HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

HS Boys Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: We've updated the NATIONAL and REGIONAL COMPUTER RANKINGS and... Let the complaints begin! Lest you forget, (1) the Rankings are based on what teams have done in *2019* and (2) Teams with 1-3 games are included with an asterisks.
Zlax

Re: HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

Post by Zlax »

I’m missing how HS teams register. Please advise. Thanks.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Zlax wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 pm I’m missing how HS teams register. Please advise. Thanks.
Don’t need to register, all possible contenders are swept in.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

Based on what? I do see some struggling teams included. How do you get your scores?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

And I see lots of missing/incorrect results that completely wipe out many of the NE rankings.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

I’m an old ex Lax Power junkie who appreciates the efforts being made here. Hopefully t’s are being crossed and i’s are being dotted and this ends up to be a great service to the lax community.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:05 pm And I see lots of missing/incorrect results that completely wipe out many of the NE rankings.
Like which? So they can amend them.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zlax: which team?
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

Two teams from sec 6 NY have played games but are not on the Northeast listing yet( the bulk of the section haven’t played yet due to field issues). East Aurora and Lew Port. That’s why I previously asked how you received game results. Are people sending game results in and, if so, how is that done? Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Updated - Mar 25

PS Z, take a look. We have both.
Zlax

Post by Zlax »

I see. Still wondering how you get game scores. Are teams calling in, would that help? I know I spend time entering our sectional scores that are not being submitted to max prep and IL.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ek-3/54107

McDonogh on top for now with some great and high quality OOC wins. I just don't think they will beat Calvert Hall twice...perhaps once, but not twice. Calvert Hall imo should have beaten Hill this year; they let one get away which they needed to have.

I think St. Anthony's could possibly have the best HS team this year (two great FOGO's, not even one!), though they have to escape Chaminade a few times as well as others gunning for them.

Salisbury has a shot at going undefeated, but they have proven in the past to not have the ability to focus and bring the energy to every game in NE West like they should.

My other call (upset, if not mild one?) is I think Culver will beat Hill.

Finally for the West Coast fanatics, St. Ignatius appears to be back in fine form, but they will get clipped hard when they visit LI in April. This is not like years' past where the LI teams had some weaknesses; this year, I expect St. I's to lose all three LI games. NO matter what, hat's off to any squad willing (and I guess, financially able) to travel cross country and play St. Anthony's, Garden City, and Chaminade three consecutive days!!! Not exactly taking it easy. (all three LI teams are really strong this year)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

National and Regional Computer Rankings have been updated. As a reminder:

1- Only teams that have played a game are included in the Rankings.
2- Every team's Starting Points are how they finished in 2018. After several games, these Starting Points are replaced with the team's 2019 Current Points. As a reminder, every team's Points effect both the team as well as the teams that have played them.
3- Our Computer System is a meritocracy. Occasionally, a legitimately good team will have lower Points than they deserve because of their Strength of Schedule. Occasionally, a legitimately bad team (in 2019) will have higher Points than they deserve because of their performance in 2018 or otherwise. In the long-term, after literally a handful of games, this should balance out.

NEW: Delbarton (NJ), Noble & Greenough (MA), Mountain Lakes (NJ), Homer (NY), Avon Old Farms (CT), New Hampton (NH), Upper Dublin (PA), and many more.

HIGHLIGHTS: Brunswick (CT) beat Boys Latin (MD), Loomis Chaffee (CT) beat Noble & Greenough (MA).
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

admin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:31 pm National and Regional Computer Rankings have been updated. As a reminder:

1- Only teams that have played a game are included in the Rankings.
2- Every team's Starting Points are how they finished in 2018. After several games, these Starting Points are replaced with the team's 2019 Current Points. As a reminder, every team's Points effect both the team as well as the teams that have played them.
3- Our Computer System is a meritocracy. Occasionally, a legitimately good team will have lower Points than they deserve because of their Strength of Schedule. Occasionally, a legitimately bad team (in 2019) will have higher Points than they deserve because of their performance in 2018 or otherwise. In the long-term, after literally a handful of games, this should balance out.

NEW: Delbarton (NJ), Noble & Greenough (MA), Mountain Lakes (NJ), Homer (NY), Avon Old Farms (CT), New Hampton (NH), Upper Dublin (PA), and many more.

HIGHLIGHTS: Brunswick (CT) beat Boys Latin (MD), Loomis Chaffee (CT) beat Noble & Greenough (MA).

Just out of curiosity and not picking nits because I'm sure this poll sorts itself out over the next 3-4 weeks, but how does Calvert Hall today find themselves at #31 when BL sits at #11, accounting for last year plus 5-7 games this year already under their belts? CHC has had some good wins, one tough OT loss to a top-5 team; BL has been absolutely smoked in 3 games (I mean, smoked...). It seems strange that this could even be the case, and again, I realize it's way early, but that one sort of pops out right away as a strange situation.

Just curious is all.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

It will shake out when more teams play more games. One important thing to note is that it does not take margin of victory or defeat into account, so BL's three whippings are just 3 losses, same as if they had all been 1 goal.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:35 pmJust curious is all.
The problem for CHC (and others, including Malvern who they beat but are getting little credit for) was that we're changing their Starting Points from 2018 to 2019 too quickly. Their wins aren't amazing but... They're better than #31. So we made the corporate decision and... Look again. It makes more sense. For now, we're keeping the Starting Point as how the teams ended in 2018 and, when a team beats a team with a higher Starting Point than themselves, the Starting Point of the winning team gets increased. This way no team is truly stuck in 2018. At some point in the season, we'll need to transition 100% from 2018 to 2019 but... The time isn't right now. Teams need more time to beat teams to get their Starting Points up before we make this 2019 move.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:18 pm It will shake out when more teams play more games. One important thing to note is that it does not take margin of victory or defeat into account, so BL's three whippings are just 3 losses, same as if they had all been 1 goal.
All true. With D1, D2, NJCAA, and others with few teams (e.g. 74, 12, etc.), this issue is very different. But with HS lacrosse's nearly 4,000 teams... We can make this work and relatively early in the season. Though counter intuitive, in some ways, the 4,000 teams are easier than the 73 teams.

As for the margin of victory, we have the functionality set-up. We're just not using it (yet). At some point in the season we'll change this but, for now, we're keeping it simple.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The more I hear of St. Anthony's, the more I like their chances to run the table against a very difficult schedule.
If_Only

Post by If_Only »

Id like to keep an eye on Mountain Lakes in NJ St Anthony's in NY and Darien in CT. No prep schools just high schools
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

That’s cool if only. But where do you draw the line? If St Anthony’s meets your definition of high school, then Delbarton must as well. And Haverford, McDonogh, Brunswick, St Sebastian, etc. You are only going to leave out a small number of schools at which point you might as well just include them all.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”