xxxxxxx

Re: MAAC

Post by xxxxxxx »

All Conf and Award winners announced, congrats to all:

https://maacsports.com/news/2019/5/1/20 ... unced.aspx
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Q's seniors looked a little irritated about maybe both the MAAC awards and their season. Looked like men against boys at every position. Not a good showing from the Titans at all.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

flyerfan17 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:53 pm Q's seniors looked a little irritated about maybe both the MAAC awards and their season. Looked like men against boys at every position. Not a good showing from the Titans at all.
Understatement, WOW! Chased the MAAC DPOY Shamblin in 1st quarter. Dominant, dominant performance by QU today.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

Well, here we are. QU vs Marist for MAAC title.

Detroit Mercy got curb stomped and Marist got into an epic back & forth battle from my beloved Griffs, but hung on to win.

99.9% of the time, I'd say the chipper tomorrow was a slam dunk for Marist @ home, but after watching QU systematically dismantle D.M yesterday, I'm going to go with QU to win MAAC title tomorrow morning.

Thoughts here?
Sticksup

Post by Sticksup »

I'm gonna stick with Marist for the win. The QU offense will rely heavy on their attack which is probably better for Marist. Not that Marist will completely shut their attack down but I think their close D and goalie play will do enough to mitigate scoring like we saw yesterday against DM. Face offs will be huge tomorrow and if Marist can possess they have 5 or 6 guys that can put up points. Nothing comes easy in the MAAC and probably come down to a 1 goal difference. Should be a battle.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

I'm not allowed to shoot anymore, strictly a ssdm from here on out but my thoughts are it's probably the 2 best teams left and if Q can keep the emotional level up they will be tough to beat. Whoever has the biggest chip on their shoulder takes it
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I was surprised :o to see that Marist has 22 players from Nassau and Suffolk on their roster.Likely as many if not more that SBU and Hofstra.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:44 pm I was surprised :o to see that Marist has 22 players from Nassau and Suffolk on their roster.Likely as many if not more that SBU and Hofstra.
Wilkinson has done a good job recruiting LI for a while now. Siena used to and they don't anymore. Haven't been near a title for a while either. Quinnipiac has had a few from the better programs and they have won there
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Really entertaining and quality final game. Coming into the season, I certainly didn't think this would be the finals matchup. Marist was coming off a 3-12 season where they fired an assistant midseason and graduated their two best players. Quinnipiac had the program suspended for the fall, an interim coach, and some key players missing the first 5 games. It's a testament to both program's staffs and players that they deservingly made it this far. With QU scoring on their first 4 possessions, it felt like it might be headed to a repeat of the QU vs. UDM semi final where QU ran away with it early. But Marist answered with some efficient offense of their own to only be down 6-4 after 1. The scoring would continue to be back and forth the rest of the game. Both teams had leads of as much as 3. Face offs, shots on goal, EMO goals, and failed clears were exactly even. Saves were a difference of 1. QU was much better on ground balls but that was largely offset by Marist committing fewer turnovers. I thought QU's slow to go calls on J. Embury were not smart. Embury dominated his matchup with Nalls, but they stuck with the slow or non existent slides and paid for it. On the other hand, Fletcher did a lot of damage vs. Marist in the regular season game and had 7 and 2 in the semis against UDM. Marist changed that matchup from the regular season to have Andrle primarily cover him and he rewarded that decision with an all-tournament team effort.

Both teams had a big defensive gaffe in the final 2:30, Marist was able to capitalize and Quinnipiac wasn't. With a dead ball and 6 seconds left on the shot clock, QU wasn't guarding closely and let an attackman, Pirecca, take a run at a shortie who didn't come close to landing a check as Pirecca blew by him and shot off stick side high to put Marist up 2. On QU's final possession, Mackay was somehow left wide open in a good shooting spot with no slide ready despite Cuomo not having Sarrocco beat when he fed Mackay. Fortunately for Marist, Mackay's shot rung off the pipe and they were able to essentially run out the clock. Most prognosticators have Marist hosting UMBC in the PIG, we'll see Sunday night.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Good luck to the Redfoxes on Wednesday in the NCAAs.
Sticksup

Post by Sticksup »

Haven't seen UMBC play this year but they seem to have pulled it together recently. I don't think the Redfoxes have a win against them to date but maybe this time it will be different. It was great to see the Red Foxes win on Saturday in a great back and forth game. Marist and QU were two teams that were for the most part overlooked and expected to finish 5th and 3rd respectively in the MAAC. The Marist freshman have a great future and I doubt this will be their last championship ring. It was a great match up with QU having some outstanding players and Marist having many players play outstanding. Congrats to both on a great season and an entertaining championship game.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Big game for the MAAC and Marist, I really like their chances, as everyone knows a good FOGO can be a difference maker. It would be great for them and the conf to make it to Saturday. Red Foxes played great down the stretch and can score. Lets Goooooo
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

