MAAC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flyerfan17

Re: MAAC

Post by flyerfan17 »

Amazingly the season doesn't come down to the final week. The 4 best teams are in the conference playoffs and it's wide open as to who will win. Don't see any advantage in seeding other than having to play Marist on their home field which hasn't proven overwhelming in past MAAC playoffs held there. Should be 3 good games
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Correction, for some reason forgot Canisius lost to Manhattan....Siena still can get in with a win and Canisius loss to Marist, and can throw Quinnipiac in a 3 way if they were to lose to Manhattan. Final week still in play as it looked like it would be all year
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

So, for the Griffs, it shakes out like this if I understand it correctly:

Win vs Marist on ESPNU Friday and you're in as #1 seed

Lose, and unless Monmouth beats Sienna, you're out of the MAAC Tournament as #5

Do I have that right MAAC'tion fans?

What a tangled web the Griffs have wove for themselves with that atrocious loss to Manhattan Friday. 7-3 lead at half, go goal-less in 2nd half and lose 8-7. Wow.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

McGriff wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 am Win vs Marist on ESPNU Friday and you're in as #1 seed
Lose, and unless Monmouth beats Sienna, you're out of the MAAC Tournament as #5
Very close. If Canisius loses, Quinny loses (to Manhattan), and Siena wins, there's a 3 way tie for 3rd-5th, and I'm not sure how that would shake out.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

In a 3 way tie with Canisius, Siena and Quinnipiac the Griffs would get in by virtue of a plus 2 goal differential in games between the 3 teams (mini-conference). Obviously a tie between just Siena and Canisius and the spot goes to Siena because of their win over the Griffs
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

flyerfan17 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:09 pm In a 3 way tie with Canisius, Siena and Quinnipiac the Griffs would get in by virtue of a plus 2 goal differential in games between the 3 teams (mini-conference). Obviously a tie between just Siena and Canisius and the spot goes to Siena because of their win over the Griffs
Thank you & thanks everyone else for the input & insight!
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Hard to believe Canisius needs help to get in now
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Is that Canisius or Caneeshush?

Sorry for that dig, McGriff, but for someone who follows the MAAC you really should know how to spell all the schools’ names.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:17 pm Is that Canisius or Caneeshush?

Sorry for that dig, McGriff, but for someone who follows the MAAC you really should know how to spell all the schools’ names.
If you were sorry for the dig, you wouldn’t have taken it, grammar police strike again. Get a life.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:17 pm Is that Canisius or Caneeshush?

Doesn't look like I'v ever spelled Canisius wrong in any of these posts nor have I EVER tried to portray CC as any better than any others in the MAAC so I'm going to assume the play on words of "CaneeSHUSH" is your dig???? So if you're all puffed up and enjoying Marists win today or Cansius's bad losses this year, enjoy, don't think I've ever puffed up or come on ANY lax forum and beat my chest ever before about CC nor will I ever. Enjoy your dig, it was stupid.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Sienna’s a color.

If you’re going to follow the MAAC you should at least know the members.
Sticksup

Post by Sticksup »

Will be interesting how the final games play out today. Nothing would be a major surprise. Not really surprised to see Marist take the top spot either. Although I still feel Marist is the most balanced of all the MAAC teams it really could have been any one of the top 4 teams getting the 1 seed. The tournament is going to be a dogfight no matter who gets in. All 3 matches will most likely be decided by a goal or two.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Wouldn't say a Siena no show, more a Monmouth having their say. QU-Detroit been a little one sided but this one could go either way and tough for Marist to beat Canisius twice in less than 2 weeks unless the Foxes are just better, then it's not so tough...
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

After all of the scenarios in play heading into the last week, the only tie breaker needed was head to head between Detroit Mercy and Quinnipiac who were going to play each other regardless. I think everyone expects 3 tight games. The schedule had been 1 vs 4 at 4 PM and 2 vs 3 at 7 PM. That has since been flipped on the MAAC's site.

https://maacsports.com/tournaments/?id=1554&path=mlax

Semifinal Game 1 No. 2 Quinnipiac vs No. 3 Detroit Mercy May 2 4:00 PM ESPN+
Semifinal Game 2 No. 1 Marist vs No. 4 Canisius May 2 7:00 PM ESPN+
Championship Game 3 Game 1 Winner vs Game 2 Winner May 4 10:00 AM ESPNU

Quinnipiac beat Detroit Mercy 12-9 in CT on 3/16, the first conference game for QU and 2nd for UDM. Both GK's had big days - QU's DiMuccio had 17 saves and UDM's Shamblin had 16. QU went 15/25 on face offs despite UDM having significantly better face off numbers on the year. It was a strange game in terms of penalties. 10 penalties were called, the first 5 all on UDM and the last 5 all on QU. QU and UDM both have scored exactly 10.54 goals per game. UDM has been sloppy with the ball, they are 71/73 in D1 in turnovers, committing over 20 per game. However, QU is only 70/73 in causing turnovers. QU will need their 4 main offensive threats to be characteristically productive, as they were in the first game. UDM will need to limit the unforced turnovers in order to see a better result this time and probably not have Vangalen held to no goals.

