HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

HS Boys Lacrosse
Justafan

Re: HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

Post by Justafan »

Hill vs Culver is always a good one. That should be coming up soon. Hopefully it is streamed. It is usually played at a neutral site in Detroit area somewhere.
ultimatelaxbro

Post by ultimatelaxbro »

Why is Hill in the US rankings? Nothing against them but I dont understand that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

... because they're good and they primarily play other good teams in the US. And, for that matter, there are other Canadian HS teams that aren't as good and play less US teams and we include them, too. As long as there's a connection to our HS teams, they're invited to the party.
grelch

Post by grelch »

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing St. Ignatius from San Francisco make their NY swing. It'll be tough for them to win any of the 3 games vs St. A's, Garden City and Chaminade but it would be nice to see them be competitive.
ultimatelaxbro

Post by ultimatelaxbro »

admin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:17 pm ... because they're good and they primarily play other good teams in the US. And, for that matter, there are other Canadian HS teams that aren't as good and play less US teams and we include them, too. As long as there's a connection to our HS teams, they're invited to the party.
Don’t dispute any of the above. Why is t it called the North America Rankings then?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

North American HS Boys Computer Rankings? Too many letters. HS Boys Computer rankings is better. Fits on a Smartphone.
914laxer

Post by 914laxer »

grelch wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm I'm kind of looking forward to seeing St. Ignatius from San Francisco make their NY swing. It'll be tough for them to win any of the 3 games vs St. A's, Garden City and Chaminade but it would be nice to see them be competitive.
I am also looking forward to these games as St. Ignatius has established themselves as the top team west of the Mississippi this year. Love that the California teams are willing to come out east and challenge themselves, much respect to them. But those three games back to back to back would be very tough for any team, let alone a team who has to fly across the country.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

grelch wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:21 pm I'm kind of looking forward to seeing St. Ignatius from San Francisco make their NY swing. It'll be tough for them to win any of the 3 games vs St. A's, Garden City and Chaminade but it would be nice to see them be competitive.
If I’m reading their schedule correctly 3 games in 3 days is a big ask let alone those three teams. If they walk away with one win that will be a successful trip. I don't see it happening.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: Boys Latin (MD) beat McDonogh (MD), St. Christopher's (VA) beat St. Stephen/St. Agnes (VA), Calvert Hall (MD) beat St. Mary's Annapolis (MD), St. John's (DC) beat Paul VI (VA), and... FanLax's Computer Rankings and Game Results are updated.

* - As a reminder, teams with 5 games played or less in 2019 still have one foot in 2018. As soon as they play their 6th game, they'll be 100% in 2019.
LILaxer99

Post by LILaxer99 »

What are your thoughts about Everest Academy in ONT? Where would you rank them?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: Chaminade (NY) beat St. Anthony's (NY), Seton Hall Prep (NJ) beat Delbarton (NJ), Saint Ignatius Prep (CA) beat Bellarmine Prep (CA), Cincinnati St Xavier (OH) beat Mason (OH), and... FanLax Computer Rankings and Game Scores updated.

*Teams with 5 or less games played still have one foot in 2018. e.g. Currently, St. Anthony's is getting credit for beating 2018 Delbarton (which is not the same as 2019 Delbo) and Chaminade is getting credit for beating the team that beat 2018 Delbo. Soon, each team will hit 6 games and they'll come back to earth.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LILaxer99 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:04 pm What are your thoughts about Everest Academy in ONT? Where would you rank them?
Everest is ranked. #550 something. http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/03/15/201 ... cademy(ON)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: TODAY, #1 Hill (CN) plays #7 Culver (IN). YESTERDAY, Manhasset (NY) beat Darien (CT), Boys' Latin (MD) beat Loyola Blakefield (MD), Bullis (MD) beat St Stephen/St Agnes (VA). AND, based on 4 Games and Top 2 Wins, these are the updated FanLax Computer Rankings (and Game Scores).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow. Early but Culver (IN) up 5-0 on Hill (CN).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOY: # of Normalized Wins up'ed to 3 and, with Culver's W over Hill, Culver moved to #1, Calvert hall to #2, Hill to #3, and... Computer Rankings and Game Scores updated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: St Mary's Annapolis (MD) beat Boys' Latin (MD), the #15 Big Win this season, St Anthony's (NY), Garden City (NY), and Chaminade (NY) beat Saint Ignatius Prep (CA), and... We've updated (and changed the format of) the FanLax Computer Rankings.
LIlax88

Post by LIlax88 »

GC beats St Ignatius 14-3 but doesn’t pass them in your rankings and is at 41? Seems accurate.. :roll:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Despite your condescension, it actually makes sense. GC v. St. I is one game. If they played a 1 game season, you'd be 100% correct. but they don't so... You can't set rankings based on head-to-head. And, if you did, you'd be chasing your tail and few, if any, rankings would be meaningful.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Admin--I realize how difficult this is, but all I can say is it makes me appreciate the media/coaches polls all the more. Sure, they can have inherent biases as well, but this last iteration of the model doesn't pass the smell test. Bullis at #4 with wins over Loyola and Gillman and two losses? Hmm.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's true that Bullis has two losses but those losses are to Gonzaga (#8) and McDonogh (#7). i.e. these are less-painful losses. and, besides beating Gilman and L-B, they beat Landon and St. S/St. A. In terms of Top 3 Wins, this is pretty darn good. In terms of Top 1 win, they're #12. But in terms of Top 3, they deserve to be where they are.

two more thoughts; 1- Look at the Rankings again. IL has them at #12. IL's Computer has them at #34. we're not so arrogant as to believe "we're right". look at the other rank-ers and metrics. No one is right. because... Are we judging based on Ws or Ls or Top 3 Ws or top 1 w or WL percentage or game scores or opponent's records or... All are legitimate metrics (though some are more legitimate than others) and... None are "right". Especially the rank-ers who rank based on the eye test. which leads me to #2- I 100% get an eye test. But, the more i play with the computer rankings and rankings based on numbers, on facts, the more i can see the blatant prejudices with eye tests. not so many eye test rank-ers for HS (which i want to change) but... for d1 men there are plenty and 2 things stand-out for me. one is the lack of logic in the picks and, two, the amount of group think. by using numbers and an eye test and then number s again and then eye and... you can create a pretty solid ranking. the problem is that it takes time and it's difficult to duplicate the next week. but, and the numbers llok great and... the rank-ers have picks that are off (which isn't that interesting) and... the picks that are off are shared by the different rank-ers (which i do find interesting). usually based on the brand of a team. anyway...

tell me this, currently, teams are being ranked based on 5 games played and their Top 3 Wins. at this point in the season, what number of wins do you think a team should be judged on? (It can't be all wins. if it was, Culver and other teams with Tough Opponents as well as really not tough opponents would suffer when they really shouldn't. just as long as they beat the Big Boys, their beating up on weaker schools should be irrelevant.) Top 1 win? 2? Currently it's 3. If we did 4 or 5, people's heads would explode and... rightly so.

Not this season, but, hopefully, next, we'll have the site set-up so you'll be able to plug this in yourself and, so to speak, create your own ranking. anyway, that's the plan.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”