New England West-1 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
3rdPersonPlural

Re: New England West-1 2019

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

sarum is up 10-6 with 6 left in the 4th. Loomis still looks lively, but needs a miracle to come back.

Some great lacrosse on both sides. I credit the 'bury poles for bringing this comeback together. A lot of fast breaks and broken late-stage clears caused by the knight D is the main reason this game tilted for the Pelicans
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

ctbagataway wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:50 pm Deerfield beats Taft in overtime, 8-7.
In a million years, I would not have guessed that Taft would hold Deerfield to 8 goals.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Sarum Knights win, 12-7. The Pelicans pushed them, though. Faceoffs in the second half seemed to go all for Salisbury, that certainly helped.
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

12-7 Final knights

I was in attendance and it was one of the more exciting games I’ve seen despite the rain and the score. Clean back and forth action. Loomis #8, #9 and their goalie all played well keeping them in it. Salisbury controlled the x by the dominant play of their ssdm. It seemed like anytime there was a ball on the ground he scooped and cleared the ball 30 yards, I think he was #8. Salisbury #6 caused trouble for the loomis freshman ssdm to create a lot of chances. Salisbury goalie made all of the necessary saves.

While the play on the field was good, some Salisbury parents started to chirp at Loomis students after some divisive calls. Salisbury’s up by 5 with under a minute left, a missed Push isn’t going to Change the course of the game
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Bury over Loomis and it wasn’t pretty. Wet, Windy, & Loud Parents-
Knights defense was flat and took more penalties in this game then any other this season. Pelicans have some kids that can finish and they took advantage of some defensive breakdowns. Face offs were close overall but Loomis had the advantage early. Another problem of the riches for Bury has to do with how they rotate their four attack. At times they have their three lefties on the field at once which isn’t balanced- I’d love to see them rotate one of those lefties up top at midfield for a run or two to get a SSDM match up- that should lead to instant offense.

At the end of the day they were able to beat a solid West 1 team on the road.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Anyone see the Deerfield vs Taft game. I’m surprised it was that close. Would love to hear about that one.

For bury and their attack rotation doesn’t seem to work real well. Unfortunately bringing one of the attack to mid doesn’t work great, because you have too many mids that are better than aNy of their attackman from up there. Nice problem to have. :-). In fact many of those mids could play attack. I would also say that Bury’s attack unit puts up a couple of highlight goals a game but also turn the ball over way too much. Although at the beginning of the year their attack unit played really well and maybe their strength, Lately it’s Bury’s two mid units that have been their strength. In other words. Most of the mids are better offensive players than that fourth attackman they bring in. I would imagine that when they play wick they will leave the three main attackman in and rotate their two mid lines in pretty evenly. As stated by someone else, that seems to work well.

Looking forward to the Hill vs wick matchup this week!
Bdawg

Post by Bdawg »

Da v Taft - was there. Tight game. Da survived in spite of not playing their best and tough calls by refs. Shouldn’t have been ot game but Taft was fighting hard to win. Da struggled a bit to find Rythm after going up early and getting better end of play etc. lots of physical transition plays that caused alot of drama...refs had hard time with calls, seemingly favoring home team. In spite of that, Da was up 2 goals with 3 mins left and Taft tied game with crazy homer calls In last 2 mins in my view.

Both goalies were really good in home stretch and Da won in ot. Da won a game not playing their best with refs not helping.....watch out for da as they hit their stride.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Taft away for DA has been a historical "trap game" with very spotty results for DA boy's lax playing away at that place, even when favored (sometimes heavily). That "curse of Taft away" goes back to my era for cripes sakes. I thought it might be in the water, but it's interesting to hear the possibility homer refs still exist in this day and age! :D :shock:
grelch

Post by grelch »

I watched a few minutes of Taft v DA from each qtr. W/o dissecting play, mostly because I can't, it looked a very even, hard fought & physical game. I thought the outcome was a fair representation of what I saw. Both teams deserve credit for standing toe to toe.
PhishFall97

Post by PhishFall97 »

Re: DA vs Taft

Agree with the previous poster, game was very even and very physical style of play between both teams. Happy with the result and excited to see what the Big Green do the rest of the season...