This is the MAAC's best chance to advance since Quinnipiac did it in 2016. That team played number one Maryland tough after beating Hartford easily in the play-in game. They were a physically dominant team though, the 2019 Marist team isn't like that but has plenty of recency with UMBC and all 3 games could have gone either way. Would expect another close one and hope the great home field advantage that I think will be there tonight pushes the Foxes over the top. Penn State is another issue...
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Marist didn't have any answers for the zone Moran switched to last night. Not totally surprised but I thought the inexperience of the Foxes staff kind of showed itself. The higher you go the more adjusting on the fly comes into play. When the invert dragged the shortie behind the cage it was open season for UMBC too
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

flyerfan17 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:27 pm Marist didn't have any answers for the zone Moran switched to last night. Not totally surprised but I thought the inexperience of the Foxes staff kind of showed itself. The higher you go the more adjusting on the fly comes into play. When the invert dragged the shortie behind the cage it was open season for UMBC too
Agree completely with all of this. Very frustrating end to an otherwise great bounce back season. I would have felt great about Marist's chances if you told me they would win 70% of face offs and be perfect on clears. But you have to tip your cap to UMBC for out coaching and out playing Marist in 6 v 6 on both ends. Marist had no apparent adjustment to UMBC's switch to zone after taking a quick 2-0 lead vs. man. No 1-4-1 overloads or backside seals and slips. Just looking for skip passes off no movement, which was also the EMO strategy that was successful less than 25% of the time on the season. UMBC's back up GK also did a nice job when called upon after the starter struggled. On the other end, Marist probably should have went zone themselves. UMBC's first 6 goals and 8 of first 10 goals were unassisted. UMBC just had too much speed for most Marist defenders in 1 v 1 situations, especially the shorties whom UMBC made it a point to dodge on from up top and inverts. Looking ahead, I think Marist should be improved in 2020 and have a good shot at being the first MAAC team to repeat since Providence in '06-'07 if the staff can develop cogent offensive sets vs. zone. They bring back an excellent fogo, very solid GK, essentially the entire offense + add a FR who I think is a conference rookie of the year type talent in Kellen Pulera from St. Joe's in Buffalo. Defensively, losing 1st team All-MAAC Sarrocco and a long time verbal commit to Denver hurts, but that unit can be much more efficient if the staff can find replacements at close and ssdm in the transfer portal, existing roster, or incoming freshman who can bring more athleticism, speed, and stick skills.

Of course, the rest of the league may also be much improved. I think the 4 playoff teams in '19 will all be back in '20. Does Quinnipiac remove the interim tag from Poli or go in a different direction is the big offseason question. There is currently no job posting on QU's employment site for the position. QU and Canisius each lose 2 high scoring attackmen but will both still be strong threats with the return of 2 first team All MAAC performers on offense. QU also has a strong fogo while Canisius has arguably the best close defensemen in the conference coming back. UDM brings back the LSM and GK of the year, 2 2nd team defensemen, a 2nd team middie, and a 2nd team fogo. But UDM loses Vangalen at attack who accounted for 40% of the team's assists so you wonder if they can fill his shoes in terms of initiating offense. The blowout loss to QU in the semifinals was also concerning. Monmouth finally looked like the preseason #1 team in their final game vs. Siena, but don't bring anyone back who scored more than 11 goals. Gleason did a real nice job his first year at Siena, the Saints were very efficient offensively the majority of the year. But they lose their top 2 scorers, have question marks on defense and in goal, and had a very late start on recruiting the incoming class. Manhattan again returns a lot of production, but that's been the case for a few seasons and it hasn't translated to many wins in conference play yet. I'll be very interested in St. Bonaventure's progress. Monmouth also went winless in their first season. They went on the make the conference tournament in their 2nd season. I think the overall strength of the league in 2020 vs. 2015 will prevent St. Bonaventure from achieving the same feat, but won't be surprised if they win a couple of games.
Sticksup

Post by Sticksup »

Have not checked the thread in a while. I'm pretty sure Marist will be the team to beat in the MAAC next year. A lot of youth on the starting team and many of them are just getting used to the speed at this level. Next year should be their best chance with most pieces of the puzzle still in place especially at the F/O position. Although no matter the conference it is hard to reach the tournament final I think this years Marist freshman get at least one more ring.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

Sticksup wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 pm Have not checked the thread in a while. I'm pretty sure Marist will be the team to beat in the MAAC next year. A lot of youth on the starting team and many of them are just getting used to the speed at this level. Next year should be their best chance with most pieces of the puzzle still in place especially at the F/O position. Although no matter the conference it is hard to reach the tournament final I think this years Marist freshman get at least one more ring.
As much as it pains me to say after reading this post, I have to say it: FACTS.

