HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

HS Boys Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: Delbarton and Mountain Lakes will play in the NJ Final, NY Finals are on Saturday, and... Computer Rankings and Game Scores updated. http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/06/06/201 ... gs-june-6/
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

How do you enter corrections?
Nothing major, but saw a few oddballs that stuck out while perusing.
John Carroll (MD) beat Northern (Calvert, MD) by a score of 7-5. They did not play Northfield (CO).
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Syntax error. Fixed.
NJLax80

Post by NJLax80 »

Mountain Lakes defeated Delbarton, to win the New Jersey Tournament of Champions. Final score was 12-5.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Saw that in the NJ thread. Unexpected.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HS BOYS: The HS Boys season is over so... 2019 HS Boys National Rankings-FINAL. #1 is... St. Anthonys (NY). With all 3,883 teams, we have a National Ranking, Regional Rankings, and a National Ranking with each team's 3 Best Wins and 3 Worst Losses. http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/06/24/201 ... 9-ranking/
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Very interesting, thanks for all the effort admin. I can’t really argue with St. A though on the field I would put it a toss up with the top 4, who were all outstanding. And good grief, look out for St. A next year! One nit to pick with the final rankings, nothing specific to the methodology. While Calvert Hall was fantastic, the MIAA overall was, for them, really pretty down this year, underwhelming OOC results. This ranking has 7 of their teams in the top 25, I wouldn’t put more than 3 and possibly even 2. Again, that isn’t the norm but it was a bad year for the league.
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:50 am ... One nit to pick with the final rankings, nothing specific to the methodology. While Calvert Hall was fantastic, the MIAA overall was, for them, really pretty down this year, underwhelming OOC results. This ranking has 7 of their teams in the top 25, I wouldn’t put more than 3 and possibly even 2. Again, that isn’t the norm but it was a bad year for the league.
However, at the same time, 13 of the 50 boys remaining at the U19 tryout are MIAA guys, roughly the same ratio. Seems legit to me...

:D
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Should we go into their OOC records this year vs teams not for Tennessee or North Carolina? They obviously have great players, rankings are however for game results, not player talent. If they lost so many games with such great players, maybe the coaches need replacing???😘
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The first Column (link below) is the Ranking of the relevant team's Best Win. 2nd Column is 2nd Best Win, 3rd is 3rd Best Win. 4th Column is average of the 3 Ws. (Three is a good number. Doesn't punish the teams with weaker schedules too harshly and, at the same time, doesn't let a one-hit wonder get too much credit for their singular day in the sun.) Columns 5, 6, and 7 are the ranking of the teams that were the relevant team's Worst Loss, 2nd Worst Loss, and 3rd Worst loss. 8th Column is the "Loss Ranking" of each team (which includes all the team's losses, not just the Top Three). Anyway, these numbers should give some idea of what each team's cards look like as the season's come to close. and, if nothing else, helps to tell the story of why the teams are where they are.

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/06/24/201 ... gs-1-1942/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PS Makes me happy to read people looking at CHC with clear eyes. So many Rankings and Polls have them at #1 and... It perplexes me. They may very well be the best team in the nation (they're unquestionably good), but when your best Ws are over MIAA teams and the MIAA is having a down year, How can one objectively justify calling them number 1? (The answer is "But look at their game scores" and... This doesn't hold water from where I'm sitting.) Anyway, helps my sanity to hear others speaking objectively about CHC.
BetweenTheLines

Post by BetweenTheLines »

admin wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:14 pm The first Column (link below) is the Ranking of the relevant team's Best Win. 2nd Column is 2nd Best Win, 3rd is 3rd Best Win. 4th Column is average of the 3 Ws. (Three is a good number. Doesn't punish the teams with weaker schedules too harshly and, at the same time, doesn't let a one-hit wonder get too much credit for their singular day in the sun.) Columns 5, 6, and 7 are the ranking of the teams that were the relevant team's Worst Loss, 2nd Worst Loss, and 3rd Worst loss. 8th Column is the "Loss Ranking" of each team (which includes all the team's losses, not just the Top Three). Anyway, these numbers should give some idea of what each team's cards look like as the season's come to close. and, if nothing else, helps to tell the story of why the teams are where they are.