In Chip We Trust.... the process...

RMFT
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Great action for tomorrow:

Avon @ Westminster - Don't know too much this season about either team, but seems like AOF has the edge.

Loomis @ Deerfield - I think this one will be close but DA takes it. Loomis keeps it close till the end.

Hill Academy @ Brunswick - Arguably one of the biggest games of the season for the Bruins and nationally. Hill always has horses (#79 Zawada and #51 Williams) who are incredible. This is one will be exciting to watch. Predictions??

Choate @ Taft - Both squads are pretty evenly matched, making for another great game which I can not predict.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Avon of Westminster
Deerfield over Loomis
Wick over Hill. But can't wait to watch this one! Should be very close.
Choate over Taft
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Great slate of games, thanks BB for getting it started. All of these are hard to pick. An 8-3 Loomis facing a DA squad that has now won 6 in a row, up at Deerfield. But the Pelicans have to be encouraged by how tough they played Bury last weekend. Loomis has the better offense, DA has a better defense (but not by much). Slight nod to the DA goalie although the Loomis keeper is solid also. Edge to Loomis at the faceoff X. Definitely a game worth watching.
No Sleep Till Wednesday
beastboyz99

Post by beastboyz99 »

Hill will be coming into this game with a BIG chip on their shoulder. After suffering their first loss handily to Culver recently and after losing handily to Brunswick last year, I believe the Hill boys are on a mission for revenge and will be hungry. Going to be a good one...
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Agree completely. No way does Hill underestimate Brunswick, and they'll have had 10 days since the Culver pounding. I'm sure Brodie has been working them hard to prepare and they will have a game plan for sure.
grelch

Post by grelch »

This year I think it's more of a case of Brunswick needing to not underestimate Hill. I'd have Wick as a 2 to 3 goal favorite going into this game.

Also, Salisbury is playing today. They're hosting Millbrook which should be relatively straight forward.

Wick v Hill: https://locallive.tv/archives/41289

DA v LC: https://livestream.com/accounts/1061656 ... mute=false

Taft v CRH: https://livestream.com/accounts/10616561/events/8652376

AOF v Westminster: https://www.avonoldfarms.com/athletics/live-stream
Last edited by grelch on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I dunno. Hill's a funny team. Last season they lost to (if I remember correctly) img and st Stephen/st Agnes and... then beat everyone including a seemingly unbeatable Culver twice.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
grelch

Post by grelch »

I think Deerfield needs to spend some of that endowment on getting their field in shape. There’s. O grass in the creases and it looks like there are pot holes all over the field.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

A day of great, evenly matched games, wish I could make the Wick or DA/Loomis.

Avon-Westy- Usually a fairly even match-up, Westy seemed to be in their usual middle of the pack can beat the bottom half and often play the top half close until the shellacking from Salisbury. Now, based on my pre-season take of Bury's talent, they should have been doing that to most teams so maybe they just put it together or maybe Westy is a bit down. AOF is not quite what they were the past few years but have a bright future is Johnson just grows a bit, he will be unstoppable. AOF 10-7

Loomis-DA- Great game. Loomis certainly much improved on the year and DA much improved over the course of the year. I think the Pelicans will keep it close but not sure they have the firepower to put up enough to pull it out. DA 11-7

Choate-Taft- A battle of ferocious mascots and solid teams. Very impressed with Taft's effort vs Deerfield. If they can bring that intensity they win here. Much like Loomis, Choate is improved this year, the battle vs AOF was epic. They have nice wins over Westy and Lawrenceville, otherwise have played some cream puffs. I really have no idea, I'll take the Rhinos 12-11.

Wick-Hill- The big one. Agree that Hill will be in a frenzy after losing handily to Wick last year (that was a sloppy game by Wick in the gloaming) and getting unexpectedly pasted by Culver. I am certainly pulling for Wick but am very nervous about this one. for league pride, i'll say Wick 13-11.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Wick's going to need a big second half. They're chasing shadows right now. Hill are relentless.

3rd qtr, not sure playing stall ball was the right strategy by Hill. They've lost the momentum. Because in the 4th, Wick has come back to tie this. They've been dominant at X and they've made it count. 2 mins left.
Last edited by grelch on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”