I'm not sure anyone in the conference will be able to compete on the level Marist should be on for the next couple of years in my opinion. They should be the class of the conference for sure and I don't think it will be close. :x
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

McGriff wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:45 pm
Sticksup wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 pm Have not checked the thread in a while. I'm pretty sure Marist will be the team to beat in the MAAC next year. A lot of youth on the starting team and many of them are just getting used to the speed at this level. Next year should be their best chance with most pieces of the puzzle still in place especially at the F/O position. Although no matter the conference it is hard to reach the tournament final I think this years Marist freshman get at least one more ring.

I'm not sure anyone in the conference will be able to compete on the level Marist should be on for the next couple of years in my opinion. They should be the class of the conference for sure and I don't think it will be close. :x
Marist is very good but I am not sure I agree. The MAAC has had six different champions in the last six years. it may have the most parody of any league in D1. Several other teams are quite capable of winning it next year. Marist was 6-1 in the conference and every game was decided by four goals or less with the exception on St Bonaventure. This conference is wide open.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:17 pm
McGriff wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:45 pm

Marist is very good but I am not sure I agree. The MAAC has had six different champions in the last six years. it may have the most parody of any league in D1. Several other teams are quite capable of winning it next year. Marist was 6-1 in the conference and every game was decided by four goals or less with the exception on St Bonaventure. This conference is wide open.
Q isn't going anywhere, Monmouth will be improving and feel like Siena is on the improve. Canisius always dangerous and one of these years Detroit will go all the way. Sometimes those freshmen rings are really tough to get again. All depends on leadership
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

redfoxalum wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:13 am
flyerfan17 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:27 pm Marist didn't have any answers for the zone Moran switched to last night. Not totally surprised but I thought the inexperience of the Foxes staff kind of showed itself. The higher you go the more adjusting on the fly comes into play. When the invert dragged the shortie behind the cage it was open season for UMBC too
Agree completely with all of this. Very frustrating end to an otherwise great bounce back season. I would have felt great about Marist's chances if you told me they would win 70% of face offs and be perfect on clears. But you have to tip your cap to UMBC for out coaching and out playing Marist in 6 v 6 on both ends. Marist had no apparent adjustment to UMBC's switch to zone after taking a quick 2-0 lead vs. man. No 1-4-1 overloads or backside seals and slips. Just looking for skip passes off no movement, which was also the EMO strategy that was successful less than 25% of the time on the season. UMBC's back up GK also did a nice job when called upon after the starter struggled. On the other end, Marist probably should have went zone themselves. UMBC's first 6 goals and 8 of first 10 goals were unassisted. UMBC just had too much speed for most Marist defenders in 1 v 1 situations, especially the shorties whom UMBC made it a point to dodge on from up top and inverts. Looking ahead, I think Marist should be improved in 2020 and have a good shot at being the first MAAC team to repeat since Providence in '06-'07 if the staff can develop cogent offensive sets vs. zone. They bring back an excellent fogo, very solid GK, essentially the entire offense + add a FR who I think is a conference rookie of the year type talent in Kellen Pulera from St. Joe's in Buffalo. Defensively, losing 1st team All-MAAC Sarrocco and a long time verbal commit to Denver hurts, but that unit can be much more efficient if the staff can find replacements at close and ssdm in the transfer portal, existing roster, or incoming freshman who can bring more athleticism, speed, and stick skills.

Of course, the rest of the league may also be much improved. I think the 4 playoff teams in '19 will all be back in '20. Does Quinnipiac remove the interim tag from Poli or go in a different direction is the big offseason question. There is currently no job posting on QU's employment site for the position. QU and Canisius each lose 2 high scoring attackmen but will both still be strong threats with the return of 2 first team All MAAC performers on offense. QU also has a strong fogo while Canisius has arguably the best close defensemen in the conference coming back. UDM brings back the LSM and GK of the year, 2 2nd team defensemen, a 2nd team middie, and a 2nd team fogo. But UDM loses Vangalen at attack who accounted for 40% of the team's assists so you wonder if they can fill his shoes in terms of initiating offense. The blowout loss to QU in the semifinals was also concerning. Monmouth finally looked like the preseason #1 team in their final game vs. Siena, but don't bring anyone back who scored more than 11 goals. Gleason did a real nice job his first year at Siena, the Saints were very efficient offensively the majority of the year. But they lose their top 2 scorers, have question marks on defense and in goal, and had a very late start on recruiting the incoming class. Manhattan again returns a lot of production, but that's been the case for a few seasons and it hasn't translated to many wins in conference play yet. I'll be very interested in St. Bonaventure's progress. Monmouth also went winless in their first season. They went on the make the conference tournament in their 2nd season. I think the overall strength of the league in 2020 vs. 2015 will prevent St. Bonaventure from achieving the same feat, but won't be surprised if they win a couple of games.
Garnished? Hehe. Just breaking balls here redfoxalum

"The freshmen of @Marist_MensLax came to play this season! Congrats to the four who garnished recognition on @College_Crosse's All-Freshmen team!"

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”