TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldsportsfan

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by oldsportsfan »

tb toad wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:46 am Hats off to Anish who closed the door for anyone else in the race for the Pulitzer Prize in journalism with his philosophic breakthrough, "The only way to beat Penn St. is to outscore them". Wonder if that can be applied to other sports as well.

Thanks sooo much.
I had the mute on so I didn't hear this gem.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

DALaxDad wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 am
thetruth wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:52 pm Drink every time either Anish or Quint refers to some player as a former high school football player. It’s as if they’re trying to justify the sports athletic chops by saying “hey, these guys played football in high school!!”
I think this urge to justify permeates their presentation. Let the play on the field show the players abilities. No need to hype - the players are really good.
.....and some will play professionally.
https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/f ... 0512lu8s3f
oldsportsfan

Post by oldsportsfan »

thetruth wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:52 pm Drink every time either Anish or Quint refers to some player as a former high school football player. It’s as if they’re trying to justify the sports athletic chops by saying “hey, these guys played football in high school!!”
I think this urge to justify permeates their presentation. Let the play on the field show the players abilities. No need to hype - the players are really good.
How about a drink every time Carc says "absolutely a stud, a beast, the best in lax"
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

renault wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Also pretty embarrassing that Carc dresses like a 19-year-old every time he's on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOMbqPHFwo
Right. But did Boyle pi$$ off someone in ESPN wardrobe dept? He looked like they only gave him one suit and one tie and someone cut the sleeves off his dress shirt on Saturday and he drew the short straw and got the button down collar on Sunday. Left his razor and his hair product in his old locker at Princeton. Either that or ESPN ran out. "Oh Geez...Sorry Ryan we really needed it for SVP!"

Loved the tiny too tight tie knot too. My friends and I used to do that in 1968 to make our necks look thicker. Stopped just last year. :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Boyle kills me, GQ aint gonna come a callin' to put him on their cover, he always looks like that (every time I've seen him anyway), don't think he suffers much from the vanity curse. Always looks as if he did a bong hit or two before coming on the air too. Not knocking him at all, I like what he brings to the booth.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Please stop telling stories about the players while the game is going on. Call the plays. Explain the calls. I don’t want to hear about the haircuts you have them.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

reLAX wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:18 pm
Please stop telling stories about the players while the game is going on. Call the plays. Explain the calls. I don’t want to hear about the haircuts you have them. It’s almost as if they the game is a background to give them a place to talk.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

reLAX wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:19 pm
reLAX wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:18 pm
Please stop telling stories about the players while the game is going on. Call the plays. Explain the calls. I don’t want to hear about the haircuts you have them. It’s almost as if they think the game is a background to give them a place to talk.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone else hear Quint blame the buddy pass on the Loyola SSDM helmet to helmet hit on the defenseless PSU player? Maybe Quint has taken a few too many shots to the noggin'.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 pm Anyone else hear Quint blame the buddy pass on the Loyola SSDM helmet to helmet hit on the defenseless PSU player? Maybe Quint has taken a few too many shots to the noggin'.
Lined the guy up with 7 seconds left in the quarter. How about Quint saying "not a smart play"....That's a penalty in the NFL....
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

The between semifinal games show rolling right now in the ESPN studio is a hoot. The announcer's Mom's should have pinned "I dressed myself today" cards onto their backpacks. Boyle's white sneakers are epic. Okay, back to lax...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I am amazed that Anish is actually trying to do PxP, separating himself Paul and QK.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

QK said every Kelly shot on goal has been left-handed and then proceeded to call him the best shooter in the nation. Now 78 goals, all left. ZERO right.

Impressive totals, but holy hell, defenses can’t fare a little better to stop this and force some right-handed shots?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

How many times can they say one guy was the last one added to a class.

Tired of Carc pushing rule changes on the FO. Play defense. PSU is in the game. So was GT.

Hated the year they did away with the FO. Everyone hated it. Lasted one year
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

+1
New2lax

Post by New2lax »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:00 pm I am amazed that Anish is actually trying to do PxP, separating himself Paul and QK.
OMG they are annoying and in love 🥰 with PSU. I wish we were able to watch and listen to other announcers.....ughhhh👎🏻
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

OCanada wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:35 pm How many times can they say one guy was the last one added to a class.

Tired of Carc pushing rule changes on the FO. Play defense. PSU is in the game. So was GT.

Still don't understand why the faceoff is played with the Back of the crosse? Why not face the crosses forward when facing off? I suppose one could still pinch and pop, but at least the ball would not be on the back of the stick. The one thing the women's game has over the men's is the faceoff...every faceoff should be a fight for the ground ball--not a mangled face off stick that often withholds the ball...IMHO
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

oldjayfan wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:14 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:35 pm How many times can they say one guy was the last one added to a class.

Still don't understand why the faceoff is played with the Back of the crosse? Why not face the crosses forward when facing off? I suppose one could still pinch and pop, but at least the ball would not be on the back of the stick. The one thing the women's game has over the men's is the faceoff...every faceoff should be a fight for the ground ball--not a mangled face off stick that often withholds the ball...IMHO
I agree, the rules actually disallow their mangled sticks in the field of play and yet the rule is completely ignored because of the actual F/O event itself. Don't get me wrong, the game still needs a faceoff, but It could be tweaked. Carc suggesting further apart..ehh that could work but would require another/wider line. Actually having the sticks front facing would/could be interesting or even lining them up with the ball centered at the end of stick head or at least above the shooters.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:26 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:14 pm

I agree, the rules actually disallow their mangled sticks in the field of play and yet the rule is completely ignored because of the actual F/O event itself. Don't get me wrong, the game still needs a faceoff, but It could be tweaked. Carc suggesting further apart..ehh that could work but would require another/wider line. Actually having the sticks front facing would/could be interesting or even lining them up with the ball centered at the end of stick head or at least above the shooters.
I turned off the volume. I do the same to Chris Webber for NBA games. Just awful.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

They spent the whole fourth quarter loving on PSU. Yale got talked up the last 2 minutes of regulation and 2 minutes of post game. Right up there with awarding the TA to Spencer.
Lux et veritas

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”