TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by admin »

The networks can't decide if lacrosse is more soccer or basketball, more full field or half court. Not so hard to do both but the emphasis needs to be on one.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

As a critic of the ESPN guys I must admit Carc was better during the Michigan ND game yesterday, still plenty of nonsense but better. Actually called the game.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Quint does his best work,IMO,interviewing wrestlers. Occasionally he does some commentary and does it well.He really understands that sport. Not sure if he'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend.If he's here,he's likely at Primanti Bros.

Quintcarcanish are,at times/often(?), too full of themselves.Their collective taste in movies,hair style and prêt-à-porter are there own.It goes in one ear and out the other. Putting fancy rags on me is like putting earrings on a hog.Thank but I choose to wallow in my own pen.

Lacrosse Gents;Just Lacrosse!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Absolutely nothing, no one better than Zealand Shannon and Doug Tarring. Classic, classy, informative...the artistry of announcing. What a pair! Like opening up a wax pack from two decades ago.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:03 am Absolutely nothing, no one better than Zealand Shannon and Doug Tarring. Classic, classy, informative...the artistry of announcing. What a pair! Like opening up a wax pack from two decades ago.
Agreed; those guys call a nice game. Always a pleasure to listen to a UVA men's or women's broadcast with Shannon and Tarring or Shannon and Dana Boyle.
DMac

Post by DMac »

admin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 am The networks can't decide if lacrosse is more soccer or basketball, more full field or half court. Not so hard to do both but the emphasis needs to be on one.
This one isn't very hard. The networks should do a little research on Dr. Naismith and see how many years he played lacrosse before he ever hung a peach basket on a pole. The only similarity of lacrosse to soccer is that there's a bunch of guys running around on a big green field. Other than that, there are none.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Wow, ENOUGH about the rule change and basketball. If you're an announcer paired with Anish, Q, or Carc you will talk about anything but the game on the field. More Zealand.
oldsportsfan

Post by oldsportsfan »

some questions. 1 - Why does ESPNU think that a interview with a haircut is a good use of half time of broadcast Lax game. 2 - Why does Carcaterra think that costume he had on while doing an interview was a good look for him. 3 - Was it cold in the locker room. His costume consisted of shorts with black leggings, an apron, and a wool skull hat pulled down to his ears. This is the guy we looked to for description of what is going on in the game.
Noonan

Post by Noonan »

ESPN should Hire the Hobart Guy. Thought he was great last night. He was a Homer, but never stopped talking, and had every name down.
Was worth watching game just for him.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

oldsportsfan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:46 am some questions. 1 - Why does ESPNU think that a interview with a haircut is a good use of half time of broadcast Lax game. 2 - Why does Carcaterra think that costume he had on while doing an interview was a good look for him. 3 - Was it cold in the locker room. His costume consisted of shorts with black leggings, an apron, and a wool skull hat pulled down to his ears. This is the guy we looked to for description of what is going on in the game.
Metrosexual??
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I can't recall the name of the color commentator that did the last two UVA games, but he is excellent. His play-by=play partner not so much. In one of the games this weekend, the play-by-play guy fell hard for two different shots into the side of the net. On the first one, the color guy quietly told him it was outside, but the pbp fella just kept going on about the quality of the shot. Color guy had to just let him finish.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
molo

Post by molo »

I believe the color guy to whom you refer is Doug Tarring, UVA '72, St. Paul's School '68. Doug coached for years at STAB and also officiated games. He was in a class with me in the ed school and probably got his master's from there somewhere around '74 or '75. Older brother Bob also played at UVA and has coached at the youth, hs, and college levels for several programs and schools in Baltimore.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 pm I believe the color guy to whom you refer is Doug Tarring, UVA '72, St. Paul's School '68. Doug coached for years at STAB and also officiated games. He was in a class with me in the ed school and probably got his master's from there somewhere around '74 or '75. Older brother Bob also played at UVA and has coached at the youth, hs, and college levels for several programs and schools in Baltimore.
he still refs and he's pretty spry! they throw several p-by-p guys at him and he's always good.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Instead of haircuts, I much prefer Corrigan's form of interview vis-a-vis his segment "After School with the Book" on MIAA game of the week.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Harvard announcers (both of them) are well informed and excellent overall. I'll take them over the QuAC trio any day.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

I think QK's coverage of the RU/JHU game was, for once, very good. Please keep him away from Carc and/or Anish.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Drcthru wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 pm I think QK's coverage of the RU/JHU game was, for once, very good. Please keep him away from Carc and/or Anish.
You could sense it.....you really really could. Quint SO wanted to laugh at the phantom push call on Cole Williams, like he did the earlier Rutgers in the crease, goal waived off. Commenting on how behind the play the Ref was . His tongue must be sore today.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

I usually do not post critical commentary....but, listening to the commentators on CBS Sportsnetwork during the Denver-Nova lacrosse game interview the Denver hockey coach for ten minutes, while ignoring commentary of the game was less than enjoyable. I got the gist. Hockey has similarities to lacrosse. Great.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

After re-watching the Army-Navy game, I am curious, does anyone know why Evan Washburn always throws subtle shade at Navy?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The announcers today for Hop PSU are unbearable, they talk about everything but the game, I can’t take it. Carc and Quint are off the charts awful.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”