Conversely, the other semi final features 2 teams that just played, with Marist beating Canisius 10-8 on Friday in Buffalo in a game in which neither GK played as well as they have for most of the season. Marist might have become the first team in D1 history to ever win a game in which they only caused 2 turnovers, which is mostly thanks to Smith winning 17/21 face offs with an assist to improving freshmen on offense. Miyashita's post game comments referenced conceding transition opportunities that Marist capitalized on, which they discussed during the week. Marist's clearing game remains a train wreck overall, but they do have some athletic offensive players who can push in transition. I'll be interested to see what, if any, adjustments the coaches make less than a week later. For Canisius, I'd consider having Garlent take face offs. Smith was winning most draws to himself, Garlent might at least be able to cause a turnover after the face off. I'd also consider mixing in a zone as a different look vs. such a young Marist offense. For Marist, Buck had a field day against them going for 4 and 1, with 3 of the goals unassisted. I'd consider changing that matchup or at least sliding early. I'd also be shutting off attackmen when Canisius's 2nd midfield is in. I wouldn't make any philosophical changes offensively, they were fine other than shooting themselves in the foot with careless turnovers under no pressure. I think it comes down to pace of play, faster will be better for Marist and slower better for Canisius.
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

redfoxalum wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 pm After all of the scenarios in play heading into the last week, the only tie breaker needed was head to head between Detroit Mercy and Quinnipiac who were going to play each other regardless. I think everyone expects 3 tight games. The schedule had been 1 vs 4 at 4 PM and 2 vs 3 at 7 PM. That has since been flipped on the MAAC's site.

https://maacsports.com/tournaments/?id=1554&path=mlax

Semifinal Game 1 No. 2 Quinnipiac vs No. 3 Detroit Mercy May 2 4:00 PM ESPN+
Semifinal Game 2 No. 1 Marist vs No. 4 Canisius May 2 7:00 PM ESPN+
Championship Game 3 Game 1 Winner vs Game 2 Winner May 4 10:00 AM ESPNU

Quinnipiac beat Detroit Mercy 12-9 in CT on 3/16, the first conference game for QU and 2nd for UDM. Both GK's had big days - QU's DiMuccio had 17 saves and UDM's Shamblin had 16. QU went 15/25 on face offs despite UDM having significantly better face off numbers on the year. It was a strange game in terms of penalties. 10 penalties were called, the first 5 all on UDM and the last 5 all on QU. QU and UDM both have scored exactly 10.54 goals per game. UDM has been sloppy with the ball, they are 71/73 in D1 in turnovers, committing over 20 per game. However, QU is only 70/73 in causing turnovers. QU will need their 4 main offensive threats to be characteristically productive, as they were in the first game. UDM will need to limit the unforced turnovers in order to see a better result this time and probably not have Vangalen held to no goals.

Conversely, the other semi final features 2 teams that just played, with Marist beating Canisius 10-8 on Friday in Buffalo in a game in which neither GK played as well as they have for most of the season. Marist might have become the first team in D1 history to ever win a game in which they only caused 2 turnovers, which is mostly thanks to Smith winning 17/21 face offs with an assist to improving freshmen on offense. Miyashita's post game comments referenced conceding transition opportunities that Marist capitalized on, which they discussed during the week. Marist's clearing game remains a train wreck overall, but they do have some athletic offensive players who can push in transition. I'll be interested to see what, if any, adjustments the coaches make less than a week later. For Canisius, I'd consider having Garlent take face offs. Smith was winning most draws to himself, Garlent might at least be able to cause a turnover after the face off. I'd also consider mixing in a zone as a different look vs. such a young Marist offense. For Marist, Buck had a field day against them going for 4 and 1, with 3 of the goals unassisted. I'd consider changing that matchup or at least sliding early. I'd also be shutting off attackmen when Canisius's 2nd midfield is in. I wouldn't make any philosophical changes offensively, they were fine other than shooting themselves in the foot with careless turnovers under no pressure. I think it comes down to pace of play, faster will be better for Marist and slower better for Canisius.
What a solid breakdown. The Marist/CC breakdown is exactly what I was thinking about today. Smith was absolutely dominant, that was the key to the game Friday and will be again Saturday, no doubt it my mind. Thank you for always sharing great insight and opinion. Your posts are always really well done & articulated redfoxalum.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Think Marist is the favorite even without the home field advantage. Canisius would be the team most likely to beat the Foxes so maybe not the greatest draw. Don't see Quinnipiac having the defense to win this nor the balanced scoring. Most good teams can limit Cuomo because he's basically one way and the threats from the midfield aren't there. Detroit should have learned enough from the first meeting to get it done here. Going to pick the Titans to win it all so that doesn't bode well for them
Sticksup

Post by Sticksup »

Good points from RFA and FF. I'll have to disagree with FF. While all 4 teams have their strengths and weaknesses I think Marist face off will be the difference as it has been most of the season. Agreed that Canisius is probably the opponent you wouldn't want in the first round but I think Marist gets the win. I'm not sure if any other conference in div 1 mens lacrosse has such evenly matched teams competing in their tourneys. Going with Marist to win the MAAC but it's going to be a dogfight.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Sticksup wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:02 pm Good points from RFA and FF. I'll have to disagree with FF. While all 4 teams have their strengths and weaknesses I think Marist face off will be the difference as it has been most of the season. Agreed that Canisius is probably the opponent you wouldn't want in the first round but I think Marist gets the win. I'm not sure if any other conference in div 1 mens lacrosse has such evenly matched teams competing in their tourneys. Going with Marist to win the MAAC but it's going to be a dogfight.
It is very evenly matched and wouldn't be surprised by anything actually. Will say Marist plays with an edge that sometimes hurts them and sometimes helps them. Should be 3 great games
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Going to keep shooting till I score....

Detroit 13 Quinnipiac 11

Canisius 9 Marist 8 OT

Detroit 12 Canisius 8
Sticksup

Post by Sticksup »

I'll take a crack at it.......

Quinnipiac 12 Detroit 11
Marist 13 Canisius 9
Marist 11 Quinnipiac 10

Quinnipiac seems to have enough offensively to get past the Detroit defense. Should be a back and forth game. I think the faceoff play for Marist might be too much for Canisius to overcome in semi. Final game a toss up but I really think Marist gets it done again on Saturday.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”