever B team won Nassau B, they'd win the State B title.

One of the more famous quotes, although as trite and hackneyed as "I promise I won't.......mouth" is "any team can beat any other team on any given day".So much yadda, yadda, but so true.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Not sure Mrs. Nigel is going for 4 straight on the plains of Hempstead but I know it will here in a blink, thanks for the coverage, always did a great job covering the girls too
Mrs Nigel bailed after 2 games but she'd have zero problem sending me on a road trip out of town! Married too long...

It's a whole year away, and not sure about Lafayette, but Fairport/Victor/JD all have a real good chance of being in the serious conversation about advancing to Hofstra. Gonna be real interesting to see how the roadshow plays with less fan support. Also probably a bit premature on my part to call for the Upstate sweep!!! :lol:
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:41 pm
My opinion, just that, the “best” NY public team this year was GC.Yet they lost, by 1 to Pequa and twice close to Set. What does that mean? It means they lost!! Set losing to JJ is a terrible loss, relative to what they should be playing at which is top 10 in the country. Is JJ better than Set? I would say no, despite the head to head. H2H is very over blown.
"Set losing to JJ is a terrible loss"? Really? Do I think it was an upset? Yes, I do. Yes, they lost to Set in the first game of their season by 6, without one of the Fords, but it was a team that clearly got better at the end of the season. But JJ was 20-3, no bad losses, Lost by 2 to an in form Victor team (goalie had 19 saves, huge faceoff advantage, in I believe their 5th straight title game appearance), beat SWR and CSH, Yorktown, Wilton, Ridgefield. A little respect, please.

And H2H is very overblown? That's just a silly statement, in my opinion. Is it the be all and end all? Of course not. But it matters, if not, tell me what matters more. Set was a better team than GC, they beat them twice. Period. If they played 3 more times, could GC win all 3? Yup. But they had two chances, and Set won.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wgd-Irish and the italians long ago throughout nys learned to live together, actually become besties. i better have figured it out, married one
Hai ragione Ho il piacere di essere sia irlandese che italiano. Ho sposato una bellezza calabrese.
I and I Flag.jpg
I and I Flag.jpg (3.43 KiB) Viewed 3873 times

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”