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/06/24/201 ... gs-1-1942/
Something is off. Calvert Hall beat St. Mary's twice, but their 3W is Loyola Blakefield / #18, rather than St. Mary's / #16.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Amended. BetweenTL, thank you. HS Boys Rankings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Inside Lacrosse's Final Ranking of 2019

1. Calvert Hall (Md.), 17-1
1. Culver (Ind.), 20-1
3. St. Anthony’s (N.Y.), 15-1
4. Bullis (Md.), 21-3
5. Salisbury (Conn.), 17-1
6. Chaminade (N.Y.), 12-2
7. Massapequa (N.Y.), 18-2
8. Hill Academy (Ont.), 13-3
9. Mountain Lakes (N.J.), 19-2
10. Brunswick (Conn.), 16-2
11. Gonzaga (D.C.), 18-3
12. Delbarton (N.J.), 15-3
13. Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.), 18-3
14. St. Sebastian’s (Mass.), 18-1
15. Malvern Prep (Pa.), 16-5
16. Haverford (Pa.), 17-5
17. Torrey Pines (Calif.), 20-2
18. John Jay (N.Y.), 20-3
19. Manhasset (N.Y.), 17-3
20. Garden City (N.Y.), 16-2
21. Deerfield (Mass.), 15-3
22. Darien (Conn.), 17-5
23. Victor (N.Y.), 17-5
24. St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (Va.), 18-6
25. St. Mary’s (Md.), 13-6

Others Considered: Ward Melville (N.Y.), St. Ignatius (Calif.), Smithtown West (N.Y.), Brother Rice (Mich.), Georgetown Prep (Md.), IMG Academy (Fla.), Ponte Vedra (Fla.), Seton Hall Prep (N.J.), Mount Sinai (N.Y.)

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... o-1s/54941
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

What IL's Ranking is saying is, "We know that Calvert Hall didn't play a single team in the Top 25 (except one) nor did they play any of the 9 "Others Considered" (which translates to CHC not playing a single team in the Top 34) and we also know that Calvert Hall lost to #8 Hill but it was in OT and early in the season and our thinking is... But if they did, they would've won and won big. As a consequence, Calvert Hall is #1 in the Nation." :roll:

One more thing, Massapequa at #7? IL did this last season, too. Though last season was even more egregious. This has to be an inside joke for them.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Ramblin Man

Post by Ramblin Man »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:24 pm What IL's Ranking is saying is, "We know that Calvert Hall didn't play a single team in the Top 25 (except one) nor did they play any of the 9 "Others Considered" (which translates to CHC not playing a single team in the Top 34) and we also know that Calvert Hall lost to #8 Hill but it was in OT and early in the season and our thinking is... But if they did, they would've won and won big. As a consequence, Calvert Hall is #1 in the Nation."
What I.L. is acknowledging is that Calvert Hall had nine wins against teams in the Top 50 and three wins against the Top 25. CHC beat #15 Malvern Prep by 5 goals and then went 12-0 in the MIAA in the most dominating fashion in conference history. And this was with a gigantic bullseye on their back as the two-time defending champs. By the way, after eight failed attempts at a MIAA/MSA threepeat by conference teams over the last 46 years, CHC completed the threepeat this spring.

St. Mary’s would have been much higher, but CHC beat them twice by 4 and then by 8 in the Finals. CHC crushed BL, St. Paul’s, Loyola (twice) and Gilman, and beat McDonogh by 4 goals (up by 9 early in the 4th Q). Those blowouts contributed significantly to why those teams ended up falling outside of the Top 30. CHC’s average margin of victory in MIAA play (9.8 goals) was the highest in the last quarter century, and possibly ever.

And finally amongst all teams with one loss, the quality of CHC’s loss (in OT to Hill Academy in March) was by far the best. I’m sure they took that into account.
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:24 pm What IL's Ranking is saying is, "We know that Calvert Hall didn't play a single team in the Top 25 (except one) nor did they play any of the 9 "Others Considered" (which translates to CHC not playing a single team in the Top 34) and we also know that Calvert Hall lost to #8 Hill but it was in OT and early in the season and our thinking is... But if they did, they would've won and won big. As a consequence, Calvert Hall is #1 in the Nation." :roll:

One more thing, Massapequa at #7? IL did this last season, too. Though last season was even more egregious. This has to be an inside joke for them.
I discount about 90% of what is written by IL and stopped subscribing to their magazine long ago. The high school section is particularly egregious, as the correspondent, and I use that term loosely, openly admits he doesn't pay much attention to high school lacrosse outside of the MIAA. His opening - the MIAA is widely considered the best conference in the country - may have some historic value, but it certainly was not the case this year. There were some great high school games this year that got nary a mention, meanwhile the quarterfinals of the MIAA playoffs were all over the user interface. The MIAA has certainly produced some great teams over the years, but to cover that league almost exclusively at the expense of some other great high school teams and leagues makes IL not worth much of a read.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Ramblin Man wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:09 amSt. Mary’s would have been much higher, but CHC beat them twice by 4 and then by 8 in the Finals. CHC crushed BL, St. Paul’s, Loyola (twice) and Gilman, and beat McDonogh by 4 goals (up by 9 early in the 4th Q). Those blowouts contributed significantly to why those teams ended up falling outside of the Top 30. CHC’s average margin of victory in MIAA play (9.8 goals) was the highest in the last quarter century, and possibly ever.

And finally amongst all teams with one loss, the quality of CHC’s loss (in OT to Hill Academy in March) was by far the best. I’m sure they took that into account.
CHC was great this year, but let's not pretend that the rest of the MIAA only looked bad in comparison. St. Mary's was probably not a top 25 team this year, and it has nothing to do with the losses to Hall, which I think were mostly discounted. They made it through the rest of a down MIAA mostly unscathed (except for a savage beatdown by an up and down McDonogh team), but their OOC was hardly inspiring. They had a couple of decent wins winning comfortably against Landon and STAB (neither of which had a banner year), and they were beaten solidly by GP, SSSA, and Episcopal. Giving up 18 goals to SSSA and losing 14-4 to Episcopal are not the signs of a top 25 team.

I do agree that the one thing on the resume that CHC has going for it is they did have the best loss. Razor thin margin to a quality Hill team they probably outplayed. Culver lost close but to a much weaker team, and St. Anthony's lost to a better team but by a convincing margin.

Still, it's typical of IL's biased HS exposure that between three pretty tightly grouped teams, they discarded the Northeast squad and gave a split to the Baltimore team and one of the prep factories they love. St. Anthony's had more top 25 wins than either, plus a win over a team that also received consideration. And their 13-3 destruction of Delbarton was probably the most impressive win of any of the three teams. If you give that resume to Calvert Hall, I have no doubt IL crowns them sole possession of #1.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ramblin, what Top 25 teams did CHC beat? Malvern (at #15), St. Mary's at #25, and a 3rd?
random observer wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:32 pmIf you give that resume to Calvert Hall, I have no doubt IL crowns them sole possession of #1.
Random, there's no question. And that's my real point of contention. The lack of objectivity (which some would translate to, the lack of honesty) and the insistence on holding onto long-expired beliefs. One of those beliefs being, If you win the MIAA, you are, by definition, a Top 3 team. Win by numbers, go undefeated, you're an undeniable #1. Decades ago, when HS teams didn't travel, this was tough to argue. Today, it's proven wrong over and over again.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

PS CT, you know what their thing is with Massapequa? It's so strange it's smells like an inside joke.
Caddy Day

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”